Moderate $ but great food in La Jolla?

Our son’s wife is due in mid-March and they’re taking a quick break in La Jolla. What’s really good in that area but not really pricey? Wine not as issue obviously.

Whisknladle is good, and prices are decent.

If wine is not an issue, try these guys. In house smoke house making their own sausages and cured meats. Great apps, but very beer oriented. Lively and fun.
https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/draftrepublic

We really enjoyed Whisknladle when we were in the area a few years ago.

Thanks for the input. I’m passing suggestions along. DIL has always eaten very healthy and is now on even more restrictive diet, so I’m assuming this will be a 110% menu-based decision process.

Hmm. I was going to suggest Porkyland the Mexican place in downtown La Jolla, but the comments about healthy and restricted diet probably rule it out. It’s sort of a hole in the wall (relative to La Jolla) but it used to have the best al pastor I’ve ever eaten. They had a 3.99 daily special which was the daily special for like 5 years that had 4 al pastor tacos, rice, beans, and chips. It’s now like $7 and maybe not as good but still excellent.

my rec probably won’t help you at all but I really appreciate the opportunity to take a trip down memory lane.

So thank you :slight_smile:

Scott

If you’re staying in town and are interested in breakfast, check out The Cottage. It’s one of my favorite breakfast places anywhere.

El Pescador offers good fish and seafood simply prepared.

Just went to Catania last night and enjoyed it. I think it’s the same owners as Whisknladle.

I have worked in downtown La Jolla for 12 years, so been to them all more than once

+1 on Cottage for brunch
Whisknladle is always solid.
Herringbone has beautiful ambiance and the food is always decent.
For the food and amazing view, cant beat Georges.
Puesto for high end Mexican ‘street’ food is great.

Lunch on the La Valencia patio is pretty nice.