Fondue

Anyone ever made it? Do I HAVE to include the Kirsch/ I just don’t wanna buy any, but don’t want to ruin it either. I was told Vodka is a good substitute. Thoughts? Wine to go with? I’m thinking Alsace. [imnewhere.gif]

Mmmmmmmmmmm cheese.

Hi Sarah,

I’ve only made fondue a few times, but I’ve made it with and without kirsch. I’ve used white wine, which worked perfectly well, but I’ve never tried vodka.

Melissa

Second the white wine suggestion. Have never heard of the vodka though. THat’s gotta be a STRONG fondue.

Over the years we’ve done a number of cheese fondues, with kirsh, dry white wine (usually), and brandy. I don’t think vodka would be that great.

I can’t recall ever skipping alcohol entirely myself. We’ve always used white wine ourselves, preferring it over Kirsch.

Kirsch…there is no substitute

I’ve tried raclette with two traditional pairings of Fendant and Apremont (among others). Pleasant, but those two wines are particularly uninteresting to me. I think good, traditional Alsace (i.e., not high in residual sugar) would be good - riesling, gewürz or pinot gris depending what you prefer.

I’ve found a nice, fragrant Pouilly-Fumé does well enough (2006 Raimbault-Pineau Pouilly-Fumé).

Just my 2¢,

N

Kirsh or white wine here…never tried anything else.

John

Make it several times a year. Kirsch is the best, an aromatic white (dry) wine is next on the list. I wouldn’t try the vodka.

For wine pairings, I like Alsatian Pinot Gris as my first, 2nd and 3rd choices.

Thank you, everyone for your feedback. Actually the recipe I had called for BOTH white wine and Kirsch. I ditched the kirsh. Turned out the wine I chose to use IN the fondue was off dry (no way of knowing via the label. it was a Sylvaner) It was delish! Paired it with a Chasselas from Jura :slight_smile:

All went well, except I cut my thumb on the cheese grater–gave the fondue and Umami element though.

/kidding!