Best Brisket in Austin?

Hi all,

I’ll be in Austin briefly next month and brisket is my favorite hunk of meat. Where should I eat? It’s a plus if they do other meats well, but brisket is my priority.

Thoughts? [cheers.gif]

I can’t comment intelligently, but I remember drooling while reading this thread:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1130279#p1130279

It’s an embarrassment of riches. I just had Mickelthwait Craft Meats brisket about an hour ago and it was truly exceptional. And no line.

The places I’d target are La Barbecue and Mickelthwait (in that order), with maybe Stiles Switch as well. Franklin gets universal acclaim but the line is silly. Never worth it to me, except if you want to say you’ve been there.

My favorite place in all of Texas is Louis Mueller, which is about 40 minutes outside of Austin, in Taylor. It may be the best of the really old school places, and has probably the best beef rib of anyone. (Caveat: I haven’t been to Snow’s)

I’d skip the Lockhart places.

Wow, fast responses! I am currently reading the Franklin BBQ Book, but I do hate long lines.

I am glad you mentioned Mickelthwait, because I was reading this review and there is no mention of brisket, so I was thinking they don’t do it? Yeh yeh, silly me.

Ok, I’ll target La Barbecue and Mickelthwait, and yes - I already told my wife that Stiles sounds like a cool place to go hang out. So that could be a 3rd.

Thanks Corey, thanks Ryan!

Go to Louie Mueller in Taylor.

Franklin’s line is not worth the wait for what is inside.

If you have enough people to order by the pound it’s a good way to skip the line at Franklin.

Let me be more direct.

I don’t think the product is all that good compared to a number of places in and around Austin. He is trading on his name and the coolness factor of ‘waiting in line’ playing frisbee and drinking Lone Star.

It will depend on my transportation situation I may not have a car. what’s your favorite place in Austin ?

Jimmy sent me a whole brisket from Franklin. It was the best brisket this poor California boy has ever had.

la BBQ

Wrote this based on that -

http://www.eatitatlanta.com/2013/04/23/texas-bbq-tour-by-the-legend/

Scott,

There are many good choices – as evidenced by the various responses you’ve received. While Franklin’s is very good, the line is a substantial deterrent. Additionally, not even the most partisan Franklin’s aficionado could credibly claim that la BBQ is more than a hair’s width below Franklin’s in quality. As Tex’s comments make clear, many rate la BBQ’s brisket above Franklin’s.

Ok, thanks all - my target is La BBQ first, and whatever else I get to. If I get to Tyler, I know where to go

Gracias!

This is great, thanks Michael. I skimmed it but will read in depth tomrrow

Scott, realize that since the article Michael penned is almost four years old, the Austin BBQ dynamic has changed greatly. He was spot on back then without a doubt, but we would need to have another group trip in the BBQ Triangle to get a feel where everyone ranks now. Not to mention the noobs that have popped up.

You will not be disappointed with la BBQ IMHO.

To echo Tex, time has passed and other worthy entrants exist. To my palate, however, you will not do better than the spots already recommended (indeed, I do not think that you will do as well – though you will also not do badly, on a absolute scale). Finally, I agree with Tex that la BBQ will put you at the top level of what Austin Texas has to offer vis-a-vie bbq.

If you are up for eating your brisket in a little bit different way, Valentina’s is awesome for their tacos and tortas, sort of a 1+1=3.

Glad I came across this thread as I’ll be out there too next month and was looking for some new spots to stuff my face. Thanks for the suggestions

Scott, and anyone else, if you find your way to DFW, my place has no line, is BYO friendly and free.

Another thumbs up for Valentina’s, although the brisket is chopped in their standard taco, which was a shame (you can get it sliced by ordering it in a sandwich, or in the Real Deal Holyfield breakfast taco).