Montreal Restaurant Recommendation

I’m looking to send my parents out to a nice dinner in Montreal. I’m looking for something special and high-end and not terribly adventuresome–but current and not stuffy. Basically, I’m looking for the Marea or Le Bernardin of Montreal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I suggest Le Serpent. It is current but not terribly adventuresome.
While not close in the quality I experienced at Marea, several dishes follow a similar theme as Marea. The wine list is good. Food is very good - with some dishes being excellent.

The space is cool (chic and trendy but not pretentious) but not luxurious. A bit modern steel/glass/; a criticism is there are no tablecloths.

https://www.leserpent.ca/en/

Another suggestion is Toque.

Food is excellent with a warm and inviting ambience.

The food at Le Serpent is excellent but the decor is very industrial. In the old town Le Chasse et Peche is one option, Toque another. Maison Boulud is also very special

I saw a news item that this was opening this month and wonder if it would fit the bill, https://www.joel-robuchon.com/en/restaurants-montreal-atelier.php. I ate at the original one in Paris several years ago, good meal with a bottle of Coche Rougeots for probably half of what just the bottle costs now :slight_smile:. But I don’t know how well the various outposts perform now.

Bump.

Headed to Montreal in a few weeks and looking for recs. Hotels too.

le serpent was good in old town. Au Pied Cochon was also good with a decent wine list. Joe Beef was closed.
Wine stores no good. Fairmont was just remodeled, but I’m guessing that’s not what you’re looking for.
Uber has good coverage, no Lyft.

See the travel thread

Ate dinner last night at Bouillon Bilk on St. Laurent.

Fantastic meal.
Inventive and eclectic menu with high quality ingredients in an artful and not over-done presentation.
(some dishes reminded me of Marea in NYC).
Good wine list and knowledgeable and engaging sommelier.
Recommended.

I’m looking for an old school, very French experience to take my 7 year old. She speaks French and prefers fish. Any suggestions?

I haven’t been but Le Club Chasse et Pêche?

Joe Beef still around? Or Au Pied de Cochon?

This would be my suggestion. Ate there in September and loved it. Very cool old school atmosphere as well.

Some impressions from a long new years weekend in Montreal. Note that many top places - - including Joe Beef, Candide and Toque - - all close during the Christmas to New Years span and some thereafter.

Brisket Vieux-Montréal - a smoked beef place in the Old Town convenient to our hotel, which had decent reviews on-line. It was mediocre. My companion found the meat to be dry and too fatty and the presentation to be lacking. It would have been worthwhile to visit Schwartz’s, Lester’s or Reuben’s for a comparison. My suggestion would be to avoid Brisket Vieux-Montréal and go right to one of the others.

Tuck Shop - While this place is in the Saint Henri neighborhood, it screams Brooklyn hipster, “sustainable” and “farm to table”. I think “sustainable” is the most over-used term in food marketing. I do like Brooklyn and farm to table, however. This place was very good. Creative combinations of flavors. A hipster friendly wine list. I’m pretty sure that one needs tattoos to work here. The staff was friendly, very into the food and its origins, and I noted the serious pride that they take in their restaurant. I would go back (even though Brooklyn is a mere subway ride away).

St-Viateur Bagel & Café - There are many places to go for bagels in Montreal. This one was excellent. The only downside was the wait (about 45 minutes on a Saturday late morning, much of it in zero degree temperature outside). Friendly staff. Recommended.

Le Serpent - We went here based on the favorable reviews on Wine Berserkers. I think it’s technically in the Old Town, but removed from the tourist area. It’s on the ground floor of a formerly industrial building in an industrial part of town that resembles Bushwick (yes, another Brooklyn comparison). But this is not a hipster place; it’s more adult and more upscale. We loved this restaurant. The execution of the dishes was great and we enjoyed everything. The wine list was very good. Our waiter was terrific. Recommended.

Maggie Oaks - We ate brunch here because it was in our hotel and we didn’t want to go far in the cold. It was horrible on many levels. The food was greasy and bad. Clearly nobody in the kitchen checked anything before it was sent out to the table. Service was lousy and the whole place was a tourist money-grab and very amateurish. Avoid.

Salmigondis - This was a twenty minute taxi west in a residential neighborhood. The quality of the food was very good. Another hipster wine list (sparkling “natural” Gamay anyone?). Accommodating staff. While it is a neighborhood place, I was surprised at how many Americans were dining that night, perhaps because this restaurant has had good publicity including, I think, on Eater. Certainly enjoyable for a first visit.

Overall, Montreal offers many excellent places that will keep foodies interested and happy.

This looks perfect. Joe Beef and Au Pied are on the list as well as we’ll have a week.

Can any locals recommend Bistros and Farmer’s Markets?

Paul -
Jean-Talon market, and possibly Atwater.

Those look perfect!! thank you.

If you go to Chasse et Pêche I can’t recommend the braised piglet risotto with frozen shaved foie (it’s a large app) enough. Sublime and wonderfully memorable as the frozen foie slowly melts in your mouth against the hot risotto.

Will be in Montreal in a couple of weeks. I’ve been to Jean Talon market and really liked it, but never been to Atwater market. I assume neither is open in January?

Big second for Atwater. I assume it is open because a large majority of the Summer space is enclosed.

It’s not far from Joe Beef and its sister restaurant ( the name escapes me but it is two doors down and they share the same kitchen so you can get most of the same dishes).

Just remembered - Liverpool House, which I liked slightly better than Joe Beef fwiw. It’s easier to get a reservation there too