Ground Venison Recipes?

Never used ground Venison before but I have 4lbs in the freezer. Does anyone have some successful recipes using this meat that they would like to share?

Ready, go! [cheers.gif]

any chili recipe will work. or stuffed peppers

One question though, is it 100% venison of mixed with pork? If 100% venison, you might need to add some fat.

100% venison, that’s why I asked for recipes.

4 lbs is a lot, but consider making a country-style pâté. You’ll need to add 30% pork fat to the mix. Sausage is another option.

It’s vacuum packed in 1lb portions so I don’t need to use it all at one time. Just putting out how much I have in case the recipe calls for more than 1 pound.
Thinking about a use for dinner tonight. I haven’t cooked with it in the past and was wondering if I need any specific spices to make it show well .

Brian you MUST add fat regardless. I’ve never tried this but I might add finely chopped raw bacon.

Venison is extremely lean, but not delicate at all. Everyone’s tips on incorporating fat and plenty of spices are on target. I prefer to keep it relatively healthy by kneading in olive oil instead of using pork fat. After that, you can use it as any ground meat- burgers, meatballs, chili, stuffing.

P Hickner

Scotch eggs.

Chili is a go-to among many in Indiana.

JD

Made chili last night. Mixed 1lb of venison with 1/2lb of ground pork. Seasoned with ground juniper berries and pepper then browned. Followed my normal chili recipe after that. I thought it was good, my Wife could not get over the gaminess.

Picked up some bacon to grind up with the remaining 3lbs to use as burgers. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

buy a pork shoulder, trim it close and save the fat (smoke the shoulder)

Make a deer and pork fat meatloaf with your favorite spices, or a deer and pork fat chili. Thats what I use to do, when I ate deer :slight_smile:

You still talking about dinner, or afterwards?

[wink.gif] [whistle.gif]

It was a weeknight you young whippersnapper!

Mapo Tofu. If you don’t have Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking by Fuchsia Dunlop, get it here : http://a.co/bpnAKyf

you can make burgers by running a pound of bacon through your meat grinder, then mixing with a pound of ground vension, then running it through again. now top with white cheddar and a roasted hatch chile or a chanterelle and you’re set. Makes about 3 burgers. I can provide pics if you want. This is my go to.

How about a Bolognese approach? maybe use half venison, half pork, add a bit extra fat/oil. Would probably hide the gaminess a bit as well for your wife.

+1 on the Bolognese. Or a puttanesca.

FWIW, IMO, gaminess is overwhelmingly caused by failure to make a quick, clean kill and even more often by improper field care.

here in Oregon, yes, but if the deer was eating sagebrush in Utah, their diet could have a strong effect.

and agree on the Bolognese, I made a duck organ Bolognese the other day. recipe in the Flour + Water Cookbook.