Las Vegas Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Brian Gilp

Re: Las Vegas Restaurants

#51 Post by Brian Gilp » August 30th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Is Picasso off the table as an option? It’s doesn’t have the buzz it once did but I haven’t had a bad meal there yet. Note I haven’t been there the past two years so if it’s turned downhill since then I am unaware.

Barry L i p t o n

#52 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 30th, 2018, 4:09 pm

I thought Picasso would’ve a couple steps up in price. This is a work dinner ( and we are not for profit)

Brian Gilp

#53 Post by Brian Gilp » August 30th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Figured as much but it is less than Guy Savoy. I can’t help with that part of the strip then.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Phil Smith » August 30th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I have not been there for dinner, but really like Michael Mina’s bistro in Aria.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by John Davis » August 31st, 2018, 6:32 am

Been a couple of years, but Picasso was really good the last couple of times. I would consider it if it is convenient and in your price range. And as to the previous post, Mina’s Brasserie Bardot is very good, too.

JD
ITB

Barry L i p t o n

#56 Post by Barry L i p t o n » August 31st, 2018, 9:05 am

Yes, I love Michael Mina's, more than his place in SF (although it's been a while). Too pricey for this occassion.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 4th, 2018, 7:41 pm

FWIW - friends on Facebook are raving about Herbs and Rye. Cocktails off the chain.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by alan weinberg » October 6th, 2018, 9:54 pm

was going to take son to Guy Savoy later this month but since no corkage, switched to Robuchon.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#59 Post by Robert M yers » October 6th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Do you still need a jacket and tie at Robuchon? I’m going next month but don’t want to pack for that.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by John Davis » October 7th, 2018, 8:32 am

Robert M yers wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 10:25 pm
Do you still need a jacket and tie at Robuchon? I’m going next month but don’t want to pack for that.
Depends on who you are. Last time we were there we were told jackets were required but there was a table wearing jeans and t-shirts. That and a service issue has kept us from returning. To bad, the food was very well done. Prefer Guy Savoy or Twist.

JD
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2018, 10:56 am

Picasso requires jackets. Was there w wife years ago when two guys came in wearing jeans and dirty T-shirts. As the maître d’ and chef walked toward them, I was sure they’d be thrown out. Hugs ensued and the owner of Cirque de Soleil (Laliberté) was seated and ceremoniously served (as he ordered crazy wines off list). The 4 gorgeous women with them thought the Lafon Montrachet and DRC were too sour but they loved the Yquem. I’d have been thrown out wearing that shirt—by my wife.

Darin Kendrick

#62 Post by Darin Kendrick » November 20th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Bump. Any new must hit places? I have never been to LOS so plan to go there. I have 1 other night?
ITB Domaine Glennon

James Cross

#63 Post by James Cross » November 21st, 2018, 9:48 am

A new place that has garnered a lot of attention is Sparrow and Wolf. It is a couple miles west of the Strip on Spring Mtn. next to Macy's home store. They do a lot of innovative meat dishes, so much so that they were picketed by PETA. Wine selection is poor; $25 corkage is the way to go. Easy Uber/Lyft trip. Moderate prices.

Another is Partage in the old Chada Street location on Spring Mtn further west than Sparrow. Prices are high; basically French food. They hawk the fixed price with wine pairings and you can spend a lot of $ if you are not careful.

Bank's new place is supposed to open in December. It is in the same general area; no info on the concept other than it won't be another Chada.

Darin Kendrick

#64 Post by Darin Kendrick » November 26th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Thanks James. I’m there Dec 12-14. Which would you choose for best meal? I’m pretty easy going and deciding factors for me are great experience, food, and winelist in that order.

Any other ideas from others? TIA

Darin
ITB Domaine Glennon

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 26th, 2018, 4:58 pm

James Cross wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 9:48 am
A new place that has garnered a lot of attention is Sparrow and Wolf. It is a couple miles west of the Strip on Spring Mtn. next to Macy's home store. They do a lot of innovative meat dishes, so much so that they were picketed by PETA. Wine selection is poor; $25 corkage is the way to go. Easy Uber/Lyft trip. Moderate prices.
That was my experience in July. If I would have known about the PETA picket, I would have gone back a second time ->

"Sparrow + Wolf (Chinatown) - probably the highlight of the trip, ahead of Kitchen at Atomic. Bone marrow and beef cheek dumplings were fantastic, as was the hamachi carpaccio. Duck and foie combo was good, as were the several veggie items (barbecued salsify, maitake mushrooms, etc). Wine list could use some help, but for a strip mall store next a Macy’s furniture depot, I’m a fan"

James Cross

#66 Post by James Cross » November 27th, 2018, 8:58 am

Darin: Andrew pretty much nails it on Sparrow and I'd also recommend it. I usually take one red and pay the $25 corkage and buy a glass or bottle of white off the list; they have a few things that are ok, like Spanish albarinos. Either Burg or Bordeaux would work with the food; you can check the menu online.

Another new place worth a mention is Mordero Wine Bar. It is really a small plates and mostly Spanish wines establishment. Location is also on Spring Mtn Road about a mile west of Sparrow, so it's an easy trip. You could check them out online as well. I think this is a chain operation from Australia or ??

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by fred o. » November 28th, 2018, 12:04 am

Darin Kendrick wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Thanks James. I’m there Dec 12-14. Which would you choose for best meal? I’m pretty easy going and deciding factors for me are great experience, food, and winelist in that order.

Any other ideas from others? TIA

Darin
lazy/unimaginative when in Vegas and only go to places on the strip, but two places I've really enjoyed lately are Momofuku (the wine list is a bit spendy and corkage is $50 per with max of 2, I believe, but the food is great, especially the large format dishes like the duck, pork bossam, etc., which are also available at lunch), and Carbone (very friendly sommelier service; have to get the spicy rigatoni).

Chris.Martin

#68 Post by Chris.Martin » March 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Bumping this thread as I'm heading to Vegas in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. Has anyone had any spectacular meals in Vegas recently. Or is there anything new and exciting in Vegas?

James Cross

#69 Post by James Cross » March 11th, 2019, 9:18 am

A few additions. Bank's new place is open. Some friends went there last night and I'm awaiting their report.

A couple others worth a mention; both in Summerlin, but doable with Lyft. Andiron and Honey Salt, both run by a husband/wife team that get a lot of good PR. She has been on Food Network and CBS Saturday Morning. Check out the menus; brunch is especially good at Honey Salt. Honey Salt has half price wine on one weeknight (Tue or Wed?) and there are some ok deals. They allow corkage ($25) on other nights.

Barry L i p t o n

#70 Post by Barry L i p t o n » March 11th, 2019, 9:24 am

I've been to Michael Mina and Joel Robuchon each the last two times I've been there.

The second time Joel Robuchon wasn't quite as brilliant as the time before but still very good. First time was absolutely awesome.
Michael Mina was amazing both times.

Joe W i n o g r a d

#71 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » March 11th, 2019, 11:07 am

James Cross wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:18 am
Bank's new place is open. Some friends went there last night and I'm awaiting their report.
What’s its name?

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by M.Kaplan » March 11th, 2019, 11:34 am

^Lamaii. Excellent.
---Mark

MBerto

#73 Post by MBerto » March 29th, 2019, 8:50 am

Anyone got a recommendation for a place not on the strip that is not LoS? Preferably something I can do as a party of 1.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#74 Post by Robert M yers » March 29th, 2019, 9:29 am

Sit at the small bar at Raku?

MBerto

#75 Post by MBerto » March 29th, 2019, 11:05 am

I'm intrigued. You know if the bar takes reservations?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#76 Post by Robert M yers » March 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

You know we’ve been there 3 or 4 times over the years and have always had a reservation, but Im not sure if it was specifically for the bar? If not, It’s been open every time though because that’s the only place we have dined. I can’t imagine I wouldn’t have requested it after the first time though. We’ve always enjoyed watching the guy behind the bar do his thing prepping food and bantering ect even with our limited ability due to language barrier.

saul_cooperstein

#77 Post by saul_cooperstein » March 30th, 2019, 9:35 am

Bazaar Meat
Bardot

Joe W i n o g r a d

#78 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » April 9th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Made it to Lamaii tonight!

Iffy strip mall location with several abandoned storefronts but a beautiful room once you go in. Really terrific service too.

They are serving from a modest sized menu with a mix of common and unusual Thai selections. One dish was outstanding (salmon) and two were average. The flavors were interesting and different from typical US Thai fare but (surprisingly) had no heat despite our request for some.

The wine list is top notch and incredibly well priced; we had the 2013 Hirtzberger Honivogl GV Smaragd and it was about 1x retail (!).

It was a good crowd for a Weds night so it looks like they could make a go of it. I would definitely return.

James Cross

#79 Post by James Cross » April 12th, 2019, 10:04 am

I finally made it to Lamaii last week and pretty much agree with Joe's comments. The strip mall is part of a Macy's Home Store complex; it's fine, way better than the original Lotus location. Sparrow and Wolf is also in that strip mall with plenty of free parking. The server asked us about heat and we got some. For vino, it was a Domaine Weinbach pinot blanc at about retail. Very nice wine and a good pairing.

Some so called "millenials" were at the next table and had 2 Caymus cabs with their food; what a pairing; ugh!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 9th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Looks like Kitchen at Atomic is slowing down a bit; they're closed Mon/Tues now.

Any chance somebody has a great idea for a place in a similar price range? Footing the bill for a six top of international people, which means I'm a baller on a budget ;) Lamaii looks good, but might be a little adventurous for the crowd.

James Cross

#81 Post by James Cross » July 10th, 2019, 10:16 am

I'll chime in again. For non adventurous types, how about meat? Bazaar Meat in SLS (Sahara) was mentioned, but you might exceed your unlimited budget. I'd suggest Echo and Rig in Tivoli Village.....FREE CORKAGE.....use that to pay for Lyft. It's about 10 miles from the Strip. Decent steak house if too noisy.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Echo and Rig looks awesome, but drive looks brutal (~25-30 mins from the strip). Also considering Carson Kitchen, which looks great and is downtown.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by John Davis » July 10th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Last visit to Bardot (late May) was disappointing. The food was fine but nothing more. The staff were arguing with each other (or so we thought due to body language and open animated “conversations”) and the service was lacking. I’ve recommended it before but won’t again. We go to Vegas about once a year and it is “off the list”; too many other options.

JD
ITB

Steve Crawford

#84 Post by Steve Crawford » July 10th, 2019, 3:15 pm

was in vegas 2 weeks back, was in Vetri for just drinks and 2 pastas (outstanding) and then walked over to tatsujin x. same owner as raku. great food and value.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 13th, 2019, 7:21 pm

CarneVino is permanently closed :(

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by G. Keeler » July 13th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 7:21 pm
CarneVino is permanently closed :(
I thought it closed in 2018? It was when I walked by it last year.
G L E N N

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Lamaii was solid tonight. We hit both Hirtzberger bottles and closed with a 2013 Schafer-Frolich Bockenhauer Riesling.

Carson Kitchen was underwhelming, which was disappointing, given the hype from some foodie friends. On the bright side, I finally got to meet up with Jim Brennan. The wine list was non-existent, so we destroyed the cocktail menu. Crispy chicken skins and a pork belly dish were the only two medium-lights on the menu, imho.

Echo and Rig - hit tonight. Great food, o.k. Wine list (we’re out of several wines I chose and the server kept trying to upsell us) but holy crap it’s in the middle of nowhere. $48 taxi fare out and $25 uber back. There’s no way I’d go back, given options in 15 min range.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 18th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Go Sparrow and Wolf!!!
Attachments
D290C962-24EF-4B68-B3FC-D417F98F6D6B.jpeg

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 2nd, 2019, 1:26 pm

Didn't realize Echo & Rig is free corkage...very interesting.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 2nd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm
Lamaii was solid tonight. We hit both Hirtzberger bottles and closed with a 2013 Schafer-Frolich Bockenhauer Riesling.

Carson Kitchen was underwhelming, which was disappointing, given the hype from some foodie friends. On the bright side, I finally got to meet up with Jim Brennan. The wine list was non-existent, so we destroyed the cocktail menu. Crispy chicken skins and a pork belly dish were the only two medium-lights on the menu, imho.

Echo and Rig - hit tonight. Great food, o.k. Wine list (we’re out of several wines I chose and the server kept trying to upsell us) but holy crap it’s in the middle of nowhere. $48 taxi fare out and $25 uber back. There’s no way I’d go back, given options in 15 min range.
IT'S LOCAL FOR SOME OF US! neener

All kidding aside, I'm sure the drive felt shitty coming from the strip.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 4th, 2019, 2:26 pm

@Matt - we debated over whether or not we’d go back next year, given location. Food was great, as were the cocktails and I thought I had people trained after Lamaii and Sparrow & Wolf. But, when you get out of a Tech Check at 20:45 and drive 30 mins to get there, the post-dinner drive back is rough!

Ryan A

#92 Post by Ryan A » August 4th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Does anyone have feedback on Bazaar Meats?

Side question- does Vegas allow BYOB with a corkage of course? Thanks!
Ryan A n s e l l

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by John Davis » August 5th, 2019, 7:16 am

Ryan A wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Does anyone have feedback on Bazaar Meats?

Side question- does Vegas allow BYOB with a corkage of course? Thanks!
Yes, many places allow BYOB in LV. Always check first, of course. MGM properties have a limit of 2 btls per table. Regardless of your party's size. Corkage fees vary.

JD
ITB

Ryan A

#94 Post by Ryan A » August 5th, 2019, 8:10 am

Thank you JD.
Ryan A n s e l l

James Cross

#95 Post by James Cross » August 5th, 2019, 9:14 am

Bazaar Meats. Cash your IRA before you go. Food is impressive; they haul the meat out on stretchers. They have separate kitchens for meat, fish, and everything else. I got a tour from their somm. He's got around 1,000 separate labels and wants to take it to 1,500. All the wines are pricey but I found a few lesser Rhones and Italians which didn't break the bank. The restaurant is in the Sahara (recently renamed from the SLS which was the renamed Sahara). It is roughly on Sahara and the Strip.

Ryan A

#96 Post by Ryan A » August 5th, 2019, 9:18 am

Thanks James- wow that’s crazy. I will look under my couch cushions and maybe dip into my little ones piggy back- hey don’t judge all for a good cause.

I am sure nothing uber expensive is worth it but is it ‘worth’ going to?

Thank you again,
Ryan
Ryan A n s e l l

James Cross

#97 Post by James Cross » August 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

Yes....and I'd go back frequently if my friends weren't so worried about money. On my next visit, I will splurge on wine.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 5th, 2019, 4:24 pm

James Cross wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:26 am
Yes....and I'd go back frequently if my friends weren't so worried about money. On my next visit, I will splurge on wine.
Count me in.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by M.Kaplan » August 5th, 2019, 6:34 pm

James Cross wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:14 am
Bazaar Meats. Cash your IRA before you go. Food is impressive; they haul the meat out on stretchers. They have separate kitchens for meat, fish, and everything else. I got a tour from their somm. He's got around 1,000 separate labels and wants to take it to 1,500. All the wines are pricey but I found a few lesser Rhones and Italians which didn't break the bank. The restaurant is in the Sahara (recently renamed from the SLS which was the renamed Sahara). It is roughly on Sahara and the Strip.
Bazaar Meats is my favorite meat emporium in Las Vegas. Going with a bigger party is better, because you can order more things. In addition to beefy treats, don’t overlook the suckling pig.

They are byo cooperative. Corkage charges are random.
---Mark

Ryan A

#100 Post by Ryan A » August 5th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Thanks Mark. I called and they said $35/bottle max of two can’t be same wine/vintage as on their list.
Ryan A n s e l l

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”