Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Las Vegas Restaurants

#101 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Ryan A wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Thanks Mark. I called and they said $35/bottle max of two can’t be same wine/vintage as on their list.
That’s pretty typical, from what I’ve seen. Call and confirm the wine before you go though; I looked online and (Delmonico) didn’t have one of the bottles I brought listed, but when I arrived, it was on a “100 Pointers” insert. I was able to name drop and talk my way out of it (brought a Bionic Frog, as well), but was a pain in the rear.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Ryan A

#102 Post by Ryan A » August 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Thanks- great advice
Ryan A n s e l l

joz€f p1nxten

#103 Post by joz€f p1nxten » August 8th, 2019, 7:22 am

Will be heading on an Arizona / LA trip in December / January with my wife. We'll be in LV for 2 nights (one of which is NYE unfortunately). From what I can see on here, the following options look good:

Lamaii
Sparrow & Wolf

Both more adventurous cooking? If you come across anything else in the genre, let me know. BYOB not an option as we are flying cross-atlantic....
Jozef

Ryan A

#104 Post by Ryan A » August 8th, 2019, 8:02 am

Josef- If you want to buy something in the US, you can always have it delivered to your hotel from the store.

I live in AZ- happy to help with anything you need (things to do, restaurants, day trips, etc).
Ryan A n s e l l

joz€f p1nxten

#105 Post by joz€f p1nxten » August 8th, 2019, 8:34 am

Ryan A wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 8:02 am
Josef- If you want to buy something in the US, you can always have it delivered to your hotel from the store.

I live in AZ- happy to help with anything you need (things to do, restaurants, day trips, etc).
Thank you Ryan. A good idea on having wine delivered to a hotel, never done that in my life... just need to find a good BYOB in Las Vegas then!

Other than that, I just need to figure out a couple of restaurants in Las Vegas and LA. We will be travelling mostly in Arizona and part of Utah, in more remote locations, where there will not be that many options I guess. It's not a wine focused trip :-)
Jozef

Ryan A

#106 Post by Ryan A » August 8th, 2019, 8:45 am

PM sent
Ryan A n s e l l

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 8th, 2019, 8:52 am

joz€f p1nxten wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:22 am
Will be heading on an Arizona / LA trip in December / January with my wife. We'll be in LV for 2 nights (one of which is NYE unfortunately). From what I can see on here, the following options look good:

Lamaii
Sparrow & Wolf

Both more adventurous cooking? If you come across anything else in the genre, let me know. BYOB not an option as we are flying cross-atlantic....
Have to laugh audibly here, as they’re two of my favorites... but to see “best of Las Vegas” and think two restaurants next to each other 15 mins off the Strip, in a strip mall known for its discount Macy’s furniture warehouse IS funny :)
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

joz€f p1nxten

#108 Post by joz€f p1nxten » August 8th, 2019, 9:05 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 8:52 am
joz€f p1nxten wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 7:22 am

Lamaii
Sparrow & Wolf

Have to laugh audibly here, as they’re two of my favorites... but to see “best of Las Vegas” and think two restaurants next to each other 15 mins off the Strip, in a strip mall known for its discount Macy’s furniture warehouse IS funny :)
No idea, never been there, there were just 2 restaurants recommended here, and as generally, taste in wine accompanies taste in food, I do have good confidence that they will be at a minimum decent :-).

Anyway, we will be walking around in LV just for the experience, but food wise, I prefer something more local to the tourist restaurants on the strip. Again, never been there, so we'll see and maybe I will be completely wrong. It will definitely be different from our August holiday in Fixin (France)...
Jozef

David Goerisch

#109 Post by David Goerisch » August 8th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Love Bazaar Meats. We've been four or five times.

In my opinion the secret to avoiding a second mortgage is to not order the giant steaks. We order numerous items from the first page of the menu. Any of the items on the "Some Little Starters" part of the menu, but particularly the cotton candy foie gras, the modern and traditional olives, and either of the croquetas. We always get the Jamon Iberico de Bellota - pricey at $70 but so good and a generous portion. Make sure you add the tomato bread with the Bellota. There are also some amazing items under the "More Meats" section on the second page of the menu. The wagyu beef cheeks are amazing, as is the braised lamb neck. And you can't miss the Buttered Potato Puree, which he used to call the Robuchon potatoes, but apparently they received a cease and desist letter. Whatever they're called, they rock!

Another great way to go is that they offer a seasonal tasting menu that they don't push in the restaurant. (The menus are available on the SLS website.) The summer menu is $80. We had a similar menu last time we went and added on the Bellota ham and tomato bread.

As for wine, make sure you chat with the somm. They have a robust Coravin program that is not always listed on the menu. We had several awesome wines last time (I'll have to go through my pictures and see if I can recall what they were) for very fair prices, particularly considering Vegas pricing.

Ryan A

#110 Post by Ryan A » August 8th, 2019, 1:39 pm

David- Love it! Thank you so very much- now I am even more excited. I have a couple of nice bottles I am bringing and will follow your lead on the Coravin and/or suggestions the Somm pulls out (seems like a nice guy over the phone). Thank for the awesome detail and suggestions.
Ryan A n s e l l

Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Colin Haggerty » August 10th, 2019, 4:57 pm

John Davis wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Last visit to Bardot (late May) was disappointing. The food was fine but nothing more. The staff were arguing with each other (or so we thought due to body language and open animated “conversations”) and the service was lacking. I’ve recommended it before but won’t again. We go to Vegas about once a year and it is “off the list”; too many other options.

JD
Hi John:

It is sad to hear that you did not have a good experience at your last Bardot Brasserie visit. We live in Las Vegas and it is perhaps our favorite restaurant. We dine there frequently. Last March we did a private Léoville-Las Cases vertical there, which I wrote up in CellarTracker. They did a spectacular job.

CellarTracker: Bardot Brasserie Léoville Las Cases Vertical Dinner

Colin [cheers.gif]

F.Daner

#112 Post by F.Daner » August 11th, 2019, 1:49 pm

We loved Carbone in Aria. Veal Parm, Spicy Rigatoni and the meatballs. Great vibe and solid BTG list and cocktails. Over delivers for the $ for Vegas. I'll be going back in Feb.
Fred

Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Colin Haggerty » August 12th, 2019, 8:19 am

F.Daner wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 1:49 pm
We loved Carbone in Aria. Veal Parm, Spicy Rigatoni and the meatballs. Great vibe and solid BTG list and cocktails. Over delivers for the $ for Vegas. I'll be going back in Feb.
I'll second that. Carbone is one of our favorites. The food and atmosphere are great. Although seasonal based upon the heirloom tomatoes, the caprese salad is amazing. They will warn you that it takes a little extra time, because the mozzarella is made to order!

Colin [cheers.gif]

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 12th, 2019, 8:57 am

I've eaten at Carbone twice. First time it flat out sucked. Second time it was really good. YMMV.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by John Davis » August 13th, 2019, 5:40 am

Also had a good meal at Carbone. We’ve only been once but it was very good.

JD
ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”