Wine pairing for cioppino?

Pinot? Zin? Dry rose? Thoughts?

Sangiovese would be traditional.

That’s what I’ve always poured, a nice chianti classico.

How spicy is your recipe? I personally think a good Riesling could also be a great pairing.

Ours is spicy and we are non-traditional so we serve Zinfandel, Pinot and and either Reisling or a Sec Vouvray.

Riesling and Vouvray make a lot of sense to me. Or a rose. Red wine would taste horrific with this dish to me and many other people.

What about a Rhone white? I’ve done that in the past and thought it worked (though the sauce wasn’t particularly spicy).

Huet.

Had the cioppino last night with Pinot and a chianti (2009 Auteur shea vnyd Pinot, 2011 grevepesa lamole grand selection chianti). The cioppino was not spicy. Both were good, and the dish seemed very different depending on the wine had with it. With the Pinot it seemed elegant, like a French fish stew. The sweetness came forward. With the chianti it seemed much more like a delightful Italian fish stew, warming, cheering, but not elegant. I liked the Pinot match better, but my friend, who loves Italian food but is not an oenophile, liked the chianti better as a match. So both were good.

I like the idea of the suggested Loire whites, or maybe a Rosé from Bandol (what about an American interpretation ~ Tercero Vogelzang Mourvedre Rosé or Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rosé?).

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like a fine evening.