First Sous Vide - Flannery Ribeye's - Help?

Been wanting to try out the immersion cooker for a few months, have some Flannery cuts that I’m going to try tonight, would like some suggestions if you have any.

The steaks are still in the vacuum sealed bags from Flannery, I’m thinking I should repack in another bag with some seasonings, any advice what works well?

Was going to cook around 126 F for 1 hour then grill or pan sear briefly, but also open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, steak is one thing I don’t like sous vide. I feel that the steaks, especially ribeyes, end up with a weird texture. I would suggest trying something like carrots in the sous vide - sounds boring but carrots and some other vegetables are some of my favorite things to use it with.

I like to season with S&P about 30 min prior to starting the cooking process in the SV. Season then bag and seal rest 30 min (while SV bath come up to temp) then cook… I also tend to get the cast iron skillet into an oven pre-heating as well. Butter, herbs & garlic for a baste in the skillet. Picked up this from Serious eats

I like mid-range steak in the sous vide but feel it really doesn’t do Flannery (or deBragga, or Creekstone, or …) justice.

I’m happier with the reverse sear compared to sous vide. It seems to concentrate the beefiness, in addition to getting the desired texture & level of doneness.

Echoing the above comments. Especially a marbled cut like ribeye

IMG_6350.JPG
SV prime eye of ribeye with a butter thyme rosemary and garlic baste
IMG_6384.JPG

I think it’s because the sous vide doesn’t get the meat hot enough to render the fat. So you end up with uncooked fat, not that appetizing in a steak. For a filet though, it’s fantastic. Or pork chops, or fish…

I agree that steak doesn’t benefit too much from sous vide, especially for extended cooking times. However, knowing that I can bring a bunch of steaks up to say, 125 degrees, uniformly and then simply worry about the exterior when I cook them over screaming hot charcoal is pretty cool when cooking for a group and there are other time sensitive items on the menu.

Same thing with burgers for a crowd, major time saver.

I love sous vide for burgers.

Sous Vide is great for tri-tip.

Really… what temp and how long? Finish on tgd grill or fry pan I assume? I never would have thought of this

The interesting thing about using sous vide for burgers is that if you cook them long enough at a low temp you’ll pasteurize the meat thereby eliminating any concerns about cooking burgers to rare.

As always, Kenji has the answers:

“With sous-vide methods, you have a bit more leeway as beef can be safely pasteurized at temperatures as low as 130°F if held for long enough. At 130°F, it takes 2 hours to safely pasteurize beef, while at 140°F, it takes only 12 minutes. Remember—these timeframes begin once the center of the burger reaches pasteurization temperature, so it’s a good idea to add an extra half hour to those times for any burger you plan on pasteurizing.”

Cook any meat in a warming drawer at the desired final temperature wrapped in foil. Easy to set the temperature. Then sear the meat on a skillet, broiler, or propane torch to get the crust. I have been doing this for years. Never a failure. Always a success.

Tom, presumably in a regular oven given the foil. Timing? (For say 1.5" striploins, or for 1"+ thick burgers)

Just make sure to bag the patties in a single layer. Sous Vide at 133F for min 30 minutes min/60 minutes max and then finish quickly on the grill or fry pan depending on your preference. Very easy and allows you to cut down on your active cook time while managing everything else.

A big +1. Don’t waste such a good stack as Flannery on a Sous Vide. Throw that sucker on the BBQ