L.A. Grand Central Market

I get here fairly infrequently… Aside from the hyped up spots (Eggslut) what are your favorite vendors here? I think G&B coffee is quite good. For a gut bomb I do like Eggslut but if the line is always 40+ long I’ll never eat there again. Found Wexler’s a bit disappointing. Interested in opinions on the Salvadorean Pupuseria and Tacos Tumbras.

Good article in LA Mag:

The taco place right next to Egg Slut is great.

It seems like you’ve had ES before, that said, if you don’t wait for Egg Slut, you’re really missing out…first ballot hall of fame egg sandwich.

I’ve had a few from ES and enjoyed, but both times someone brought it to me so wasn’t super fresh. I’ll check it outside of the weekend but when we were there on a Sat AM the line must have been close to 75 ppl long. Not gonna happen with my 2 yr old in tow.

Full disclosure they are friends. Having said that DTLA Cheese is one of best Cheese purveyors in the country and their food is very good as well.

This is the place you’re talking about.

AMAZING. Nose to tail tacos, every part of the pig possible. They do a fantastic mixed taco which is tripe, skin, carnitas. THey also give out samples.

I also frequent sticky rice for their thai hainan chicken as well as sticky rice 2 (they are back to back) for their noodles and tea.

I go maybe 3 times a month to GCM. love it.

Egg slut I don’t love that much but to each their own.

Not everyone is perfect… neener

I was thinking about what Charlie wrote about not loving Egg Slut. I’m a very big egg sandwich fan. In fact, the only thing better than an egg sandwich is two egg sandwiches. It’s probably worth it’s own thread, but I’d be interested in what people think the best egg sandwich is if it’s not Egg Slut.

Avoid Ramen Hood…some of the blandest food I’ve ever had.

place sucks. Vegan Ramen has no place on earth.

Check out Belcampo’s double fast burger. Probably one of the best burgers at $10 and below.

Hmmm. Ox & Son Breakfast Sandi, Avocado Toast at The Bellwether (add bacon and/or homemade sausage), Huevos O’Groats at John O’Groats, Chef’s BLT and Egg Sandwich at Boneyard Bistro, Breakfast Sandwich at Blue Plate, Fried Egg Sandwich at Huckleberry, are a few that I like.

Egg Slut is just boring. There’s nothing special about the bread the use, the egg they use, the meat they use. It’s just an egg sandwich.

Nothing is worse than turkey sausage. Their bacon doesn’t have enough flavor. I’ve gone quite a few times hoping i’d change my mind (labor board is across the street) and I havent.

agree. After going time and again to GCM, it actually has a lot of mediocre stalls that aren’t that interesting.

Sticky rice is legit. So is their expansion spot.
Knead makes some real good pastas.
Las Morelianas is probably the best pork based taco spot in all of Los Angeles.
Belcampo’s double fast burger is the best sub $10 burger out there.
Sarita’s Pupuseria does some good pupusas but REALLY great menudo on friday.
G&B is consistently ranked as one of the best coffee producers/shops in Los Angeles
La Tostaderia does a very nice ceviche.

Just rotate among those places and you’re good to go.

But those legacy shops like Tacos Tumbras A tomas (this one is crazy popular for no reason), Ana Maria, Bento Ya, China Cafe, Roast to go are awful. Jonathon Gold single handily saved Roast to go and that’s a pity cause it sucks.

No one has said Wexler’s. It is the only reason you need to go. Best pastrami in town, and that’s coming from a longtime Langers devotee.

Wexler’s is overrated. Great texture (when it does have some integrity - sometimes it is far too soft), but not enough pepper/flavor.

I would agree re: La Morelianas. Not only is it tasty, but it is so unique it is hard to pass up. I also like Knead (the sandwiches are great also) and the burger from Belcampo.

Egg Slut is good, but I think most of the hype is a result of how much most of the egg sandwiches in LA suck. It’s, essentially, a better than decent egg, on a better than decent roll with better than decent bacon. Nothing great about it.

Russell, I disagree.

I live in the westside, so mostly frequent Wexler’s in Santa Monica. Their pastrami is uneven. Sometimes great, sometimes not (crumbly and dry). They need to be more consistent. And their bread is subpar. I buy better rye at the deli in Vicente Foods. The smoked turkey is dry. Fish is good, though, even if the servings are paltry. I want to like it more than I do.

RUSSELL IT’S LIKE LOOKING IN A MIRROR. A MIRROR WITH OPINIONS THAT REFLECT MINE flirtysmile flirtysmile

Yeah Wexler totally overrated. Same feelings on Egg Slut.

Well Ken, you are entitled to your opinion (even if it’s wrong).