Coffee Roasting Question

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coffee Roasting Question

#101 Post by alan weinberg » January 2nd, 2019, 6:00 pm

I have a new model. Maybe I don’t notice it. Not out there. Usually mine sits at 284-288 till I hit C and D then toggle between P5 and P4 to keep around 300 during first crack. Will check next roast and see!

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#103 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 16th, 2019, 10:35 am

Slight thread-drift, but I've decided to take the plunge into Epsresso and was looking at entry-machines. Any thoughts between the Rancilio Silvia, Breville Bambino Plus, or Gaggia Classic Pro? I'm attracted to the learning curve of the Rancilio but don't know how steep it is.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by TimF » July 31st, 2020, 6:52 am

My wife has been roasting using a Hottop for the past 10.5 years. It's quite a workhorse handling over a pound a week during that time period. Thing even survived catching on fire! She's had a bunch of issues with it tripping circuits lately. I could probably spend some time/money troubleshooting but was also thinking of treating her to a new roaster. Has anyone splurged on the Bullet Roaster? The thing looks like a small tank. I'm curious to hear experiences if anyone has one.

https://aillio.com/?product=bullet-roaster-r1
Tim F@itsch

Christos M.

#105 Post by Christos M. » July 31st, 2020, 8:32 am

This thread brings back memories of my roasting days. I went from a popcorn popper to a MacGyver'ed bread machine/heat gun set up to a Behmor. Loved roasting my own beans and got fairly into sourcing beans directly from farms. Then I set my garage on fire roasting beans and have since stuck to buying roasted beans haha. Nobody was hurt and it makes for a great story. Since then I've moved to NYC and just don't have the room or the desire anymore to roast.
Wine is life.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by alan weinberg » August 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm

TimF wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:52 am
My wife has been roasting using a Hottop for the past 10.5 years. It's quite a workhorse handling over a pound a week during that time period. Thing even survived catching on fire! She's had a bunch of issues with it tripping circuits lately. I could probably spend some time/money troubleshooting but was also thinking of treating her to a new roaster. Has anyone splurged on the Bullet Roaster? The thing looks like a small tank. I'm curious to hear experiences if anyone has one.

https://aillio.com/?product=bullet-roaster-r1
I have followed it from inception but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I read good things. Check out sweet Maria. Probably the roaster I’d buy when I graduate from Behmor.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by TimF » August 1st, 2020, 5:33 pm

Sweet Maria’s is where I bought our Hottop. We buy almost all of our beans there.
Tim F@itsch

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by alan weinberg » August 1st, 2020, 5:39 pm

TimF wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:33 pm
Sweet Maria’s is where I bought our Hottop. We buy almost all of our beans there.
look at Bodhi Leaf I buy from both.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by TimF » August 1st, 2020, 5:49 pm

Will do. We used to buy from Coffee Bean Corral. Not sure if they’re still around.

We visited a plantation in Costa Rica several years ago. Saw the whole process. It’s amazingly simple. I got to the gift shop and found someone who spoke English. I asked to buy green beans. No matter how hard I asked it was a no go. Apparently it would be illegal to take them home. Lots of rules and regulations around green beans I guess.

My son raking beans.
CBD37A63-8BDE-4CC5-B740-04263A3FB2FC.jpeg
Tim F@itsch

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”