Best Burger in Each State

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Eric Sch

Re: Best Burger in Each State

#51 Post by Eric Sch » October 6th, 2019, 9:51 am

SeanHarding wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:45 pm
I don't even want to admit how many times I've gone to Umami, each time thinking that finally it will live up to my expectations (maybe I ordered wrong, maybe they were having an off day, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood...) and ending up disappointed....
That's how I feel about Shake Shack. Some of my teammates swear by it but every time I try one... meh. Same as with In-N-Out.

As for the list, not familiar with the Oregon selection, but I have a hard time believing that Portland doesn't have a better offering than an 18 ounce monstrosity. That's just size not quality. I love Killer Burger for an quality chain burger, and others like Canard, St Jack, or Le Pigeon are awesome too.
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#52 Post by Adam Frisch » October 6th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Whaaat, you don't like Shake Shack? Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by SeanHarding » October 6th, 2019, 7:06 pm

I like Shake Shack, but I do feel that as they have grown and expanded, the consistency has dropped significantly. Or maybe I was just luckier in the early days.

J. Rock

#54 Post by J. Rock » October 7th, 2019, 9:29 am

I think the burger at Father's Office, while solid, is quite over rated.

I haven't had every burger in CA, but the best I've had, and by a good margin, is the Trois Mec burger at Petit Trois, which is far, far better than the burger at Father's Office.
J o r d a n

J. Rock

#55 Post by J. Rock » October 7th, 2019, 9:36 am

SeanHarding wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:45 pm
I don't even want to admit how many times I've gone to Umami, each time thinking that finally it will live up to my expectations (maybe I ordered wrong, maybe they were having an off day, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood...) and ending up disappointed....
When Umami first came out, and when it had maybe only 3 or so restaurants, I think they had some of the best, if not the best, burgers in town. However, after expanding more and more, in my experience, their quality control has plummeted. I haven't been in at least 3 or more years, but when I received an overcooked burger on my third consecutive visit to Umami, I swore to never return. Overcooking a burger is an unforgivable sin for restaurant that specializes in burgers, let alone one that charges $10+/burger.
J o r d a n

Scott G r u n e r

#56 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 7th, 2019, 10:06 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Whaaat, you don't like Shake Shack? Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.
Shake Shack is OK. Been to stores in NYC and London. Burgers are decent but over-priced and the fries are not good IMO. I typically get the smokestack or whatever it is called. Will give the new local store a try at some point, but last time I went I felt I had been serious robbed- I think it came to be something like $75 for four people - WTF is that? Granted that was in London- so possibly more expensive than normal.

I'd rather go to 5 guys and get good fries. YMMV.
//Cynic

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by M.Kaplan » October 7th, 2019, 10:11 am

J. Rock wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 9:29 am
I think the burger at Father's Office, while solid, is quite over rated.

I haven't had every burger in CA, but the best I've had, and by a good margin, is the Trois Mec burger at Petit Trois, which is far, far better than the burger at Father's Office.
Au contraire. The burger at Petit Trois is a disgusting mess. I like all of the things in it, but not together, swimming in bordelaise sauce. It lacks texture and the flavors are all very one note and ponderous. I like Ludo, Jon, & Vinny's cooking, but not that. Give me a Belcampo burger any day. By the way, the best burger in the history of Los Angeles was David Myer's Comme Ҫa burger.
---Mark

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by SeanHarding » October 7th, 2019, 10:30 am

J. Rock wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 9:36 am
When Umami first came out, and when it had maybe only 3 or so restaurants, I think they had some of the best, if not the best, burgers in town.
I think their style just doesn't resonate with me. The first time I had an Umami Burger was at the Santa Monica location shortly after it opened, and even then I just wasn't impressed. I don't love the texture of their patties, and their flavor combinations aren't really my favorite (or they don't live up to the description).

G. Greenbaum

#59 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 7th, 2019, 2:40 pm

IMHO, Apple Pan is the quintessential Los Angeles burger place. It has history, quality, flavor, nostalgia (for many). It may not be the best burger, but the experience, I would argue, is.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

jordan whitehead

#60 Post by jordan whitehead » October 7th, 2019, 3:50 pm

SHake Shack>>>Au Cheval
www.annaswish.org

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2019, 7:38 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 10:30 am
J. Rock wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 9:36 am
When Umami first came out, and when it had maybe only 3 or so restaurants, I think they had some of the best, if not the best, burgers in town.
I think their style just doesn't resonate with me. The first time I had an Umami Burger was at the Santa Monica location shortly after it opened, and even then I just wasn't impressed. I don't love the texture of their patties, and their flavor combinations aren't really my favorite (or they don't live up to the description).
different Umami restaurants present a completely different burger. I like the Costa Mesa place and not the one in Anaheim . . . consistent multiple data points. But not a great burger. My fave is Fat Burger’s Kingburger.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Craig G » October 7th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 10:06 am
I'd rather go to 5 guys and get good fries. YMMV.
LOL. If only they had them.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 7th, 2019, 8:27 pm

You need to demote Burger King, now that they have an Impossible Whopper.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by M.Kaplan » October 7th, 2019, 11:58 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 2:40 pm
IMHO, Apple Pan is the quintessential Los Angeles burger place. It has history, quality, flavor, nostalgia (for many). It may not be the best burger, but the experience, I would argue, is.
100% agree for my father, myself, and my children. Among us, we've been going since they opened in 1947.
---Mark

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Jay Miller » October 9th, 2019, 10:58 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 6:14 pm
I've never been a big fan of the burgers (and the french fries define mediocrity). But I like their Shackago Dog a lot and now their chicken sandwich. And the concretes.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”