What did you cook tonight?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#951 Post by Kenny H » April 17th, 2018, 9:55 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote: . . . I can safely say that since we never eat at restaurants for our offlines and we have a group of ten that cooks quite well and puts on a helluva feast every time that I'd put our food up against any other wine group's. I'm down for a West Coast vs. East Coast cook-off if you are. Berserkerfest 3.0? Don't forget that Kenny H is on the West Coast though, so you're basically facing Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the 9th right now neener
I always love it when the other side has to bring a whole team just to try to beat me all by myself. That means I win from the start.

3.0? I do not know what number we are up to, but it's way beyond that. 2.5 was about 8 years ago. Last time I did it, we toned it down a bit and only did 4 main courses plus cheesecake for dessert.
Ha! This could be fun though. It's the Iron Chef of offlines. Jay, I don't know if you have been keeping track but Elliott is a master of detail and execution, so you might want to consider a dish not served on a paper plate. [wow.gif] [snort.gif]
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13185
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

What did you cook tonight?

#952 Post by Jay Miller » April 18th, 2018, 4:37 am

Kenny H wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:
I always love it when the other side has to bring a whole team just to try to beat me all by myself. That means I win from the start.

3.0? I do not know what number we are up to, but it's way beyond that. 2.5 was about 8 years ago. Last time I did it, we toned it down a bit and only did 4 main courses plus cheesecake for dessert.
Ha! This could be fun though. It's the Iron Chef of offlines. Jay, I don't know if you have been keeping track but Elliott is a master of detail and execution, so you might want to consider a dish not served on a paper plate. [wow.gif] [snort.gif]
I've been awed by his posts in the past. The only way the east coast would have a chance is if we pull in some big guns like Christine and a few other people I can think of. Though I'd be happy to help in the fight if I could get oven access.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#953 Post by Brian Tuite » April 18th, 2018, 7:27 am

Breakfast Edition: Poached Eggs over Fried Polenta

[resizeableimage=800,793]https://image.ibb.co/dzp4e7/AE6_F1_BFB_ ... 013_A1.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#954 Post by Kenny H » April 18th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:Breakfast Edition: Poached Eggs over Fried Polenta

[resizeableimage=800,793]https://image.ibb.co/dzp4e7/AE6_F1_BFB_ ... 013_A1.jpg[/resizeableimage]
flirtysmile

Oh no you did' 'int!
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

What did you cook tonight?

#955 Post by Jason T » April 19th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Brian what did you use for seasoning?
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#956 Post by Brian Tuite » April 20th, 2018, 5:51 am

Jason T wrote:Brian what did you use for seasoning?
S&P and Paprika.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#957 Post by Brian Tuite » April 20th, 2018, 5:53 am

Kenny H wrote: flirtysmile

Oh no you did' 'int!
Yessum I did ‘nit was goood.
Jason T wrote:Brian what did you use for seasoning?
S&P and Paprika. KISS
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3535
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#958 Post by scamhi » April 20th, 2018, 7:27 am

couple of recent meals in Florida. eating healthy
Image
NY Times Chicken Shwarma with israeli salad

Image
Grilled mustard thyme jumbo shrimp with lightly pickled cucumber
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#959 Post by Brian Tuite » April 20th, 2018, 7:29 am

Or eggs, polenta, S&P, cheddar and roasted chile verde salsa in a breakfast burrito. Using cubed fried polenta instead of potatoes makes for a better consistency and moisture content. #ohthepossibilities

[resizeableimage=600,800]https://image.ibb.co/jfkycS/F802_CB5_B_ ... 0_C4_A.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2632
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

What did you cook tonight?

#960 Post by ERPark » April 22nd, 2018, 8:17 pm

Beer can chickens in the smoker for us tonight
IMG_1945.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG (33.24 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
GEN3

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13539
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

What did you cook tonight?

#961 Post by Craig G » April 22nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

Dead chicken walking.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#962 Post by Kenny H » April 22nd, 2018, 8:39 pm

Craig G wrote:Dead chicken walking.
Correction, dancing. That is clearly mid tango.
H0eve!kamp

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#963 Post by Elliot Steele » April 22nd, 2018, 9:16 pm

The chicken on the right looks like Quasimodo lol. I've never seen a chicken with that much back meat. In all seriousness though, looks good!

User avatar
Mel Hill
Posts: 6093
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Location: Colorado

What did you cook tonight?

#964 Post by Mel Hill » April 22nd, 2018, 10:02 pm

Kenny H wrote:
Craig G wrote:Dead chicken walking.
Correction, dancing. That is clearly mid tango.
Technically, they are doing the “funky chicken”

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2129
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

What did you cook tonight?

#965 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » April 23rd, 2018, 4:48 am

scamhi wrote:couple of recent meals in Florida. eating healthy
Looks great, Suzanne!

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5043
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#966 Post by Jason Hagen » April 24th, 2018, 10:49 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
scamhi wrote:couple of recent meals in Florida. eating healthy
Looks great, Suzanne!
Yes! And the wine ... yum.

Jason

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#967 Post by Elliot Steele » April 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Simple but flavor packed dinner tonight. Grilled king oyster mushrooms with a tarragon/parsley/lemon zest/chive/garlic butter and a chile-spiced blackened salmon. Super crisp skin on it and meltingly tender flesh. Perfectly cooked. Try that chile spice recipe next time you make Flannery hangars. That's the ultimate combo right there.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#968 Post by Kenny H » April 25th, 2018, 8:20 am

That is stupendous. Perfect temperature for my preference and executing that crust at the same time, nice. I love king oysters, reminds me of chicken but a bit more earthy!
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3535
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#969 Post by scamhi » April 25th, 2018, 9:03 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
scamhi wrote:couple of recent meals in Florida. eating healthy
Looks great, Suzanne!
Yes! And the wine ... yum.

Jason
thanks to you both. That Buisson Charles Tessons is a killer bottle too bad I only bought 3 and price that it is available now is way too high
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 576
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#970 Post by Joe Chanley » April 25th, 2018, 11:56 am

i really have issue getting the skin so crisp....any advice on technique to achieve uniformity like that?

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#971 Post by Elliot Steele » April 25th, 2018, 2:56 pm

The trick is to salt the salmon and put it on a rack over a sheet pan in the fridge, skin side up for several hours until the surface of the salmon looks dry and feels tacky. I like using either my stainless or carbon steel pans. The trick is not to get the pan ripping hot but rather a controlled moderate heat that allows for the salmon to cook through before burning the skin to a crisp. Also make sure to let the salmon tell you when it’s teady to be flipped rather than trying to unstick it from the bottom. It will release on its own when it’s ready which also happens to be when it’s perfectly crisp. Serve it skin side up as well so the moisture doesn’t get it soggy again.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 576
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#972 Post by Joe Chanley » April 25th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Think I’ve been using too much heat. Thanks, will also try the salting as well.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#973 Post by Kenny H » April 25th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:The trick is to salt the salmon and put it on a rack over a sheet pan in the fridge, skin side up for several hours until the surface of the salmon looks dry and feels tacky. I like using either my stainless or carbon steel pans. The trick is not to get the pan ripping hot but rather a controlled moderate heat that allows for the salmon to cook through before burning the skin to a crisp. Also make sure to let the salmon tell you when it’s teady to be flipped rather than trying to unstick it from the bottom. It will release on its own when it’s ready which also happens to be when it’s perfectly crisp. Serve it skin side up as well so the moisture doesn’t get it soggy again.
Pro advice. Concur.
H0eve!kamp

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#974 Post by Elliot Steele » April 25th, 2018, 9:23 pm

We now return from this commercial break to bring you one gorgeous golden bird, hella crispy skin, and seriously juicy meat. Behold!

Image

Image

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#975 Post by Elliot Steele » April 25th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Kenny H wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote:The trick is to salt the salmon and put it on a rack over a sheet pan in the fridge, skin side up for several hours until the surface of the salmon looks dry and feels tacky. I like using either my stainless or carbon steel pans. The trick is not to get the pan ripping hot but rather a controlled moderate heat that allows for the salmon to cook through before burning the skin to a crisp. Also make sure to let the salmon tell you when it’s teady to be flipped rather than trying to unstick it from the bottom. It will release on its own when it’s ready which also happens to be when it’s perfectly crisp. Serve it skin side up as well so the moisture doesn’t get it soggy again.
Pro advice. Concur.
Coming from the pro himself, I'll take it!

User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1758
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#976 Post by Scott Watkins » April 26th, 2018, 8:53 am

Elliot Steele wrote:We now return from this commercial break to bring you one gorgeous golden bird, hella crispy skin, and seriously juicy meat. Behold!

Image

Image
Good Lord that looks delicious! You know sometimes it's the simple things in life. Now I'm starving :)
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

What did you cook tonight?

#977 Post by Jason T » April 27th, 2018, 11:04 am

Elliot Steele wrote:We now return from this commercial break to bring you one gorgeous golden bird, hella crispy skin, and seriously juicy meat. Behold!

Image

Image
Elliott, that looks fantastic. I’m envious of how even the color is on that bird. You mind sharing your technique?
J@son Tr@ughber

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#978 Post by Elliot Steele » April 27th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I use an air chilled bird to begin with. Spatchcock it, dry brine with salt, throw it on a cooling rack over a sheet tray into the fridge and 2 evenings later I pull it out and use a very fine tea strainer to very lightly dust the chicken with baking soda. That goes back into into the fridge for one more day for a total of 3 nights in the fridge. This dries out the skin and surface so much so that the skin becomes taut and transparent almost. Preheat the oven at 500 for 45 minutes with your cast iron in the oven for the preheat. Pull out the cast iron, throw on some fresh rosemary sprigs and hit the pan with a small film of oil and throw the chicken on. I also leave my two baking steels in the oven which helps with heat retention. I turn down to 475 after the chicken has been in for 15 minutes and check the temp around the 35 minutes mark. Should be close to finishing right around there. Do be aware that this produces a small amount of smoke so I’d open your windows and put on your hood while doing this. Sorry for the short run down. Doing this from my phone

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#979 Post by Kenny H » April 28th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Asian fusion theme tonight.

Reverse sear ribeye with duck fat fried green onions and duck gravy/teriyaki drizzle.
IMG_7446-2.jpg
IMG_7446-2.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Here I went a bit overboard. I butchered a whole duck and my standard procedure is to sear the breast, make stock, confit legs, and make pâté with meat and organs picked after stock pressure cooking. I cured the duck legs for 24 hours in a salt coconut green curry mix, then sous vide for 8 hours at 170F. Dried the legs and sprinkled with salt and baking soda then placed in fridge to dry. Broiled at 500F for 10 minutes. Made homemade hand cut noodles that were stir fried with a gravy that I made of duck stock, tamarind, homegrown raspberry chipotle jam, in the wok. Added some heirloom pig prosciutto crisps that were fried in the duck fat.
duck noodle.jpg
duck noodle.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#980 Post by Brian Tuite » April 28th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Kenny H wrote:Asian fusion theme tonight.

Reverse sear ribeye with duck fat fried green onions and duck gravy/teriyaki drizzle.
IMG_7446-2.jpg
Here I went a bit overboard. I butchered a whole duck and my standard procedure is to sear the breast, make stock, confit legs, and make pâté with meat and organs picked after stock pressure cooking. I cured the duck legs for 24 hours in a salt coconut green curry mix, then sous vide for 8 hours at 170F. Dried the legs and sprinkled with salt and baking soda then placed in fridge to dry. Broiled at 500F for 10 minutes. Made homemade hand cut noodles that were stir fried with a gravy that I made of duck stock, tamarind, homegrown raspberry chipotle jam, in the wok. Added some heirloom pig prosciutto crisps that were fried in the duck fat.
duck noodle.jpg
You what? [wow.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#981 Post by Elliot Steele » April 29th, 2018, 12:10 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Kenny H wrote:Asian fusion theme tonight.

Reverse sear ribeye with duck fat fried green onions and duck gravy/teriyaki drizzle.
IMG_7446-2.jpg
Here I went a bit overboard. I butchered a whole duck and my standard procedure is to sear the breast, make stock, confit legs, and make pâté with meat and organs picked after stock pressure cooking. I cured the duck legs for 24 hours in a salt coconut green curry mix, then sous vide for 8 hours at 170F. Dried the legs and sprinkled with salt and baking soda then placed in fridge to dry. Broiled at 500F for 10 minutes. Made homemade hand cut noodles that were stir fried with a gravy that I made of duck stock, tamarind, homegrown raspberry chipotle jam, in the wok. Added some heirloom pig prosciutto crisps that were fried in the duck fat.
duck noodle.jpg
You what? [wow.gif]
What he said... That's unreal. Love the amount of thought and effort that went into this. Fantastic!

lsmorris
Posts: 60
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 2:46 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#982 Post by lsmorris » April 29th, 2018, 5:08 am

Elliot Steele wrote:
Kenny H wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote:The trick is to salt the salmon and put it on a rack over a sheet pan in the fridge, skin side up for several hours until the surface of the salmon looks dry and feels tacky. I like using either my stainless or carbon steel pans. The trick is not to get the pan ripping hot but rather a controlled moderate heat that allows for the salmon to cook through before burning the skin to a crisp. Also make sure to let the salmon tell you when it’s teady to be flipped rather than trying to unstick it from the bottom. It will release on its own when it’s ready which also happens to be when it’s perfectly crisp. Serve it skin side up as well so the moisture doesn’t get it soggy again.
Pro advice. Concur.
Coming from the pro himself, I'll take it!
I also use the Thomas Keller tip of rubbing the skin with the back of a chef's knife in the direction of the scales.

Last night, asparagus risotto with seared scallops finished with Bordier seaweed butter. If I was single and cooking dinner for a date, this dish would be my Mariano Rivera. Enter Sandman!! [snort.gif]
Laurence

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#983 Post by Elliot Steele » April 29th, 2018, 10:01 am

Epic offline last night at the Watkin's household! I still maintain that our offline's have the best food and last night's food and wine lineup reaffirms that.

Image

Rosemary, kalamata, gruyere bread

Image

Cheese plate with caviar and blini which I forgot to snap a photo of

Image

Baked olive dish with cerignola, castelvetrano, kalamata, garlic confit and the oil from it, chile de arbol, rosemary, orange and lemon peel. Baked until blistering and sizzling and drizzled with balsamic.

Image

Bone in leg of lamb with an herb paste of rosemary, thyme, garlic, fennel pollen, chile flakes, lemon peel, s&p, and olive oil
Let this dry out in the fridge for a couple days to form a nice crust.

Image

Came out with a crunchy crust that was very flavorful and aromatic. Really nice. We were too piggish to get a shot of it once it was cut up.

Image

Spring pea risotto with sugar snap peas, english peas, parm, lemon zest, tarragon, chives, shallots, and creme fraiche and an english pea puree folded in at the end. Such a bright and fresh dish. Perfect time of year to make it and paired well with the richness of the lamb.

Image

Same mushrooms I did upthread. King oysters grilled and finished in a tarragon, chive, garlic, lemon zest, parsley butter

Image

Caramelized carrots finished in a sherry vinegar, muscovado sugar, orange zest, caraway seed and butter glaze
Charred cauliflower with a colatura, chili flake, garlic confit and its oil, parsley, and red wine vinegar dressing

Image

Image

Tough lineup to get through but someone had to do it [wow.gif]

Image

Bryan's mind-blowing tiramisu.


Overall an amazing evening and many thanks to Scott and Andrea for hosting. Sorry for all the leftovers. champagne.gif

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#984 Post by Kenny H » April 29th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:Epic offline last night at the Watkin's household! I still maintain that our offline's have the best food and last night's food and wine lineup reaffirms that.

Image

Rosemary, kalamata, gruyere bread

Image

Cheese plate with caviar and blini which I forgot to snap a photo of

Image

Baked olive dish with cerignola, castelvetrano, kalamata, garlic confit and the oil from it, chile de arbol, rosemary, orange and lemon peel. Baked until blistering and sizzling and drizzled with balsamic.

Image

Bone in leg of lamb with an herb paste of rosemary, thyme, garlic, fennel pollen, chile flakes, lemon peel, s&p, and olive oil
Let this dry out in the fridge for a couple days to form a nice crust.

Image

Came out with a crunchy crust that was very flavorful and aromatic. Really nice. We were too piggish to get a shot of it once it was cut up.

Image

Spring pea risotto with sugar snap peas, english peas, parm, lemon zest, tarragon, chives, shallots, and creme fraiche and an english pea puree folded in at the end. Such a bright and fresh dish. Perfect time of year to make it and paired well with the richness of the lamb.

Image

Same mushrooms I did upthread. King oysters grilled and finished in a tarragon, chive, garlic, lemon zest, parsley butter

Image

Caramelized carrots finished in a sherry vinegar, muscovado sugar, orange zest, caraway seed and butter glaze
Charred cauliflower with a colatura, chili flake, garlic confit and its oil, parsley, and red wine vinegar dressing

Image

Image

Tough lineup to get through but someone had to do it [wow.gif]

Image

Bryan's mind-blowing tiramisu.


Overall an amazing evening and many thanks to Scott and Andrea for hosting. Sorry for all the leftovers. champagne.gif
Good grief. I need some sous chefs, stat! Wow!
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#985 Post by Kenny H » April 29th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
What he said... That's unreal. Love the amount of thought and effort that went into this. Fantastic!
Thanks, man. I of course like good stuff but I kid you not, that confit dish was 100% off the chain. Normally I have a very good idea where stuff will end up but it went above and beyond.
H0eve!kamp

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#986 Post by Elliot Steele » April 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Kenny H wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote:
What he said... That's unreal. Love the amount of thought and effort that went into this. Fantastic!
Thanks, man. I of course like good stuff but I kid you not, that confit dish was 100% off the chain. Normally I have a very good idea where stuff will end up but it went above and beyond.
I don't doubt it. The colors alone are a kaleidoscope of flavor. You have to let me know next time you're out here so we can cook up a storm for an offline.

Patrick Lundgren
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 74
Joined: January 5th, 2010, 11:08 am

What did you cook tonight?

#987 Post by Patrick Lundgren » May 1st, 2018, 10:10 am

Scallops and sous vide asparagus with a lemon, caper, and brown butter sauce. Paired with a 2014 Bruno Colin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie.
IMG_E0865.JPG
IMG_E0865.JPG (29.83 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Flannery Wagyu NY Pave (absolutely incredible), Kenji's roasted potatoes, chimichurri sauce, and roasted red pepper spackle. Paired with a 2012 Saxum Broken Stones.
IMG_E0859.JPG
IMG_E0859.JPG (47.34 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Not much time for dessert, so just went with simple berries and cream.
IMG_E0864.JPG
IMG_E0864.JPG (37.5 KiB) Viewed 905 times

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#988 Post by Elliot Steele » May 1st, 2018, 10:18 am

Patrick Lundgren wrote:Scallops and sous vide asparagus with a lemon, caper, and brown butter sauce. Paired with a 2014 Bruno Colin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie.
IMG_E0865.JPG
Flannery Wagyu NY Pave (absolutely incredible), Kenji's roasted potatoes, chimichurri sauce, and roasted red pepper spackle. Paired with a 2012 Saxum Broken Stones.
IMG_E0859.JPG
Not much time for dessert, so just went with simple berries and cream.
IMG_E0864.JPG
Looking damn fine, Patrick! Not a bad monday night at all.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#989 Post by Kenny H » May 1st, 2018, 9:38 pm

Patrick something I want so very bad is Flannery and chimichurri. It is like a fever dream. Very nice!
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#990 Post by Kenny H » May 2nd, 2018, 6:24 pm

I butchered a duck last Friday. After the other bits of seared breast and leg confit, here is what else I did. I picked the stock bones clean of meat then blended with chicken livers for a duck pâté that does not need duck livers but still tastes like one.
DB0CFCC8-198A-4FAF-8D88-507A6C3FA6D7.jpeg
DB0CFCC8-198A-4FAF-8D88-507A6C3FA6D7.jpeg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Then I have chicken livers done with a duck demi glace dijon sauce with blackberry balsamic and shelled snap pea.
FBEC656F-AC9D-4396-A839-C116EBFFAD6B.jpeg
FBEC656F-AC9D-4396-A839-C116EBFFAD6B.jpeg (41.26 KiB) Viewed 823 times
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 935
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#991 Post by Brandon R » May 3rd, 2018, 8:49 am

Patrick - how does one prepare, "Kenji's Roast Potatoes?" That crust is amazing...I can get a great one on my steaks, but I'm not as great with roasted spuds. I assume a post-roast pan sear or something?
B. Redman

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#992 Post by Kenny H » May 3rd, 2018, 8:58 am

Brandon R wrote:Patrick - how does one prepare, "Kenji's Roast Potatoes?" That crust is amazing...I can get a great one on my steaks, but I'm not as great with roasted spuds. I assume a post-roast pan sear or something?
Google just that and you will get your answer. Baking soda parboil. Cream em in butter. Roast.
H0eve!kamp

Patrick Lundgren
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 74
Joined: January 5th, 2010, 11:08 am

What did you cook tonight?

#993 Post by Patrick Lundgren » May 3rd, 2018, 11:50 am

Kenny H wrote:
Brandon R wrote:Patrick - how does one prepare, "Kenji's Roast Potatoes?" That crust is amazing...I can get a great one on my steaks, but I'm not as great with roasted spuds. I assume a post-roast pan sear or something?
Google just that and you will get your answer. Baking soda parboil. Cream em in butter. Roast.
Yeah, pretty much that, except I don't use butter, I use whatever rendered animal fat I have available. This one was a mix of chicken/beef/pork fat that I skimmed from a mixed stock I made. I used relatively small yukon gold potatoes. I halved them and started them cut side down and when I flipped them the first time, I very lightly smashed them to flatten the round side to get more of the surface to contact the sheet pan.

Maybe it's my oven, but I didn't need nearly the amount of time indicated in the recipe after the first flip, so keep an eye on them. Also, I was in too much of a rush another time and didn't get the potatoes parboiled enough to get the mashed potato-like coating when tossing them in the bowl. That is the key.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#994 Post by Elliot Steele » May 6th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Had our brunch offline today. Damn did we put on one helluva spread! champagne.gif

Image

Aperol Spritz to start with the cheese board

Image

Completely forgot what cheeses we had.

Image

Chef steps everything bagels. Best damn bagels around.

Image

Dill, caraway, coriander, pepper, and aquavit cured gravlax. Super silky and creamy. Texture was perfect.

Image

All the fixings. Did a dill, caper, lemon zest, chive, and green onion cream cheese for the schmear.

Image

Gruyere and emmentaler quiche with a super flaky crust.

Image

Slaw. Nuff said

Image

Crispy, airy, yeasted waffles and Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc buttermilk fried chicken. Holy smokes was that good. Drizzled bourbon maple syrup and Frank's red hot sauce over it. Wowzer.

Image

Goat-cheese cheesecake and coconut, chocolate oatmeal cookies (no pictures) for dessert.

Image

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 935
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

What did you cook tonight?

#995 Post by Brandon R » May 7th, 2018, 9:11 am

Helluva spread, Elliot. Of all the great things in the pictures, I'm extremely impressed at the knife work someone employed with those sliced tomatoes!
B. Redman

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#996 Post by Brian Tuite » May 7th, 2018, 9:20 am

Brandon R wrote:Helluva spread, Elliot. Of all the great things in the pictures, I'm extremely impressed at the knife work someone employed with those sliced tomatoes!
Of course...
[youtube]6wzULnlHr8w[/youtube]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#997 Post by Elliot Steele » May 7th, 2018, 10:15 am

Brandon R wrote:Helluva spread, Elliot. Of all the great things in the pictures, I'm extremely impressed at the knife work someone employed with those sliced tomatoes!
Haha. Yeah, that would be the work of a nice sharp Global knife. I'm a stickler for thin sliced tomatoes. Hate when you get a bagel that has a slice of tomato the thickness of a steak. Just ruins the overall bite. I'm more impressed by my lox slicing "skills". That wasn't particularly easy as far as knife work goes.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3411
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

What did you cook tonight?

#998 Post by Kenny H » May 7th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
Brandon R wrote:Helluva spread, Elliot. Of all the great things in the pictures, I'm extremely impressed at the knife work someone employed with those sliced tomatoes!
Haha. Yeah, that would be the work of a nice sharp Global knife. I'm a stickler for thin sliced tomatoes. Hate when you get a bagel that has a slice of tomato the thickness of a steak. Just ruins the overall bite. I'm more impressed by my lox slicing "skills". That wasn't particularly easy as far as knife work goes.
Global makes solid stuff. The color and depth on that quiche is something to behold, very nice! I am going to do those bagels when the in laws visit next thanks for the tip.
H0eve!kamp

Elliot Steele
Posts: 495
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

What did you cook tonight?

#999 Post by Elliot Steele » May 7th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Kenny H wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote:
Brandon R wrote:Helluva spread, Elliot. Of all the great things in the pictures, I'm extremely impressed at the knife work someone employed with those sliced tomatoes!
Haha. Yeah, that would be the work of a nice sharp Global knife. I'm a stickler for thin sliced tomatoes. Hate when you get a bagel that has a slice of tomato the thickness of a steak. Just ruins the overall bite. I'm more impressed by my lox slicing "skills". That wasn't particularly easy as far as knife work goes.
Global makes solid stuff. The color and depth on that quiche is something to behold, very nice! I am going to do those bagels when the in laws visit next thanks for the tip.
Have to give fellow Berserker, Bryan Chen, the credit for that quiche. Came out great!

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18389
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

What did you cook tonight?

#1000 Post by Brian Tuite » May 7th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Neapolitan Pizza night x3. San Marzanos, Mozzarella and Basil. Last minute idea, didn’t habe any starter ready so it’s just a basic thin pizza dough with 1 rise. Oh, and the first Caprese of the season.

[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/eXyjzS/436_BBF16_A ... 8_CA80.jpg[/resizeableimage]
[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/mCjreS/2_C6_AD114_ ... 504_A8.jpg[/resizeableimage]
[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/fqodR7/2993_A169_4 ... 656630.jpg[/resizeableimage]
[resizeableimage=800,600]https://image.ibb.co/g8iZzS/DE5_D25_BC_ ... _D97_D.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”