What did you cook tonight?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Milton Hudson

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#2451 Post by Milton Hudson »

Grilled chili rubbed Mahi-mahi with pinto beans yellow rice and grilled peppers onions tomatoes. Spicy pickled red onions. Plating is a mess just cause I like everything all jumbled up anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2452 Post by Brandon R »

Elliott, how was that Gaston Chiquet Special Club?
B. Redman

Paul Bacino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2453 Post by Paul Bacino »

So this is the Wild Forks Suckling Pick (9# ) smoked about 4-5 hrs apple wood/ mesquite
Turned out nice/ smoker to small to render skin/ meat very tasty
Injected the night before with a Peach nector ( Tex's Recipe )
Made peach BBQ sliders

Elliot Steele

#2454 Post by Elliot Steele »

Last night at Scott Watkins’ house… good damage was done. Crepe mille feuille with creme fraiche in each layer topped with the real deal beluga caviar, dill and Maldon. Capons two ways since the Kamado Joe rotisserie couldn’t fit both so we threw one in the oven. Stuffed with Compound butter of parsley, tarragon, chives, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Both came out great but the smoked bird was ridiculous. Made a fricasee sauce to go with it. Fondant potatoes and an endive, radicchio and arugula salad. Cheese board for dessert with Robiola, Appenzeller raw extra aged, Pur Brebis Val d’Oc, Chabichou, Brillat Savarin Frais, Graindorge Livarot and Jaquin Coeur Jardins de Saveurs aux Fleurs

There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2455 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Elliot Steele wrote: February 25th, 2022, 9:34 am Last night at Scott Watkins’ house… good damage was done. Crepe mille feuille with creme fraiche in each layer topped with the real deal beluga caviar, dill and Maldon. Capons two ways since the Kamado Joe rotisserie couldn’t fit both so we threw one in the oven. Stuffed with Compound butter of parsley, tarragon, chives, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Both came out great but the smoked bird was ridiculous. Made a fricasee sauce to go with it. Fondant potatoes and an endive, radicchio and arugula salad. Cheese board for dessert with Robiola, Appenzeller raw extra aged, Pur Brebis Val d’Oc, Chabichou, Brillat Savarin Frais, Graindorge Livarot and Jaquin Coeur Jardins de Saveurs aux Fleurs

Looks terrific! Sorry I never got back to you with the vin jaune sauce recipe - doesn't look like you needed it!
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Elliot Steele

#2456 Post by Elliot Steele »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: February 25th, 2022, 9:53 am
Elliot Steele wrote: February 25th, 2022, 9:34 am Last night at Scott Watkins’ house… good damage was done. Crepe mille feuille with creme fraiche in each layer topped with the real deal beluga caviar, dill and Maldon. Capons two ways since the Kamado Joe rotisserie couldn’t fit both so we threw one in the oven. Stuffed with Compound butter of parsley, tarragon, chives, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Both came out great but the smoked bird was ridiculous. Made a fricasee sauce to go with it. Fondant potatoes and an endive, radicchio and arugula salad. Cheese board for dessert with Robiola, Appenzeller raw extra aged, Pur Brebis Val d’Oc, Chabichou, Brillat Savarin Frais, Graindorge Livarot and Jaquin Coeur Jardins de Saveurs aux Fleurs

Looks terrific! Sorry I never got back to you with the vin jaune sauce recipe - doesn't look like you needed it!
I managed just fine but will take that recipe anytime!

Elliot Steele

#2457 Post by Elliot Steele »

Yesterday's breakfast and Shabbat dinner at a friend’s
house that I cooked for. I swear no more of the fennel/endive gratin and salad after this! I was using up the rest of everything from the farmers market. Piedmontese 3lb tomahawk and Flannery NY strip done entirely on the flat top which had the best crust I’ve ever developed on a steak. As an aside I really enjoyed using the flat top. So much room to cook on and very even and controllable heating. Could see myself getting one of these range setups when we eventually move.

LMD Ermitaño

#2458 Post by LMD Ermitaño »

Couple of roasted racks of lamb for dinner last night, paired with a bit of Hermitage.
D5F8B00B-4EE9-4786-A0F5-DCAAD8EB98F3.jpeg
561462E0-0C78-4E67-B4D0-7F47D832E302.jpeg
F3C5C067-6AD4-456F-AE8E-9423D47829CD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2459 Post by Jason T »

This is one I’ve been working on for a while, and it’s getting there. Mushroom bolognese (a meatless bolognese).

I pulverize a couple pounds of mushrooms in the food processor, then us Michel Richard's method for extracting the liquid from the mushrooms (heat in a stock pot until they relaease their liquid, drain off the liquid for another use - I'm setting it aside for a potential mushroom soup/sauce down the road).

I set aside the pulverized mushrooms and then make a bolognese more or less how you would traditionally, but instead of incorporating an animal protein I add in mushrooms. The flavour is deep - very similar to a traditional bolognese. The texture isn't quite there yet - I need to see if I can make the mushrooms a bit 'toothier'.

Topped the pasta with sauteed shiitakes. Did not suck.
J@son Tr@ughber

Elliot Steele

#2460 Post by Elliot Steele »

Jason T wrote: February 28th, 2022, 7:19 am This is one I’ve been working on for a while, and it’s getting there. Mushroom bolognese (a meatless bolognese).

I pulverize a couple pounds of mushrooms in the food processor, then us Michel Richard's method for extracting the liquid from the mushrooms (heat in a stock pot until they relaease their liquid, drain off the liquid for another use - I'm setting it aside for a potential mushroom soup/sauce down the road).

I set aside the pulverized mushrooms and then make a bolognese more or less how you would traditionally, but instead of incorporating an animal protein I add in mushrooms. The flavour is deep - very similar to a traditional bolognese. The texture isn't quite there yet - I need to see if I can make the mushrooms a bit 'toothier'.

Looks great, Jason. Have you tried adding the pulverized mushrooms in at different stages of cooking to get the textural contrasts? What about changing the size of the diced mushrooms to begin with/add in near the end of cooking the sauce?

Bill Tex Landreth

#2461 Post by Bill Tex Landreth »

Chili Verde with USDA Prime Chuck, Poblanos, Jalapeños, Tomatillos and Texas 1015 Onions on deck for tonight.
Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2462 Post by Jason T »

Elliot Steele wrote: February 28th, 2022, 8:00 am
Jason T wrote: February 28th, 2022, 7:19 am This is one I’ve been working on for a while, and it’s getting there. Mushroom bolognese (a meatless bolognese).

Looks great, Jason. Have you tried adding the pulverized mushrooms in at different stages of cooking to get the textural contrasts? What about changing the size of the diced mushrooms to begin with/add in near the end of cooking the sauce?
Elliot absolutely - working on both of those! I know I need slightly bigger mushroom chunks. But I definitely need to play around with when I add the mushrooms back in.
J@son Tr@ughber

Elliot Steele

#2463 Post by Elliot Steele »

Kept it simple tonight with some persian food. Should’ve made Lima bean and dill rice to go with it but got too lazy. Kabobs came out fantastic with this recipe.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2464 Post by Jason T »

Elliot Steele wrote: March 1st, 2022, 7:50 pm Kept it simple tonight with some persian food. Should’ve made Lima bean and dill rice to go with it but got too lazy. Kabobs came out fantastic with this recipe.

Elliot, that looks amazing! And thanks for the link, as I love Persian food.
J@son Tr@ughber

CGlescher

#2465 Post by CGlescher »

Sous Vide short ribs for 24 hours finished off on the grill, and roasted potatoes.

C h r i s

Elliot Steele

#2466 Post by Elliot Steele »

Took advantage of the cold weather in LA last night and did fondue and a Westholme Denver steak. Livarot, Pont l’Eveque and Camembert with calvados. Very good and hearty.
FA195216-0D5B-4DE0-ADAB-ADD0669C1B11.jpeg
CAA232DF-07D9-4FF9-82DF-CE85FC46E50A.jpeg
155E95F4-C4A2-4BAE-AAEA-603A54615CC7.jpeg

M Matthews
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2467 Post by M Matthews »

Looks like you got the one good bottle of the pinon Vouvray
M a r q u e s

M Matthews
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2468 Post by M Matthews »

Looks like you got the one good bottle of the pinon Vouvray
M a r q u e s

Bud Insalata

#2469 Post by Bud Insalata »

Elliot Steele wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:54 am
Bud Insalata wrote: February 22nd, 2022, 5:32 pm
Elliot Steele wrote: February 21st, 2022, 11:42 pm Put together a fun little menu for tonight’s wines. Herb compound butter stuffed chicken with a radicchio, endive and arugula salad with sourdough breadcrumbs and a caramelized, poached and roasted fennel and endive gratin with a compound butter mornay sauce topped with sourdough breadcrumbs and fennel fronds
Elliot: fine looking poached and roasted fennel and endive gratin Any chance you can post that recipe or a link?

Bud
Here’s the recipe from Taste and Technique. A great book if you don’t already have it. The only thing I did differently was start the roux for the cheese sauce with the same compound butter I stuffed the chicken with and is something I will be repeating for other sauces.

13DD8257-AABA-46EB-8419-C0877AF2DE47.jpeg7FC537F0-9B61-46DF-9620-DA183778C3AA.jpeg
Elliot, a multi step recipe easy to follow. Three large fennel heads from Trader Joes, quartered. I included 1.5 oz of taleggio in the first cheese addition to bring a little more Italian flavor, and used panko instead of usual bread crumbs. Other than grilling fennel I usually eat it raw. This recipe softened the otherwise sharp taste which is not universally loved. It was a big hit and excellent re-heated. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2470 Post by Brian Tuite »

Fish Tacos

81256C6F-AE84-4CEB-BFE5-F0B50D7D5C7B.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"It's always fun to convert people back to carnivore!”
Carrie Morgan

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

Too old to give a fu¢k what you think of me.

Elliot Steele

#2471 Post by Elliot Steele »

Brian Tuite wrote: March 8th, 2022, 6:21 am Fish Tacos

Nicely done! Batter looks perfect on that fish. That’s a solid looking taco. Are those radishes pickled or fresh?

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2472 Post by Brian Tuite »

Elliot Steele wrote: March 8th, 2022, 7:54 am
Brian Tuite wrote: March 8th, 2022, 6:21 am Fish Tacos

Nicely done! Batter looks perfect on that fish. That’s a solid looking taco. Are those radishes pickled or fresh?
Thanks!

Fresh Radishes, batter is rice flour, Corona Extra, S&P and minced Chipotle Pepper with a scoop of Adobo.

Carrie Morgan

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2473 Post by Adam Frisch »

Made a Chicken M'chermel yesterday in my new Tagine. Turned out amazing - so good! Easy to make, but you gotta have the preserved lemons, so that takes a few weeks to do yourself unless you can buy some. Had a 2014 Failla Chard with it.

IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3518.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

AstridKG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2474 Post by AstridKG »

Roast salmon and tomatoes; green beans and mushrooms; rice. Served with 2013 George Vesselle Brut Nature.
Salmon - Copy.jpg
K 3 3 L

Lawrence Wang
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2475 Post by Lawrence Wang »

apologies for potato-quality bachelor pic... homemade short rib and wonton noodles.
short_rib_wontin.png

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2476 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Hokkaido scallops two ways - first raw with olive oil, sudachi salt, chili flakes and shiso (shiso didn't make it into the picture - we used the leaves to wrap). Next seared and dipped in truffle vinaigrette, then served over sautéed spinach dressed in the same vinaigrette with espelette pepper, and wrapped in thinly sliced zucchini.
20220311_175124.jpg
20220311_173923.jpg
20220311_174036.jpg

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2477 Post by J.Vizuete »

Unbelievable Sarah! If you, Elliot and Milton would like to open a restaurant, I’ll put all my savings into it.
J0HN
CT: jviz
WOTY 2022 - 1982 PLL, 1989 LMHB

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2478 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

J.Vizuete wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:08 pm Unbelievable Sarah! If you, Elliot and Milton would like to open a restaurant, I’ll put all my savings into it.
You're too kind. Mostly we just shop well. Every once in a while the plating comes out well. 😀

J.Vizuete
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2479 Post by J.Vizuete »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: March 13th, 2022, 8:24 am
J.Vizuete wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:08 pm Unbelievable Sarah! If you, Elliot and Milton would like to open a restaurant, I’ll put all my savings into it.
You're too kind. Mostly we just shop well. Every once in a while the plating comes out well. 😀
You’re too humble! And yes, great ingredients often equate to great meals, but there is room for thoughtfulness toward accompanying flavors, creativity in simplicity, and skill of execution in preparing one’s dishes that extend beyond the power of the raw materials. As an aspiring home chef, it’s not hard to see those talents in your cooking :)

I think I probably speak for many in saying this might be my favorite thread on WB. I often peruse it while making our grocery list each week, for a little inspiration, and am frequently amazed at the quality of meals shared here.

We do pretty well on sourcing good proteins, but I appreciate the equal attention you and Jonathan give to produce, and that’s something I’m working on raising the bar in our home this year.
J0HN
CT: jviz
WOTY 2022 - 1982 PLL, 1989 LMHB

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2480 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

J.Vizuete wrote: March 13th, 2022, 9:50 am
We do pretty well on sourcing good proteins, but I appreciate the equal attention you and Jonathan give to produce, and that’s something I’m working on raising the bar in our home this year.
I personally think it matters even more, in some ways. Most decent proteins are still pretty tasty, but the gap between top produce and kind of everything else is huge. I mean, a great radish is a revelation. A grocery store radish is a texture.

Good hunting! :)

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2481 Post by Brandon R »

Lawrence Wang wrote: March 9th, 2022, 6:31 pm apologies for potato-quality bachelor pic... homemade short rib and wonton noodles.short_rib_wontin.png
Looks tasty. I like your circa-1996 keyboard. [cheers.gif]
B. Redman

Milton Hudson

#2482 Post by Milton Hudson »

Saturday Night
Oven fried chicken and biscuits. On the plate with asparagus and twice baked potatoes. And yes the biscuits were cooked on the pan in the chicken schmaltz.

Milton Hudson

#2483 Post by Milton Hudson »

Last night Grilled salmon started out salted added a zhang of cilantro garlic dried ginger spring onion ground coriander them a dusting of bere bere seasoning. Braised cauliflower deeply caramelizes with capers raisins sun dried tomatoes cherry tomatoes.

Milton Hudson

#2484 Post by Milton Hudson »

BBQ spice rubbed salmon, twice baked chipotle sweet potatoes and dry fried okra with Conecuh and green onions. The okra came from a local Indian grocer and is the prettiest okra I have seen lately. Likely out of south Florida. The photo was after several days in the fridge, was even prettier when i first bought it. I got a funny look when I bought it, they asked me incredulously if i liked okra. I said of course i did, which seemed to surprise him. I figured he must not be from 'round here, where okra is referred to as the "pod of the gods."

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2485 Post by Brandon R »

I have never, not once in my life, eaten okra. That's not on purpose, but it's just not something you see frequently in the PacNW and, when I do see it, I'm never compelled to buy and cook it.
B. Redman

Milton Hudson

#2486 Post by Milton Hudson »

Brandon R wrote: March 16th, 2022, 10:18 am I have never, not once in my life, eaten okra. That's not on purpose, but it's just not something you see frequently in the PacNW and, when I do see it, I'm never compelled to buy and cook it.
The first okra of the season is always a big deal around here. I can imagine it wouldn't be something you would encounter up and out there. Growing conditions are not all that conducive. Hot humid days to really develop properly. It has the advantage of producing when the other summer stuff like tomatoes etc. are gone for the season. I like it every way you can fix it except steamed or boiled. Around here it is a major disappointment not to have the spicy pickled version served with your Bloody Mary.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2487 Post by Brian Tuite »

Carnitas Street Tacos, pico de gallo, avocado, queso fresco with homemade refried Pinto Beans and Oaxaca melting cheese.
Some pretty good wine too!

7916E086-5775-480E-933A-A2B7407C718C.jpeg
E98C3123-C754-41C7-A003-5692ED2AC29E.jpeg

Carrie Morgan

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2488 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:33 pm
J.Vizuete wrote: March 13th, 2022, 9:50 am

I personally think it matters even more, in some ways.
Hey! Let’s not get carried away!!!
Instagram at @akgrill

Milton Hudson

#2489 Post by Milton Hudson »

Jerk Chicken, Plantains, Black Beans, Yellow Rice. Under the shredded iceberg is cucumber pepper tomato salad.
But after looking at Brian’s now I want tacos.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2490 Post by Brandon R »

Brian, do you mind sharing what you do to make your refried beans? And I hope it involved lard.
B. Redman

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2491 Post by Brian Tuite »

Brandon R wrote: March 17th, 2022, 9:24 am Brian, do you mind sharing what you do to make your refried beans? And I hope it involved lard.
I start with this brand of pinto beans…
D3E6C27A-A693-43E7-8383-0148D1B97527.png
No substitutions. Size matters, we use two standard sized cans 20oz per 3 people. Larger cans are available for large groups.

We save all of our bacon grease and keep it in a jar in the fridge. I drain the beans but save the liquid.

Add a scant 1/4 cup of bacon grease in a 2 qt sauce pan on high heat. When the grease begins to smoke dump in the beans. Let them sizzle for a minute or two then stir once. Go a couple more minutes then stir again. Grab a potato masher and mash them down until a little chunky, turn heat down to low, add about 1/2 the liquid and mix in. Consistency should be runny. Cover and let sit at lowest heat until ready to serve.
Before serving stir and add more liquid (if needed) for desired consistency. I like mine wet.

Up bacon grease as amount of beans increases.

I’ve had Mexicans ask me “Who made these beans, they are legit.”

Carrie Morgan

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#2492 Post by Adam Frisch »

Just some pan fried Salsiccia in a simple marinara tomato sauce and a Mediterranean potato salad (red onions, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice). Was surprisingly good, even my wife who doesn't really like sausages that much cleaned her plate up. Had it with my own 2020 Riesling "Obie" and it felt like a good combo.

IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3574.jpeg
IMG_3572.jpeg
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2493 Post by Brandon R »

Awesome, Brian, thank you. I'm making those soon!
B. Redman

J a y H a c k
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2494 Post by J a y H a c k »

Turkey in home made mole negro.
0317221850.jpg
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2495 Post by Michael Sopher »

20220317_203620.jpg
Happy St Patrick's Day

Milton Hudson

#2496 Post by Milton Hudson »

Grilled Prime New York strip (no money shot of the steak, it is in the oval dish) , roasted bleu cheese potatoes stuffed mushrooms roasted asparagus. Mustard cream sauce with fermented mustard seed.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2497 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

5A4B7009-932F-4970-B035-EE1FF54AEAA9.jpeg

Making shawarma on the joetisserie.

Milton Hudson

#2498 Post by Milton Hudson »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:06 am 5A4B7009-932F-4970-B035-EE1FF54AEAA9.jpeg

I want to know how this goes as i have thought of doing this several times. Can you shave it on the Joe or have to wait till it is done and then disassemble?

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2499 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Milton Hudson wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:21 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: March 20th, 2022, 9:06 am 5A4B7009-932F-4970-B035-EE1FF54AEAA9.jpeg

I want to know how this goes as i have thought of doing this several times. Can you shave it on the Joe or have to wait till it is done and then disassemble?
I think it would not be practical to shave it on the grill; it’d be pretty hot. You could take it off and shave then put it back on without disassembling. We did that with the first tranche and it worked pretty well. I wouldn’t pull until it’s reasonably close to done, though.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2500 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

It turned out spectacularly. It was the first time we made it so weren’t sure how it turned out great. We made the zankou garlic sauce too.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”