What did you cook tonight?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1201 Post by Scott Watkins » January 29th, 2019, 10:13 am

Kenny H wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:11 pm
How about some heirloom pork and some scallops.

DD948BA0-64F7-48CE-B403-61A52CFE4454.jpeg

216B9AF6-F18F-4DDF-BC86-2DE09239DA7A.jpeg
How about my invitation?! Looks great Kenny
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15115
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1202 Post by David K o l i n » January 29th, 2019, 10:26 am

Christine Huang wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:37 am
Kenny H wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:07 am
Very nice! Local butcher has whole belly now. Time to do this.
Totally worth it. This belly was from a young pig, so not that big/thick.

I had the best Porchetta Sandwich of my life at Roberta’s in Brooklyn, so I bought their cookbook just to get this recipe. They recommended using a pork collar to stuff it instead of the usual loin as it’s more juicy. It’s also stuffed with lots of roasted garlic, ground toasted fennel seeds, fennel pollen, lemon zest, S&P.

So good!
What a knock out.

Today is a minestrone, baked ziti and an olive focaccia in preparation for the next two days if twentyish below temperatures. Meet cold with carbs
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 913
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1203 Post by Brandon R » January 30th, 2019, 9:13 am

Kenny H wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:11 pm
How about some heirloom pork and some scallops.

DD948BA0-64F7-48CE-B403-61A52CFE4454.jpeg

216B9AF6-F18F-4DDF-BC86-2DE09239DA7A.jpeg
Excellent-looking stuff, Kenny. Is that polenta/grits under those scallops? At first glance, I thought burratta, but I don't think that would be too nice of a combination.
B. Redman

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3388
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1204 Post by Kenny H » January 30th, 2019, 9:31 am

Brandon R wrote:
January 30th, 2019, 9:13 am
Kenny H wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:11 pm
How about some heirloom pork and some scallops.

DD948BA0-64F7-48CE-B403-61A52CFE4454.jpeg

216B9AF6-F18F-4DDF-BC86-2DE09239DA7A.jpeg
Excellent-looking stuff, Kenny. Is that polenta/grits under those scallops? At first glance, I thought burratta, but I don't think that would be too nice of a combination.
Ha, my bad, no grits that was the next day dish. Celeriac/parsnip puree in that with some horseradish and tahini. Roasted leeks and tomato, crab/shrimp sauce. Bit of curry here and there and a sumac/tellicherry pepper finish sprinkle.
Last edited by Kenny H on January 30th, 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1205 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm

ATLANTIC COD LOIN: Sous vide in ChefSteps' lemon beurre blanc sauce at 113°F x 40 min, with 30-minute oven sushi rice and quickly blanched green beans
Attachments
Cod.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5891
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1206 Post by Dennis Atick » February 3rd, 2019, 4:37 am

I cook a lot, forget to share things here occasionally. Last night I made Michael Solomonov's Zahav lamb shoulder. Smoked for two hours, braised in pomegranate molasses/water for three hours, fired at 450 for 30 minutes. One of the better things I've made at home recently. Shreds with fork. With sumac onions on pita it was bomb.
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/t ... b-shoulder
Attachments
20190202_180853.jpg
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3500
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1207 Post by scamhi » February 3rd, 2019, 7:02 am


the chablis was fantastic and a 2014
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 223
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 9:54 am
Location: NY

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1208 Post by Christine Huang » February 3rd, 2019, 7:22 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 4:37 am
I cook a lot, forget to share things here occasionally. Last night I made Michael Solomonov's Zahav lamb shoulder. Smoked for two hours, braised in pomegranate molasses/water for three hours, fired at 450 for 30 minutes. One of the better things I've made at home recently. Shreds with fork. With sumac onions on pita it was bomb.
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/t ... b-shoulder
That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing — I’m going to have to try that!

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5891
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1209 Post by Dennis Atick » February 3rd, 2019, 8:51 am

Christine Huang wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 7:22 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 4:37 am
I cook a lot, forget to share things here occasionally. Last night I made Michael Solomonov's Zahav lamb shoulder. Smoked for two hours, braised in pomegranate molasses/water for three hours, fired at 450 for 30 minutes. One of the better things I've made at home recently. Shreds with fork. With sumac onions on pita it was bomb.
https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/t ... b-shoulder
That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing — I’m going to have to try that!
Thanks! It's farily easy too. Good for a crowd. Don't have to smoke it first. They do, and I happen to have a BGE, so I did, but prob fine with just a braise.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1210 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » February 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

BONE-IN PORK CHOP: Sous vide 137°F x 45 min in ChefSteps' "New School Teriyaki" sauce, with steamed broccoli & jasmine rice

https://shop.chefsteps.com/products/new-school-teriyaki
Attachments
IMG_3960.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5891
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1211 Post by Dennis Atick » February 11th, 2019, 2:49 am

Miso ramen yesterday. Mostly following RamenLord's recipe. Eight hour pork and chicken stock, miso tare, chashu, egg. Miso brings great texture to the broth. Easier than an eighteen hour true tonkatsu stock.
Attachments
20190210_180726.jpg
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3388
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1212 Post by Kenny H » February 11th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:49 am
Miso ramen yesterday. Mostly following RamenLord's recipe. Eight hour pork and chicken stock, miso tare, chashu, egg. Miso brings great texture to the broth. Easier than an eighteen hour true tonkatsu stock.
Beauty! Do you have an instant pot for stocks yet? It is worth it for those alone. Bone broths are a snap.
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5891
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1213 Post by Dennis Atick » February 12th, 2019, 3:08 am

Kenny H wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:16 pm
Dennis Atick wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:49 am
Miso ramen yesterday. Mostly following RamenLord's recipe. Eight hour pork and chicken stock, miso tare, chashu, egg. Miso brings great texture to the broth. Easier than an eighteen hour true tonkatsu stock.
Beauty! Do you have an instant pot for stocks yet? It is worth it for those alone. Bone broths are a snap.
Thanks! I do not yet have an instant pot. I keep almost pulling the trigger. I do need to get one. Everyone I know that has one tends to rave about it.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18274
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1214 Post by Brian Tuite » February 12th, 2019, 6:51 am

Mushroom Risotto on the fly

6EF923A2-0150-4E8B-9B74-4408C2F3D2B9.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 372
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1215 Post by Tom DeBiase » February 12th, 2019, 7:45 am

Chicken Parm
IMG_20190201_211743.jpg
And a Side Of Ziti
IMG_20190201_211645.jpg

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18274
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1216 Post by Brian Tuite » February 15th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Last night, Seared Duck Breast over Basmati Rice and Delicata Squash with an Orange Reduction.

Sounded good... meh...
DA24A9D9-A948-4BF1-A7B1-678C54AD7E4E.jpeg
Last edited by Brian Tuite on February 17th, 2019, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 2560
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1217 Post by ERPark » February 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

Caught up with close friends over dinner at their house last night. They made homemade Korean chicken soup (sam gye tang). Paired with Sauvignon Blanc for the ladies, and a variety of beers for the guys.


7FF71742-6A38-420F-ABE5-828900D6DF37.jpeg
GEN3

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10738
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1218 Post by mike pobega » February 17th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Found some fresh ricottini locally and decided to make fried calzones. Fresh riccotini (drier than fresh ricotta), fresh mozzarella and a bit of parmigiano-reggiano.
Attachments
IMG_20190217_133126.jpg

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1219 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » February 19th, 2019, 9:26 am

Accompanying the Flannery steak in truffle sauce I posted in the Steak Porn thread, I also prepared the following for a Valentine's Day dinner for 2 couples:

SALAD: Spicy caesar, with green and black kale, radicchio di treviso, mint, cilantro, Fresno chilies (on the side), home-made dressing and Parmigiano-Reggiano "frico fa respirare i morti" (crisps so tasty they can make the dead breath again!)

POTATOES: Garlic butter-roasted fingerlings, apple cider vinegar-glazed cipollini onions

CLOUD CAKE: With black tea-infused silky whipped cream made in an iSi whip, and fresh berries

Recipes were all from the ChefStep site.
Attachments
IMG_4602.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3500
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1220 Post by scamhi » February 19th, 2019, 10:05 am

Beautiful, Kevin
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22369
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1221 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » February 19th, 2019, 10:11 am

Ribeye Phó from a couple weeks ago
22DF78F6-EE3B-40E2-86E2-63C9ED01900F.jpeg
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10738
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1222 Post by mike pobega » February 19th, 2019, 4:57 pm

A change up for me. Udon with roasted short ribs.
Attachments
45211760_10155922861088034_3782824950264496128_o.jpg

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: What did you cook tonight?

#1223 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » February 21st, 2019, 7:04 am

Sous vide Florida Royal Red shrimp, in Filipino adobo sauce (from ChefSteps), with roasted baby carrots, bok choy and jasmine rice, paired with 1999 Dom Perignon

SHRIMP: 158°F x 10 min. Coconut is not typical in Filipino adobo (the national dish), but I know from my Filipino cookbook that every island has a different recipe and it just so happens that my favorite one is from an island that actually uses coconut milk in their adobo sauce, so this was a pleasant find

BRAISE BOK CHOY: Heated pan with lid on high, cut bok choy in half lengthwise, added 1/2 cup water with bok choy, covered and steamed 1 minute, salt and served promptly

CARROTS: Found some lovely baby carrots at the farmers market, tossed pealed carrots with EVOO, salt, pepper and spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roasted 400°F x 25-30min until tender and browned. Finished with a squeeze of lemon
Attachments
IMG_4237.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”