Temple of Eastern NC Gastronomy: B's Barbecue

Going strong in my hometown, Greenville NC, since the 70s. Quintessential Eastern NC Q. If you ever find yourself within a couple of hours drive, GO. You’ll be glad you did.

The old sign, the one I remember from the 70s (which was still there when I last visited in 2012):

The new sign (I’m assured by locals that it’s the only thing that has changed):

The location:

“A Day at B’s Barbecue”: https://www.ourstate.com/a-day-at-bs-barbecue-greenville/

I’m hungry.

Not sure what prompted this post, Bob…nostalgia?? hunger?

But, timely. I am driving down to Atlanta in early May for our son’s graduation…and after graduation, when my wife flies home, driving him and his stuff back to Philadelphia.

I am a blank slate on what to experience in between, particularly south of Richmond, food wise and , otherwise. I have never really driven through this area to “look around”, and hope to do that on both ends, though taking 2-3 days to do it on the northward drive with my son, who has similar interests. (He texted me to tell me last weekend of his meal at Community BBQ in Atlanta, he enjoyed it so much)…

So…if this place is really worth a detour (if it is a detour?) I’m all ears about your opinion. Any other stops would be great, too…especially a place that makes and sells hams or things like that that aren’t a major detour.

Planning is at seminal stages, so the timing on this post is good, as it is making me hungry and motivated. Am really looking for destinations en route.

TIA

If you’re coming up 85 from Atlanta, Durham has a very vibrant restaurant scene. Given the number of Beard nominations the Triangle area does quite well in general. Or Chef and the Farmer in Kinston 30 miles away from B’s is nationally famous now because of the PBS series A Chef’s Life. Johnson Co Hams is well known but I don’t know what a tour might be like.

Robert is B’s really better than Skylight Inn? :slight_smile:

Stan -

My opinion: Yes it is.

Bob

Why no pictures of the food?

He’s never eaten there. [pillow-fight.gif] Just loves signs.

Their hush puppies are unique, like dowels split lengthwise. Tastewise, It didn’t quite crack my top 5 of classic NC BBQ spots (6th). So I did prefer Skylight which has more bits of brown and crispy skin in the mix.

I also like Jack Cobb and Son, a tiny place only open three days each week. No seats in or out, strictly take out. They sometimes sell fresh cabbages, so their slaw is really good. Most reasonably priced of any I’ve visited.

You’d drive less than 30 miles to visit Skylight, B’s and Cobb.

I’ll second Johnson County hams as worth a stop. They sell very good but pretty salty proscuitto. There’s a higher grade of proscuitto sold in the store, not online as far as I can tell, that is made from pigs finished on acorns. It’s like Iberico at a fraction of the price.

Stuart -

First pick your route, then I can make practical suggestions. Going south from Richmond, you have three choices"

• (1) I-95, picking up I-85 about 25 miles out of Richmond
  • (2) US 340, picking up I-85 west Of Durham NC
  • (3)!-95 all the way

Route (1) will take you right through Durham, if you want to take Stan’s suggestion. My information on the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is too dated to be of much use – law school was 39 years ago. Lots of folks will suggest Bullocks BBQ in Durham, but I never much liked it – though it could be completely different now, but I doubt it. Places like that don’t change much. The one place in the Triangle I can wholeheartedly recommend is Poole’s Diner Poole’s Diner | Ashley Christensen Restaurants in Raleigh. The Pit BBQ in Raleigh, http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/,opened to great acclaim several years ago, and I really wanted to go because Ed Mitchell was the pit master – but I understand he has parted ways with The Pit. Read about Ed Mitchell here: http://thepitmasteredmitchell.com/History.html Ed opened new place in Durham, Ed Mitchell’s Que. but alas it seems he closed it a week ago. Greenville NC (B’s Barbecue) would be at least a 3-1/2 to 4 hour round trip detour from this route.

Route (2) misses the Triangle altogether. It’s not the route I would take.

Route (3) has three highlights:

• B’s Barbecue would take you about 2 hours, round trip, out of your way. Take US 264 east close to Wilson NC. But get there early, they do run out.
  • A bit less of a detour is Wilber’s in Goldsboro NC, the best Eastern NC BBQ joint I know of not named B’s or Skylight Inn (Ayden NC). http://wilbersbarbecue.com/home.html Take US 264 east, then I-795 south to Goldsboro, then return to I-95 on US 70 west.

Another option altogether is to see how many stops along the North Carolina BBQ Society’s Historic Trail you can fit in. ncbbqsociety.com - Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! - Informationen zum Thema ncbbqsociety. Possibilities, if you take I-95, are:

• Skylight Inn, Ayden
  • B’s, Greenville
  • Jack Cobb & Sons BBQ Place, Farmville
  • Wilbur’s, Goldsboro
  • Grady’s Barbecue, Dudley

If you take I-85, Allen & Son Barbecue, Chapel Hill, will be within striking distance.

Whatever you do, do not go to Parker’s Barbecue in Wilson unless you have a hankering for fried chicken; theirs is excellent. The BBQ was good enough in the old days that it still enjoys a wide reputation – but they stopped cooking with wood and started using gas burners about 15 years ago. Nothing authentic about it.

That’s cause they’re not hush puppies, Bob, they’re corn sticks–baked, not fried.

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. This seems to be just off the beaten path between Raleigh and the OBX, I will make a detour to check it out in June when I am down for my stepsister’s wedding. It looks like there are some nice Civil War spots around there as well, I will enjoy a few with my dad.

I actually had B’s last year and it was amazing, overall my favorite bbq experience in Eastern NC. This place runs out of bbq so show up early and hungry, but not too hungry because if they run out the closest similar place is Bunn’s in Windsor.

Makes sense, Bob…thanks…
not going until May, so…

going down in 30 hours, probably…hope to take 2-3 days to drive back with my son. Do want to visit/try that ham place…intrigued by acorn-fed.

Do these parameters help you choose a route for me/us?

I’d like to going to things that aren’t more than 30 mins or so…out of the way, but…on the road north am more open to wandering and exploring to try some classics.

We did visit that place in Raleigh on our way south in 2012 to start college…it was good, but little “haute” for our goals. Not looking for “haute” but “real”.

I notice a big change…they went from Coke to Pepsi. Heathens. love local places like this.

Suzanne -

For historical reasons (Pepsi was invented in New Bern NC) most of Eastern NC–unlike most the rest of the South–has traditionally been Pepsi country.
The first (yes, the original) Hardee’s Hamburgers opened in Greenville NC, in 1960. It served Pepsi, not Co-Cola.
We only drank Co-Cola at my house, but we were part of a tiny minority.

The original Hardee’s, September 7, 1960.

thanks for the history. Professor.

Checking in to read the newer posts here I realized I spelled Johnston County incorrectly. Sorry guys. Hope y’all have a great trip up from Atlanta, Stuart.

When I lived in Florence Alabama, it was RC Cola and a moon pie, or RC Cola with a pouch of peanuts poured in the bottle. pepsi

Of course they are closed Sunday and Monday. [head-bang.gif]

It looks like it’s going to be Friday or bust. It’s a two-hour drive from Nags Head. I will see if I can round up any partners in crime from the wedding party.

How early do you have to get there? Does it make sense to be there even before they open? Are people lining up at the crack of dawn?

TIA for the tips.

Brent - Read the link at the bottom of the OP. Enjoy.

I am flying out to visit my sister in mid April and B’s is on the list of action items while I am out there.