Going full retard - the most complicated food you've made

For me, it’s boned and restuffed roast chicken. For those of you who saw the movie Jules and Julia, this is the final item she cooks, save for the crust covering that I do not bother with. I decided to take a stab at it again today, with photographs.

Step I: Remove all bones from a large roasting chicken from the inside out. Sprinkle salt and pepper on inside of chicken. Prepare a stuffing of whatever. In this case, 5 ounces hot Italian sausage, 11 ounces sweet Italian sausage, 6 ounces fresh ground pork shoulder, sprinkling of dried basil, oregano and parsley, one heaping tablespoon basil pesto, finely chopped mix of half red onion, six cloves garlic, 1/4 sweet red pepper, 1/4 sweet green pepper and some bread crumbs to hold it together. Form the stuffing into a loaf shape and lay across the inside of the filleted chicken like so (note that I did not bother to remove the second and third wing bones):

Then fold up the skin and sew it together so that the chicken surrounds the stuffing and is re-formed into the shape of a - - - chicken.

Spray the chicken with oil and dust with Cajun spice mix.

Roast in oven at 350 degrees. I’ll let you know how long when it’s done.

Jacques P on how to bone a chicken
Very helpful video

Love that scene in Tropic Thunder, just watched it last week

He is better and faster than I am. I will have to try his technique next time. I cut more away from the bone. He rips it away from the bone and doesn’t worry about what comes off the bone when he does it, and then pulls the rest of the meat off the bone by hand.

Is there an after picture?

Wow. Mel awesome video.

Every time I see Pepin I am amazed. He is one of the more graceful and talented chefs I’ve seen.

I want to try this now. And I now know how to make those chicken lollipop things :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Scott

Of course.

Out of the oven after about 2 hours 45 minutes with kite string still around it to keep the shape:

First slice through the middle:

Close up:

Visually it’s lovely, but is the taste worth it?

Yep. I split it down the middle of the breast when I start de-boning it and end up with two smaller stuffed pieces. Cooks in about 30 minutes. As with almost all chicken I cook, I brine the bird first.

Definitely worth it. Chicken is flavored more and stays very moist so long as you watch the temperature carefully. I usually brine this, but I didn’t yesterday because I was short on time. I once removed the bones, brined it over night in a ziplock bag and then assembled and roasted it. Delicious. I also once did it to a whole turkey, which tasted fine, but it was so big I could not get it to hold its shape. One day I will make a turducken from scratch, but it will have to be when my wife is out of town, since she has forbidden it after realizing how much of a mess I would make.

I made a turduckenail (quail inside a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey, all pasted together with sausage stuffing) once… not an easy thing to do, but it sure was impressive for guests!

Of course, nothing beats the Cthurken: Turducken? No, Thanks. I'll Have the Cthurkey. - Neatorama

Keller’s veal stock which was used for Keller’s onion soup.

That took a truly sick mind, but I got a good laugh. Do you have to genuflect before eating it?

******* Ducken? Yes, I think I will.

[video]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cwnh0_alain-passard-the-chicken-duck-duo-s-recipe_lifestyle[/video]

Rouen pressed duck. Civet de Lievre. Duck a la royale. Cassoulet. Chou garnie.

Can’t believe I never saw this before. Thank you!

This takes me at least a day to make. I do it once a year, around Turkey day.

also, Ramen is ridiculously complicated. broth and tare alone are a day each. Noodles.

A day for the soup, yes. The stock is pretty much an entire weekend, and not worth the effort for me anymore.

There’s a reason I’ll frequently order soup at good restaurants. It’s takes a long time to do right and I don’t often have the patience.

I love to make cassoulets, gumbo, paella, chili, any and every type of smoked product, pates, bacon, bacon jam…The most complicated dish I’ve ever made, though, would have to be my take on schweinebauch. Here it is:

Stuffed Bacon
5 day process
I cure the pork belly for 4 days, then rinse it and cut a cavity in it. I then stuff the bacon with a sausage I make out of smoked rib and duck meat (that I smoked the day before) as well as some homemade carnitas. I then put this in the smoker for 3.5-4 hours using hickory. After smoking, I let it rest overnight and then slice and pan fry.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg