Making Tonkotsu Broth

This year, my wife and I moved to a smaller city in East Texas. Prior to moving to Texas, we lived in Chicago and were able to get ramen on a regular basis. That is no longer the case. I am sure that if we drive to Dallas, we could find a good bowl of ramen. However, driving to Dallas for ramen isn’t always practical. This weekend, I am going to try and make my own Tonkotsu broth (which based on what I have read, may be more difficult than driving to Dallas for a bowl). I found the following informative article online:

Have any of you ever tried to make Tonkotsu broth? If so, I would appreciate any advice or tips based on your experience.

Just read the link and I’d just follow the directions as he knows what he is doing and the whole first boil then dump is a well known technique for clear stocks. Good luck!

you might also buy the Ivan Ramen book. It’s one of the worst written, self-aggrandizing pieces of junk i’ve ever seen, but he does have a solid recipe for the broth.

I actually did this recipe last year. It was very time consuming and I probably shouldn’t have started it so late a night (9pm). I followed the directions and it came out great. I omitted adding the back fat at the end and did not find the broth lacked anything. The initial boil and dump is important, otherwise you’ll be skimming a lot of the coagulated blood off for a while.

William, thanks for your comment. I was hoping someone had tried it and could vouch for it. I am going to try and make it on Sunday.

Nice, let me know what you think of the recipe. It was really good I thought, but it was a decent amount of work to make and I don’t really want to make it again unless I’m in the mood for that much cooking (I did the eggs and the chashu pork belly and bought the ramen from sun noodle).

I’ve done Kenji’s recipe numerous times, it’s a good recipe for a home cook to approximate a Tonkotsu.
I also like David Chang’s Momofuku recipe.
Ivan Ramen’s is actually my favorite ramen to do at home, though it is a shio ramen and not tonkotsu.
Have fun, Jimmy, it’s worth the effort.

Thanks for sharing this. I gotta try to make this!