Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by CWun » November 17th, 2016, 11:24 pm

yeah i've been at Rich Table 3 times now in the past year and all were great. i will say though that the appetizers are more interesting/better executed than the mains or pastas, but I'm splitting hairs.
C@r_y

Dennis Atick

#102 Post by Dennis Atick » July 7th, 2017, 4:25 am

This is a valuable thread...but Any recent and new info to add here?
There's a good current discussion about SF and wine in Wine Talk and I don't want to hijack that thread, so I'm bumping this one.

I was just in town very briefly last week and had one lunch lat Tartine Manufactory which was A+
Returning on short notice end of next week and looking for some ideas.
Hoping to do Morris, State Bird or Belotta for dinner as walk-ins at bar.
But what about lunch? What's good for probably solo lunches? And casual or fun stuff, specifically like:
Ramen? Korean? Tacos?
Staying in Union Sq but will travel a little.
Thanks all.
@decaturwinedude

Rama Roberts

#103 Post by Rama Roberts » July 7th, 2017, 7:16 am

Dennis, check out HRD. Its a fast Korean fusion place known for their burritos not far from Union Square.

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#104 Post by bradkaplan » July 7th, 2017, 8:42 am

Just got back. Was slightly underwhelmed (though still happy) with both The Morris and The Progress (same folks as State Bird). Had a great experience at Bellota - fun take on Spanish, excellent paella (tried three variations), great bar (spanning sidras, wine, cocktails...). Though it's really a place to go with a large group rather than solo.

Re wine... both The Morris and The Progress excel on their reserve bottle lists, not so much on the by the glass. Same true for Bellota really (and, well, most places).

Swan Oyster Bar should be on your list (it was on mine, I've been before, but I pulled up and they were closed - call and check to make sure they're back from 4th of July vacation). Also, hitting Hog Island and the other stalls at Ferry Plaza is always great solo.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Betty C » July 7th, 2017, 8:46 am

Little Skillet by the ballpark has the best fried chicken. It shares space with a bar so fried chicken and beer FTW!

For tacos and carne asada fries, Garaje is great. Good beer there too but cash only.

If you're a fan of a lot of hype, long lines, and high prices, you'll love Mensho for ramen. If not, Ramen Underground might be more your speed, walking distance of Union Square, and open for lunch. Once it's dinner time I prefer Orenchi in the Mission.
Ch00

Dennis Atick

#106 Post by Dennis Atick » July 7th, 2017, 5:30 pm

bradkaplan wrote:Just got back. Was slightly underwhelmed (though still happy) with both The Morris and The Progress (same folks as State Bird). Had a great experience at Bellota - fun take on Spanish, excellent paella (tried three variations), great bar (spanning sidras, wine, cocktails...). Though it's really a place to go with a large group rather than solo.

Re wine... both The Morris and The Progress excel on their reserve bottle lists, not so much on the by the glass. Same true for Bellota really (and, well, most places).

Swan Oyster Bar should be on your list (it was on mine, I've been before, but I pulled up and they were closed - call and check to make sure they're back from 4th of July vacation). Also, hitting Hog Island and the other stalls at Ferry Plaza is always great solo.
Thanks. Saved me the energy of that text I was going to send you [cheers.gif]
Betty C wrote:Little Skillet by the ballpark has the best fried chicken. It shares space with a bar so fried chicken and beer FTW!

For tacos and carne asada fries, Garaje is great. Good beer there too but cash only.

If you're a fan of a lot of hype, long lines, and high prices, you'll love Mensho for ramen. If not, Ramen Underground might be more your speed, walking distance of Union Square, and open for lunch. Once it's dinner time I prefer Orenchi in the Mission.
Thansk, Betty
@decaturwinedude

dteng

#107 Post by dteng » July 8th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Dennis,
Have you done Rich Table?
Go at 5pm opening and get a seat at the dinner bar.
I love their apps and pastas.
Dan

Dennis Atick

#108 Post by Dennis Atick » July 9th, 2017, 4:13 am

Thanks, Dan. Rick Table is also on my list of possibilities.
Trying to work out a day to get there early as you say.
Thanks!
@decaturwinedude

Dennis Atick

#109 Post by Dennis Atick » July 20th, 2017, 12:27 pm

dteng wrote:Dennis,
I did just that, Dan. And had a great time.

I'll add to this thread with reflections from the past few days. Rich Table was excellent. Weird to head to a restaurant at 4:45 on a Sunday afternoon and find a line 10 strong already waiting to get in. But I was early enough to get a sear at the bar. I tasted 4 dishes, all were excellent. The sea urchin cacio e pepe is memorable. The bar is a fantastic place to sit, nice wine list, though stronger in full bottle. They had Jamie Kutch's Caifornia field blend pinot by the glass which was quite nice.

State Bird Provisions the next night was really killer. Again, 15 people deep in line at 5pm on a Monday feels strange, but it worked. Had a nice little corner table to myself and tasted a dozen or so bites and a few commandables. The beef tongue pastrami on buckwheat and poppyseed pancake. Wow. Loved, loved this place. I'd be here on the regular if I was a local.

One hit that didn't get talked up here too much was Liholiho Yacht Club just off Union Square. Hawaiin-Philipino-Tawainese mash up. Fun, fun. Try the house made spam-fried rice dish. Also had a beautiful yellowtail sashimi with strawberries and flowers. Pretty food. Rather clean. Tasty. Cool vibe.

My single disappointment was Kin Khao. Not an ideal situation, dining solo, at lunch and one dish, as I was in a hurry. I had the Nam Prik rice noodles with creamy coconut curry sauce. It was ok. Good flavor, eh, a little underwhelming. And with tax and tip it was a $28 noodle bowl.

A few pics:
IMG_20170716_173531_906.jpg
Sea urchin cacio e pepe with tajarin at Rich Table
IMG_20170716_173531_906.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
20170716_172602.jpg
Kale salsa verde bao at Rich Table
20170716_172602.jpg (17.94 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
20170717_180053.jpg
Grilled octopus with butter bean "ranch" and chili bbq sauce at SB
20170717_180053.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
20170717_175140.jpg
Black cod collar with tamari glaze at State Bird
20170717_175140.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
20170717_182904.jpg
Carrot "mochi"
20170717_182904.jpg (18.83 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Attachments
20170717_182959.jpg
Beef tongue pastrami and pancake at State Bird
20170717_182959.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
@decaturwinedude

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#110 Post by bradkaplan » July 20th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:Weird to head to a restaurant at 4:45 on a Sunday afternoon and find a line 10 strong already waiting to get in. But I was early enough to get a sear at the bar...

State Bird Provisions the next night was really killer. Again, 15 people deep in line at 5pm on a Monday feels strange, but it worked.
And people like to complain about having a hard time getting in to Staplehouse in Atlanta... ; )
www.ThirstySouth.com

Dennis Atick

#111 Post by Dennis Atick » July 20th, 2017, 4:01 pm

bradkaplan wrote: And people like to complain about having a hard time getting in to Staplehouse in Atlanta... ; )
[cheers.gif] Well-played.
@decaturwinedude

Robert Dentice

#112 Post by Robert Dentice » July 20th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Glad you like State Bird. I LOVE it! I live in NYC and have eaten there 2 times in the last week and well over 75 since they opened!

todd waldmann

#113 Post by todd waldmann » July 20th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Glad you like State Bird. I LOVE it! I live in NYC and have eaten there 2 times in the last week and well over 75 since they opened!
Besides getting in line at 4:45, any tricks? I've got AmEx concierge lined up to try for us for late September, but they failed miserably last time & I'm not optimistic.....
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

todd waldmann

#114 Post by todd waldmann » July 20th, 2017, 8:16 pm

dteng wrote:Dennis,
We went at 5 prior to the opera last fall & really enjoyed it. We plan on that again in September.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Betty C » July 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

todd waldmann wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:Glad you like State Bird. I LOVE it! I live in NYC and have eaten there 2 times in the last week and well over 75 since they opened!
Besides getting in line at 4:45, any tricks? I've got AmEx concierge lined up to try for us for late September, but they failed miserably last time & I'm not optimistic.....
Check for reservations daily. If you don't mind eating after 9:00, you might find something.
Ch00

Dennis Atick

#116 Post by Dennis Atick » July 21st, 2017, 8:46 am

Lucky you! I really did enjoy everything about that place.
@decaturwinedude

Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Mike Wenzel » July 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

State Bird and Rich Table are two of the best in SF for sure. Heading to Rich Table tomorrow night.

I have had lunch at Kin Khao about four times and its been great every time. Sorry you did not have a great experience. It's better with multiple people.

Robert Dentice

#118 Post by Robert Dentice » August 16th, 2017, 6:08 am

I ate at La Ciccia last night and it was excellent as always. I love there place and there really is no other like it in the U.S. I will not wait as long to return. Some pictures on my instagram

P. Willenberg

#119 Post by P. Willenberg » August 16th, 2017, 6:23 am

Robert Dentice wrote:I ate at La Ciccia last night and it was excellent as always. I love there place and there really is no other like it in the U.S. I will not wait as long to return. Some pictures on my instagram

Have you been to Mister Jiu's, Robert? Curious to get your take.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#120 Post by Robert Dentice » August 16th, 2017, 7:11 am

P. Willenberg wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:I ate at La Ciccia last night and it was excellent as always. I love there place and there really is no other like it in the U.S. I will not wait as long to return. Some pictures on my instagram

Have you been to Mister Jiu's, Robert? Curious to get your take.
Not yet although I am very curious.

ERPark

#121 Post by ERPark » August 16th, 2017, 7:19 am

I've been to Mister Jiu's. They execute their menu well, the decor and vibe are sleek and modern, and they have a solid alcohol program (wine, beer and bar). I understand why they're crowded and they get plaudits from critics.

That being said, me being of Asian descent blanches at the idea that injecting fusion concepts into the cuisine means the price doubles or triples. Or more bluntly, if the blog "Stuff White People Like" were still active, then Mister Jiu's would no doubt get an entry.......
GEN3

Robert Dentice

#122 Post by Robert Dentice » August 17th, 2017, 7:08 am

I needed a place close to the airport and the opposite direction as the City. I did some research and found a Southern Indian restaurant that has a Michelin Star. I looked online and the winelist was horrible so I grabbed a bottle of Riesling from K&L which is admittedly a bit awkward for a client dinner when the client is not into wine. Overall I thought the food was very good to excellent and reasonably priced. The Dosas were the stars of the menu. $25 corkage.

http://rasaindian.com

P. Willenberg

#123 Post by P. Willenberg » August 18th, 2017, 7:16 am

For future reference: Asian Pearl and Ipoh Garden are my a-bit-too-close-to-the-airport standbys
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#124 Post by Robert Dentice » August 19th, 2017, 9:21 am

Another great and joyous meal at State Bird. They are closing until post-Labor day for renovations so I was happy to get one more meal in before State Bird 3.0

Pictures on my IG

Also had breakfast at Tartine Manufactory. Very good but the Bread is the star.

P. Willenberg

#125 Post by P. Willenberg » August 22nd, 2017, 8:23 am

I'm glad to hear Tartine Manufactory was good. I've felt my last few visits to the original Tartine haven't been up to par.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

todd waldmann

#126 Post by todd waldmann » August 30th, 2017, 4:01 pm

I'm looking for some help with picking someplace to eat before the opera. We have eaten at Rich Table before the opera in the past and plan on that again on one of the two nights we have opera tickets, but I'm looking for someplace for the second night, which is a Thursday. The performance starts at 7:30 and we will not be seated if we are late.

The places that I'm considering: SPQR, Petit Crenn, Mister Jiu's, La Ciccia, and Spruce.

La Ciccia looks great, but is a bit farther away from the opera house and doesn't open until 5:30. Spruce and Petit Crenn both open at 5. Every other place on the list opens at 5:30. Like Rich Table, Petit Crenn is very close to the opera house.

At the moment I am leaning toward Petit Crenn, but I would want some reassurance that we would be able to get through the tasting menu in time.

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Betty C » August 30th, 2017, 4:38 pm

todd waldmann wrote:I'm looking for some help with picking someplace to eat before the opera. We have eaten at Rich Table before the opera in the past and plan on that again on one of the two nights we have opera tickets, but I'm looking for someplace for the second night, which is a Thursday. The performance starts at 7:30 and we will not be seated if we are late.

The places that I'm considering: SPQR, Petit Crenn, Mister Jiu's, La Ciccia, and Spruce.

La Ciccia looks great, but is a bit farther away from the opera house and doesn't open until 5:30. Spruce and Petit Crenn both open at 5. Every other place on the list opens at 5:30. Like Rich Table, Petit Crenn is very close to the opera house.

At the moment I am leaning toward Petit Crenn, but I would want some reassurance that we would be able to get through the tasting menu in time.
Give Petit Crenn a call and see if they can accommodate your time constraints. Another option in that neighborhood would be Jardinière. They're used to accommodating opera patrons.
Ch00

ERPark

#128 Post by ERPark » August 30th, 2017, 7:43 pm

If you're concerned about time, Zuni Cafe is open from 11:30AM onwards........
GEN3

todd waldmann

#129 Post by todd waldmann » September 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Does anyone have any inside info on how to get in touch with someone at Petit Crenn? Three unanswered messages on the phone over the course of a week. The voice message mailbox is now full, so mine are clearly not the only unanswered messages. An email resulted in an immediate (clearly automatic) response listing their hours and a link to their website without any info related to my question. Is it even worthwhile?

slada

#130 Post by slada » September 6th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Todd try Octavia- close to theater great food
cheers, sam lada

P. Willenberg

#131 Post by P. Willenberg » September 8th, 2017, 6:01 am

State Bird Provisions has a cookbook coming out soon!
by Stuart Brioza et al.
Link: http://a.co/9K6ti2Q
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

todd waldmann

#132 Post by todd waldmann » October 8th, 2017, 11:26 am

We spent last weekend in San Francisco- two early pre-opera dinners, a more standard dinner time, lunch at Kin Khao and dim sum comprised our meals.

Spruce (5pm, pre-opera)- lovely space, great service, amazing wine list, well executed food, but it lacked any sort of 'wow' factor. A highlight was the corn velouté with Dungeness crab. We enjoyed it, but there was nothing about it that would compel me to return.

Kin Khao (lunch)- we had a delicious lunch. The nam tok beans were fantastic- salt, acid, chili all perfectly balanced. The khao soi (chicken curry) was also great.

State Bird Provisions- We had a reservation, so didn't need to get in line to put our name on the list. We drank an '83 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Goldkapsel Auslese and an '83 Remoissenet Grands-Échezeaux. The Riesling was a great match for the food. We loved our meal there. The vibe is very casual and fun. The food is inventive and delicious. The delicata squash tempura, sourdough pancakes with sauerkraut, ricotta and pecorino, and the carrot "mochi" were our favorites, but everything was great. We will go back, no question.

Hong Kong Lounge II- Dim sum (maybe the best pork buns I've ever ever had). Much more laid back than Yank Sing, which has been our go to place previously.

Rich Table- (5pm, pre-opera). This was our second time at Rich Table. It is more upscale and traditional than State Bird, but still very relaxed. Love the sardine chips. The burrata, chicken tikka masala was outstanding as were the tonnarelli sea urchin cacio e pepe & the octopus with sesame oil and hearts of palm. The caviar with buttermilk biscuit flat out didn't work and was disappointing, but everything else was at least very good. We washed it down with a Selosee les Carelles, which was also pretty good. :-) I had them decant it (which was the right thing- the air helped it open up), but I got a puzzled look for my request.

Great weekend. Great food.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by G. Keeler » December 5th, 2017, 11:04 am

Was in SF last weekend with the family. Our restaurant choices were somewhat limited by having our 2.5 and 4.5 year olds with us but they are pretty good eaters so we still had some fun.

First night we met some friends at Pabu. It was fine for what it is and they handled the kids really well. Not something I would seek out if it was just me and my wife but the kids had plenty of choices, the service was great and the sake list was well stocked.

Lunch the next day at Kokkari. It's probably been 10 years since my last visit and I'm happy to say the food is still really good. Grilled octopus was perfectly cooked as was the lamb chops and potatoes. Lamb ribs and zucchini cakes also great. Tried a glass each of a greek white and red and both worked really well with the food. Server really took good care of the kids and everyone felt comfortable.

Last dinner was at Izakaya Rintaro. Really loved this place and they again took great care of the kids. We shared both the Kanpachi and Suzuki sashimi plates that were clean and fresh. Also tried the 10 layer pork katsu, chicken oyster and chicken heart yakitori, kake udon and a don with tuna and egg. All excellent as was our sake recommended by the server. Wish we had a place like this in our neighborhood.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#134 Post by Robert Dentice » January 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Another spectacular breakfast at Tartine Manufactory:

God I love that place.

I tried R.T.B. a new place from two former Saison employees, the chef also worked at Atelier Crenn.

The base tasting menu is $88 and a real value. On Saturday they offered caviar, wagyu and black truffle supplements. I went for the Caviar and Wagyu and they comped me the black truffles. Overall a very nice meal with some real high points. Perfect portion sizes and timing. I did not feel as though the meal dragged on and was not stuffed at the end. Very small place with attentive service. They are still getting the wine program together yet still had lots of offer. They are really into Sake and I tried two of the wine pairing Sakes and they worked well with the dishes. Overall I really enjoyed it and will go back.

Lots of pictures on my instagram:

I went to a client dinner at Sons and Daughters and it was ok but lost some of the sizzle it once had. I was a bit bored with the meal. I would rather go to Commonwealth any day.
Last edited by Robert Dentice on January 12th, 2018, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by mark rudner » January 10th, 2018, 9:29 am

robert
that pic of the cheese tart has me drooling
going to try and squeeze rtb in, thanks

Robert Dentice

#136 Post by Robert Dentice » January 12th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Wonderful lunch at Akikos:

Had drinks and snacks at The Morris - it is now solidly in the rotation. Great wine list and very good people.

Fantastic meal at Commonwealth.

I know I sound like a broken record but another great meal at State Bird!

Tonight The Progress...

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by G. Keeler » January 13th, 2018, 8:25 am

Akiko’s is really good and a fun vibe. Loved our lone meal at The Progress as well, even more than State Bird.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#138 Post by Robert Dentice » January 13th, 2018, 8:45 am

The Progess was AMAZING. Best meal I have had there.

The Rabbit dish was stunning:

dteng

#139 Post by dteng » January 14th, 2018, 11:24 am

Glad to hear - Going to Commonwealth tonight.
Meal there two years ago was good not great.
Dan

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#140 Post by fred o. » April 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm

bumping to ask if any SF natives have recs for bars with interesting cocktails? I heard Julian Cox was setting up the bar program at Tartine Manufactory, will try to check that out, but would appreciate any other recs if you guys have any. Thanks!

P. Willenberg

#141 Post by P. Willenberg » April 30th, 2018, 6:39 am

fred o. wrote:bumping to ask if any SF natives have recs for bars with interesting cocktails? I heard Julian Cox was setting up the bar program at Tartine Manufactory, will try to check that out, but would appreciate any other recs if you guys have any. Thanks!
True Laurel
Gibson
Basement Bar under Liholiho Yacht Club called Louie's Gen-Gen room
Upstairs bar above China Live called Cold Drinks
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#142 Post by Robert Dentice » April 30th, 2018, 11:11 am

fred o. wrote:bumping to ask if any SF natives have recs for bars with interesting cocktails? I heard Julian Cox was setting up the bar program at Tartine Manufactory, will try to check that out, but would appreciate any other recs if you guys have any. Thanks!
The Progress has excellent cocktails in their front Bar area and you can order off a bar menu or a la carte from the full menu.

The Morris has a good cocktail program plus Madeira and Chartreuse and other interesting libations.

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#143 Post by Betty C » April 30th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Another vote for Louie’s Gen-Gen room. Also try a Trick Dog and Smuggler’s Cove.
Ch00

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 2nd, 2018, 8:53 am

No one mentioning Whitechapel? They do a great job with gin-based cocktails.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by fred o. » May 14th, 2018, 6:39 pm

thanks so much to you guys for the recs, wish I could have tried more.

Louie's Gen-Gen room: probably our favorite cocktail bar of the trip. we went early on a Saturday evening so it had a chill vibe; the drinks were perfectly balanced and the food was delicious. The wine list was very interesting, I'm half joking when I say this but it seemed better than it needed to be, some interesting selections like chateau de breze, huet, etc. We made a reservation but I think they take walk ins, too. Btw, the food at Liholiho Yacht Club looked really interesting, as well.

Trick Dog: great drinks but it was absolutely crazily busy and noisy close to midnight on a Friday, granted I know it's peak time, but still... would go back when it's more sane.

Smuggler's Cove: a rum lover's paradise. very low key, pleasant vibe, good drinks with friendly service.

The Progress: ate there for dinner and had a couple of the cocktails, they were indeed very good, well-balanced. They advertised the martini as having been awarded one of the best in the US, which was cool. I liked the food overall, we had a lamb platter along with some small sides, the platter was huge, they say it's enough for 2-6 people but I'd lean closer to the 6-ppl side of that. If anything, I think the veggie dishes were the stars for us, really fresh. The wine list was interesting but the bottle list seemed overpriced to me, they did have some interesting verticals however above my paygrade...

some other notes on restaurants, thanks to you guys for the posts previously, also read on food talk central SF which was helpful as well.

Petit Crenn: very cute ambiance, a lot of birthdays -- seems like a popular spot for lower-key special occasions. Light veggie and seafood focus, very well done. Would definitely go back, and would love to try Atelier Crenn sometime.

In Situ: brilliant concept. the Nathan Myrhvold carrot soup was amazing, so flavor dense. the Massimo Bottura lemon tart was amazing. The cocktails were OK; the wine list was interesting, they limit it to only California selections.

Benu: special occasion and a splurge but one of the most amazing meals I've ever had. for someone who half grew up eating Korean food, this was a revelation. the small bites at the start were particularly amazing, I felt like they were a showcase for Corey Lee's unfettered creativity in a way that some of the later dishes (like the "shark fin" soup and cod dish, for example) lacked. Loved the soondae dish, though, and the simple uni and caviar dish -- so perfect in its execution and balance of flavors. The beverage pairing was very interesting and well-done; I could see how someone with a deep cellar might favor bringing older white burgs/rieslings, but I liked the pairings overall, especially the older dry verdelho Madeira with the shark fin soup (Yoon Ha had a great explanation for the pairing as a substitute for the decades-aged Chinese rice wines that would be traditionally paired but are harder to source), and the Gros Ventre pinot with the pork belly (hadn't heard of the producer but loved the menthol/mint and herbal signature of the wine). A unique and special dining experience, I would definitely go back.

B patisserie: tried this on a whim after I had read about the James Beard awards. it was mother's day and they were slammed, so perhaps not the best day to go, but the pastries were just so-so to me. Tasty but not exceptional. I would go back, though, and try more of the kouign amann.

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Betty C » May 15th, 2018, 10:38 am

fred o. wrote:Btw, the food at Liholiho Yacht Club looked really interesting, as well.
I'm impressed by how many places you tried! Definitely check out Liholiho the next time you're in town. The food is excellent and I'd choose it over The Progress.
Ch00

Barry L i p t o n

#147 Post by Barry L i p t o n » June 16th, 2018, 10:48 am

Had a few meals;

August 1 Five; supposed to be modern Indian, very delicious but not even Indian accesnts discernible in half the dishes. I’d go back.

Boulevard- for me, a perfect restaurant (other than the crowds)) Nothing cutting edge but what they do is always consistently excellent. Best chocolate sorbet in the history of the universe! Scallop app and halibut entree pristine and perfectly prepared.

Commonwealth - the best dishes were great, the ones that missed were notable misses. Completely bland artichoke dish, a sea urchin dish was marred by granita, which killed the textural pleasure and didn’t add to the flavors. Monkfish, mushrooms, young hen, swear breads were excellent. We had a good table and the ambience was terrible, rock hard chairs, really poor wines by the glas. If convenient, I’d go more often, but I usually find the schlep to the mission from where I stay downtown a disincentive. A lot depends on your interest in innovation vs consistency.

Wise Brothers at the Jewish museum. For deli starved Bay Area folks , it’s great. For those who like to compare Langers vs Katz’s , it’s just a dry-ish but reasonably well spiced pastrami sandwich.

Campton Place - outstanding meal, Indian influences, very delicious. I thought it was Indian Cuisine, my wife did not, but still stellar food.

Justin S

#148 Post by Justin S » July 17th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Anyone been to Mourad recently?
$ ! n g h

Yao C

#149 Post by Yao C » July 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Yes, I've found it consistently good. Strongly recommend the duck basteeya and the chicken to share and the honey dessert. Also Domaine du Pelican :)
C h 0 o n 6

G. Greenbaum

Re: Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

#150 Post by G. Greenbaum » August 13th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Just returned from a few days in SF. It's been a few years and I realized how much I love it and missed it. Briefly, we ate at Cotogna, Rich Table & The Progress for dinner and two lunches worth mentioning at Zuni Café and City View Restaurant. What can be said about Zuni that hasn't already been? Just a wonderful place with the best roast chicken and bread salad. Have to get it! And the 2016 PYCM Bourgogne was $70!!! City View has been my go to dim sum (over Yank Sing) for years. It's well priced, very solid and delicious and the onion cakes are killer. Cotogna was excellent for our first night out. Very solid and nice wine list. Our NYC friends loved it. Second dinner at Rich Table was fantastic. The food is really well executed. I could eat here often. I also was very pleased with a $30 corkage policy (free if you buy off the list). The pork belly, porcini donuts, sardine chips, Tonnarell cacao & pepe with sea urchin were all standouts. But the place that I keep thinking about was The Progress. The food is just stunning. Service was excellent. 4 of our 5 dishes were amazing. The boquerones, charred summer green beans, squid ink noodles and roasted mushrooms were highlights in both flavor and presentation. One dish, the roast potato with soft egg was very good but not special. Had 2 half carafes, a trocken Riesling and Nebbiolo Roero that paired well. The food here is worth the hype imho. Beautifully thought out dishes. My only grip is they rushed things a touch. When I asked them to slow it done, all was good. We walked over to The Snug for a night cap. I won't wait as long for a return to SF.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”