Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

#151 Post by p@ulbortin » August 17th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Commis - loved the superb tasting menu.

Good Mong Kok - probably the best Dim Sum in the world beating Lung King Heen Hong Kong , Tim Ho Wan and maybe Din Thai Fung Taipei for depth of flavors and value!

Mensho Tokyo - fantastic bowls of ramen beat the lines arrive at 5:00

Zuni - awesome chicken

Koi Palace - very good dim sum and high end Cantonese

Michael Mina - good

R&G Lounge - can’t get enough of the salt & pepper crab

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 17th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Saturday arrival with a last minute lunch at Cotogna, expensive but worth it. Dinner at Boulevard: good dinner, maybe a bit older restaurant but a nice wine list. Ordered PYCM off the list and byob a bottle of Marie Courtin from Flatiron.
Sunday: Slanted Door lunch was good. Gary Danko late at night had good food and excellent service, need to plan better.
Following Friday at Perbacco, food was OK. Ordered a Isole e Olena Syrah off the list.
Saturday at Kokkari for dinner, bottle of CAI Riesling with a glass of sake after. Very good food at a reasonable price, not really interested in $300 omkase menus.

Yao C

#153 Post by Yao C » August 21st, 2018, 8:25 pm

p@ulbortin wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 12:55 pm
I think Mensho is good but nonetheless overrated, especially considering the ridiculous wait. I would strongly recommend either Nojo (similar style; chicken-based) or Hinodeya (utterly different; seafood-based) over Mensho any day; to me they represent the best of SF ramen
C h 0 o n 6

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » August 24th, 2018, 11:21 pm

I went to rich table tonight, it was great! I think the portion sizes were a bit bigger then I expected and I was stuffed with two small plates and two apps. They comped my corkage which was nice! I often find that corkage on 375s is comped tho!

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#155 Post by TR Barry » August 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

I can echo Michael's experience as I was at Rich Table last week as well. We left happy and full with the choices we made with great service and a fun menu to explore. Highlights were the Salmon sashimi, aged beef wonton and pork belly larb with a lovely bottle of Brick House Gamay Noir and Rich Table Coffee (which my wife has tasked me with recreating as it was truly delicious).
Todd- Lost In The White Room

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by p@ulbortin » August 29th, 2018, 10:21 am

Yao C wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 8:25 pm
p@ulbortin wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 12:55 pm
I think Mensho is good but nonetheless overrated, especially considering the ridiculous wait. I would strongly recommend either Nojo (similar style; chicken-based) or Hinodeya (utterly different; seafood-based) over Mensho any day; to me they represent the best of SF ramen
Thanks eager to try these!

Waraku has terrific Pork based soup.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by G. Keeler » November 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm

My wife and I spent a few quick days in SF this past weekend. Food highlights:

Tartine Manufactory - We went for lunch on the first day and brunch on the last. Bread and butter is worth the trip but also loved their squash and celery root soup and the lamb meatballs. We had tasty Gamay from Jolie Laide off the list.

Robin - Robin is a modern take on omakase. High quality ingredients with a very thoughtful preparation and presentation. Some of the dishes were more successful than others but overall we had a great time. Good sake list, nice hip hop mix in the background and good interaction with the chefs made for a fun night.

Zuni - Went for lunch on a Saturday. Its been a few years since my last visit and its still a great place to have a relaxing lunch. Started with some oysters, shared a pasta and then did the chicken. Started with a cocktail and then the 2007 PYCM Saint Aubin En Remilly was drinking great and perfect with the chicken. Food was on point as expected. Never a wow but always comforting. I have to add that we walked from the Four Seasons to Zuni and I know that is not the best stretch of town but the amount of trash, shit and piss we had to wade through for that 25 minute walk was eye opening. It felt much worse than the last time I did that walk.

Mourad - Met some friends for dinner at Mourad on the last night. Mourad was picked partly because it could fit our larger group. I didn't know much about it ahead of time but I thought the food was great. Lots of starters but my favorite was the perfectly cooked octopus. For the mains the lamb shoulder tangia was really incredible. Cooked perfect, beautifully presented and tasted great. It was not a wine crowd so we were mainly cocktails but I also grabbed a glass of Alain Grailot St. Joseph off the list that paired great with the lamb.

Another fun trip to SF. We are already planning the next visit.
G L E N N

Barry L i p t o n

#158 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 13th, 2019, 9:22 am

Anyone been to Uva Enoteca? A buddy got a gift certificate for dining there.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by alan weinberg » January 14th, 2019, 7:34 am

G. Keeler wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm
I have to add that we walked from the Four Seasons to Zuni and I know that is not the best stretch of town but the amount of trash, shit and piss we had to wade through for that 25 minute walk was eye opening. It felt much worse than the last time I did
we won’t return for our annual SF trip. Harassed by aggressive mentally ill homeless, stepping around feces and urine, seeing more than one homeless person masturbating on the sidewalk—and defecating—not a pretty city any more. The decline is huge.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by John Davis » January 14th, 2019, 10:04 am

Agreed, it is getting difficult to enjoy SF. After dozens of visits, it seems to just get worse each time.
ITB

Robert Dentice

#161 Post by Robert Dentice » January 14th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I was in San Francisco for the annual Healthcare conference and had a few client dinners. I ate at State Bird 4 out of 5 nights and The Progress on the other. Just outstanding and one my favorite restaurants in the world! I could have easily eaten there a few more times, what more can you say about a restaurant than you would eat there every night of the week and not get bored!

Some photos on my IG:

State Bird

The Progress

I also ate Breakfast twice and one lunch at Tartine Manufactory. Excellent as always.

And after an insane week dealing with the Conference (interestingly the backlash to move the conference out of SF is as loud as ever because of several reasons including the city is just not set up to handle this conference, price gouging and the aggressiveness of the homeless mentioned above) I headed to a new place in Elk California called The Harbour House Inn, the Chef formerly of Saison and In der Wulf and many other great restaurants took over the Inn with his partner and has transformed it into a food destination (I will try to put up a separate post on it). Needless to say the whole experience - The Inn, location and food was amazing.

Robert Dentice

#162 Post by Robert Dentice » February 5th, 2019, 5:48 am

Despite some not so great experiences at Saison I tried Angler. Well I have mixed feelings. The salad dish was one of the best salads I have ever had in a restaurant. Just a huge plate of the best greens and herbs you can get in Northern California. The chicken was also extremely good. However the wine list and overall attitude just feels like they are fleecing you because they can. I don't think I have ever seen such high mark-ups on a wine list. Wines that generally trade at inflated prices in the grey / secondary market are on their list at 4x these inflated prices. For example 07 Coche Meursault was on the list for $1875. AND then there is THE music one of my #1 complaints about Saison is the Chefs obsession with Huey Lewis and the News! And there it was to great me on the loud playlist when I walked in the door and it seemed to play every 3rd or 4th song. The food is not good enough to make up for all of the others flaws and there are so many great restaurants in SF...when I leave State Bird I feel fully satisfied and uplifted when I left Angler I was full but empty! I am sure you could have a great time here if you were with a group of friends and someone else was paying the bill which by the way was the answer given to me when I asked the waiter why the wine list mark ups were so high - he said something like when you have a restaurant in a location where other people pay the bills you can charge whatever you want!

John Ammons

#163 Post by John Ammons » March 3rd, 2019, 8:33 pm

Anyone read the debut writing of the new Chronicle food critic, Soleil Ho? Her first 5 reviews appeared today in an introductory package, although with several short essays discussing her views and philosophies as she tackles the job.

One thing's for certain - she's a fresh voice. And she won't be giving star ratings. What are the point whores going to do? :)

Robert Dentice

#164 Post by Robert Dentice » March 4th, 2019, 3:49 am

John Ammons wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 8:33 pm
Anyone read the debut writing of the new Chronicle food critic, Soleil Ho? Her first 5 reviews appeared today in an introductory package, although with several short essays discussing her views and philosophies as she tackles the job.

One thing's for certain - she's a fresh voice. And she won't be giving star ratings. What are the point whores going to do? :)
I read her review of Chez Panisse and I felt the same way after my last visit. They are definitely resting on their laurels.

ERPark

#165 Post by ERPark » March 4th, 2019, 9:11 am

Had lunch recently at Mourad. My first time dining there, though I’d been to Aziza back in the day. Flawless cooking, stellar ingredients, solid service and decor that oozes hipness equals a great spot for dates or larger groups. Ordered a bottle of 2016 Mugneret-Gibourg Vogne Romanee that was fairly priced, and noted their wine list had some more expensive bottlings to tempt me on future visits. Not cheap, but it didn’t disappoint either.
GEN3

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Alan Rath » March 5th, 2019, 7:49 am

ERPark wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:11 am
Had lunch recently at Mourad. My first time dining there, though I’d been to Aziza back in the day. Flawless cooking, stellar ingredients, solid service and decor that oozes hipness equals a great spot for dates or larger groups. Ordered a bottle of 2016 Mugneret-Gibourg Vogne Romanee that was fairly priced, and noted their wine list had some more expensive bottlings to tempt me on future visits. Not cheap, but it didn’t disappoint either.
We ate at the bar, and really enjoyed it. Need to go back. Didn't explore the wine list, just watched the bartender make cocktails.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

dteng

#167 Post by dteng » March 8th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Anyone been to Quince lately?
Dan

Al Osterheld

#168 Post by Al Osterheld » March 9th, 2019, 9:34 am

I liked Soleil Ho's initial reviews, although she's not going to be a traditional restaurant reviewer.

-Al

John Ammons

#169 Post by John Ammons » March 10th, 2019, 10:28 pm

dteng wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Anyone been to Quince lately?
Was there last May. Loved it.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”