Eating and Drinking in San Francisco 2016

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

#1 Post by Robert Dentice » January 15th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Just back from a week in San Francisco primarily for work; however, I managed to fit in a number of very good meals including a few new places.

I have said many times that San Francisco is giving NYC a run for its money for the best restaurant city in the U.S.

I ate at State Bird twice and it is as good as ever. They have added many new dishes to the menu since my last visit a few months ago. I drank a very cool Cabernet from Enfield from the far out Sonoma Coast.

I also ate at The Progress twice and WOW has it evolved since opening (not that it was not great when it open they have simply taken it to another level). Both meals were outstanding! I could literally eat there every night. I am still thinking about the Uni Guacamole with Tomato Vinaigrette & Rice Crackers and a CA Sturgeon Caviar Potato Cloud. Drank the last bottle of Clemens Busch Felsterrasse GG, I think I have had at least four of them here.

The first new place is in the old Chez Spencer location and is called Izakaya Rintaro. They did a really amazing job with the vibe of the place, it feels authentically Japanese. The food leaned more toward comfort Japanese food but was excellent and the Sake list was small but equally good. I loved everything about it and will be going back soon.

http://izakayarintaro.com

Next up was Astor. This is a partnership between Chef Brett Cooper and Daniel Patterson. It opened last year and received a Michelin star. I love what Chef Cooper was doing at Outerlands and he trained under Chef Brioza (The Progress and State Bird). The food was very good, great ingredients and perfect execution. I will say it lacked a little sizzle for me in the way that The Progress and State Bird wowed me. My dinner guests absolutely loved it.

I also went to lunch at Akikos for Sushi and it was very good. I will be going back.

P. Willenberg

#2 Post by P. Willenberg » January 15th, 2016, 3:45 pm

thanks for the notes!
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

P. Willenberg

#3 Post by P. Willenberg » February 5th, 2016, 10:32 am

they have a tiny but well chosen sake list and the markups aren’t robbery. A $40 retail bottle is $75 on their list for example. Try them in this order:

• The Shichi Hon Yari is a great sake to set your palate. It’s a dry style that pairs well with most food. Ask to see the label. It’s a drawing from like the 1600s.

• Two down from that, the Yuki No Bosha Yamahai takes the earth and mushroom up a big notch. Yamahai style sake emphasize earthy and nutty components and tend to have slightly higher acidity as the lactic acid is produced as part of the fermentation process, not added in as it is with 95% of all sake.

• Below that is the Ten To Chi Heaven and Earth. It is a favorite of mine. It’s brewed from a strain of rice crossed specifically to make Junmai Daiginjo. It should cost twice what it does given the quality. It’s textbook junmai daiginjo, very fruity, lots of aroma. It has a short finish but not as short as most traditional Niigata sake. Niigata is famous for some of the softest water in the world, which informs the brewing process, but I digress.

• Back up to the Tendorigawa Kinka Nama. It’s similar to the Ten to Chi in grade and quality but it is never pasteurized which means it has a big, big nose and a rich, full mouthfeel. Excellent pairing for ikura, for example. You want to make sure it’s left the brewery recently though. So look for 16.1 or 15.12 on the back. That’s the year then the month it left the brewery. Sometimes they use the Heisei year instead of the AD though so it would look like 28.1 or 27.12. I don’t think this importer uses that older system though (it’s the years since change of emperor).

I hope that gets you started.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Webber » February 11th, 2016, 12:42 pm

I will be in SF for 2 nights next month. I have State Bird booked for 1 night and was planning SPQR or Rich Table for the other. The Izakaya was on my short list too after seeing they were hosting a dinner celebrating a cookbook I recently purchased.

The Progress looks great. Would you hit it over SPQR/Rich? So many choices and too little time.

Jay T.

#5 Post by Jay T. » February 11th, 2016, 6:05 pm

All three are great, John. I would personally lean toward SPQR because it's really from the previous generation of restaurants and would provide a contrast to State Bird/Progress/Rich Table, which, while different, all operate in the same idiom, and (2) good pasta is just about my favorite food in the world, and SPQR makes some of the best pasta I've ever had. But you won't go wrong.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Webber » February 12th, 2016, 4:36 am

Thank you, Jay. I think the takeaway for me is I need to get to SF to eat more often. This will only be my second (short) trip to the city. I utilized the airports for Napa and Sonoma many times, but neglected SF.

dteng

#7 Post by dteng » February 12th, 2016, 7:56 am

John,
Rich Table is challenging to get reservations.
However, if you go at opening 5:30, you can often walk in/snag a seat at the dinner bar, full menu.
I have done this three times (once with my ten year old son), never had a prob getting a seat.
I love Rich Table.
Dan

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Golodetz » February 13th, 2016, 3:19 pm

It is proving really hard to find somewhere next Saturday; any suggestions for a really good restaurant, near Campton which we can get in between 6:30 and 8:00 PM?

Thanks
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

P. Willenberg

#9 Post by P. Willenberg » February 13th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:It is proving really hard to find somewhere next Saturday; any suggestions for a really good restaurant, near Campton which we can get in between 6:30 and 8:00 PM?

Thanks
Aikiko
Ame
PABU
kusakabe

oh wait those are all japanese ;)
how about RN74?
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#10 Post by Robert Dentice » February 14th, 2016, 5:24 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:It is proving really hard to find somewhere next Saturday; any suggestions for a really good restaurant, near Campton which we can get in between 6:30 and 8:00 PM?

Thanks
I assumed you tried Campton Place. Are you willing to travel at all and how far.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#11 Post by c fu » February 14th, 2016, 11:27 am

Went to Zuni for lunch before a court hearing last weekend. Had the burger. Also had diarrhea for the rest of the day and the following. But it was a delicious burger. Would recommend the burger 10/10. Would not recommend the diarrhea.

Anyone have lunch recs around the City Hall area?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

P. Willenberg

#12 Post by P. Willenberg » February 14th, 2016, 2:36 pm

It's a good area for Indian
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Leonard Maran

#13 Post by Leonard Maran » February 14th, 2016, 5:47 pm

I've never understood the love for the Zuni burger (these days they have stiff competition too); I just don't want my burger on focaccia and not a fan of shoestring fries. Rich Table is not far from City Hall.

Jay T.

#14 Post by Jay T. » February 15th, 2016, 6:43 am

c fu wrote:Went to Zuni for lunch before a court hearing last weekend. Had the burger. Also had diarrhea for the rest of the day and the following. But it was a delicious burger. Would recommend the burger 10/10. Would not recommend the diarrhea.

Somebody said Indian, but I'm not sure where that's coming from. If he'd said Vietnamese, it would have made more sense -- City Hall is on the edge of what the City has decided to call "Little Saigon."

The area around City Hall has traditionally been terrible for food (and just about everything else). One of the worst areas of the city. The only good restaurants were dinner-only places, largely serving the Symphony/Opera/Ballet crowds. But it's gentrifying rapidly. Twitter moved its headquarters nearby a few years ago, and condos are springing up everywhere.

It's still not a great lunch area, but there are a few good choices, especially if you walk over to Hayes Valley, which isn't far:

Lers Ros -- Best Thai Restaurant in the city. They have a fancier, second location a few blocks away in Hayes Valley; I like the Larkin Street one
Alta CA -- new place from the Coi guy
Absinthe (Hayes Valley). It's been around awhile, but it's one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco. My wife and I have probably eaten there more than any other nice restaurant.
Chez Maman (Hayes Valley) has very tasty burgers.
Boxing Room (Hayes Valley) -- if you like Cajun Creole (which I do)
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#15 Post by c fu » February 15th, 2016, 10:02 am

should have been clearer. I can also travel a little bit. I can uber directly from the airport to the restaurant for lunch. Just don't want the commute from the restaurant to city hall to be longer than 15 minutes though.

Leonard: I looked at Rich table but they don't serve lunch
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jay T.

#16 Post by Jay T. » February 15th, 2016, 10:40 am

With 15 minutes, you can eat at most of the good restaurants in the city. Seriously. It's not as spread out as LA. :)

I stand by my original suggestions, but other lunch favorites within reach include Akiko's (sushi), Amber India (high-end Indian), Sam's Grill (old school classic), Khin Khao (Thai), Cavalier (sort of fancy British Pub), Gaspar (French Bistro, great raw bar), Nopalito (Mexican), and, a bit further afield in the Financial District, a few of my mainstays: Perbacco/Barbacco (Piemontese Italian), Kokkari (Greek), and Piperade (Basque). According to Google Maps, even Piperade is only a 12 minutes car ride away.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by J. Galang » February 16th, 2016, 9:44 am

c fu wrote:Went to Zuni for lunch before a court hearing last weekend. Had the burger. Also had diarrhea for the rest of the day and the following. But it was a delicious burger. Would recommend the burger 10/10. Would not recommend the diarrhea.

Hayes Valley area is not that far also Brenda's Soul Food is close if you like southern cooking.

In Hayes Valley:

- Boxing Room (southern cuisine)
- Chez Maman (french bistro)
- Domo (Japanese)
- Lers Ros (Thai)
- Arlequin cafe and wine merchant is also in the area
Joel Galang

P. Willenberg

#18 Post by P. Willenberg » February 16th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Enjoyed Kin Khao tonight (see my Facebook post in Super Asian Food Friends) but it's probably whiter than pok pok. I can't see a Thai person ever going there. Would rather Ruen Pair in LA or Langbaan in PDX.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Barry L i p t o n

#19 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 16th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Saigon Sandwich
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on March 5th, 2016, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by John Webber » March 4th, 2016, 8:58 am

Staying in Japantown and hitting a show at The Warfield. Any spots recommended for cocktails and/or wine post-dinner/show?

P. Willenberg

#21 Post by P. Willenberg » March 4th, 2016, 9:06 am

Smuggler's Cove, 650 Gough St
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Webber » March 5th, 2016, 10:46 am

P. Willenberg wrote:Smuggler's Cove, 650 Gough St
That works! Thank you.

It looks like we will hit the Farmers Market @ the Ferry Plaza on Tuesday. In reading older threads it appears Slanted Door has significantly declined from our last trip in 2007. Any recommendations for lunch near the Ferry Plaza on Tuesday and pretty much anywhere remotely near Japantown on Wednesday? 1 spot with great dungeness crab and/or cioppino would be a bonus.

I just penciled in PABU for Tuesday. Saigon Sandwich looks good for Wednesday, but doesn't scratch the dungeness/cioppino itch.

p.perret

#23 Post by p.perret » March 5th, 2016, 7:13 pm

"It looks like we will hit the Farmers Market @ the Ferry Plaza on Tuesday. In reading older threads it appears Slanted Door has significantly declined from our last trip in 2007. Any recommendations for lunch near the Ferry Plaza on Tuesday and pretty much anywhere remotely near Japantown on Wednesday? 1 spot with great dungeness crab and/or cioppino would be a bonus."

No local dungeness crab so far this year because State cancelled harvesting due to health hazards (caused by climate change).
paul perret

Leonard Maran

#24 Post by Leonard Maran » March 5th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Boxing Room is supposed to be New Orleans fare, not typically Southern, and like most out here, fails. Chez Maman is fine but I don't know why anyone out of town would go there. Ditto for Arlequin unless it's fine weather, as the backyard is special.
As for the Embarcadero certainly head to La Mar or Coqueta.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Phil Smith » March 6th, 2016, 8:43 am

I've got a short (one night + red eye flight) 2 dinners trip later this week and have Commis and Atelier Crenn booked. Haven't been to either. Any recent visits?

Sarah Kirschbaum

#26 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 6th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Was at Crenn in December and, while not my best meal there ever, it was an absolute delight. The wine list is struggling a bit, I think, but I managed to drink reasonably well without spending a fortune. It remains my favorite high-end restaurant in this country.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Phil Smith » March 6th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Was at Crenn in December and, while not my best meal there ever, it was an absolute delight. The wine list is struggling a bit, I think, but I managed to drink reasonably well without spending a fortune. It remains my favorite high-end restaurant in this country.
One heck of an endorsement and I'm really looking forward to Crenn. So many great options in the Bay Area and a few that I would love to get back to, but also places like these I'd like to try for the first time. I'm not so worried about the wine list as I'll be dining solo; for whatever reason for me that means the food needs to star.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#28 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 6th, 2016, 5:12 pm

I hope you enjoy it. I don't think it's going to appeal to everyone, particularly the I-need-a-big-piece-of-meat crowd. But I do think Dominique is brilliant and she has a deft hand with texture and packing flavor into beautiful, seemingly simple packages that are actually deeply complex. I don't like heavy meals, and realize that skews my preferences in this direction. But I also have a large appetite and I have never left there wanting a pizza. I was also there solo on my last visit, and it didn't impede my enjoyment at all. Please report back!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 6th, 2016, 9:29 pm

A friend invited me to the Ritz Carlton restaurant. The meal was slightly inconsistent in its execution, but at its best, the dishes were the most interesting of the trip.

Sadly that ended up not being the focus of the meal, as some morons brought in their three year old who spent of the meal running round, and screaming at the top of his lungs. It got to the point when it became so disruptive, my friend asked them to control the child, and the wife threatened to hit him, and the husband screamed "it's a public place, we can do what we want." We ended moving to the lounge.

The staff was in a really awkward position; they tried everything they could short of throwing the family out (they were hotel guests) and the child finally quieted down.
ITB
I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong.

Taylor Broussard

#30 Post by Taylor Broussard » March 7th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Will be in the bay area for the day this Friday. Any particular recommendations for lunch in either San Francisco or Berkeley? Thinking more western cuisine rather than Thai (which I adore) or sushi. A nice and/or eclectic wine list is a big plus.

Much appreciated.

P. Willenberg

#31 Post by P. Willenberg » March 8th, 2016, 6:20 am

No nice wine list but I'd do lunch at Swan's Oyster Depot for lunch on a weekday.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Phil Smith » March 8th, 2016, 7:00 am

Taylor Broussard wrote:Will be in the bay area for the day this Friday. Any particular recommendations for lunch in either San Francisco or Berkeley? Thinking more western cuisine rather than Thai (which I adore) or sushi. A nice and/or eclectic wine list is a big plus.

Much appreciated.
If you're in Berkeley you've got the cafe at Chez Panisse. Sort of a pilgrimage spot and it fits your description well. Dopo is also open for Lunch. Tons of options in SF, of course. A16 (haven't been there in a couple of years), RN74 is open for lunch, Swan, dim sum options, wander the Ferry Plaza Building...

Jay T.

#33 Post by Jay T. » March 8th, 2016, 9:59 am

Tons of lunch options in SF. Most places are open for lunch in fact. I was there two weeks ago and had great lunches at Aquitaine (newish French wine bistro focused on Southwestern French wine and cuisine -- think Cassoulet), Barbacco (together with Perbacco next door, my favorite lunch spot in the City), Wayfare Tavern, and Piperade (truly fantastic Basque place with great wine list).

I personally dislike Swan Oyster Depot. Ever since Anthony Bourdain went there, it's a line of tourists down the street, and the hype kind of diminishes the whole ethos of the place, which is supposed to be "nothing fancy."
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Taylor Broussard

#34 Post by Taylor Broussard » March 8th, 2016, 11:01 am

Checked out the menus of Barbacco and Piperade Jay, these look really interesting. The wine list for Piperade looks intriguing too, particularly since I love Txakolina and enjoyed the one bottle Irouleguy I've had (Illaria). ...but of those items on Barbacco look fantastic.

ERPark

#35 Post by ERPark » March 8th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Having eaten at Swan Oyster Depot a number of times before Bourdain dined there, I can confirm there were always lines to get in for most of the day. It's just too tiny, and too many locals and tourists were already aware of it before Roland Passot took Bourdain there.

Seafod is really good @ SOD, but the tariff is steep........
GEN3

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Phil Smith » March 12th, 2016, 6:58 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:I hope you enjoy it. I don't think it's going to appeal to everyone, particularly the I-need-a-big-piece-of-meat crowd. But I do think Dominique is brilliant and she has a deft hand with texture and packing flavor into beautiful, seemingly simple packages that are actually deeply complex. I don't like heavy meals, and realize that skews my preferences in this direction. But I also have a large appetite and I have never left there wanting a pizza. I was also there solo on my last visit, and it didn't impede my enjoyment at all. Please report back!
I really enjoyed Crenn. No single mind-blowing dish, but a very thoughtful progression of courses that really highlight her technical and compositional skills. Pretty liberal and visible use of high-priced ingredients (caviar, abalone, truffle); I'm not sure whether this drives the cost or is intended to justify it. I'd certainly go back.

I almost always avoid high-priced wine pairings because I so rarely find value there (IIRC Crenn's is $200-300). I ended up joining up with a friend for dinner, so we BYO'ed, but if the bottles on the table were reflective of the pairings ('94 LdH Tondonia, Egon Muller) then I might go that direction on another visit.

I liked Commis quite a bit too, and at ~$200 with (very well done) pairings found it a pretty solid deal for high-level dining. Definitely less technical than Crenn, but well executed.

If I look at top places in the U.S. there's a pretty clear signature, almost by definition (i.e., to be differentiated as a top place you have to be doing something singular at a high level). If served a meal blind from Saison, Minibar or E, Willows, Alinea, some NY places, or even Keller's restaurants, I think I could figure it out. Crenn has that, Commis doesn't.

Barry L i p t o n

#37 Post by Barry L i p t o n » March 12th, 2016, 8:28 am

Taylor Broussard wrote:Checked out the menus of Barbacco and Piperade Jay, these look really interesting. The wine list for Piperade looks intriguing too, particularly since I love Txakolina and enjoyed the one bottle Irouleguy I've had (Illaria). ...but of those items on Barbacco look fantastic.
Barbacco if looking for a lower price point, Perbacco is a clear step or two up. They share a common kitchen.

Robert Dentice

#38 Post by Robert Dentice » March 24th, 2016, 4:08 am

Just back from a quick San Francisco trip:

State Bird was awesome as usual

Commonwealth - Outstanding, really blew my mind, my best meal there by far. Chef Fox was not in the kitchen. I don't know who was in the kitchen although our server mentioned he worked at Atelier Crenn. Can't wait to go back!

Mikkeller San Francisco - I did not know the place existed and its been open for two years. Beautiful design and awesome tap and bottle list,

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#39 Post by c fu » March 24th, 2016, 11:37 am

Robert Dentice wrote:Just back from a quick San Francisco trip:

State Bird was awesome as usual

Commonwealth - Outstanding, really blew my mind, my best meal there by far. Chef Fox was not in the kitchen. I don't know who was in the kitchen although our server mentioned he worked at Atelier Crenn. Can't wait to go back!

Mikkeller San Francisco - I did not know the place existed and its been open for two years. Beautiful design and awesome tap and bottle list,
they are opening a mikeller bar a few blocks from my office in DTLA. Supposed to be 7500+sq ft. Late 2016. Looking forward to it
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 24th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Mikkeller is fun but SF has so many great local beer options.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#41 Post by c fu » March 24th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Mikkeller is fun but SF has so many great local beer options.
CELLARRRMAKKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

had some real fantastic stuff there last month
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 24th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Not too hoppy Fu? I have heard it's hophead central.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#43 Post by c fu » March 24th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Not too hoppy Fu? I have heard it's hophead central.
it is hoppy but they make balanced stuff. Not big, hoppy and out of control. Try it you'd enjoy it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

John Draper

#44 Post by John Draper » May 18th, 2016, 11:46 am

a BIG thank you to Robert, Jay, Paul, Charlie and all of the other contributors in this thread. I just returned from a long weekend in San Francisco. Kicked things off with dinner at The Progress, lively space, great service, and food to match; loved the cavatelli with artichoke and bone marrow and the octopus was strong also.
Lunch the next day was a porchetta sandwich from RoliRoti food truck, beers at Cellarmaker, and dinner that night at Piperade; a little old(er) school but very well executed food, squid appetizer was best in show that night. Lunch at Slanted Door, pasta Sunday night at the chef's counter at SPQR. Good khao soi from Kin Khao for lunch on Monday and omakase at Akiko's Monday night; righteous.

I'm full. just having fruit and an egg for lunch today
liberstein

F.Daner

#45 Post by F.Daner » May 19th, 2016, 8:15 am

In town for a quick day at the end of a business trip.

Going to Perbacco tonight for dinner. Still need to nail down lunch.

Anyone local going to the West of the West wine event tonight ?
Fred

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by G. Keeler » June 26th, 2016, 7:15 am

Just got back from 5 days in SF.

Cotogna - Agnolotti a bit salty but texture was spot on. Grilled lamb main was really nice.
Perbacco - Shared octopus main and 3 pastas. All very good.
Akiko's - Went for lunch and had a great time. Competes well with some of the better spots in SoCal. Nice selection flown in from Japan.
Benu - Impressed for sure. Nice change of pace compared to the classic French 3*. Interesting flavors without feeling heavy. Did the beverage pairing and happy that we did. Sake, sour beer, Riesling, gruner, burg, etc. All of my favorite things.
Slated door - nice stop for lunch at the ferry building. Soup, fresh seafood, gruner, etc.
The Progress - Loved the way they put food together here. Interesting flavors and great texture. Hipster but nice wine list and good cocktails.
Trou Normand - Very nice cocktails and charcuterie. Didn't eat dinner but the food coming out of the kitchen looked good.
Craftsman and Wolves for pastry and coffee was solid.

Fun trip
G L E N N

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by alan weinberg » June 26th, 2016, 10:53 am

got Saison and Quince on deck for next weekend. S. Door for a lunch, probably. Stoked.

Michael S. Monie

#48 Post by Michael S. Monie » June 26th, 2016, 3:39 pm

It was actually late 2015 but we had a wonderful meal at Acquerello. Has this place become passé with the locals?
Fly on, Little Wing.

Jay T.

#49 Post by Jay T. » June 27th, 2016, 6:54 am

Michael S. Monie wrote:It was actually late 2015 but we had a wonderful meal at Acquerello. Has this place become passé with the locals?
I think the opposite. A beloved restaurant among locals. It has many regulars. Best Italian wine selection and service in the city. Still highly regarded by the local critics. Still fully booked most nights. But it's white tablecloth, and it's not cutting edge for the most part, so it's not a destination for the younger set of food tourists (i.e. the kind of people who participate on Chowhound).
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#50 Post by Joe Chanley » June 27th, 2016, 12:00 pm

in SF for the night unexpectedly.....where would you recommend for sushi (either last minute reservation or easy enough for walk-in party of 2)? was thinking ichi or ozumo. akiko's looks booked....

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”