Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#801 Post by SeanHarding » June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I REALLY like Taco Maria, but at the same time, I have always thought it somewhat overrated, first by Jonathan Gold, and now by Michelin.

J. Rock

#802 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Some interesting choices for the stars. Taco Maria with a star? I really like it there and have been going regularly from the start but don't see how it's 1 star and a place like Majordomo is not. Also was just up in SF and went to Al's Place which has a star. Good food in an extremely casual (which I liked) environment. Again, if Al's Place is one star, Marjordomo, Bavel, etc should all have a star.
I agree that their ratings, especially at the 1 star (and no star) level seem very, very inconsistent.
J o r d a n

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#803 Post by G. Keeler » June 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm
I REALLY like Taco Maria, but at the same time, I have always thought it somewhat overrated, first by Jonathan Gold, and now by Michelin.
Same. While I always enjoy it, I think if they mixed up their pre-fix menu more they could take it to the next level. I feel like the past 4-5 times I've had a very similar menu which is now a bit tired.
G L E N N

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#804 Post by c fu » June 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:34 am
In NYC Michelin Stars have almost zero impact on a restaurants success. Starred restaurants close all of the time. A small restaurant I frequent told me they get far more business from a 2 minute video that eater did and my instagram posts than from their Michelin star. Another small 1 star that closed said the lack of NY Times review killed them and the star helped very little.

As for the LA Stars it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest omission is Yamakase.

Also I think Majordomo deserved a star.
I was talking to Richard today @MD and they didn't think they'd get a star because the restaurant is too big and too casual. They strive for excellent service (which they give) and were hoping that'd push them over the top, but it seems Michelin just flat out ignored all of the "casual fine family style" dining that has made LA important in the dining scene (other than Rustic canyon which has to be a nod to Fox) like Republique, Bestia, Bavel, Domo etc.

Like Fred said, they seem to have a template they are following. Tasting menus are of the upmost importance or be japanese food (and one against Rustic Canyon stands out for being neither & CUT/Bistro Na).

It doesn't seem like Michelin has had an immediate impact. Kato still has wide open reservations, same as Taco Maria, Maude, Le Comptoir etc etc.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

J. Rock

#805 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Do you guys think Cut is better than Spago? I think Cut is an exceptional steakhouse, but I think Spago (the tasting menu) offers a much better dining experience.
J o r d a n

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#806 Post by c fu » June 4th, 2019, 10:02 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Do you guys think Cut is better than Spago? I think Cut is an exceptional steakhouse, but I think Spago (the tasting menu) offers a much better dining experience.
I think Cut is a great steakhouse but I think Spago is a shell of its former self. Not sure why Cut gets a star and I'm totally fine with Spago having none. If food alone, i'd rather eat at Cut than Spago any day of the week.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#807 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 5th, 2019, 12:05 am

Maude has wide-open reservations?!? Damn. I've been wanting to go there for awhile ---- just haven't made the time. Sounds like now is as good a time as ever. Anyone know their corkage policy offhand?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

J. Rock

#808 Post by J. Rock » June 5th, 2019, 12:52 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:05 am
Maude has wide-open reservations?!? Damn. I've been wanting to go there for awhile ---- just haven't made the time. Sounds like now is as good a time as ever. Anyone know their corkage policy offhand?
I was just there for their Sonoma menu. Free corkage if you bring a bottle from the region that the menu is inspired by (not sure on the limit). I thought it was very good (and probably the best duck I've had [which says a lot]), but I generally found it to be less exciting and excellent that other tasting menus in town (although, maybe I'd like another one of their menus more).
J o r d a n

Robert Dentice

#809 Post by Robert Dentice » June 5th, 2019, 2:09 am

c fu wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm

It doesn't seem like Michelin has had an immediate impact. Kato still has wide open reservations, same as Taco Maria, Maude, Le Comptoir etc etc.
And I am sure Bavel is still packed!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#810 Post by M.Kaplan » June 5th, 2019, 9:45 am

And Felix still sells out 30 days in advance.

I agree generally with Andy Wang's point of view: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/los-an ... t-reaction
---Mark

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#811 Post by c fu » June 5th, 2019, 11:01 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:45 am
And Felix still sells out 30 days in advance.

I agree generally with Andy Wang's point of view: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/los-an ... t-reaction
I disagree with his point that there should be a starred mexican, korean, thai restaurant just because we have a large hub for it here.

The worst thing michelin did was provide separate standards for Southeast Asia compared to the rest of the world. They gave hawker stands, casual places Michelin stars purely for shock value. So people in LA expected that the great casual hawker like places we have would hopefully get anointed as well.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

johngonzales

#812 Post by johngonzales » June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Maybe Michelin got screwed by Feliz like we did. Played their month ahead reservation game for a group dinner on a friend's Saturday birthday. They canceled on us via voicemail the night before the reservation leaving us to try and scramble for another plan. No offer of a guarantee on another day, a comp, follow-up call, NADA. They won't answer their phone or email so I couldn't even let them know my displeasure.

I think the list is ok, and not a surprise. Michelin isn't going to use a different formula for L.A. , and shouldn't. It is what it is and usable when knowing their sweetspot.
I thought L.A. might get a three-star. Most likely being N/naka, or Urasawa. Especially with their real bias for Japanese food.
I love Providence. Been there 15 times. It totally deserves to be up there with the twos. Especially with the bias toward wine/service and "pure" foods.
I don't love Psago, but it''s still a one.
Really, my biggest complaint is that they didn't view our strengths and give more Bibs for ethnic stuff.

julianseersmartin

#813 Post by julianseersmartin » June 6th, 2019, 9:02 am

johngonzales wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Maybe Michelin got screwed by Feliz like we did. Played their month ahead reservation game for a group dinner on a friend's Saturday birthday. They canceled on us via voicemail the night before the reservation leaving us to try and scramble for another plan. No offer of a guarantee on another day, a comp, follow-up call, NADA. They won't answer their phone or email so I couldn't even let them know my displeasure.
That is truly awful on their part.

johngonzales

#814 Post by johngonzales » June 6th, 2019, 10:31 am

julianseersmartin wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:02 am
johngonzales wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm
That is truly awful on their part.
Most likely bumped for some celebrity.

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#815 Post by p@ulbortin » June 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm
This. Left there wondering about the hype and not really worth the long commute.

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#816 Post by p@ulbortin » June 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Kass - good for corkage wine dinners.

Alta - I really liked everything we tried here even if the ridiculously stingy fried chicken was way too expensive it had great flavor. Loved the Ox Tail.

Slab - generous meaty ribs marred by the cloyingly sweet sauce that it is bbqed with. The key here is to manage the side sauces to balance out the sweetness.

Adam G

#817 Post by Adam G » June 9th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Had dinner at BOA in Santa Monica last night. Steaks are still excellent. Corkage is less than I remember - $25. All the other stuff we had was also great except the morel sauce for steak (a sweet and sticky mess) and the Brussels sprouts were not my thing (not charred, and remained kind of bitter).
A. Gr0ssm@n

johngonzales

#818 Post by johngonzales » June 10th, 2019, 8:58 am

I really liked Kass. It’s not a typical wine bar, and more restaurant. The menu is more like a standard menu, with not just small snacks things, but some basic entrees. The wine list is decent, corkage reasonable and friendly, and the somm gave us excellent wine service.

We go to Alta quite a bit. Where we live (Baldwin Hills) is a food desert locally. So Alta is a welcome addition within 2 miles. It’s not particularly inventive, and not what I would consider excellent+, but it’s really solid. The oxtails, macncheese, fresh fish of the day, chickpea fritters, and coconut cake are all really good. As posted, the fried chicken is pricey, but it is quite good.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”