Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Justin S

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#751 Post by Justin S » March 18th, 2019, 11:40 am

Any intel on this brand new spot Auburn?
https://www.auburnla.com/menu
$ ! n g h

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#752 Post by c fu » March 18th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Simone chef left already.
for someone with the pedigree she had, the restaurant was shockingly unimpressive.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#753 Post by c fu » March 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm

fred o. wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 11:51 pm
The cassoulet at Lucques was very enjoyable, and they have a very good bar program.

Kass, by Christophe Eme (formerly had a restaurant called Ortolan), in mid city, was a great experience. Quiet and comfortable atmosphere, friendly service, and an open kitchen where the chef and his staff are clearly visible working very hard, and open to interaction with guests. The food is classic French in technique but lighter, less creamy sauces/foams than Melisse for example. Very wine friendly fare. Their wine list is a very well curated 2 pages, all interesting small producers (they don’t have a website). Corkage $35 per for the first two, and then $50 after. Highly recommend it for people on this board.

Had a great experience checking out Dopolavoro, the small wine/food market next to Terroni in dtla. Some amazing canned goods, cheeses, etc., that look directly imported from Europe. The wine selection was shockingly good, ranging from Burg to Eben Sadie, Loire and German, with select Cali producers like Folk Machine, Pax, Arnot Roberts. I was curious and looked it up after, and it looks like it’s overseen by Max Stefanelli from Terroni. Either way, a fun visit, especially if you do it after visiting La Tropézienne around the corner for baguettes/croissants and pastries.
I wonder why he decided to call it a wine bar.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

julianseersmartin

#754 Post by julianseersmartin » March 18th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Native in Santa Monica is closed as of yesterday.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#755 Post by M.Kaplan » March 18th, 2019, 6:11 pm

julianseersmartin wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 1:48 pm
This saddens me. I like Nyesha and her cooking. That space is very inefficient and will likely lead to the demise of whatever restaurant moves into it. I hope she re-emerges somewhere on the westside with whatever she decides to do next.
---Mark

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#756 Post by c fu » March 19th, 2019, 12:29 am

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/simone ... departure/

interesting comments from unnamed employees. Only merely glancing over the fact that the food was not even passably good.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#757 Post by fred o. » March 19th, 2019, 1:22 am

c fu wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm
fred o. wrote:
Kass, by Christophe Eme (formerly had a restaurant called Ortolan), in mid city, was a great experience. Quiet and comfortable atmosphere, friendly service, and an open kitchen where the chef and his staff are clearly visible working very hard, and open to interaction with guests. The food is classic French in technique but lighter, less creamy sauces/foams than Melisse for example. Very wine friendly fare. Their wine list is a very well curated 2 pages, all interesting small producers (they don’t have a website). Corkage $35 per for the first two, and then $50 after. Highly recommend it for people on this board.
it's wine bar & restaurant

https://www.instagram.com/chefeme/

The bar itself looked like a good place to just drop in and have some of the by the glass options with the food. Overall definitely a more seriously food-oriented destination than a pure wine bar like Tabula Rasa in LA, but I enjoyed perusing the wine list since it was thoughtfully chosen. Also, I misspoke -- including the btg list, at least 6 pages, but either way, semantics...

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#758 Post by c fu » March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am

fred o. wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 1:22 am
c fu wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm
fred o. wrote:
it's wine bar & restaurant

https://www.instagram.com/chefeme/

The bar itself looked like a good place to just drop in and have some of the by the glass options with the food. Overall definitely a more seriously food-oriented destination than a pure wine bar like Tabula Rasa in LA, but I enjoyed perusing the wine list since it was thoughtfully chosen. Also, I misspoke -- including the btg list, at least 6 pages, but either way, semantics...
Looks like a restaurant bar at a nice restaurant. Feel like naming it a wine bar detracts from its serious food destination.

But maybe that’s what they are going for. Shrug.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#759 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 19th, 2019, 1:58 pm

c fu wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 12:29 am
https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/simone ... departure/

interesting comments from unnamed employees. Only merely glancing over the fact that the food was not even passably good.
Oy vey. That's a rough article.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Justin S

#760 Post by Justin S » March 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm

c fu wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:44 am

Looks like a restaurant bar at a nice restaurant. Feel like naming it a wine bar detracts from its serious food destination.

But maybe that’s what they are going for. Shrug.
Apparently, the name of "Kass Wine Bar + Restaurant" was to differentiate the place from his more serious prior restaurant. Kass didn't feel like a wine bar to me, especially since the food items are more like dishes than snacks, but the aspiration is supposedly to have a more casual neighborhood joint. Seems too pricey for that. Regardless, the food is really good!

The one I laughed at is Dominique Crenn's alleged wine bar in SF (Bar Crenn) that probably costs $100-200 to eat there, but apparently has totally impractical seating in some spots (like a couch and cocktail table).
$ ! n g h

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#761 Post by Marshall Gelb » April 7th, 2019, 6:57 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 6:11 pm
julianseersmartin wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 1:48 pm
This saddens me. I like Nyesha and her cooking. That space is very inefficient and will likely lead to the demise of whatever restaurant moves into it. I hope she re-emerges somewhere on the westside with whatever she decides to do next.
Me as well....I really enjoyed our "Winos" dinner there. I really meant to return but sometimes even the best of intentions go awry. Hopefully , Nyesha emerges in a a better situation. That woman can cook!

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#762 Post by c fu » April 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

I went to Auburn this week.

Great service. Private room is amazing - feels like you're in a living room. Food visually is impressive, the plating is great.

Flavor wise.. i wish it popped and sometimes the flavors kinda conflict.

One example

There's a hamachi crudo dish with celery and strawberry. THe strawberries were (purposely?) underripe and the oil was a celery oil with a high amount of citric acid, so the dish was really mouth puckering sour.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Benny P

#763 Post by Benny P » April 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm

c fu wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

Great service. Private room is amazing - feels like you're in a living room. Food visually is impressive, the plating is great.

One example

There's a hamachi crudo dish with celery and strawberry. THe strawberries were (purposely?) underripe and the oil was a celery oil with a high amount of citric acid, so the dish was really mouth puckering sour.
I've had this on my to-do list since it opened and thank you for your thoughts. Did you do the 4, 6, or 9 course meal option? I typically always want to get the larger number of courses, however, my wife always advocates the lower number of courses so curious on their portion sizing.

Also, do you know if they had a corkage fee? Thanks!
Ben P@scu@l

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#764 Post by c fu » April 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Benny P wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
c fu wrote:

One example

I've had this on my to-do list since it opened and thank you for your thoughts. Did you do the 4, 6, or 9 course meal option? I typically always want to get the larger number of courses, however, my wife always advocates the lower number of courses so curious on their portion sizing.

Also, do you know if they had a corkage fee? Thanks!
9. But the table doesn’t have to commit to the same thing which I found interesting. Some portions are much larger, like the asparagus and razor clams was a fairly substantial dish, same as the turnip and bonito. Others were pretty small.

It’s a grid of 12 dishes and you can mix and match. So you and your wife can do 2 6 courses and get every dish.

I believe corkage is $50 btl.

We did the 9. Before tip and after tax our bill was $245.

I don’t believe they charged us for every bottle opened which was nice of them.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#765 Post by G. Keeler » May 13th, 2019, 8:52 am

Made it out to Majordomo this past weekend. We did the bing with spicy lamb, egg & smoked roe and a foie mouse which was all very good. Also tried the diver scallops, potato salsa seca, snap peas, fried cauliflower and ended with the big short rib. I liked everything except the scallops which just needed to be seasoned. The crispy potato salsa seca was the surprise hit, so freaking good. The short rib was cooked perfectly and the beef rice that came after was a winner. Looking forward to trying more items on the menu. Food and wine service were both very good. We brought a champ and a red burg and bought a Riesling off the list. All good matches with the food.

Next morning we went to Sun Nong Dan again for some comfort food and it did not disappoint. Love that place.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#766 Post by Robert Dentice » May 20th, 2019, 7:13 am

Ok LA denizens need Japanese recommendations for lunch this upcoming Friday (5/24). I usually go to Sushi Gen.

Food quality is of utmost importance, corkage a very big plus, somewhat close to downtown would be an added plus but not necessary.

G. Greenbaum

#767 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 20th, 2019, 7:35 am

There's an excellent Izakaya in Echo Park www.tsubakila.com. They have a very good collection of Sake, so not sure of the corkage policy, though I'm sure byob is likely.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Robert Dentice

#768 Post by Robert Dentice » May 20th, 2019, 8:31 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:35 am
There's an excellent Izakaya in Echo Park www.tsubakila.com. They have a very good collection of Sake, so not sure of the corkage policy, though I'm sure byob is likely.
Thanks I have been there. Unfortunately, they are not open for lunch. I do plan to hit their new Sake bar Ototo which officially opens on Wed.

Robert Dentice

#769 Post by Robert Dentice » May 20th, 2019, 8:32 am

The Chef at Triniti and Kensho has left! Absolute bummer as I love what he was doing at Triniti and look forward to going to Kensho.

https://la.eater.com/2019/5/13/18618039 ... h-geiskopf

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#770 Post by Nowell Karten » May 21st, 2019, 12:15 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:13 am
Ok LA denizens need Japanese recommendations for lunch this upcoming Friday (5/24). I usually go to Sushi Gen.

Food quality is of utmost importance, corkage a very big plus, somewhat close to downtown would be an added plus but not necessary.
I don't know their corkage-policy, but would Q Sushi meet your needs?
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Robert Dentice

#771 Post by Robert Dentice » May 21st, 2019, 5:28 am

Nowell Karten wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 12:15 am
Robert Dentice wrote:

I don't know their corkage-policy, but would Q Sushi meet your needs?
Great suggestion. Thank you. I just made a reservation. Will report back.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#772 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 22nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

I've heard Q Sushi is incredible. Cant wait to hear about your experience, Robert.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Justin S

#773 Post by Justin S » May 23rd, 2019, 11:20 am

Robert Dentice wrote:

For next time, you can also try Hayato's bento box. You have to pick it up in ROW DTLA and cannot eat inside the restaurant, but that essentially means corkage is free.
$ ! n g h

Robert Dentice

#774 Post by Robert Dentice » May 25th, 2019, 7:20 am

Q Sushi was very good. I would go back. One thing I would note is that after adding a few extra pieces I was still very hungry after the larger menu ($125) and my wife was is a light eater need to add extra pieces to smaller menu ($75). This could just be for lunch. Overall I liked it very much. We ordered a nice Sake from their list and I forgot to as about Corkage.

I am dying to try Hayato both the Bento and the restaurant.

Stopped by Kensho, it is a very special location. It is probably best for a coffee or glass of Natural wine. They are really not equipped to serve food and the menu has just 4 very small options. I heard they will be opening a Sake and Japanese whiskey lounge above the main floor.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#775 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 25th, 2019, 9:48 am

Thanks for the report, Robert. Glad to hear it was good!

G. Greenbaum

#776 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 25th, 2019, 6:19 pm

I hear good things about Sushi Note in Sherman Oaks. Associated with Augustine. I have not been yet, but curious if anyone has. My brother and parents are in the valley and our go to has been Okumura.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Robert Dentice

#777 Post by Robert Dentice » May 28th, 2019, 7:43 am

A few more LA notes.

Saturday lunch at Majordomo was great. Much smaller menu with a few lunch only items.

I had dinner at Auburn on Saturday. Absolutely stunning place. I really liked the food and will go back. We did corkage, not sure what they charged. The list is small but had a few things I would be happy to drink, no higher-end bottles. We ordered a 2000 Kalin Cellars that was only $100 that was beautiful.

https://www.auburnla.com/

https://la.eater.com/2019/3/14/18264811 ... ine-dining

Lunch on Sunday at Robertas was very good. The place was packed at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. Mostly Natural wine list with many producers I like.

Justin S

#778 Post by Justin S » May 28th, 2019, 11:26 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
I really liked the food and will go back. We did corkage, not sure what they charged. The list is small but had a few things I would be happy to drink, no higher-end bottles.
I recall that corkage is $50/bottle. That may not stop people with high-end bottles, but my sense is that Auburn is trying to push their wine pairings, which are reasonably priced.
$ ! n g h

Robert Dentice

#779 Post by Robert Dentice » May 28th, 2019, 11:51 am

Justin S wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 11:26 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:43 am
I really liked the food and will go back. We did corkage, not sure what they charged. The list is small but had a few things I would be happy to drink, no higher-end bottles.
I recall that corkage is $50/bottle. That may not stop people with high-end bottles, but my sense is that Auburn is trying to push their wine pairings, which are reasonably priced.
I would say for the quality of food and the type of place $50 is not bad.

Robert Dentice

#780 Post by Robert Dentice » May 29th, 2019, 3:30 am

c fu wrote:

One example

I just saw this. I did like Auburn but agree with you. The pea dish at the beginning of the meal looked stunning but did not pop like I thought it should with fresh peas. I felt the same about Trois Mec where I tasted no simple fresh ingredients most dishes seemed unbalanced with both hot and sweet flavors with no simple pure flavors. This is a major difference between restaurants in LA and San Francisco.

johngonzales

#781 Post by johngonzales » May 29th, 2019, 11:08 am

Anyone try L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele yet?

Robert Dentice

#782 Post by Robert Dentice » May 30th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Michelin BIB Gourmands:

https://la.eater.com/2019/5/28/18642988 ... ounty-2019

Some notable omissions to me are Destroyer, Konbi and Kinjiro.

It will be interesting to see the full star rankings for LA.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#783 Post by c fu » May 31st, 2019, 10:15 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Michelin BIB Gourmands:

Very interesting to see the full star rankings.

Wouldn't make a ton of sense to give a star to places like Animal, Bavel, Bestia and not give one to Majordomo. But maybe they are just gonna not give out stars like candy.

Few more days!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#784 Post by Robert Dentice » May 31st, 2019, 10:51 am

c fu wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 10:15 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Michelin BIB Gourmands:

Very interesting to see the full star rankings.

Wouldn't make a ton of sense to give a star to places like Animal, Bavel, Bestia and not give one to Majordomo. But maybe they are just gonna not give out stars like candy.

Few more days!
It will be a joke if Animal and Bestia get a star and Majordomo did not. I have not been to Bavel. I don't even think Trois Mec deserves a star.

saul_cooperstein

#785 Post by saul_cooperstein » May 31st, 2019, 7:25 pm

Fu. What do you think over/under for total stars for LA? 40? 45? 50? Also, do you think anyone gets ***?

Robert Dentice

#786 Post by Robert Dentice » June 1st, 2019, 4:29 am

saul_cooperstein wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 7:25 pm
Fu. What do you think over/under for total stars for LA? 40? 45? 50? Also, do you think anyone gets ***?
Not Fu but my money is on Urasawa for three stars.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#787 Post by c fu » June 1st, 2019, 9:01 pm

saul_cooperstein wrote:
If I had to guess one single *** it’d be vespertine. They go gaga for that type.

I was thinking somewhere around 15-20or so *.
I think I’m either gonna be spot on or really off and they’ll end up giving 30 * stars. Just every popular place that wasn’t on bib will get it.
(Which seems like a lot) then 5-6 ** (originally guessed 8 but couldn’t come up with 8). Then 2 *** (my guesses are nnaka and vespertine)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#788 Post by c fu » June 1st, 2019, 9:03 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 4:29 am
saul_cooperstein wrote:
Not Fu but my money is on Urasawa for three stars.
I wonder two things

1) did they get a reservation this time
2) it got 2 stars years ago and is the same exact restaurant now. Wonder what will give it the bump other than it should have gotten it to begin with.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#789 Post by Robert Dentice » June 2nd, 2019, 5:15 am

c fu wrote:
June 1st, 2019, 9:01 pm
saul_cooperstein wrote:
If I had to guess one single *** it’d be vespertine. They go gaga for that type.

I was thinking somewhere around 15-20or so *.
I think I’m either gonna be spot on or really off and they’ll end up giving 30 * stars. Just every popular place that wasn’t on bib will get it.
(Which seems like a lot) then 5-6 ** (originally guessed 8 but couldn’t come up with 8). Then 2 *** (my guesses are nnaka and vespertine)
I agree on Vespertine and N/Naka. I have not been for years but Providence is also a possibility.

The one I am really curious about is Yamakase. Michelin loves luxury ingredients - caviar, truffles, waygu, etc. However they also value service and the environment.

Here is a my list of ** and *** contenders (these are my guesses not my rankings):

N/Naka
Providence
Rogue Experience
Somni
Trois Mec
Vespertine
Urusawa
Yamakase

saul_cooperstein

#790 Post by saul_cooperstein » June 3rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

Looks like 6 x ** for LA

Vespertine
Somni
Urasawa
Providence
N/naka
Ginza onodera

saul_cooperstein

#791 Post by saul_cooperstein » June 3rd, 2019, 7:09 pm

18 x *

So Fu hit the 30* total exact. Wow

J. Rock

#792 Post by J. Rock » June 3rd, 2019, 9:21 pm

I feel like they just gave some stars by pulling names out of a hat at random. How are Rustic Canyon and Dialogue on the same level (1 star)? Rustic Canyon is very good, but I'm shocked it is being regarded on the same level as Dialogue and even Maude. I'm surprised Spago and Scratch didn't make the cut.
J o r d a n

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#793 Post by c fu » June 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 9:21 pm
I feel like they just gave some stars by pulling names out of a hat at random. How are Rustic Canyon and Dialogue on the same level (1 star)? Rustic Canyon is very good, but I'm shocked it is being regarded on the same level as Dialogue and even Maude. I'm surprised Spago and Scratch didn't make the cut.
Shitbumi got a star which is ridiculous. The fetish for japanese food by Michelin is almost as bad as the French food fetish. Mori, Q, Shin, Shunji, Hanare, Nozawa Bar, Urasawa, Sushi Ginza Onodera. They basically just gave our stars to every good sushi spot in LA. Might as well give it to Tsujita and Zo while they were at it.

RE: Rustic Canyon got it, maybe a nod to Jeremy fox? Cause if Rustic Canyon gets it, the whole vein of similar restaurants like Republique should have also gotten a nod. So it's a little puzzling, but i've only been once and it was a goodmeal.

But I don't think Dialogue or Maude are 2 star restaurants, so the band within 1 star is pretty large. I generally think they got the restaurants right outside of Shabumi and Bistro Na.

Nothing in LA really deserves three stars but I think that's perfectly fine.

Personally I'm just glad they didn't hand out stars like Candy to Bestia, Bavel, Felix etc. All fine places I love to eat at, but not 1 star quality.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#794 Post by M.Kaplan » June 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm

I pay more attention (but not all that much) to Michelin in Europe. They aren't relevant in LA and continue not to understand the dining scene here.

Providence is the most overrated restaurant in LA; it has an easier path to retaining that title now that Melisse closed.

The Michelin ratings will have zero impact on where I eat in LA this year.
---Mark

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#795 Post by fred o. » June 4th, 2019, 12:38 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm
...They aren't relevant in LA and continue not to understand the dining scene here...The Michelin ratings will have zero impact on where I eat in LA this year.
I agree that Michelin doesn't understand the dining scene in LA, but I disagree with your viewpoint that they aren't relevant here, and hence I wish their ratings had less of an impact on where a lot of people will eat in LA, though I fear that the impact will be significant. I can already imagine how many chefs who missed out on any recognition, or didn't get the numbers of stars they may feel they deserve, will adjust their restaurant strategy accordingly in the years to come, in both good and bad ways for the health and diversity of LA's dining scene overall. You can argue all day whether Michelin's ratings and their influence are good or bad, but the influence is undeniable.

I personally am trying to see the merits of Michelin's approach, and I do think some of what it represents (consistency, technique, culinary creativity) can be valuable in making LA a stronger dining city. However, the homogeneity of what they reward with their highest star rankings is a bit dispiriting, and I wonder how a restaurant can strive to be both Michelin 3 star (or even, in many cases, 1 star, or whatever the fixed Michelin category) and still remain authentically LA, and represent the way the vast majority of LA people eat.

Jonathan Gold and Majordomo are two things that strike me most in the tension between Michelin and LA. Jonathan Gold indisputably understood LA's food scene to a degree that no one else has, and he wielded his considerable power to empower those restaurants that guides like Michelin have neglected, because he recognized that they were important and vital and needed that voice. He gave a mixed review of Majordomo in its early days, but aside from the "inside baseball" that David Chang described, I keep wondering why, since I've gone back multiple times and really enjoyed it. It's simplistic, but I'm feeling more now that JG understood where DC was going with Majordomo -- the restaurant is a calculated and brilliant mix of both LA themes and Momofuku tropes, but it's a bit *too* calculated, a bit *too* self consciously casual. It's excellent enough to get at least some of the recognition from Michelin that it deserves, but it also fits the tweener/in-between-stage that places like Bestia/Bavel seem to have fallen into. I love Majordomo in its own way, but as a LA restaurant it can't compare to a place like Sun Nong Dan -- the strip mall, the incongruity of traditional Korean dish with just... cheese, the authentically casual-by-necessity vibe. It's why I feel I love Petit Trois more than Trois Mec, or the Bywater more than Manresa -- you could plausibly argue that the finer dining siblings are objectively better restaurants, but the more casual restaurants have more of the chefs' true heart and soul.

Robert Dentice

#796 Post by Robert Dentice » June 4th, 2019, 2:34 am

In NYC Michelin Stars have almost zero impact on a restaurants success. Starred restaurants close all of the time. A small restaurant I frequent told me they get far more business from a 2 minute video that eater did and my instagram posts than from their Michelin star. Another small 1 star that closed said the lack of NY Times review killed them and the star helped very little.

As for the LA Stars it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest omission is Yamakase.

Also I think Majordomo deserved a star.

awilliamson4

#797 Post by awilliamson4 » June 4th, 2019, 8:23 am

I'd have tp echo the sentiment on here for Auburn. Very mature and beautiful restaurant with a clever way to present a tasting menu. I tasted everything on the menu and it is all very very good. I would think that it would be in the running for one maybe 2 Michelin stars. Chef Bost is a very congenial down to earth person who isn't overly pompous given his talent. One thing that really stood out to em was his use of real wood smoke in very delicate way in several of the dishes. I was also a big fan of the cocktails.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4

#798 Post by awilliamson4 » June 4th, 2019, 8:26 am

Another LA spot that needs touting is Ronan. It is one of the best cocktail programs I have encountered recently and the food was all great. This isn't fancy food, just a really well thought through menu utilizing a live fire and Californian and regional Italian influences. The vibe is fantastic and the service was stellar.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

awilliamson4

#799 Post by awilliamson4 » June 4th, 2019, 8:28 am

Just a quick note on a not new spot. I went to Animal for the first time 3 weeks ago and the food was fantastic, playful and impressive. The service was pure garbage. I am not sure if they just have such a following that they can mail it, but no single server there seemed interested and most of them didn't know much about the dishes. Pretty disappointing.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#800 Post by G. Keeler » June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Some interesting choices for the stars. Taco Maria with a star? I really like it there and have been going regularly from the start but don't see how it's 1 star and a place like Majordomo is not. Also was just up in SF and went to Al's Place which has a star. Good food in an extremely casual (which I liked) environment. Again, if Al's Place is one star, Marjordomo, Bavel, etc should all have a star.
G L E N N

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”