Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
David Cooper
Posts: 902
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#701 Post by David Cooper » January 25th, 2019, 11:55 pm

My wife and I had a great bowl of pasta on a Sunday night after a concert at Vespaio. She has had a few business meals there and was very pleased. We also had a pretty good dinner at Otium in December. I think both places do lunch. Nearby are Kendall's and Patina. My Mrs says both are decent.

She knows the area pretty well because she works in the County Office across the street.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#702 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 26th, 2019, 4:59 am

Republique definitely has heterogenous levels of service, especially if you don't eat there often. I think they tend to give their regular customers the A team and better seating. The food is uniformly great IMO though.

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#703 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 26th, 2019, 6:23 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:00 am
The grilled cabbage at Charcoal is a favorite. I avoid DineLA because more times than not the participating restaurants are jammed, the kitchens are overwhelmed, and the food isn't very good. Or, more precisely, the food at restaurants I like isn't as good during DineLA as it is when it isn't DineLa. The go-to steaks at Charcoal are the house-aged Porterhouse and Ribeye, cut large to share.

My son and his friends went to APL a week ago and loved it. I'm going to go soon.
Let me know when...I can give you a tour the dry-aging. Serving some 1+ year dry aged stuff now that is very interesting.

johngonzales
Posts: 6946
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#704 Post by johngonzales » January 26th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Ron F r e e d wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:08 am
johngonzales wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 2:11 pm
If anyone is looking to do DineLA, the offering at Charcoal is always one of the best.
We were there this past Saturday evening. We chose the DineLA menu, and certainly nobody complained about the value. Aside from not getting serving utensils with the shared appetizer plates, there was really only one dish that was truly memorable--the grilled cabbage appetizer. The salmon and steak were OK, the salmon tasted wild caught but the steak was unremarkable--we eat very, VERY well at home, preparing these fairly often, so our group rated it only as "meh". There will undoubtedly be numerous efforts to recreate that grilled cabbage dish though.
I can see that, though we seem to like everything a bit more than you did. I was mostly commenting that their DineLA is a decent value, has more dishes, and has some of their best things. Agree about the cabbage, we’ve tried it at home. But I agree that Charcoal is one of those places that is not particularly creative or unique, and one can make similar things at home. But they DO use good ingredients and do it well. I kind of feel the same way about Craft, and actually don’t order a straight-up steak at restaurants much. They do have some nice cuts available at a Charcoal, and duck.

Ironically, I had a DineLA dinner at Ruth Chris last night and had a steak. 16oz. Ribeye. It was good and the “deal” basically got one the salad and the dessert for free. That works out better than most DineLA options. Patina actually does pretty well for DineLA as it’s a way to get a nice meal there for significantly less $,and it isn’t crowded.

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1193
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#705 Post by Jerry Hey » January 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Depending on your tolerance for loud bass and bass drum, Otium is a good restaurant. But trying to have a conversation is almost impossible and the "music" is annoying.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2119
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#706 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 26th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I like upstairs 2 for dinela; they had a deal where you got 15% off the whole bill wed/thurs too. Sad that place isn’t open routinely anymore.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4665
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#707 Post by M.Kaplan » January 26th, 2019, 2:17 pm

saul_cooperstein wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 6:23 am
M.Kaplan wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:00 am
The grilled cabbage at Charcoal is a favorite. I avoid DineLA because more times than not the participating restaurants are jammed, the kitchens are overwhelmed, and the food isn't very good. Or, more precisely, the food at restaurants I like isn't as good during DineLA as it is when it isn't DineLa. The go-to steaks at Charcoal are the house-aged Porterhouse and Ribeye, cut large to share.

My son and his friends went to APL a week ago and loved it. I'm going to go soon.
Let me know when...I can give you a tour the dry-aging. Serving some 1+ year dry aged stuff now that is very interesting.
Saul,
I’ll let you know when. Michael enjoyed the tour and loved the 1 year+ dry aged steak. He is a big fan of APL. Small world.
---Mark

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#708 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 26th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I don’t think he got the 1-year as just started this week. When he was there was probably 150-180 day ‘103’ ribeye

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4665
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#709 Post by M.Kaplan » January 26th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Yes, that’s the one. He said it was delicious.
---Mark

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#710 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 26th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Let me know if want to get a small group together. Could be a good night for some nice reds.

Ron F r e e d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 476
Joined: September 3rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#711 Post by Ron F r e e d » January 26th, 2019, 5:43 pm

johngonzales wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 1:32 pm
Ron F r e e d wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:08 am
johngonzales wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 2:11 pm
If anyone is looking to do DineLA, the offering at Charcoal is always one of the best.
We were there this past Saturday evening. We chose the DineLA menu, and certainly nobody complained about the value. Aside from not getting serving utensils with the shared appetizer plates, there was really only one dish that was truly memorable--the grilled cabbage appetizer. The salmon and steak were OK, the salmon tasted wild caught but the steak was unremarkable--we eat very, VERY well at home, preparing these fairly often, so our group rated it only as "meh". There will undoubtedly be numerous efforts to recreate that grilled cabbage dish though.
I can see that, though we seem to like everything a bit more than you did. I was mostly commenting that their DineLA is a decent value, has more dishes, and has some of their best things. Agree about the cabbage, we’ve tried it at home. But I agree that Charcoal is one of those places that is not particularly creative or unique, and one can make similar things at home. But they DO use good ingredients and do it well. I kind of feel the same way about Craft, and actually don’t order a straight-up steak at restaurants much. They do have some nice cuts available at a Charcoal, and duck.

Ironically, I had a DineLA dinner at Ruth Chris last night and had a steak. 16oz. Ribeye. It was good and the “deal” basically got one the salad and the dessert for free. That works out better than most DineLA options. Patina actually does pretty well for DineLA as it’s a way to get a nice meal there for significantly less $,and it isn’t crowded.
Now duck is something we don't do at home, and it it were on the menu as an option, we most certainly would have tried it.

We were at Santuari in Toluca Lake last night and it was quite impressive (sharing facilities with the Toluca Lake Tennis & Fitness Club). $15 corkage as I recall, so we will bring some winos there in the near future. The meal and service were both very good, but the desserts were just incredible--my wife is a dessert snob and she quite liked them both.

Adam G
Posts: 341
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#712 Post by Adam G » January 27th, 2019, 5:10 pm

saul_cooperstein wrote:
January 26th, 2019, 2:44 pm
I don’t think he got the 1-year as just started this week. When he was there was probably 150-180 day ‘103’ ribeye
That's what we had when we were there a few months ago. Got to meet Mr. APL himself too! No tour of the dry ageing room though.
It's crazy expensive, but that would be one hell of a place to have a gathering.
A. Gr0ssm@n

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#713 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 27th, 2019, 5:45 pm

If anyone has interest in getting a 6-top together for APL let me know. I helped set the deal up so get pretty hooked up.

Brandon Econ
Posts: 23
Joined: October 24th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#714 Post by Brandon Econ » January 28th, 2019, 8:07 am

Went to Otoño in Highland Park on Friday. Cool space with a nice long bar, fun vibe, and music at an appropriate volume for conversation. Cocktails and wine list are great. My wife had this butter rum drink that made we want to slip inside it and live there. Plenty of bottles in the $30-$60 range and Txakolina on tap. They had an 82' Muga Crianza for $180 which just seems like it's there so they have 1 old Rioja but generally speaking the wine list is awesome, diverse and well priced. Food was hit and miss. Pan con tomate was delicious; shiny, unctuous orbs of tomato on generously garlic-rubbed crusty bread. Gambas a la plancha were meaty and succulent. The shells almost dissolving on the tongue. Their take on patatas bravas came in churro form which was like a delicious, crispy tube of fatty, paprika bathed potato. Mushroom paella was over salted and dry and the green tea broth it was cooked in gave it a harsh tannic quality. Croquettas were not the right flavor or texture and were incredibly salty. The Bone Marrow with smoked oyster butter was so rich, salty and over-the-top it was impossible to finish. If we lived closer I could see stopping by for the pan con tomate, gambas and a glass of txakoli but it's not worth the trek for a second visit. My feeling is that there is this tendency in LA that the menu needs to be over f*ck with to be interesting and Basque food isn't something that needs green tea broth or black garlic saffron anything to be good. Otoño shines with the dishes that are the simplest.

julianseersmartin
Posts: 261
Joined: February 27th, 2018, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#715 Post by julianseersmartin » January 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

saul_cooperstein wrote:
January 27th, 2019, 5:45 pm
If anyone has interest in getting a 6-top together for APL let me know. I helped set the deal up so get pretty hooked up.
Saul, I'd be interested. Haven't done any offlines since moving to LA so I don't know anyone else but I'm definitely keen.

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#716 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 28th, 2019, 2:39 pm

John Gonzales / mark Kaplan any interest ?

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 69
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#717 Post by saul_cooperstein » January 28th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Shifted to offline thread

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 360
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm
Location: Chino, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#718 Post by Andre M » February 2nd, 2019, 6:53 pm

I just tried Iki Ramen in K-Town. Highly recommend this place. Tomorrow and Sunday they will have a 6-courses tasting menu for $30 that I had the opportunity to try today.

They have different type of broth. While I am usually skeptical with clear ramen broth, Iki ramen changed my perception.
I tried the shoyu and yuzu shio ramen, and both were delicious.

Parking would be a bit challenging since it’s very limited.
A M u l y o n o

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”