Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
G. Keeler

#551 Post by G. Keeler » July 25th, 2018, 7:24 am

c fu wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
G. Keeler wrote:My wife and I went to Dialogue in Santa Monica this past weekend. We had heard mixed reviews but I wanted to try it since it is very different than anything else in LA right now. And I really want high end to work in LA. This did not work....at all.

Dialogue is not about creating pleasure for their guests. It's for the chef to show off and assault your palate at every turn. Most dishes just have to much going on with to many competing strong flavors. Lots of fermented items, freeze dried powders on top of other strong flavors, on top of subtle main ingredients that get lost. For example, an osetra caviar dish was completely muted with the addition of burnt strawberry, strawberry foam and other strong flavors that just drown out what should be the star of the dish. I'm usually not a big dessert fan but that was more successful here because they were not overly sweet and to be honest my palate just needed a break.

Service was well executed and the space and music selection was nice (mainly east coast hip hop like talib kweli and the new tribe album). The wine guy was very nice to talk to and pairings were all pretty tasty but leaned hipster. Tough food to pair with.

Overall a big miss but want chefs to keep trying high end in LA. I just want a few to have the choice. Something like Brooklyn Fare would kill out here I think.
Sorry to read this. I had similar feelings about another high end place that will go unnamed. Not sure Brooklyn Fare would work in LA. People in LA don't want to pay for high end food.
Not true. People in LA don't want to go to stuffy sit down restaurants with long tasting menus. They have no problem paying big dinner tabs.
Agree. I think people will pay but it has to be the right type of high end to work here. Somni sounds interesting by Jose Andres. It seems playful, not stuffy and ingredient driven.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#552 Post by Robert Dentice » July 25th, 2018, 10:16 am

Glenn/Charlie - You might be correct. However I am skeptical that a non-Japanese place that costs $550 per person with tax and tip without wine would survive in LA. Other than Urasawa there is simply no precedence for this in LA. I rarely get out of Brooklyn Fare with out spending $1000 per person.

johngonzales

#553 Post by johngonzales » July 25th, 2018, 11:30 am

G. Keeler wrote:My wife and I went to Dialogue in Santa Monica this past weekend. We had heard mixed reviews but I wanted to try it since it is very different than anything else in LA right now. And I really want high end to work in LA. This did not work....at all.

Dialogue is not about creating pleasure for their guests. It's for the chef to show off and assault your palate at every turn. Most dishes just have to much going on with to many competing strong flavors. Lots of fermented items, freeze dried powders on top of other strong flavors, on top of subtle main ingredients that get lost. For example, an osetra caviar dish was completely muted with the addition of burnt strawberry, strawberry foam and other strong flavors that just drown out what should be the star of the dish. I'm usually not a big dessert fan but that was more successful here because they were not overly sweet and to be honest my palate just needed a break.

Service was well executed and the space and music selection was nice (mainly east coast hip hop like talib kweli and the new tribe album). The wine guy was very nice to talk to and pairings were all pretty tasty but leaned hipster. Tough food to pair with.

Overall a big miss but want chefs to keep trying high end in LA. I just want a few to have the choice. Something like Brooklyn Fare would kill out here I think.
Gene, when did you go?

My wife and I were there at the Sat. 7/20 early seating. I liked it more than you did. However, someone gave us a “gift card” for almost all of the cost of the meal, so that aspect was not heavy within our equation. Fwiw, the cost of the meal, without beverage, service and tax included, was right around $510 for two.

I liked it, but not enough to justify that cost. I didn’t really feel like they were not concerned with providing pleasure and a good menu to guests. What they did, they did really well, from ingredients to service and presentation. The room is secreted inside a food-court, which is strange, but it was fine and the music was good. Sitting at the chef’s counter seemed a plus.

My complaint was in the design of the menu, and some of the executions. It was a very ethereal menu, complex, with a ton of ingredients, and really nice presentations. The thing I admired, is that most of it was stuff one would never do at home, or find in many places. BUT.... First off, there were a few too many sweet ingredients. Also, for my palate a bit to many herbal, leafy things. But that is more of a personal preference. A coated and fried geranium leaf did nothing for me, and the sea kelp was a wasted effort as well. I also would have preferred that the sweeter items be at the end of the meal, rather than having a couple inserted mid meal. I also felt like a few,of the later items needed more of the protein. The spot prawn dish had about 1/3 of a prawn diced up. It was tasty, but needed more prawn to notmget dominated by a taste as strong as the chocolate mint leaves. Ditto with the pork belly which had a really deep combo of tomato components which needed some more belly. I thought some of the dishes were really excellent. The lamb tartare was one of the best Tartares I’ve had. The hamachi dish, where he cured the hamachi and had a duo of sauces was my favorite item. The pork belly dish had that one proportion issue, but was really tasty. The final two desserts were really good. I attached a photo of our menu.

Wine was a challenge. I think that seemed like a poor proposition to me. It’s a tough menu to pair with, so I guess I can see some esoteric choices. I am just a little more traditional in my likes But on top of the meal $175 each for pairings which were mostly $20-$40 wines seemed too much. We opted to pay two $75 corkages, and brought a Cuvée Louise and a Morlet Pinot. Winewise, going withnfour people and bringing four bottles seems the way to go. There was nothing by the glass, which would have been an improvement.

I think Beran is a really good chef. I talked with him a decent amount. They also provided a little notebook to give feedback on the whole experience. I hope he makes a few tweaks on the level sweet ingredients, and makes sure the “meat”of the menu has enough of each protein. One has to be in the mood to pay for creativity and complexity to enjoy it. One also has to not expect one of the meals of their lifetime for the high price tag. I can’t really say that one should go, but I don’t regret going.
Attachments
FE4AC306-8FB0-4F8C-BD02-05674DE5048B.jpeg
FE4AC306-8FB0-4F8C-BD02-05674DE5048B.jpeg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

G. Keeler

#554 Post by G. Keeler » July 25th, 2018, 1:06 pm

I was there the same night for a 6pm seating (we were 15mins late) and had the same menu. We sat at the middle table but got moved to the middle of the bar half way through the meal when 2 people left, which could have been you.

To me there was just to many competing flavors as I said above. When you are using high end ingredients and charging for them you have to let them shine or complement them. Most dishes didn't do that. I agree on the lamb which was our favorite course but again, that was one of the few courses where the main ingredient really stood out. The Hamachi dish was one of our least favorites. With all of the herbs and powders on herbs and the 2 thick sauces on the plate, I just got no Hamachi at all and felt the dish was out of balance. I agree there is talent there and a lot went into the prep since each course had so much going on, but editing and balance will be key to prolonged success IMO.

I actually had no problem with the price due to the ingredients used and prep involved. Just the execution and taste.
G L E N N

G. Keeler

#555 Post by G. Keeler » July 25th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Glenn/Charlie - You might be correct. However I am skeptical that a non-Japanese place that costs $550 per person with tax and tip without wine would survive in LA. Other than Urasawa there is simply no precedence for this in LA. I rarely get out of Brooklyn Fare with out spending $1000 per person.
Yeah, we were over $1K per person at Brooklyn Fare as well and agree that would be pushing the price point for the LA crowd. When I mentioned Brooklyn Fare I was talking more about the style of the restaurant vs. the price. It's somewhat casual, not stuffy, open kitchen, music playing, lots of friendly dialogue with the staff and chef and extremely well put together dishes. I think if you can capture a vibe like that in the $200-$300 range for food it would do well here.

I think a lot of people end up going out in LA to the million "small plates" restaurants thinking they are getting good value and they end up at $200 per person anyway.
G L E N N

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#556 Post by c fu » July 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Glenn/Charlie - You might be correct. However I am skeptical that a non-Japanese place that costs $550 per person with tax and tip without wine would survive in LA. Other than Urasawa there is simply no precedence for this in LA. I rarely get out of Brooklyn Fare with out spending $1000 per person.
What was the precedence for $550/p in NY that wasn't Masa? Saison in SF couldn't keep up their $480 pricing. Nothing in Chicago is close.

That's a tall order to ask of any city.

But like Glenn said, LA is a "shared plates" kind of city. You easily spend $150-200 on just a casual sit down restaurant doing 60 covers a night.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Robert Dentice

#557 Post by Robert Dentice » July 25th, 2018, 2:07 pm

c fu wrote:
What was the precedence for $550/p in NY that wasn't Masa? Saison in SF couldn't keep up their $480 pricing. Nothing in Chicago is close.

That's a tall order to ask of any city.

But like Glenn said, LA is a "shared plates" kind of city. You easily spend $150-200 on just a casual sit down restaurant doing 60 covers a night.

I agree. Other than Masa there is no prior example in Manhattan. And I also think you have to exclude Japanese restaurants as for some reason there are people willing to pay a lot more for Japanese (similar to Urasawa)

However there are lots more in NYC in the over $300 range than any other city in the U.S.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#558 Post by fred o. » July 25th, 2018, 11:42 pm

if that's the kind of dining tariff expected, then I think I'm fine with LA not having that kind of scene here. Especially with a lot of the reflection lately on Jonathan Gold and what he symbolized about what's so vital and unique about LA's dining scene, and given the ongoing sociopolitical/economic climate of our country, fine dining for the sake of fine dining with those kinds of stakes doesn't seem justified or appealing in this city. There are plenty of people in LA with more money than sense or taste, but I don't think that means carpetbaggers from the East Coast or elsewhere can just phone it in with direct transplants or poorly conceptualized concepts, and expect lasting success and recognition. Brooklyn Fare is unique to NY/Brooklyn, and I for one think it's perfectly fine for it and its ilk to stay where they are -- like great wine expressing terroir, it is of its own place, and LA deserves its own great restaurants, whatever that means.

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#559 Post by p@ulbortin » July 26th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Beef Noodle Soup at Chengdu Taste was terrific and perfect yet again.

Fishing with Dynamite was dynamite. Terrific raw bar soft shells and tuna.

johngonzales

#560 Post by johngonzales » July 27th, 2018, 4:32 pm

https://www.eater.com/best-american-res ... rants-2018

Three L.A. spots hit this Eater list of best new restaurants in America: Bavel, Majordomo, Dialogue

Barry L i p t o n

#561 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 27th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I normally don't bother with restaurant week, but Bazaar enticed me and it was quite excellent. I think going early (6:15) helped with the consistency of the food as they got slammed late.

Justin S

#562 Post by Justin S » July 29th, 2018, 11:30 am

I went to Dialogue in the winter of 2017 and did not find the meal as assaulting on the palate as described above. Perhaps they have tried to push things more with the more recent menus? I also thought the wine pairing was pretty decent (mostly traditional regions and wines), and probably a better value than that at Somni, though I thought Somni as a whole was a more "fun" "experience". Good to know how things have gone at Dialogue more recently.

Still haven't been able to bring myself to try Vespertine.
$ ! n g h

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#563 Post by Andre M » August 5th, 2018, 7:43 am

Went to Dialogue last night and pretty had the experience as Glenn and John mentioned above.
The service and presentation were superb, but taste wise was just OK for my palate.
I think if you want to bring your wine to Dialogue, champagne is the safest route.
With the herbs that they used, I had to wash down my meal with lots of water before drank the bordeaux.
A M u l y o n o

Robert Dentice

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#564 Post by Robert Dentice » August 25th, 2018, 7:51 am

Finally hit Trois Mec. Loved the overall vibe, the wine list (a few real steals) but the food was just ok with a couple of extremely disappointing dishes. Chef was in the house and very nice.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#565 Post by c fu » August 26th, 2018, 11:27 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 7:51 am
Finally hit Trois Mec. Loved the overall vibe, the wine list (a few real steals) but the food was just ok with a couple of extremely disappointing dishes. Chef was in the house and very nice.

What were the steals? Everything I’ve seen while there has been 3-4x
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#566 Post by Robert Dentice » August 27th, 2018, 7:23 am

c fu wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 11:27 am

What were the steals? Everything I’ve seen while there has been 3-4x
Mostly things where prices have moved up over the last few years and you can tell they have not adjusted the prices. The Coche was ~1/3 of the current auction/retail value. And some things like Gonon below current retail prices. Certainly not the entire list.

Chris.Martin

#567 Post by Chris.Martin » September 10th, 2018, 11:27 am

Does anyone know of any good spots (Fun bars, happy hours, great food) near the Hollywood Bowl? Heading there tonight (from Orange County) for the Dave Matthews Band concert and need some help. I know you can picnic at the Bowl but since it's a leased event no alcohol is allowed to be brought in. If anyone has been recently, please let me know if you know of any places nearby or tips. Cheers, Chris

M. Meer

#568 Post by M. Meer » September 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Chris.Martin wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 11:27 am
Does anyone know of any good spots (Fun bars, happy hours, great food) near the Hollywood Bowl? Heading there tonight (from Orange County) for the Dave Matthews Band concert and need some help. I know you can picnic at the Bowl but since it's a leased event no alcohol is allowed to be brought in. If anyone has been recently, please let me know if you know of any places nearby or tips. Cheers, Chris
In a pinch, I'd head to the Hungry Cat for happy hour. Drinks and food are more than serviceable. K&L is right by there also, if you opt to BYOB and picnic. While you can't drink your wine past the gates, you should be able to eat and drink at the benches before you enter.
Mar.kus

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#569 Post by fred o. » September 26th, 2018, 10:33 am

M. Meer wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm
Chris.Martin wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 11:27 am
In a pinch, I'd head to the Hungry Cat for happy hour. Drinks and food are more than serviceable. K&L is right by there also, if you opt to BYOB and picnic. While you can't drink your wine past the gates, you should be able to eat and drink at the benches before you enter.
+1 on Hungry Cat. this is late but another good nearby option is Tabula Rasa bar in Hollywood; sometimes they have La Morra pizza there, and they have a very interesting wine list (leans heavily towards the natty side of the spectrum so may not be for everyone, though).

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#570 Post by fred o. » September 26th, 2018, 10:40 am

went to Hippo in Highland Park recently. in the same complex as Triple Beam pizza, Highland Park Wine, and now Go Get Em Tiger. The chef is Matt Molina from Mozza. The highlight for me was the pastas, handmade and very fresh/interesting seasonal flavors, like summer corn. Big downer was that they don't allow corkage; their wine list seems fairly priced and almost all selections are <$100, but all fairly recent vintage, and not much barolo/barbaresco, etc., which is unfortunate if you're looking to pair a higher end Italian wine with the fare.

Went back to the Nomad in dtla multiple times recently, and they've stepped it up quite a bit since my first visit. Staff much better trained, great service -- friendly and great memory. Some of the entrees were still a bit salty but in general I appreciated the creativity/energy behind the kitchen. Cocktails there are still wonderful and with great variety. And their wine list is genuinely very interesting to me, including a lot of relatively older selections, which is unique for LA; sommelier service was very gracious and helpful. I would probably skip their famed chicken for two, but easily go back for drinks, an interesting bottle off their lists, and their seasonal dishes.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#571 Post by c fu » September 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Going to try out Simone tomorrow night. Former cdc at manresa.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

G. Greenbaum

#572 Post by G. Greenbaum » September 26th, 2018, 2:28 pm

fred o. wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 10:40 am
went to Hippo in Highland Park recently. in the same complex as Triple Beam pizza, Highland Park Wine, and now Go Get Em Tiger. The chef is Matt Molina from Mozza. The highlight for me was the pastas, handmade and very fresh/interesting seasonal flavors, like summer corn. Big downer was that they don't allow corkage; their wine list seems fairly priced and almost all selections are <$100, but all fairly recent vintage, and not much barolo/barbaresco, etc., which is unfortunate if you're looking to pair a higher end Italian wine with the fare.
Highland Park is the new dining destination in this city. Hippo is great. It's a trattoria and the wine list reflects what you would find in the shop. I too wish they would allow corkage. Good people involved in this operation and very fairly priced. Across the street is Otoño, stunning Basque/Spanish inspired food from the former chef/owner at Racion. Highly recommended. There's also Mason's dumplings in the mini mall next door. And this just two blocks of Figueroa. There's the rest of Fig and York Blvd. HP!
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Robert Dentice

#573 Post by Robert Dentice » September 27th, 2018, 1:59 pm

c fu wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm
Really excited to read your review.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#574 Post by c fu » September 27th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 1:59 pm
c fu wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm
Really excited to read your review.
Really nice space. Good service. But food wise I give it a B

Tomato dish was delicious. Lots of pop plenty of acid. The tahini at the bottom gave it a ton of extra flavor.

Avocado abalone toast was nice but I felt it needed a bit brighter pickle flavor. They put some small dill pickles but the flavor didn’t pop.

Sourdough with house churned butter - great bread. Very very average butter

Kanpachi and rice cake. It was nice. Candied citrus as a light sauce. But the rice cake is a multi grain rice cake so a bit drier and not very flavorful.

Sturgeon (black cod) - wrapped in nori. Charred corn purée. Really weird dish. It was really one note, lots of earthy charred flavor. But the fish was so salty. I really don’t care for darker earthier fish prep when it’s such a soft delicate fish.

Pork neck- fish sauce peanuts and grilled bokxhou were good. The pork neck was so salty it was basically cured.

The two mains were just super boring and not impressive. Especially at $38 a dish. But the heavy handed salt addition was really off putting. I like that the food is different and isn’t your run of the mill as they take on new flavor combinations and textures.. but a couple of them fell super flat on their face.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#575 Post by Nowell Karten » September 28th, 2018, 1:02 am

Hi, Charlie. That's disappointing to read, as I've been looking forward to Simone's opening. Do you generally think that after only one week of a restaurant being open, one can get an accurate read of the quality of that new restaurant?
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#576 Post by c fu » September 28th, 2018, 8:04 am

Nowell Karten wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:02 am
Hi, Charlie. That's disappointing to read, as I've been looking forward to Simone's opening. Do you generally think that after only one week of a restaurant being open, one can get an accurate read of the quality of that new restaurant?
It depends. There were zero service kinks. Their wait staff is A+ there.

The two issues have more to do with the chef’s ideas and salt tolerance than anything. Not sure how time will change it as she’s been honing this menu for months now to get the flavor profile she’s looking for.

I think the food is visually appealing and there’s great technique behind the food. Just the flavor (and salt) left me wanting. I did find it funny that the pork dish was in itself very salty and then they added more finishing salt on top. I’m wondering if it’s a brine issue that caused the salt.

I’ll probably try it again in a few months. Not order any protein mains and just concentrate on small plates.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#577 Post by Robert Dentice » September 28th, 2018, 8:34 am

Charlie - Sorry to read that. Hopefully they improve. I was excited for this spot.

Two other new spots for you locals - Robertas is now open in culver city and I am hearing absolutely great things about Hayato.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#578 Post by c fu » September 28th, 2018, 9:56 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:34 am
Charlie - Sorry to read that. Hopefully they improve. I was excited for this spot.

Two other new spots for you locals - Robertas is now open in culver city and I am hearing absolutely great things about Hayato.
Gonna go to Hayato next month. Will report back. Their corkage policy is pretty lame with 1 btl per couple.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#579 Post by Nowell Karten » September 28th, 2018, 7:01 pm

c fu wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 8:04 am
Nowell Karten wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:02 am
...Do you generally think that after only one week of a restaurant being open, one can get an accurate read of the quality of that new restaurant?
It depends...The two issues have more to do with the chef’s ideas and salt tolerance than anything. Not sure how time will change it as she’s been honing this menu for months now to get the flavor profile she’s looking for...I’ll probably try it again in a few months.
I think it's not just service that can take some weeks to find its footing but the kitchen, too. A dish's execution can certainly be refined, over time, and even its concept can be modified. I like to give a restaurant at least six weeks, if not 12, to see what it is. Of course, early feedback to a restaurant can be important to its improvement.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#580 Post by Peter Simpson » October 4th, 2018, 4:27 pm

We had dinner at Blacksmith on Saturday night. The food was fantastic but service was slow...2 1/2 hours to get thru three courses. The noise level in the place is deafening!
Cheers, Peter

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#581 Post by c fu » October 24th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Hayato was the best meal I’ve had in LA. Get a res now. Subtle but flavorful food. Clean pure presentation.

Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#582 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 29th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Cool. What was the wine/BYOB situation, Charlie, and what did you drink?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#583 Post by c fu » October 30th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 11:39 pm
Cool. What was the wine/BYOB situation, Charlie, and what did you drink?

and 88 dom.

corkage was 40/40/80
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#584 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 30th, 2018, 4:28 pm

{Drool}.

Are you generally a fan of Cote de Beaune reds?

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

G. Greenbaum

#585 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 31st, 2018, 9:14 am

Going to Cassia for the first time. Anyone been lately? I loved the Spice Table back in the day. What are your favorite dishes?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#586 Post by p@ulbortin » November 3rd, 2018, 2:14 pm

Several visits to Republique had Grouse and Parrtirdge both were terrific, the best things we’ve had there. Krug 166e on the list $200.

johngonzales

#587 Post by johngonzales » November 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm

Has anyone been to the LQ Foodings Supper Club pseudo pop-up dinners done by Laurent Quienoux?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#588 Post by c fu » November 3rd, 2018, 9:53 pm

johngonzales wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm
Has anyone been to the LQ Foodings Supper Club pseudo pop-up dinners done by Laurent Quienoux?
Yep. Good times
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#589 Post by alan weinberg » November 4th, 2018, 12:07 pm

p@ulbortin wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 2:14 pm
Several visits to Republique had Grouse and Parrtirdge both were terrific, the best things we’ve had there. Krug 166e on the list $200.
damn great!

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#590 Post by T. Altmayer » November 4th, 2018, 4:28 pm

johngonzales wrote:
Used to go to Bistro K back in the day, love his cooking.
Tom

johngonzales

#591 Post by johngonzales » November 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

c fu wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 9:53 pm
johngonzales wrote:
Yep. Good times
Thanks, he has an eight course truffle dinner this weekend which looks tempting. I already have a big wine dinner Sat., so am not sure I want to do back-to-back blowouts, but it looks good and well priced if they are reasonable at all with the truffles. I’ve enjoyed his cooking elsewhere and wonder about this format. Did you bring wine and recall how corkage was?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#592 Post by c fu » November 5th, 2018, 10:44 am

johngonzales wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 10:27 am
c fu wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 9:53 pm
johngonzales wrote:
Yep. Good times
Thanks, he has an eight course truffle dinner this weekend which looks tempting. I already have a big wine dinner Sat., so am not sure I want to do back-to-back blowouts, but it looks good and well priced if they are reasonable at all with the truffles. I’ve enjoyed his cooking elsewhere and wonder about this format. Did you bring wine and recall how corkage was?
$25/btl.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Fleming

#593 Post by David Fleming » November 5th, 2018, 12:09 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 9:14 am
Going to Cassia for the first time. Anyone been lately? I loved the Spice Table back in the day. What are your favorite dishes?
Pig Tail (old Spice Table dish)
Charcuterie
Sunbathing Prawns
Chopped Escargot w/Clay Oven Flatbread
Cold Sesame Noodles (add crab)
Pork Belly Vermicelli
Beef Rendang (Spice Table)
Lamb Breast
Grilled Seabass

Worth the slog from DTLA over to Santa Monica. I miss being able to walk to the Spice Table.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#594 Post by c fu » November 5th, 2018, 12:29 pm

David Fleming wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 12:09 pm
G. Greenbaum wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 9:14 am
Pig Tail (old Spice Table dish)
Charcuterie
Sunbathing Prawns
Chopped Escargot w/Clay Oven Flatbread
Cold Sesame Noodles (add crab)
Pork Belly Vermicelli
Beef Rendang (Spice Table)
Lamb Breast
Grilled Seabass

Worth the slog from DTLA over to Santa Monica. I miss being able to walk to the Spice Table.
been to Kasih yet? Not too far from where Spice Table was. It's not as all encompassing SE asian as Spice Table was, but it's a really good focus on Indonesian food... which is becoming the "hot" asian cuisine
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#595 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#596 Post by c fu » November 9th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Had lunch at Hayato today. They do bento boxes for lunch ($50). Amazing

Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#597 Post by Robert Dentice » November 10th, 2018, 4:38 am

Went to Robertas last weekend. And thought the entire meal was excellent including a 70 day aged American Wagyu dish that was a special. Pizzas were just as good as in NY.

johngonzales

#598 Post by johngonzales » November 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 4:38 am
Went to Robertas last weekend. And thought the entire meal was excellent including a 70 day aged American Wagyu dish that was a special. Pizzas were just as good as in NY.
Interesting. My wife suggested we go last night but I vetoed as I’ve heard mostly negative or lukewarm reviews, especially as compared to the NY location. But a lot of the negativity seems to relate to wait/timing, value, and the “hipster” attitude.

David Fleming

#599 Post by David Fleming » November 10th, 2018, 9:02 pm

c fu wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 12:29 pm
been to Kasih yet? Not too far from where Spice Table was. It's not as all encompassing SE asian as Spice Table was, but it's a really good focus on Indonesian food... which is becoming the "hot" asian cuisine
No. Been meaning to go and have heard good things about it. I love Indonesian cooking and it is definitely underrepresented in LA (as well as Malay). Frankly there is just too much new good stuff opening around here and it's hard to hit it all while still patronizing your regular spots!

Robert Dentice

#600 Post by Robert Dentice » November 11th, 2018, 7:52 am

johngonzales wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 11:47 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 4:38 am
Interesting. My wife suggested we go last night but I vetoed as I’ve heard mostly negative or lukewarm reviews, especially as compared to the NY location. But a lot of the negativity seems to relate to wait/timing, value, and the “hipster” attitude.
The space/location is definitely odd. I have eaten at the NY location regularly since they opened and I am also a regular at Blanca and I thought the food was just as good as the NY. It was also a slow Sunday night and they know me well.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”