Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
johngonzales

#501 Post by johngonzales » March 18th, 2018, 4:27 pm

In/within 30min of Long Beach:
Beachwood
Big Mista BBQ
Unless there’s horrible traffic, you could get to Brodard Chateau / Little Saigon

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#502 Post by P. Willenberg » March 19th, 2018, 7:42 am

Jason Hagen wrote:I would stick to Beachwood over Congregation. Next to Beachwood is https://www.yelp.com/biz/michaels-pizze ... ichael%27s Only been once (have been to his high end place on Naples a few times) and it was excellent.

Depending on your location and driving routes, you could it Issac's. The chile verde burrito is the best in SoCal. Keep in mind, because of the demand, they prices are a little ridiculous and whether the place is empty or full, it always takes a long time to get you food. Depending on the day, the chile verde can be, "burn your face off" or nice and spicy. The Jones burrito is amazing as well. A mix of chile verde & chili colorado, with an added avocado. https://www.yelp.com/biz/isaacs-cafe-wilmington

Near Monkish it might be worth popping into Smog City.

If you like Mole, Madre is in Torrance. Right near where I grew up. https://www.yelp.com/biz/madre-torrance ... &osq=madre

Then of course, lots of Korean BBQ.

I'll be up in PDX in July incase you are free to get some oysters.

Cheers,

Jason
These are killer recs. thank you!

I'll be in Sweden for some portion of July but if scheduling works, oysters for sure! I just took down a couple dozen during dollar hour on Friday :)
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#503 Post by P. Willenberg » March 19th, 2018, 8:06 am

johngonzales wrote:In/within 30min of Long Beach:
Beachwood
Big Mista BBQ
Unless there’s horrible traffic, you could get to Brodard Chateau / Little Saigon
def. going to squeeze in Brodard
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#504 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 19th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:I would stick to Beachwood over Congregation. Next to Beachwood is https://www.yelp.com/biz/michaels-pizze ... ichael%27s Only been once (have been to his high end place on Naples a few times) and it was excellent.

Depending on your location and driving routes, you could it Issac's. The chile verde burrito is the best in SoCal. Keep in mind, because of the demand, they prices are a little ridiculous and whether the place is empty or full, it always takes a long time to get you food. Depending on the day, the chile verde can be, "burn your face off" or nice and spicy. The Jones burrito is amazing as well. A mix of chile verde & chili colorado, with an added avocado. https://www.yelp.com/biz/isaacs-cafe-wilmington

If you like Mole, Madre is in Torrance. Right near where I grew up. https://www.yelp.com/biz/madre-torrance ... &osq=madre

Cheers,

Jason
Thanks for all this, Jason! Very good to know about the Beachwood-adjacent pizzeria, and also Isaac's. What part of Torrance did you grow up in? Ashley and I reside in south.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#505 Post by todd waldmann » March 20th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Quick weekend in LA. I absolutely love Major dōmo. The whole vibe is great. I went twice. The boiled chicken was my favorite dish. The service was outstanding particularly the wine director, Richard Hargreave who I know from NYC. I will be a frequent visitor.

Ate at majordomo a couple of weeks ago with Charlie and the boiled chicken was one of the best dishes I've eaten recently. I don't think we would have ordered it if not for your instagram post, so thanks for that! If I lived in/frequented LA, I would return over and over to eat this chicken!
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Robert Dentice

#506 Post by Robert Dentice » March 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm

todd waldmann wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:Quick weekend in LA. I absolutely love Major dōmo. The whole vibe is great. I went twice. The boiled chicken was my favorite dish. The service was outstanding particularly the wine director, Richard Hargreave who I know from NYC. I will be a frequent visitor.

Ate at majordomo a couple of weeks ago with Charlie and the boiled chicken was one of the best dishes I've eaten recently. I don't think we would have ordered it if not for your instagram post, so thanks for that! If I lived in/frequented LA, I would return over and over to eat this chicken!
I can't wait to go back! Glad you liked the Chicken.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#507 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 24th, 2018, 6:56 am

Cheers,

Jason

If you are still considering the Torrance area, Restoration Kitchen is quite good and wine friendly. It is right around the corner from Madre.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Jerry Hey

#508 Post by Jerry Hey » March 24th, 2018, 9:59 am

Restoration Kitchen - thanks for the tip, Marshall. I'll be checking it out. Anything good around here is worth a trip.

Jason Hagen

#509 Post by Jason Hagen » March 24th, 2018, 10:00 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Thanks for all this, Jason! Very good to know about the Beachwood-adjacent pizzeria, and also Isaac's. What part of Torrance did you grow up in? Ashley and I reside in south.
Hey Brian,

Still a shame we have never connected. I grew up in East Side Torrance and went to old Torrance High, many moons ago. I lived, and my dad still lives, by Crenshaw & Sepulveda.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#510 Post by Jason Hagen » March 24th, 2018, 10:03 am

Jerry Hey wrote:Restoration Kitchen - thanks for the tip, Marshall. I'll be checking it out. Anything good around here is worth a trip.
+ 1. I heard there was another place by Madre. This must be it.

Jason

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 25th, 2018, 2:20 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Thanks for all this, Jason! Very good to know about the Beachwood-adjacent pizzeria, and also Isaac's. What part of Torrance did you grow up in? Ashley and I reside in south.
Hey Brian,

Still a shame we have never connected. I grew up in East Side Torrance and went to old Torrance High, many moons ago. I lived, and my dad still lives, by Crenshaw & Sepulveda.

Jason
Dang ... that has to be less than two miles from our Hawthorne&PCH location. Hit me up (PM if you want) with any other local faves of yours. We are relatively new to the neighborhood (almost 2 years), and are still exploring. Ideally, though, we have this conversation over a cold one. [cheers.gif]

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

G. Greenbaum

#512 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 26th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:
Hey Brian,

Jason
Dang ... that has to be less than two miles from our Hawthorne&PCH location. Hit me up (PM if you want) with any other local faves of yours. We are relatively new to the neighborhood (almost 2 years), and are still exploring. Ideally, though, we have this conversation over a cold one. [cheers.gif]
El Segundo Brewery visit?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

bryan c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#513 Post by bryan c » March 30th, 2018, 10:18 am

Anyone been to Somni? I have reservations tonight and curious if anyone has feedback on their various wine pairing options. There's not much info searching online.
B. C |-| E N
(CT Handle: mrbry83)

Jason Hagen

#514 Post by Jason Hagen » March 30th, 2018, 10:52 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:

El Segundo is a million miles away from me but could do Monkish, Smog City or Phantom.

Brian, our favorite place used to be right down the street from you. Maria's (Anza & PCH). Incredible carnitas and albondigas. Of course almost every Mexican restaurant in the South Bay would slaughter anything I can get in Orange county. Marias has moved to Western Avenue. Haven't been so I cannot vouch for it. Maria is the sister of South Bay legend, Alfredo. As the Alfredo's empire grew, I thought the food became variable and would only go to Maria's. Of course that was over 20 years ago.

I'll PM you next time I am in the area. Should be soon.

Jason

G. Keeler

#515 Post by G. Keeler » April 2nd, 2018, 6:54 pm

We did a quick night in day/night in downtown last friday for a Laker game. Lunch at Q sushi was again very good. Really high quality fish and very good rice.

Early dinner before the game was at Rossoblu. We were not terribly hungry so we just split a starter, a few pastas and some of the veggie sides. Starter of pork meatballs with grilled polenta bread was excellent. Maltagliati with mushrooms was kind of sloppy and very rich. Tortellini in brodo was nice but the portion was massive and I couldn't come close to finishing. Same portion issue with the Maltagliati. Coal roasted veggies were nice as was the snap pea side. Good cocktails and small but well selected wine list worked out nicely. Overall mixed on the food but the space and service were very nice. We won't be running back for the pasta but some of the larger portion meat dishes that were coming out of the kitchen did look good.

Next morning brunch at Republique once again. We love it here and they did not disappoint. Pastries, smoked salmon bagel with loads of caviar, pork adobo fried rice all excellent.
G L E N N

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#516 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 6th, 2018, 2:16 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: Dang ... that has to be less than two miles from our Hawthorne&PCH location. Hit me up (PM if you want) with any other local faves of yours. We are relatively new to the neighborhood (almost 2 years), and are still exploring. Ideally, though, we have this conversation over a cold one. [cheers.gif]
I love that place! I'd be down (but would need some pre-planning, to work around work and kids' activities, et al. ...)

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#517 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 6th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:

El Segundo is a million miles away from me but could do Monkish, Smog City or Phantom.

Brian, our favorite place used to be right down the street from you. Maria's (Anza & PCH). Incredible carnitas and albondigas. Of course almost every Mexican restaurant in the South Bay would slaughter anything I can get in Orange county. Marias has moved to Western Avenue. Haven't been so I cannot vouch for it. Maria is the sister of South Bay legend, Alfredo. As the Alfredo's empire grew, I thought the food became variable and would only go to Maria's. Of course that was over 20 years ago.

I'll PM you next time I am in the area. Should be soon.

Jason
Sounds good. And I think I've driven by an Alfredo's ---- on PCH somewhere, iirc. And I'll put Maria's on the list, too. [cheers.gif]

Barry L i p t o n

#518 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 18th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Has anyone been to Jitlada since Chef Sungkamee passed away?

Any other great places nearby (other than Zankou) I’m dining pre theatre for a show at the Fountain.

johngonzales

#519 Post by johngonzales » April 18th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:Has anyone been to Jitlada since Chef Sungkamee passed away?

Any other great places nearby (other than Zankou) I’m dining pre theatre for a show at the Fountain.
I haven’t but a friend said it was still basically the same. We tried Luv2eat Thai Bistro on Sunset between Highland and Vine a few weeks back. They had some different dishes, All was very good. Super casual. No booze and no byob .

G. Greenbaum

#520 Post by G. Greenbaum » April 19th, 2018, 10:14 am

Hey Barry,
That Theater is super close to Marouch or Carousel (which is free corkage).
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Barry L i p t o n

#521 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 19th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Thanks all! Marouch is also walking distance, great!

saul_cooperstein

#522 Post by saul_cooperstein » April 20th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Barry how far in future?

Barry L i p t o n

#523 Post by Barry L i p t o n » April 21st, 2018, 12:01 am

tomorrow

saul_cooperstein

#524 Post by saul_cooperstein » April 21st, 2018, 6:02 am

Gotcha. Had an idea but not opening for a few weeks. Hope all is welll

Robert Dentice

#525 Post by Robert Dentice » April 26th, 2018, 11:51 am

I was in LA last weekend and returned to some recent favorite spots:

Majordōmo - tried just about the entire menu over two dinners. Really like what they are doing and just so happy they are in LA. Chicken is still my favorite. If you like beef those dishes were also excellent. Wine director, Richard Hargreaves, is great.

Sqirl - always fantastic

Kismet - great and unbelievably welcoming

Triniti LA - Outstanding. This might be some of the best cooking in LA if you like this type of food. An oat dish was my favorite dish of the weekend. This is a very small place only open for lunch. I think they stop serving at 3:00. The Chef worked at Red Medicine and Destroyer.

Trible Beam Pizza - Quick stop on the way to the airport. Very good.
Last edited by Robert Dentice on April 26th, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#526 Post by P. Willenberg » April 26th, 2018, 1:03 pm

is that Triniti, Robert? had a tough time finding it on google.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#527 Post by Robert Dentice » April 26th, 2018, 2:21 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:is that Triniti, Robert? had a tough time finding it on google.
Yes that is the one:

https://www.triniti.la/

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#528 Post by p@ulbortin » April 27th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Love the food in LA - King of comfort food!

Tsujita - Tsukemen heaven in a bowl.

Sun Nong Dan - Galbi Jjim Amazing Korean short rib casserole crowned with flamed cheese.

Chengdu Taste - Almost a religious experience everything is so eye opening and beautifuly made. The best Beef Noodle Soup and possibly the best Sichuan restaurant in the world according to many.

Guelaguetza - Forget mediocre Republique for breakfast and go here for Oaxacan Eggs Divorciado or Mole the way you wish they would be but never are. The refried beans are by far the best I’ve had. Almost a pudding.

Nighthawk - Perfect French Toast.

Howlin Rays - Great howlin hot spicy chicken but the hour+ wait is a non-return.

Broken Spanish - Fantastic short rib.

Chunju Han IL Kwan - Budae jjigae Korean army stew of spam, hot dog, Kimchi and fast noodle is ridiculously addictive! Seafood Pancake.

Omar - Big Plate Chicken with Noodles - with freshly made wide noodles, is a soulful deeply satisfying huge plate of joy. A convergence of Chinese, Islamic and Russian cooking this is one of the very best meals we’ve had anywhere. Every time. The Lamb skewers are also dazzling.

Little Jewel of New Orleans - Terrific Pulled Pork Po Boy.

Sasabune Disarmingly delicious and affordable Toro, Uni, Shrimp head. Outstanding value.

Tea Habitat - High quality Dan Cong, Phoenix Mountain Oolong is Imen’s specialty.

M. Meer

#529 Post by M. Meer » April 27th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the KTown recommendations!
Love the pork neck stew and ribs at Ham Ji Park on 6th (skip the Pico one). Super wine friendly too (Champagne, Riesling, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Taurasi, etc)
Mar.kus

Robert Dentice

#530 Post by Robert Dentice » April 28th, 2018, 8:16 am

Paul - Thanks for the great list. Need to check some of those out.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#531 Post by fred o. » April 28th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Nice list. Not sure if Chengdu Taste is really the best Sichuan restaurant in the world -- is it *really* better than the best from Sichuan province in China? lol. Agree about Tsujita and Sasabune, but I think for both they're location dependent; for example, not sure about the Tsujita at the Americana in Glendale, assuming you went to the one on Sawtelle.
paul bortin wrote:Love the food in LA - King of comfort food!

Tsujita - Tsukemen heaven in a bowl.

Sun Nong Dan - Galbi Jjim Amazing Korean short rib casserole crowned with flamed cheese.

Chengdu Taste - Almost a religious experience everything is so eye opening and beautifuly made. The best Beef Noodle Soup and possibly the best Sichuan restaurant in the world according to many.

Guelaguetza - Forget mediocre Republique for breakfast and go here for Oaxacan Eggs Divorciado or Mole the way you wish they would be but never are. The refried beans are by far the best I’ve had. Almost a pudding.

Nighthawk - Perfect French Toast.

Howlin Rays - Great howlin hot spicy chicken but the hour+ wait is a non-return.

Broken Spanish - Fantastic short rib.

Chunju Han IL Kwan - Budae jjigae Korean army stew of spam, hot dog, Kimchi and fast noodle is ridiculously addictive! Seafood Pancake.

Omar - Big Plate Chicken with Noodles - with freshly made wide noodles, is a soulful deeply satisfying huge plate of joy. A convergence of Chinese, Islamic and Russian cooking this is one of the very best meals we’ve had anywhere. Every time. The Lamb skewers are also dazzling.

Little Jewel of New Orleans - Terrific Pulled Pork Po Boy.

Sasabune Disarmingly delicious and affordable Toro, Uni, Shrimp head. Outstanding value.

Tea Habitat - High quality Dan Cong, Phoenix Mountain Oolong is Imen’s specialty.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#532 Post by fred o. » April 29th, 2018, 8:46 pm

bumping this thread with some updates:

--Redbird recently was mixed, some of the food was overly salty, we got a pork dish that was overly sweet from the dates, overall the food felt unbalanced. The space is still beautiful, however, and the bar program still pretty good. They have an interesting wine list, some rarer Italian selections.

--Bestia still packed, and still excellent. I think my favorite dish there is the chicken gizzards, so satisfying and well balanced. The wine list is aggressively priced, however, though the wine service was affable, and we still enjoyed the cocktails.

--Majordomo was just so so food-wise on a recent visit. We went with a larger group and got the APL beef rib, which was cool to look at but taste-wise felt overrated, though perhaps our expectations were too high. I had a more mixed feeling about the bings, etc. Wine list was interesting, however, and seemed more fairly priced than Bestia, and the somm service was very friendly. Overall, I enjoyed the momofuku in Vegas more, missed the pork buns. I felt like Jonathan Gold's review was spot on, and deftly balanced the conflict-of-interest angle with some honest opinions. Especially after seeing Ugly Delicious on Netflix, I'm wondering if David Chang is spreading himself too thin, and I'm wondering if I can sense a strong unique identity to his food -- it's hard to describe, Asian fusion? Would rather go to ktown than here, personally.

--checked out Bavel, the mediterranean restaurant that's newly opened by the team behind Bestia. It's a beautiful space inside and the food well-done. Ori Menashe was there manning the line, and everything we tried from the scallop crudo to the pitas/breads to the main entrees (lamb neck schwarma, turmeric chicken leg) was outstanding.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#533 Post by c fu » April 30th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Went with a couple of wine berserkers on Tuesday to major domo and they were worried after reading the j gold piece. But they loved the meal.

In regards to the apl short rib it matters how they cut it. Some of the guys cut it on the grain and it just doesn’t do the meat justice. It happened to me the first time and I was thinking “wtf is this! It sucks!!”. But when we had it last week, it was cut ala brisket with flat and point and we all rolled our eyes to the back of our heads. I think it’s kinda ridiculous they don’t all just cut it on way.

My issue with the Gold review is Gold can’t differnetiate himself from the idea that ethnic food can’t be had anywhere but in hole in the walls. Elevated modern ethnic food just tastes different. Is it what we know and are comfortable with? No. My friend owns a chain of higher end Vietnamese restaurants in LA and he is always telling me how it’s tougher to sell a different type of more expensive pho because people are comfortable with a price and quality. When he tweaks it and adds modern flair it seems to fall short cause people want the traditional.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

M. Meer

#534 Post by M. Meer » May 6th, 2018, 11:02 am

I've been to Rinjani in Glendale a few times now. Have to recommend getting the rijstaffel, which is a set menu for $25. It includes the short rib and the chicken curry, which are two of the dishes to get there. Corkage is $10.

Otherwise, I'd suggest going with a party of 4 to try a bit of everything, including the fried noodles, which wouldn't be a part of the set menu.
Mar.kus

Mich@el Ch@ng

#535 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 6th, 2018, 10:03 pm

My view on majordomo is that it brings very high quality ethnic food that’s just short of best in class in a number of different styles/categories into a nice sexy space with a nice bar program and great wine list. It also offers some interesting innovative dishes like the bings. The foie gras one is out of control.

Are the galbi jjim as good as sun non dang? No. But they’re close to as good, and I can have them with great wine in a much cooler venue. I don’t have to write my name on a piece of paper and wait 45 minutes to be stricken off the list if I wander off for a minute or aren’t pay attention when they call my name, and only have my choice of coke or Diet Coke once I order my food.

I’m personally a big fan of majordomo.

As far as the high end modern ethnic food thing goes, though, it usually is worse at the non-hole in the wall places, with a few notable exceptions, like Rasika in DC. An excellent example is maison dongpo, which is certainly decent, but the dongpo is decidedly mediocre compared to the best in class examples like Chang’s Garden just down the street. Jonathan gold really does have an amazing sense of the pulse of ethnic food in LA, though, as he made a similar point to this in his review as well. I do think the Peking duck there is probably their best dish but it still isn’t best in category.

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#536 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » May 7th, 2018, 10:03 am

The biggest challenge with major domo is getting the Uber/Lyft drivers to figure out where to drop you off/pick you up! :)

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#537 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 17th, 2018, 9:37 am

Where would you experts recommend for a relaxed early client lunch on a Wednesday, when the client is coming from Culver City? Client likes to eat, but is not food crazy, and is also gluten free. Wine is not a consideration in this scenario. Price is not a major factor.

Thanks!

G. Greenbaum

#538 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 17th, 2018, 10:23 am

If the meeting is casual and you won't mind sitting outside at a possible communal table, Destroyer is in Culver City on the Hayden tract. If you're not familiar, check out Jordan Kahn.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#539 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 17th, 2018, 10:33 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:If the meeting is casual and you won't mind sitting outside at a possible communal table, Destroyer is in Culver City on the Hayden tract. If you're not familiar, check out Jordan Kahn.
Would be perfect, except that's where I took this client last time! :)

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#540 Post by Nowell Karten » May 17th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Where would you experts recommend for a relaxed early client lunch on a Wednesday, when the client is coming from Culver City? Client likes to eat, but is not food crazy, and is also gluten free. Wine is not a consideration in this scenario. Price is not a major factor.
Lukshon is open for lunch until 2:30 and is five minutes from Destroyer. The food is contemporary southeast Asian and is very good, though I've only been for dinner. I would think the menu offers many gluten-free choices, too.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#541 Post by AAgrawal » June 29th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Last minute request: headed to LA for dinner tonight and this thread is overwhelming! Anything I shouldn’t miss that I can reasonably get I to for tonight around West Hollywood (or reasonable driving distance)? Interesting wine list is a strong plus. Thanks!
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Mich@el Ch@ng

#542 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 30th, 2018, 10:10 am

Republique would’ve been the choice, too late though I guess.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#543 Post by AAgrawal » June 30th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Actually, we ended up at Republique! Loved the food, and we had a lovely 2012 La Pialade.

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#544 Post by AAgrawal » June 30th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Actually, we ended up at Republique! Loved the food, and we had a lovely 2012 La Pialade.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#545 Post by alan weinberg » July 1st, 2018, 12:24 pm

Gwen: read great things and was excited to try. Went last night. Loud, loud, loud--mostly the music, not the crowd.

We did the tasting menu after a drink--they have a good bourbon list with my two favorites--Willett and Blanton's. Wine list is good, broad appeal and interest at various price points.

Bread was served and was fresh-baked and delicious. Probably was the high point of the meal. Charcuterie, house-made, was next. Pretty average and needed mustard (which they brought on request) and bread (gone by now, but they brought more), but just wasn't as good as most meats. Agnolotti with corn and truffle were bland (where are the truffles?) and pretty much room temperature, not hot--most of the food here needed spicing, even the steak that had no pepper or salt on it. Steak was below average, decent flavor but nothing to rave about. Name any local steakhouse chain--it would be better than this piece of beef. Leek side dish was tasty, duck fat potatoes crispy but couldn't tell they had been cooked in duck fat--which I usually love. Dessert was unfinished by all 4 of us, a flavorless tart with accompanying prickly pear sorbet that was too sour. Two servers, one friendly and the other just perfunctory.

The attached butcher shop looked good but after the meal, my initial plans for taking home a couple steaks evaporated.

Place gets great reviews, but pretty meh on this night.

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#546 Post by Scott Watkins » July 1st, 2018, 7:21 pm

alan weinberg wrote:Gwen: read great things and was excited to try. Went last night. Loud, loud, loud--mostly the music, not the crowd.

We did the tasting menu after a drink--they have a good bourbon list with my two favorites--Willett and Blanton's. Wine list is good, broad appeal and interest at various price points.

Bread was served and was fresh-baked and delicious. Probably was the high point of the meal. Charcuterie, house-made, was next. Pretty average and needed mustard (which they brought on request) and bread (gone by now, but they brought more), but just wasn't as good as most meats. Agnolotti with corn and truffle were bland (where are the truffles?) and pretty much room temperature, not hot--most of the food here needed spicing, even the steak that had no pepper or salt on it. Steak was below average, decent flavor but nothing to rave about. Name any local steakhouse chain--it would be better than this piece of beef. Leek side dish was tasty, duck fat potatoes crispy but couldn't tell they had been cooked in duck fat--which I usually love. Dessert was unfinished by all 4 of us, a flavorless tart with accompanying prickly pear sorbet that was too sour. Two servers, one friendly and the other just perfunctory.

The attached butcher shop looked good but after the meal, my initial plans for taking home a couple steaks evaporated.

Place gets great reviews, but pretty meh on this night.
Had a very similar experience and don't have any plans to go back. Although my daughter's loved the place because two of the world's hottest DJ's were sitting behind us. :)
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

G. Keeler

#547 Post by G. Keeler » July 23rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

My wife and I went to Dialogue in Santa Monica this past weekend. We had heard mixed reviews but I wanted to try it since it is very different than anything else in LA right now. And I really want high end to work in LA. This did not work....at all.

Dialogue is not about creating pleasure for their guests. It's for the chef to show off and assault your palate at every turn. Most dishes just have to much going on with to many competing strong flavors. Lots of fermented items, freeze dried powders on top of other strong flavors, on top of subtle main ingredients that get lost. For example, an osetra caviar dish was completely muted with the addition of burnt strawberry, strawberry foam and other strong flavors that just drown out what should be the star of the dish. I'm usually not a big dessert fan but that was more successful here because they were not overly sweet and to be honest my palate just needed a break.

Service was well executed and the space and music selection was nice (mainly east coast hip hop like talib kweli and the new tribe album). The wine guy was very nice to talk to and pairings were all pretty tasty but leaned hipster. Tough food to pair with.

Overall a big miss but want chefs to keep trying high end in LA. I just want a few to have the choice. Something like Brooklyn Fare would kill out here I think.
G L E N N

Robert Dentice

#548 Post by Robert Dentice » July 23rd, 2018, 1:48 pm

G. Keeler wrote:My wife and I went to Dialogue in Santa Monica this past weekend. We had heard mixed reviews but I wanted to try it since it is very different than anything else in LA right now. And I really want high end to work in LA. This did not work....at all.

Dialogue is not about creating pleasure for their guests. It's for the chef to show off and assault your palate at every turn. Most dishes just have to much going on with to many competing strong flavors. Lots of fermented items, freeze dried powders on top of other strong flavors, on top of subtle main ingredients that get lost. For example, an osetra caviar dish was completely muted with the addition of burnt strawberry, strawberry foam and other strong flavors that just drown out what should be the star of the dish. I'm usually not a big dessert fan but that was more successful here because they were not overly sweet and to be honest my palate just needed a break.

Service was well executed and the space and music selection was nice (mainly east coast hip hop like talib kweli and the new tribe album). The wine guy was very nice to talk to and pairings were all pretty tasty but leaned hipster. Tough food to pair with.

Overall a big miss but want chefs to keep trying high end in LA. I just want a few to have the choice. Something like Brooklyn Fare would kill out here I think.
Sorry to read this. I had similar feelings about another high end place that will go unnamed. Not sure Brooklyn Fare would work in LA. People in LA don't want to pay for high end food.

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#549 Post by SZZimmermann » July 23rd, 2018, 6:03 pm

We recently had two great meals at Republique: really good food and service. We brought our own wine but the wine list looks also really good with regard to selection and price. A definite recommendation.
Scott Zimmermann

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#550 Post by c fu » July 24th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
G. Keeler wrote:My wife and I went to Dialogue in Santa Monica this past weekend. We had heard mixed reviews but I wanted to try it since it is very different than anything else in LA right now. And I really want high end to work in LA. This did not work....at all.

Sorry to read this. I had similar feelings about another high end place that will go unnamed. Not sure Brooklyn Fare would work in LA. People in LA don't want to pay for high end food.
Not true. People in LA don't want to go to stuffy sit down restaurants with long tasting menus. They have no problem paying big dinner tabs.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”