Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#451 Post by Nowell Karten » January 11th, 2018, 10:50 am

Another Indian restaurant worth trying is Mayura on Venice Blvd near Overland, though its decor is like an old, uninspiring donut shop.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 12th, 2018, 5:45 pm

johngonzales wrote:
c fu wrote:ya'll just getting old. ;D
Join the club. You won't be a "young man" much longer.
But seriously, we did admit that clearly many people younger than us would have been fine with some of the things which aren't our preference. That it's just going to be the case at many, even most, new places.

Personally, I can say that some of it does not really seem to be simple preference and there is a better way and a lesser way. Our table was tiny. Partway through they brought us a stool to set the wines on. There's no no way to deny that using tiny plates for multiple liquidy dishes makes it impossible to not corrupt the flavors. Having attentive friendly service would seem to be a plus for anyone that recognizes it. Not that I would say they were bad. They were just a tad non-attentive and just not cheerful.

Anyhow, I could totally be ok with it if the food side was great. That is what is most important. But the food as a whole was what I'd call good plus. Falls short of very good, excellent, great on my scale.

I think John's review was spot on! Plus, he is probably right as I am pretty sure I was the oldest person in the place!! [swearing.gif] All in all, a bit of a disappointment and although not terrible......Diana and I will not be running back. As an aside, Diana's stomach was off the next day as well.

Cheers!
Marshall [wink.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by M.Kaplan » January 13th, 2018, 9:24 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:I’m a big fan of Badmaash in dtla. Going to Anarbagh on S Beverly Dr on Saturday. Will report back.
Meh. I thought Anarbagh was lousy. My wife says I’ve been spoiled by London. She may be right, but it was still lousy.
---Mark

Elliot Steele

#454 Post by Elliot Steele » January 14th, 2018, 10:16 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:I’m a big fan of Badmaash in dtla. Going to Anarbagh on S Beverly Dr on Saturday. Will report back.
Meh. I thought Anarbagh was lousy. My wife says I’ve been spoiled by London. She may be right, but it was still lousy.
Thanks for the report back. Shame it's hard to find good Indian food here.

M. Meer

#455 Post by M. Meer » January 14th, 2018, 11:01 am

I think they might be more casual spots, but my go-to places are India's Flavor in Glendale/Montrose and Agra Cafe in SilverLake. Both byob last time I checked, but might want to confirm before going.

There are good places in the Woodland Hills area also, but it's been quite a while since my last meals there.
Mar.kus

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#456 Post by c fu » January 24th, 2018, 9:57 am

Went to the new nomad hotel mezzanine restaurant. Pretty good food. The lettuce dip was great. Suckling pig dry and inedible but everything else was above average. A bit pricey.

Very strict 2 btl corkage. Talked to as many people as I could with really great bottles. Not too many places will decline diners wanting to open a Rousseau CSJ while buying a bottle off the list and spending nearly $200 a person on food. These young wine director/somms have an odd sense of how to do business.

I really enjoy the wine director from nomad NY Thomas decanting our wine without letting us taste or asking. Or him and two other somms all tasting our wines prior to serving to us. Ha. Gave him a mouthful. Changed nothing.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#457 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » January 24th, 2018, 12:31 pm

I also tried out The Nomad Mezzanine last night (sorry to miss you, Charlie), and will add my two cents:

Impressive design, with that right balance of energy and elegance -- a good vibe overall I think. Top-notch service, with glitches nicely (and generously) handled. Charlie's food notes match mine exactly, including the dry suckling pig. I think the menu would benefit from a slight expansion, actually.

I ordered off the list ad found it generous, with a good diversity though very light on Bordeaux. Kudos on including a number of 'value' selections.

Not perfect, but with their combination of intentions and resources, I expect they will correct missteps to good effect, and look forward to finding out for myself in the coming months.

Charlie: we had a near miss at Faith & Flower a few years ago, too. Please keep me in mind for midweek offlines!

Jonathan

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#458 Post by c fu » January 25th, 2018, 9:29 am

Jonathan Grunzweig wrote:I also tried out The Nomad Mezzanine last night (sorry to miss you, Charlie), and will add my two cents:

Impressive design, with that right balance of energy and elegance -- a good vibe overall I think. Top-notch service, with glitches nicely (and generously) handled. Charlie's food notes match mine exactly, including the dry suckling pig. I think the menu would benefit from a slight expansion, actually.

I ordered off the list ad found it generous, with a good diversity though very light on Bordeaux. Kudos on including a number of 'value' selections.

Not perfect, but with their combination of intentions and resources, I expect they will correct missteps to good effect, and look forward to finding out for myself in the coming months.

Charlie: we had a near miss at Faith & Flower a few years ago, too. Please keep me in mind for midweek offlines!

Jonathan
ha nice. Where'd you sit?

I thought generally the pricing on the list was high compared to retail. 2.75-3x was the normal. We only got a bottle because my friend who brought the Rousseau offered to grab a bottle of bubbly since he didn't open anything.

I do think it's pretty crazy they continuously put out that dry suckling pig. Someone should have stopped them at some point.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ybarselah

#459 Post by ybarselah » January 25th, 2018, 10:56 am

have you guys been to the nyc nomad? curious to get your comparison if so.
Yaacov (ITB)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#460 Post by c fu » January 25th, 2018, 11:20 am

ybarselah wrote:have you guys been to the nyc nomad? curious to get your comparison if so.
Have not been unfortunately.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » January 25th, 2018, 4:10 pm

c fu wrote:
ybarselah wrote:have you guys been to the nyc nomad? curious to get your comparison if so.
Have not been unfortunately.
Nor have I, sorry.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 27th, 2018, 11:51 am

We just had another terrific meal with the Gonzales' for dineLA at Charcoal Venice. How this place is not on Gold's list completely escapes me. Another reason where I cannot figure out that guy. [swearing.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by fred o. » January 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:We just had another terrific meal with the Gonzales' for dineLA at Charcoal Venice. How this place is not on Gold's list completely escapes me. Another reason where I cannot figure out that guy. [swearing.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Glad to hear the meal was great at Charcoal, have to check it out sometime.

As for your second point, I'm taking it more in jest? I don't think Jonathan Gold's list is supposed to be the definitive list of 101 best LA restaurants. LA is a big place and even a person eating out multiple times every day can barely scratch the surface of the variety of restaurants here. He's one person, and the 101 best restaurants list is *his* list, of the restaurants he thinks are important and noteworthy of the ones he's tried and on which he's had a chance to make a (somewhat) definitive judgment. It's idiosyncratic and not perfect, and I think it's meant -- again, I think -- to be more of his own personal guide to exploring food in LA, not a checklist or definitive list of what's what in the dining scene. Sorry for the verbose extrapolation, but it bothers me when people bash him for something that I don't think he necessarily asks for in his work.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#464 Post by fred o. » January 28th, 2018, 10:42 am

went to the Nomad late last night, but to the casual lobby dining area, not the mezzanine. Cocktail list was extensive and creative, some drinks were more excitingly executed than others but all seemed worth a try.

Food was well-executed bar food; the tagliatelle was cooked perfectly al dente with just the right contrast between lemony sauce and rich king crab. Fried chicken was a small portion but fried perfectly. French fries were thin, crispy and evidently popular from what I saw on other tables.

Service was friendly if somewhat disorganized, we went long stretches without attention and there were a lot of waitstaff just running around and standing without addressing basic things like filling water glasses, asking us if we wanted another drink, etc. They were also somewhat poorly trained -- I asked about what pandan was (fun cocktail named Pandan Express, lol), and the waiter did not know. I asked for a glass of the Empire Estate finger lakes riesling and the waitress pouring seemed surprised when I asked (rhetorically) if it was made by Thomas Pastuszak, who was literally sitting just a few feet from where we were, hobnobbing with what looked like were some VIPs of the restaurant group. Perhaps these missteps could be attributed to them just opening and ironing out the details, perhaps part of it is that this is the more casual component of the hotel dining...

Overall, the place has a lot of potential, but it seems like they're aiming for a more "scene"-y type of place, with prices and (small) portions to match. I prefer the overall experience at ERB better if I'm looking for comparable food and drinks in a more casual setting with better prices.

Barry L i p t o n

#465 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

Any comments on Katana?

It's very convenient to a one night staycation at the Andaz I have coming up, and it's one of the few that Open Table still gives $100 credit for 10,000 points. Plus, I can roughly stay on my diet with Japanese robata.

johngonzales

#466 Post by johngonzales » January 28th, 2018, 11:39 pm

fred o. wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:

As for your second point, I'm taking it more in jest? I don't think Jonathan Gold's list is supposed to be the definitive list of 101 best LA restaurants.
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG (43.01 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
I see much of your point, BUT in Marshall's defense it does indeed say "BEST restaurants"
So while indeed it is one person's list, best means best as opposed to favorite or noteworthy. So he really should be including the "top" restaurants. It would be pretty ludicrous if he left off Providence or N/Naka or Spago etc.. I CAN see him factoring value and classicism into the group beyond what are really the top 70 (i.e.) so as to include places like Langer's or Jitlada.

That said I don't take as much issue with some leave-offs as Marshall does, and don't feel they ruin the function of the list. If you use his list, you'll hit a great cross section of L.A. good eating. Admittedly you'll miss a few omissions or places that subjectively don't quite make it for Gold. I do think Charcoal should be on the list. I wouldn't put it in the top 50, but it's hard to imagine that it can't crack a second 50 even with a bunch of places granted slots for factors secondary to absolute food/service quality. One thing about it is that it isn't exotic or extremely creative. But it does end up being an excellent meal. One real rarity about it is that they need to turn the music UP. They play a great lineup of classic rock but it's almost inaudible.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm

johngonzales wrote:
fred o. wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:

As for your second point, I'm taking it more in jest? I don't think Jonathan Gold's list is supposed to be the definitive list of 101 best LA restaurants.
IMG_1144.JPG
I see much of your point, BUT in Marshall's defense it does indeed say "BEST restaurants"
So while indeed it is one person's list, best means best as opposed to favorite or noteworthy. So he really should be including the "top" restaurants. It would be pretty ludicrous if he left off Providence or N/Naka or Spago etc.. I CAN see him factoring value and classicism into the group beyond what are really the top 70 (i.e.) so as to include places like Langer's or Jitlada.

That said I don't take as much issue with some leave-offs as Marshall does, and don't feel they ruin the function of the list. If you use his list, you'll hit a great cross section of L.A. good eating. Admittedly you'll miss a few omissions or places that subjectively don't quite make it for Gold. I do think Charcoal should be on the list. I wouldn't put it in the top 50, but it's hard to imagine that it can't crack a second 50 even with a bunch of places granted slots for factors secondary to absolute food/service quality. One thing about it is that it isn't exotic or extremely creative. But it does end up being an excellent meal. One real rarity about it is that they need to turn the music UP. They play a great lineup of classic rock but it's almost inaudible.

Fred: I understand some of your points......nonetheless, he is the restaurant "critic" for the Los Angeles Times and his list is published by and distributed by the Times. There are many other outlets writing about food in LA, but this is the only major newspaper remaining. And, in this regard, it makes Mr. Gold pretty important to a restaurant's success.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Barry L i p t o n

#468 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 29th, 2018, 5:21 pm

How is charcoal for fish eaters who don't want meat?

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by M.Kaplan » January 29th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:How is charcoal for fish eaters who don't want meat?
Not a great choice. I like Charcoal a lot, but wouldn’t go if I didn’t eat meat.

https://www.charcoalvenice.com/menu/dinner-menu/
---Mark

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » January 30th, 2018, 2:53 pm

OK ... so Charcoal looks really good! Thanks for the tip on that place. What was the corkage situation?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by c_choi_ » January 30th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:We just had another terrific meal with the Gonzales' for dineLA at Charcoal Venice. How this place is not on Gold's list completely escapes me. Another reason where I cannot figure out that guy. [swearing.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
He did review it but considering his conclusion that the best part of the menu were actually the vegetables and not the meat itself, I don't think it's worth a spot on the list. I went there a month after his article and pretty much thought it was meh but maybe they've ironed out the kinks now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chr|s Ch0|

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by fred o. » January 31st, 2018, 10:46 am

c_choi_ wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
He did review it but considering his conclusion that the best part of the menu were actually the vegetables and not the meat itself, I don't think it's worth a spot on the list. I went there a month after his article and pretty much thought it was meh but maybe they've ironed out the kinks now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To be fair, that review is almost 2 years old. Didn't realize it was the same chef behind Melisse. Perhaps JGold is trying to spread the love and include other chefs' work, especially if a single chef has multiple restaurants that don't have radically different concepts.

In response to John and Marshall -- I think you guys have fair points about the 101 best restaurants list, and Jonathan Gold/the LA times essentially being the major game in town, food media wise. I personally feel like the 101 best restaurants list is more of a marketing thing from the LA times, something that they're seizing on to sell more papers and subscriptions, because frankly rankings make great discussion points and marketing bait, but they're of questionable utility otherwise, like with wine ranking lists... what does it even mean to be ranking one restaurant ahead of another, or one wine ahead of another?

I personally don't pay much attention to the Gold 101 restaurant list. I read his reviews to learn more about where dining in LA is going, but the list/rankings lack the soul of what I think Jonathan Gold is really about. To me, I think he had more of his true passions in lists like this one, from his old LA weekly days:

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/jon ... ow-2383348

not a ranking, and doesn't pretend to be an exhaustive list (he even says so: "I arbitrarily capped the number of dishes in this guide at 60, but it is clear that the number could just as well be 160 -- the more I learn about Korean cooking in Los Angeles, the less I feel I know."). Just one passionate lover of Ktown sharing his findings and encouraging exploration and debate.

I love reading Jonathan Gold's work, and I feel like he's one of the few cultural institutions in LA that unifies this large, incredibly diverse city. Like you said, Marshall, however, just unfortunate that there aren't more, stronger voices in this discussion. I look at the state of affairs at the LA Times and it's concerning, an interesting writeup in the NY Times about all the recent drama, and the challenges of these kinds of institutions in LA:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/us/l ... times.html

Not that I think JGold is completely analogous to Robert Parker, but it concerns me that in a similar vein to the Wine Advocate relying so much on Parker, the LA Times focuses so much on JGold; that there isn't a deeper bench of up-and-coming, younger food writers in this city, like Galloni, Martin, et al

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#473 Post by M.Kaplan » January 31st, 2018, 11:11 am

Joe Johnson runs/cooks at Charcoal. He is very good at cooking that menu.
---Mark

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#474 Post by Jay Miller » January 31st, 2018, 1:54 pm

fred o. wrote:
They were also somewhat poorly trained -- I asked about what pandan was (fun cocktail named Pandan Express, lol), and the waiter did not know.
Interesting, I can see that working in a cocktail as I love the aromas when I add it to rice in the rice cooker.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 6th, 2018, 2:55 pm

fred o. wrote:
c_choi_ wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
To be fair, that review is almost 2 years old. Didn't realize it was the same chef behind Melisse. Perhaps JGold is trying to spread the love and include other chefs' work, especially if a single chef has multiple restaurants that don't have radically different concepts.

In response to John and Marshall -- I think you guys have fair points about the 101 best restaurants list, and Jonathan Gold/the LA times essentially being the major game in town, food media wise. I personally feel like the 101 best restaurants list is more of a marketing thing from the LA times, something that they're seizing on to sell more papers and subscriptions, because frankly rankings make great discussion points and marketing bait, but they're of questionable utility otherwise, like with wine ranking lists... what does it even mean to be ranking one restaurant ahead of another, or one wine ahead of another?

I personally don't pay much attention to the Gold 101 restaurant list. I read his reviews to learn more about where dining in LA is going, but the list/rankings lack the soul of what I think Jonathan Gold is really about. To me, I think he had more of his true passions in lists like this one, from his old LA weekly days:

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/jon ... ow-2383348

not a ranking, and doesn't pretend to be an exhaustive list (he even says so: "I arbitrarily capped the number of dishes in this guide at 60, but it is clear that the number could just as well be 160 -- the more I learn about Korean cooking in Los Angeles, the less I feel I know."). Just one passionate lover of Ktown sharing his findings and encouraging exploration and debate.

I love reading Jonathan Gold's work, and I feel like he's one of the few cultural institutions in LA that unifies this large, incredibly diverse city. Like you said, Marshall, however, just unfortunate that there aren't more, stronger voices in this discussion. I look at the state of affairs at the LA Times and it's concerning, an interesting writeup in the NY Times about all the recent drama, and the challenges of these kinds of institutions in LA:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/us/l ... times.html

Not that I think JGold is completely analogous to Robert Parker, but it concerns me that in a similar vein to the Wine Advocate relying so much on Parker, the LA Times focuses so much on JGold; that there isn't a deeper bench of up-and-coming, younger food writers in this city, like Galloni, Martin, et al

Fred: I agree with many of your thoughts. My thoughts on Gold is that he is far better (as you said in the LA Weekly) reviewing and discussing the smaller "ethnic " spots that are so important to the LA food scene. Where he seems to fail, IMHO, is his reviews of the more "serious" restaurants. I believe he did not like Kali when it first opened and was lukewarm on Spring....until this edition. There is no doubt that Gold is an excellent writer. I just wish, as Fred mentioned, that we had more viable media options.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#476 Post by c fu » February 13th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Went to Major Domo today, David Chang's new spot.

Got the whole smoked short ribs, a little dry on the outer pieces. The soft tofu was excellent, kim chi dishes were great. The star are the Bings, their version of naan/pancake etc. Freshly kneaded and cooked on a flat top on order. A variety of things to eat it with, benton's smoked ham, uni, caviar, chick pea mash *hummus* with korean chili oil, pureed eggplant, egg, etc. Awesome stuff. I could do the whole side menu of that.

Also wine service excellent.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#477 Post by fred o. » February 14th, 2018, 9:18 am

c fu wrote:Went to Major Domo today, David Chang's new spot.

Got the whole smoked short ribs, a little dry on the outer pieces. The soft tofu was excellent, kim chi dishes were great. The star are the Bings, their version of naan/pancake etc. Freshly kneaded and cooked on a flat top on order. A variety of things to eat it with, benton's smoked ham, uni, caviar, chick pea mash *hummus* with korean chili oil, pureed eggplant, egg, etc. Awesome stuff. I could do the whole side menu of that.

great to hear, especially that the wine service met your expectations [cheers.gif] . I've wanted to go but seems almost impossible to find a reservation there, wonder if it'll stay that way like Bestia, Felix and others have.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#478 Post by c fu » February 14th, 2018, 3:24 pm

fred o. wrote:
c fu wrote:Went to Major Domo today, David Chang's new spot.

great to hear, especially that the wine service met your expectations [cheers.gif] . I've wanted to go but seems almost impossible to find a reservation there, wonder if it'll stay that way like Bestia, Felix and others have.
they allow walkins and have plenty of seating. As long as you get there before 6 they'll have a table.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#479 Post by Robert Dentice » February 25th, 2018, 8:57 am

Quick weekend in LA. I absolutely love Major dōmo. The whole vibe is great. I went twice. The boiled chicken was my favorite dish. The service was outstanding particularly the wine director, Richard Hargreave who I know from NYC. I will be a frequent visitor.

Hit a new spot in Echo Park called Triniti LA, the chef worked at Destroyer, Red Medicine and Noma. Outstanding. They are only open until 6 and do not have a winelist.

We had a quick snack at Triple Beam Pizza - definitely worth going if you do not have to wait in the long line which actually moves quite fast.

The food scene in LA is really inspiring with many new options.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#480 Post by c fu » February 25th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I find Triple Beam fascinating. They only have 5-6 types of pizza for you to choose from and it’s all laid out. Yet it still takes people 5-8 minutes to place their order at the counter. The time we went the line moves at a glacial pace.

Good pizza tho.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#481 Post by fred o. » March 4th, 2018, 7:39 pm

c fu wrote:I find Triple Beam fascinating. They only have 5-6 types of pizza for you to choose from and it’s all laid out. Yet it still takes people 5-8 minutes to place their order at the counter. The time we went the line moves at a glacial pace.

Good pizza tho.
we walked past Triple Beam today and I had to do a double take, Nancy Silverton was sitting on a bench talking to I think one of the cooks/chefs there. I was star struck, I almost wanted to ask her for a photo... she was gone by the time we walked back again. What was really cool was that they're connected to an outpost of Silverlake Wine, called Highland Park Wine. Wide-ranging and excellent selection as with all the Silverlake Wine/Everson Royce locations.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#482 Post by c fu » March 4th, 2018, 9:05 pm

fred o. wrote:
c fu wrote:I find Triple Beam fascinating. They only have 5-6 types of pizza for you to choose from and it’s all laid out. Yet it still takes people 5-8 minutes to place their order at the counter. The time we went the line moves at a glacial pace.

Good pizza tho.
we walked past Triple Beam today and I had to do a double take, Nancy Silverton was sitting on a bench talking to I think one of the cooks/chefs there. I was star struck, I almost wanted to ask her for a photo... she was gone by the time we walked back again. What was really cool was that they're connected to an outpost of Silverlake Wine, called Highland Park Wine. Wide-ranging and excellent selection as with all the Silverlake Wine/Everson Royce locations.
You know what’s weird tho? You can’t buy a wine from HP wine and open it at triple beam.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert Dentice

#483 Post by Robert Dentice » March 5th, 2018, 10:03 am

c fu wrote:
fred o. wrote:

Good pizza tho.
You know what’s weird tho? You can’t buy a wine from HP wine and open it at triple beam.
Technically I do not think they allow BYOB. We just opened a bottle and kept it below our table and drank from cups. I find myself doing that more and more!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#484 Post by M.Kaplan » March 5th, 2018, 10:22 am

Re: Triple Beam. Is the crust Roman style or Silverton style?
---Mark

Roy Soutee

#485 Post by Roy Soutee » March 5th, 2018, 11:41 am

Sanamluang Cafe, Hollywood/Thaitown
Hollywood Blvd and Kingsley.

A favorite for 25 years, and really cheap.

Chicken Pahd Kee Mao
Duck over rice
Boat noodles
Spicy beef salad
papaya salad

Can't go wrong with anything

Other good Thai food in this area but this one is the wife and my favorite!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#486 Post by c fu » March 5th, 2018, 12:34 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Re: Triple Beam. Is the crust Roman style or Silverton style?
Roman style. Def not the Mozza style pizza.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#487 Post by P. Willenberg » March 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Is there any food of interest within 30 minutes of Long Beach? I'll be there in May and will have a car.

Already have Monkish and Congregation Ale House for beers.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#488 Post by SZZimmermann » March 5th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Four of us ate last night (skipping the Oscars) at Orto, an Italian restaurant at 5th and Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica (at the former location of Jiraffe). It was very good. Corkage was $25. We will gladly go back.
Scott Zimmermann

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#489 Post by P. Willenberg » March 6th, 2018, 6:13 am

SZZimmermann wrote:Four of us ate last night (skipping the Oscars) at Orto, an Italian restaurant at 5th and Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica (at the former location of Jiraffe). It was very good. Corkage was $25. We will gladly go back.
that are has some stiff competition with Cassia and Uovo right there too.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#490 Post by SeanHarding » March 6th, 2018, 9:41 am

I don't know how tight your timeline truly is, but I wouldn't consider Santa Monica to be reliably within 30 minutes of Long Beach. If Santa Monica and Venice are in play, there are lots of options.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#491 Post by M.Kaplan » March 6th, 2018, 10:40 am

P. Willenberg wrote:Is there any food of interest within 30 minutes of Long Beach? I'll be there in May and will have a car.

Depending on where in Long Beach you will be, Taco Maria in Costa Mesa may be within your 30 minutes driving radius.
---Mark

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#492 Post by P. Willenberg » March 6th, 2018, 2:45 pm

SeanHarding wrote:I don't know how tight your timeline truly is, but I wouldn't consider Santa Monica to be reliably within 30 minutes of Long Beach. If Santa Monica and Venice are in play, there are lots of options.
I was responding to a separate thread. sorry for the confusion.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#493 Post by P. Willenberg » March 6th, 2018, 2:46 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
P. Willenberg wrote:Is there any food of interest within 30 minutes of Long Beach? I'll be there in May and will have a car.

Depending on where in Long Beach you will be, Taco Maria in Costa Mesa may be within your 30 minutes driving radius.
I love Taco Maria and will try to fly into John Wayne just so I can go :)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#494 Post by c fu » March 6th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Beachwood Brewing & BBQ isn't bad. beer + bbq. Beer Belly is next door as well.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

R Holliday

#495 Post by R Holliday » March 6th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Best food I ever had in LA was a place called Sona, now long gone. :(
Crazy good tasting menu, decent wine list.
Best "night" at dinner in LA was Hotel Bel Air but that was more company and atmosphere. Plus I'm an out of towner seeing the food scene through a hole in the fence. :)
R 0 n

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#496 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » March 7th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Beachwood BBQ & Brewing. Excellent beers. And I love their BBQ, too. Located in downtown Long Beach.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Justin S

#497 Post by Justin S » March 15th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Only ate once to the NYC location a few years back, and the items I tried back then ranged from so-so (truffle flat bread) to great (composed lobster dish, great sauces). Overall vibe and pricing is quite similar. The main bar in LA is more integrated into the lobby, so it feels more like a party, whereas in NYC things are more spread out. But both locations have multiple bars / places to hang out. A friend of mine ordered the $98 chicken for two here in LA and said it was laughably bad. So they have some improving to do it seems. Depending on your priorities, hanging out at NoMad can be quite fun, but it is expensive. Same glass of whisky next door at 7 Grand might be 2/3rds the price.
$ ! n g h

M. Meer

#498 Post by M. Meer » March 17th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Can't point you out anywhere specific, but Gardena and Torrance are close to Long Beach and have a large Japanese population. You should also be able to grab some decent Hawaiian food.

Beachwood is a solid local option.
Mar.kus

Barry L i p t o n

#499 Post by Barry L i p t o n » March 17th, 2018, 12:59 pm

in Long Beach, Open Sesame is a nice casual middle eastern restaurant.

James Republic is a good small plates place fairly centrally located.
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on March 18th, 2018, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Hagen

#500 Post by Jason Hagen » March 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm

I would stick to Beachwood over Congregation. Next to Beachwood is https://www.yelp.com/biz/michaels-pizze ... ichael%27s Only been once (have been to his high end place on Naples a few times) and it was excellent.

Depending on your location and driving routes, you could it Issac's. The chile verde burrito is the best in SoCal. Keep in mind, because of the demand, they prices are a little ridiculous and whether the place is empty or full, it always takes a long time to get you food. Depending on the day, the chile verde can be, "burn your face off" or nice and spicy. The Jones burrito is amazing as well. A mix of chile verde & chili colorado, with an added avocado. https://www.yelp.com/biz/isaacs-cafe-wilmington

Near Monkish it might be worth popping into Smog City.

If you like Mole, Madre is in Torrance. Right near where I grew up. https://www.yelp.com/biz/madre-torrance ... &osq=madre

Then of course, lots of Korean BBQ.

I'll be up in PDX in July incase you are free to get some oysters.

Cheers,

Jason

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”