Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#401 Post by fred o. » October 19th, 2017, 10:24 pm

C Chen wrote:I'm taking someone to dinner at HLAY (Here's Looking At You) in a few days. Any local post-dinner recommendations? If not, I might go to DTLA and try out Gresescent.
what kind of place are you looking for? Trendy, romantic, type of dessert, etc.?
I asked my +1 and she recommended the following as close to HLAY:

Sul & Beans -- great if you like Korean red bean/shaved ice. not much atmosphere itself but can walk around CGV plaza, catch a Korean movie...
https://www.yelp.com/biz/sul-and-beans-los-angeles

SomiSomi -- same CGV plaza
https://www.yelp.com/biz/somisomi-los-angeles-3

Cafe Bora -- aesthetically cute, inside an interesting new Korean food court
https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-bora-los-angeles

-----

as an aside, recently checked out Kinjiro again with a couple of other berserkers. We name-dropped our very own moderator C fu and Jun the owner mentioned that it's been a little while since Charlie was there but that he's been sending a steady stream of customers there haha. Food was really great. the golden snapper special and the beef tongue were highlights but you really can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

Terroni in dtla is also a surprisingly underrated spot. Not the most innovative menu but it does standards reliably and has a good bar program, to boot. Brunch is great, the Aperol spritz there is a great headache reliever. I think corkage is ~$25 if I remember correctly.

Maude is a great restaurant that I don't see discussed often on this board, for some reason. To me, of the few places I've tried, I think it's the best LA restaurant I've been to thus far. Understatedly casual but gracious service (even after I was boorishly tipsy on a recent visit), great food, thoughtful wine pairings, great glassware (they have their own Somm line of glassware apparently made by Zalto). I'm a little sad that they're ending the monthly ingredient menus but the new quarterly wine region theme looks very interesting. Highly recommend trying it out if you can get a table, for special occasions.

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by P. Willenberg » October 20th, 2017, 7:01 am

C Chen wrote:I'm taking someone to dinner at HLAY (Here's Looking At You) in a few days. Any local post-dinner recommendations? If not, I might go to DTLA and try out Gresescent.
Republique or Harvard & Stone.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

Looking for a restaurant fairly close to our hotel, Beverly Hills Marriott for dinner the first night as I imagine jet lag will set in. Open to almost anything but not super formal please.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

G. Greenbaum

#404 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 23rd, 2017, 3:21 pm

J a y W i n t % n wrote:Looking for a restaurant fairly close to our hotel, Beverly Hills Marriott for dinner the first night as I imagine jet lag will set in. Open to almost anything but not super formal please.
Go to Sotto. You can walk there. Very good Italian with great pizzas and pasta. Excellent wine list. Near by in Century City is Hinoki & the Bird or Craft.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 24th, 2017, 8:11 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
J a y W i n t % n wrote:Looking for a restaurant fairly close to our hotel, Beverly Hills Marriott for dinner the first night as I imagine jet lag will set in. Open to almost anything but not super formal please.
Go to Sotto. You can walk there. Very good Italian with great pizzas and pasta. Excellent wine list. Near by in Century City is Hinoki & the Bird or Craft.
Thanks. Sotto is close which is good considering the heatwave. Not sure I'm ready for triple digits.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by T. Altmayer » October 24th, 2017, 9:52 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
Good recommendation Gregg, great cocktails there as well.
Tom

johngonzales

#407 Post by johngonzales » October 26th, 2017, 9:34 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:
Good recommendation Gregg, great cocktails there as well.
Sotto is good. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going, especially within a walk, but I had my least appealing meal in 7-8 visits a couple of weeks back. Even the pizza was undercooked :(

G. Keeler

#408 Post by G. Keeler » October 30th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Went to Felix the other night for the first time. We thought it was awesome. We had the squash blossoms, focaccia and four pastas. All excellent. 2013 Bartolo Mascarello off the list was drink fantastic and was drinking surprisingly well for it’s age.
G L E N N

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 31st, 2017, 10:00 am

We liked Sotto. Theo, our waiter, was very knowledgeable about their list of Southern Italian wines, a region which I don't know. I enjoyed the wine from Molise. Food was good too.

Robert Dentice

#410 Post by Robert Dentice » October 31st, 2017, 10:23 am

Last weekend in LA texted the GM and also the Chef at Kismet and asked if we could come over with 10-15 people at 10:30 on Friday night. Being ex-NYers (slight dig) they said to come on over and they would figure it out! We ended up staying until 1:30 a.m. and sharing lots of wine with them. Great meal. The Rabbit is unbelievably good. Fantastic hospitality. I wish there were more restaurants in LA that truly appreciated the food and wine crowd. Can't recommend them for the all day or dinner menu enough.

johngonzales

#411 Post by johngonzales » October 31st, 2017, 11:48 pm

Interested in what makes you feel L.A. restaurants don't appreciate the wine crowd. Wine lists here may not be as deep as NYC, but it seems they are more reasonably priced. Most importantly to me is that there is a really open corkage culture. I'm actually more interested in bringing wine with my crowd than in winelists. A large percentage of places in L.A. are very accommodating and that extends to doing meals in consideration of the wines and group, at reasonable costs. Uhhh, memo to Dialogue, what's with the $75 corkage fee???

I think in general it is pretty easy to get into most L.A. restaurants. Though people in L.A. aren't very interested in being able to stay at restaurants past 11pm.

G. Greenbaum

#412 Post by G. Greenbaum » November 5th, 2017, 9:32 am

Dinner last night at Here's Looking at You. There were some excellent dishes like the albacore sashimi with popped sorghum and leche de tigre. We loved the charred sprouted broccoli with nuts, HOP and chile. They serviced our wine very nicely with a decant and good stems. I guess my criticism is that most of the dishes had the same flavors/ideas i.e citrus & heat. Too many dishes with yuzu, serrano. I love the combination of the two, just that most of the dishes had that concept. The stracciatella with a yuzu puree and crusty grilled bread was fantastic, while the yellowtail sashimi was overwhelmed by serrano. There were two of us and we avoided the larger plates as we wanted to try more dishes. I'm sure I'll return to try more of the menu.

As a side note, what's up with Mariscos Chente???? The sign is gone, the place is closed and appears to be going through a remodel or something...
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#413 Post by c fu » November 5th, 2017, 10:01 am

johngonzales wrote:Interested in what makes you feel L.A. restaurants don't appreciate the wine crowd. Wine lists here may not be as deep as NYC, but it seems they are more reasonably priced. Most importantly to me is that there is a really open corkage culture. I'm actually more interested in bringing wine with my crowd than in winelists. A large percentage of places in L.A. are very accommodating and that extends to doing meals in consideration of the wines and group, at reasonable costs. Uhhh, memo to Dialogue, what's with the $75 corkage fee???

I think in general it is pretty easy to get into most L.A. restaurants. Though people in L.A. aren't very interested in being able to stay at restaurants past 11pm.
I disagree, the new hot restaurants are very unfriendly to wine bringers, with limited corkage to non at all. I think it’s pretty common place for. 2 btl max for the table at new spots.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

johngonzales

#414 Post by johngonzales » November 5th, 2017, 9:21 pm

c fu wrote:
johngonzales wrote:Interested in what makes you feel L.A. restaurants don't appreciate the wine crowd. Wine lists here may not be as deep as NYC, but it seems they are more reasonably priced. Most importantly to me is that there is a really open corkage culture. I'm actually more interested in bringing wine with my crowd than in winelists. A large percentage of places in L.A. are very accommodating and that extends to doing meals in consideration of the wines and group, at reasonable costs. Uhhh, memo to Dialogue, what's with the $75 corkage fee???

I disagree, the new hot restaurants are very unfriendly to wine bringers, with limited corkage to non at all. I think it’s pretty common place for. 2 btl max for the table at new spots.
Truthfully, I've been a little slow on going to the "hot new restaurants". But there is a lot of dining here in L.A. beyond those. I agree that there is a trend toward becoming less corkage friendly, and yes, it is more of an issue with a new, hipster wave of establishments. Btw, more often than not, even places that have a two bottle stated limit will let us do at least one more. There is also a trend in SOME places like Bestia, Factory Kitchen, Sotto to relax a little about boo once the red hot first year passes.

But relative to many other of the largest cities, we still have a good combination of corkage culture, wine prices, and even lists. Do you think NYC is any friendlier to corkage culture or wine drinkers in general?

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#415 Post by P. Willenberg » November 6th, 2017, 6:34 am

on my most recent trip to LA, I was shocked at how high the markups were on wines. It was a struggle to find something less than 3x retail. Lists weren't that great either. In general I'd say LA has the most expensive and worst wine lists of the major west coast cities. I guess people want a kale quinoa smoothie in a bowl for lunch instead of a burger and Cremant du Jura.

On a related note, Coni'Seafood is a $10 corkage. They handled 13 of us really well.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#416 Post by Robert Dentice » November 6th, 2017, 7:14 am

John - To clarify I said food and wine crowd. What I mean is that I feel restaurants in cities like NYC and San Francisco, two cities I frequently dine out in really appreciate people who travel the world eating and drinking. The type of person I am thinking about is someone who not only spends money but appreciates what they are doing. I just never feel welcomed in LA (at most not all places) like I do in Copenhagen, NYC, Paris, SF etc. Hope that helps to clarify.

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by P. Willenberg » November 6th, 2017, 7:31 am

to your point Robert, easily the most frustrating culinary experience of the last year (and the year before) is ordering and eating at Gjusta. You can get ignored, lost, skipped, etc and then the pricing is confusing, if labeled.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

johngonzales

#418 Post by johngonzales » November 6th, 2017, 2:35 pm

I'm blaming all that ills the L.A. scene on the proliferation of mid/high-mid priced hipster spots. I feel like I get treated extremely well at most places, including over corkage. But I actually try and avoid the hot new spots.

johngonzales

#419 Post by johngonzales » November 8th, 2017, 10:10 am

P. Willenberg wrote:on my most recent trip to LA, I was shocked at how high the markups were on wines. It was a struggle to find something less than 3x retail. Lists weren't that great either. In general I'd say LA has the most expensive and worst wine lists of the major west coast cities. I guess people want a kale quinoa smoothie in a bowl for lunch instead of a burger and Cremant du Jura.

On a related note, Coni'Seafood is a $10 corkage. They handled 13 of us really well.
Not sure if they are "west Coast" but I've been in Vegas and Phoenix recently. I didn't find winelists there any better or less expensive. Very few of the places I frequent are 3x retail on wine that isn't inexpensive.

I'd most assuredly rather have a burger than a smoothie for lunch, but wouldn't really care if there's no Cremant to pair with it. :)

johngonzales

#420 Post by johngonzales » November 10th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Btw, as an example of a place becoming more liberal about corkage, Lukshon now allows two bottles at $30 each. That's certainly an improvement over their previous policy of not allowing corkage at all.

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by P. Willenberg » November 13th, 2017, 7:14 am

johngonzales wrote:
P. Willenberg wrote:on my most recent trip to LA, I was shocked at how high the markups were on wines. It was a struggle to find something less than 3x retail. Lists weren't that great either. In general I'd say LA has the most expensive and worst wine lists of the major west coast cities. I guess people want a kale quinoa smoothie in a bowl for lunch instead of a burger and Cremant du Jura.

Not sure if they are "west Coast" but I've been in Vegas and Phoenix recently. I didn't find winelists there any better or less expensive. Very few of the places I frequent are 3x retail on wine that isn't inexpensive.

I'd most assuredly rather have a burger than a smoothie for lunch, but wouldn't really care if there's no Cremant to pair with it. :)
I don't think of Phoenix or Vegas as West Coast. Regardless, that's some terrible company to be in
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#422 Post by fred o. » December 12th, 2017, 10:02 pm

went a couple of times to the newly opened Eataly in Century City. packed both times (weekend night -- peak, crazy; weekday mid-day, less busy but still good foot-traffic, including from nearby office buildings). still seems like it's feeling its way in terms of organization, somewhat chaotic/confusing to navigate at times, but a lot of fun. the grocery selection was very interesting, the butcher shop was excellent, they had great quality meats with a strong emphasis on local sourcing and provenance of the meat. The fresh pasta station was really fun to browse, they had fresh truffles earlier (now sold out). The wine shop was somewhat overpriced depending on the selection, but they had unique bottles that I haven't seen elsewhere in the LA area for retail, including American/Cali producers of Italian varietals (several that I only recognized from Ken Zinn's reports, such as Giornata, Barbieri, etc.). Very interesting and cool to try overall, only wish it was closer to dtla.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#423 Post by T. Altmayer » December 17th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Went to Rossoblu last night and was impressed. The downside is that it is another small plates Italian restaurant in a part of DTLA that used to be uninhabitable. On the upside, the cocktail menu is very good, the Italian wine list is very interesting and the pastas are beautifully made. If it had been there before Bestia and Factory Kitchen, people would have gone even more GaGa for it.

The best pasta of the night had veal sweetbreads and a wonderful sauce. The Bolognese is very good, but its still just a Bolognese. There was some broccolini pesto type pasta that was off the charts good, but I didn't order it so didn't a good description of what components were in there. The second course of Chicken and Pork dishes were very well made.

Its well worth the trip, in part because the space is better than Bestia, Factory Kitchen and Officine.
Tom

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by SeanHarding » December 19th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Is there any consensus on the current best sushi places in LA?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#425 Post by c fu » December 19th, 2017, 3:38 pm

SeanHarding wrote:Is there any consensus on the current best sushi places in LA?
no.

check out

Mori, Tsujita sushi, sushi ginza onodera, Zo, Nozawa, Urasawa. List goes on.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#426 Post by SeanHarding » December 19th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Ok, if no consensus (yeah, that was a stupid way to ask the question), I'll ask everyone here, what is your favorite LA sushi place?

It's not LA, but I recently went to Ootoro in Irvine for lunch and it was great. I need to go back for dinner some time.

bryan c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by bryan c » December 19th, 2017, 10:54 pm

SeanHarding wrote:Ok, if no consensus (yeah, that was a stupid way to ask the question), I'll ask everyone here, what is your favorite LA sushi place?
Zo
B. C |-| E N
(CT Handle: mrbry83)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#428 Post by c fu » December 20th, 2017, 10:41 am

SeanHarding wrote:Ok, if no consensus (yeah, that was a stupid way to ask the question), I'll ask everyone here, what is your favorite LA sushi place?

It's not LA, but I recently went to Ootoro in Irvine for lunch and it was great. I need to go back for dinner some time.
ootoro is fun. Funny story behind it. The owner of Ootoro is the head of one of the largest chinese watch/jewelry dealers in Socal. He wanted to get sushi near his headquarters (in Rowland Heights) so he opened one in his plaza. Spare no expense in ingredients. It was pretty successful so they opened an Irvine location which is gangbusters right now.

Kinda similar to how Q Sushi in DTLA came about. John Quinn of Quinn Emmanuel wanted his own sushi restaurant and so he hired a chef from Japan that he knew and opened one a couple blocks from the firm headquarters.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

saul_cooperstein

#429 Post by saul_cooperstein » December 21st, 2017, 6:32 pm

Sushi Zo on a good day is best there is for sushi...for overall Japanese id go with Urasawa but because sushi is not most of the meal prefer Zo for pure sushi. One note is that I have had variable experiences with Zo that range from very very good to absolutely mind-blowing.

G. Keeler

#430 Post by G. Keeler » December 23rd, 2017, 8:58 am

My wife and I did a quick 1 night stay in LA this past week. Started with lunch at Q sushi in downtown. We had the place to ourselves which was kind of fun. Quality of fish was great and we loved the rice. Well selected sake list and service was on point although again we were the only ones there so easy to pay close attention to us. I would put it on par with Zo although I haven't been to the downtown Zo. Only the original.

Dinner was at Here's Looking at You. We were disappointed overall. Nice cocktails and while I see what the chef is trying to do with bold flavors, some dishes needed to be dialed back or edited. Also every time a dish is ready for pick up he would hit this bell like we were in a old school dinner. It got annoying. Music selection was great and we had a nice riesling off the list that was a friendly pairing with most of the dishes.

Went to the Walker Inn for a night cap which was great. Liked the vibe of the place and the cocktails were really nice.

Breakfast the next morning was at Sun Nong Dan for my favorite beef short rib soup. So satisfying on a cold morning. I hadn't been here in awhile but glad to see its still going strong.

We stayed at The Line hotel because it was an easy walk to dinner and breakfast. it was fine for what it is but a bit to hipster for our tastes. Location is nice though to explore K-town.
G L E N N

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by fred o. » December 23rd, 2017, 11:05 am

I haven't been to that many, but my favorite right now is Q. Overall it seemed the most "classic," in the sense that it's not as accommodating of American tastes as other sushi places. I liked how the fish was emphasized above all and that Chef Hiro seems like he brooks no nonsense, which is why I can understand why some reviews of the place complain that he seems rude or standoffish. The rice is unique, has a vinegary flavor that can be polarizing but that I personally loved. I don't think it's for everyone, but I liked my experience there over others.

I've only been to Zo once but personally I wasn't as much of a fan. If I had to make a wine comparison, it seemed to me more of a cult/modernist Napa cab compared to the more old-world/elegant vibe and flavors of Q. The quality of the fish was good but it was disturbing to me how they would cover up some of the flavors with things like truffle salt, etc.; that felt like sacrilege. It was also off-putting when we were discussing other sushi places with the staff and they openly talked crap about Q, pretty distasteful.

Part of the equation for what you're looking for in a sushi place would depend on what you're looking for in the sushi itself. I think it's most interesting to taste fish like sea bream, snapper, etc., instead of the more rich/velvety (and potentially morally questionable, given overfishing, etc.) flavors of bluefin tuna. For the former, I think a place like Q would be ideal. For the later, probably Zo.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#432 Post by c fu » December 24th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Went to kismet this past week. Fantastic food and friendly with wine.

The Japanese radish with lemon butter is one of the best radish preps I’ve had. I don’t know how they got such savory and soft meaty raw radish. Flavors there were clean and excellent t.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 27th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Well, damn. Q sushi is a block away from my work --- guess I should be checking it out! Anyone have experience with corkage there?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

G. Greenbaum

#434 Post by G. Greenbaum » December 31st, 2017, 10:26 am

Shunji last Friday was outstanding. They do a fantastic omakase nigiri. Corkage is $25 and cannot be on their small list. The service was attentive and well paced. Wonderfully intimate feeling at the bar. About $120/pp. Will try the Kaiseki mulitcourse next time.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#435 Post by c fu » January 2nd, 2018, 4:22 pm

On 12/31 I had an amazing food experience.

Tucked in a small corner of an apartment complex of Monterey Park, Bee Bee and her husband have been slinging delicious Burmese noodles for the last decade. As you walk down the street and approach the complex this aroma that floats through the alleyway that can only come from giant vats of stew on a flame. It reminded me of the time my wife and I roaming the streets of Chiang Mai for food after dropping off our bags. I saw a bloom of smoke floating through the air and followed my eyes and nose to a lady with a small cart and a giant pot of Nam Ngiao.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Pictured is the Mohinga, the “national dish” of Burma. A deep earthy catfish stock with thin rice vermicelli and crispy fried fritters of what I’m guessing is chick pea. I’m not sure I’ve had more compelling authentic South East Asian cuisine in the US since I first stepped into Mien Trung. There is no fear of offending the taste buds of palates unfamiliar with the food. The fish paste is strong and gives it a much needed funk and the broth is deep and earthy as one would expect from catfish. It is complex in its simplicity as 10 minutes later I was still tasting the broth in my mouth. All that for $4! Can't wait to try the rest of the menu

PM me for address and detail

[resizeableimage=400,600]https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram.co ... 9648_n.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jason Hagen

#436 Post by Jason Hagen » January 2nd, 2018, 5:10 pm

That looks amazing.

Jason

M. Meer

#437 Post by M. Meer » January 2nd, 2018, 9:50 pm

Love Burmese! Delicious, healthy, and so wine friendly!
Mar.kus

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#438 Post by Jay Miller » January 3rd, 2018, 10:39 am

Jason Hagen wrote:That looks amazing.

Jason
Ditto. That photo makes me want to visit LA.

I actually have tentative plans to do so next summer but not sure if I'll have any free time.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

AmiDIbarra

#439 Post by AmiDIbarra » January 5th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Recent trip to LA and went to Night + Market Song - solid dishes. Crispy rice salad was a highlight but everything tasty.

We also went to Yamakase & were extremely disappointed with the experience. The service was subpar- the waitress had an unkempt appearance and didn't explain any of the dishes. She also spilled our sake a few times with no apologies.
The first few courses were meh but we wanted to give it a chance. Unfortunately, it didn't get any better. Weird food combinations/flavorless truffles/frozen toro. We felt defrauded and taken for a ride.

johngonzales

#440 Post by johngonzales » January 8th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Finally got to Here's Looking at a You with the Gelbs last night. Perhaps partly based upon high expectations, I was slightly disappointed. Basically, I would certainly go back if an offer arose, but I am not eager to go back and by my own design would try a lot of other places first.

The food was good, not great. Some dishes were excellent, and a few were meh. Some of the portions, not all, seemed small for what they charged. The tomato dish was really good. The raw albacore dish with the sorghum was very good. The yellowtail with the chili peppers, good, not very good. The chicken liver was good, not very good, and the portion was small. The pork belly was a poor version of a cut hard to mess up. The chicken leg in a curry was decent, not very interesting, and not really confit as they stated. The shishitos with tonnato were decent, but $14 seems a lot for that. The pork chop was actually a good portion but it just wasn't cook well. Came out slightly undercooked (to me) and tough.

We ordered a decent bottle,of Albariño off a list that was decent, $64 for a wine that's probably $20 retail. Brought a 1970 and a 2001 Faustino rioja which was a fun comparison. $25 corkage each, two bottle max. Decent stems. We had a funny moment where we asked the server if we could have two red wine wine glasses so as to side-by-side the riojas and she brought out two glasses total for the four of us. But then they did get us two each so no complaint there.

I'd say the service was barely passable for a $90 pp all in meal. The main waiter was ok but not very attentive. The two runners or whatever were brain dead and barely spoke or made an expression. The table was too small. They gave us these little share plates but didn't change them out enough. So at one point you're eating three different dishes, two of which were raw fish with very liquidy bases, on the same plate. Resulting in a soupy mess of the three sauces combined. They also tried to pull a big no-no for this foursome trying to coerce us into ordering everything at once. Sorry, but I am sick of doing that and having restaurants bring stuff out in the wrong order, especially to pair with wine, or at the wrong pace. So we basically told them we didn't want to do it like that and he said he would go ask the chef. We got our way, but I don't consider that practice refined dining or what I want to pay mid-high price for.

I think we all concluded that the hipster millennials are probably fine with the style, and we're just old. But none if us were that impressed or felt it deserved its hype. And my stomach was tossing and turning for most of the day today. They won't be "looking at me" anytime soon.

G. Keeler

#441 Post by G. Keeler » January 8th, 2018, 5:55 pm

John, sounds very similar to my experience a couple of weeks ago. Some good, some avg to bad and overall not in a rush to go back. Did you hear the bell that the chef would ding every time a dish was up which was every 15 secs. It got very annoying but we were pretty close to the kitchen so others might not be able to hear it.
G L E N N

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#442 Post by c fu » January 8th, 2018, 10:10 pm

ya'll just getting old. ;D
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

johngonzales

#443 Post by johngonzales » January 9th, 2018, 9:24 am

c fu wrote:ya'll just getting old. ;D
Join the club. You won't be a "young man" much longer.
But seriously, we did admit that clearly many people younger than us would have been fine with some of the things which aren't our preference. That it's just going to be the case at many, even most, new places.

Personally, I can say that some of it does not really seem to be simple preference and there is a better way and a lesser way. Our table was tiny. Partway through they brought us a stool to set the wines on. There's no no way to deny that using tiny plates for multiple liquidy dishes makes it impossible to not corrupt the flavors. Having attentive friendly service would seem to be a plus for anyone that recognizes it. Not that I would say they were bad. They were just a tad non-attentive and just not cheerful.

Anyhow, I could totally be ok with it if the food side was great. That is what is most important. But the food as a whole was what I'd call good plus. Falls short of very good, excellent, great on my scale.

Elliot Steele

#444 Post by Elliot Steele » January 9th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Been craving Indian food. Anyone have any favorites? Could be anywhere in LA, valley included.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by Jay Miller » January 10th, 2018, 8:07 am

johngonzales wrote:
He's looking forward to the day when he can finally appreciate wine. [stirthepothal.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Barry L i p t o n

#446 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 10th, 2018, 10:32 am

Elliot Steele wrote:Been craving Indian food. Anyone have any favorites? Could be anywhere in LA, valley included.
Is be interested too , as we love Indian food, but haven’t found a good one here in 20 years.

Now, if this was the London thread,then there would be many.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#447 Post by fred o. » January 10th, 2018, 10:40 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Elliot Steele wrote:Been craving Indian food. Anyone have any favorites? Could be anywhere in LA, valley included.
Is be interested too , as we love Indian food, but haven’t found a good one here in 20 years.

I think Culver City has a few good options. Artesia close to Cerritos probably is the best location, though, and at least has the highest concentration of Indian restaurants in the greater LA metro area. Don't know of any specifics, though.

Not Indian but Pakistani... I used to love Zam Zam market when it was in Culver City, heard mixed things about it now that it's moved, right down the street from Al Watan haha. Have had mixed experiences myself at Al Watan.

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#448 Post by fred o. » January 10th, 2018, 10:46 am

johngonzales wrote:
But seriously, we did admit that clearly many people younger than us would have been fine with some of the things which aren't our preference. That it's just going to be the case at many, even most, new places.

Personally, I can say that some of it does not really seem to be simple preference and there is a better way and a lesser way. Our table was tiny. Partway through they brought us a stool to set the wines on. There's no no way to deny that using tiny plates for multiple liquidy dishes makes it impossible to not corrupt the flavors. Having attentive friendly service would seem to be a plus for anyone that recognizes it. Not that I would say they were bad. They were just a tad non-attentive and just not cheerful.

Anyhow, I could totally be ok with it if the food side was great. That is what is most important. But the food as a whole was what I'd call good plus. Falls short of very good, excellent, great on my scale.
John, I agree that all of those factors -- service, table layout, noise, etc., are important in any dining experience, regardless of diner age. Went to Republique for dinner recently, and overall thought it was similar in strengths/weaknesses to its sister restaurant Bestia. Great food, superbly executed, and great cocktails. Service however was mostly a miss; our waitress was absent from our area most of the night and clueless about the wine list, not even offering to have a somm come over when we asked later on for the "wine list" again, just giving us a blank look before handing over the printed menu with the brief wine list and then moving on to another table. Noise/music were blaring, conversation was difficult, and we were seated on one of the elevated tables close to the bar crammed close to other tables. It's clear however that not everyone had the same experience; walking to the restroom, I passed by the rear sections of the dining room where the ambiance was clearly quieter and the waitperson-guest ratio was more appropriate. Would go back for the food but not with the best expectations for overall experience.

Elliot Steele

#449 Post by Elliot Steele » January 10th, 2018, 6:39 pm

fred o. wrote:
Barry L i p t o n wrote:

I think Culver City has a few good options. Artesia close to Cerritos probably is the best location, though, and at least has the highest concentration of Indian restaurants in the greater LA metro area. Don't know of any specifics, though.

Not Indian but Pakistani... I used to love Zam Zam market when it was in Culver City, heard mixed things about it now that it's moved, right down the street from Al Watan haha. Have had mixed experiences myself at Al Watan.
There's a really good Pakistani place on Barrington called Chutney's. Don't be fooled by the crappy interior. The food is really good. Just doesn't qualify as Indian when you've got beef on the menu and more regional dishes associated with Pakistan like Nehari.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#450 Post by M.Kaplan » January 10th, 2018, 7:47 pm

I’m a big fan of Badmaash in dtla. Going to Anarbagh on S Beverly Dr on Saturday. Will report back.
---Mark

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”