Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1051 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Looks like Rustic Canyon is now open for Take Out through Tock. And 25% off their wines.

Anyone spot any good deals :)
l 3 r t

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2342
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1052 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Regards,
Gregg


ITB

johngonzales
Posts: 8357
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1053 Post by johngonzales » May 14th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I like what Alta Adams is doing. They have a prix fine meal for $35.
But they are also offering a simpler meal that is “pay what you can”. The full price is $20, but one can just pay what they can. It’s a cool thing to offer to help the community.
The Palm actually has some nice discounted stuff.

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 85
Joined: September 27th, 2017, 8:46 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1054 Post by SZZimmermann » May 23rd, 2020, 11:54 am

Take out near or in Santa Monica:

Pizzana: This has become my favorite place for pizza; it's just great. It's somewhat more expensive but worth the tariff. Also try the artichoke side.

Melisse: Yesterday was our first foray into "high end" take out. It was $65 per person plus tip. Well worth it. The menu we chose was country roll; tomato soup with strawberry and burrata (the strawberry was interesting; I love tomato soup anyway); lobster bolognese (a substantial dish that was very tasty; we were getting almost full). The main was Liberty duck breast (very good; I really enjoyed what they did with the farro and mushroom risotto—but it was a little curious that they served twice-cooked potatoes and whipped potato on top of the risotto).

The alternate main was filet of beef, which none of us selected.

Wines: 2014 Morlet Ma Princess (had an overpowering nose and palate of toasted coconut, but otherwise a good wine; others liked it better) and 2009 Kosta Browne Gary's Vineyard (which was every enjoyable, nose and palate of ripe strawberry, drink now).

Dessert was lemon toffee crunch—good but I was really full by then.

The group agreed that we would do this again.
Scott Zimmermann

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3270
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1055 Post by Barry L i p t o n » May 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Thanks Scott! Sounds tasty.

Here in the hinter-burbs, no such hi end options.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18908
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1056 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Weird. I thought Melisse announced they were closing for good. Before COVID.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1057 Post by c fu » May 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm
Weird. I thought Melisse announced they were closing for good. Before COVID.
they re opened a couple months ago with a re-focused concept.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

johngonzales
Posts: 8357
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1058 Post by johngonzales » May 23rd, 2020, 9:43 pm

c fu wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm
Weird. I thought Melisse announced they were closing for good. Before COVID.
they re opened a couple months ago with a re-focused concept.
Yep, Josaih opened a two concept place. Citrin is the larger, regular ala carte menu part. Then thee’s a small, fancier, room that is tasting menu only.

Haven’t been to either.

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 832
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1059 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Ongoing frustration: American-Chinese takeaway. Why is it always so shit? Absolutely terrible stuff consistently.

My case in point is my wife, who grew up with a taste for Panda Express. That's her idea of pretty good Chinese-American (to which I can only roll my eyes in silence or else get accused of being a snob). She doesn't like the real or regional Chinese, she wants the familiar stuff. I resist by trying to at least convince her to order the same PX dishes from a "good" Chinese takeaway. And every time we do, it's always worse. Would have been better to go with Panda Express to begin with, which of course fuels my wife's idea that they're actually really good... deadhorse

Surely, there must be a market for an upmarket chain that does Chow Mein, Orange Chicken and other comfort stuff well?
Last edited by Adam Frisch on May 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1060 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Surely, there must be a market for an upmarket chain that does Chow Mein, Orange Chicken and other comfort stuff well?
Isn't that P.F. Chang & Pei Wei? Both are shit imo. It's either you get the real stuff or you go for the Chow Mein / Orange Chicken.
l 3 r t

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 832
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1061 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Isn't that P.F. Chang & Pei Wei? Both are shit imo. It's either you get the real stuff or you go for the Chow Mein / Orange Chicken.
I suppose you're right. Never tried either, actually.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1062 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Isn't that P.F. Chang & Pei Wei? Both are shit imo. It's either you get the real stuff or you go for the Chow Mein / Orange Chicken.
I suppose you're right. Never tried either, actually.
I only had PF Chang at LAX when it was part of Priority Pass lol. I think I tried PW once when I saw a slick deal for 2 meals for $10...

Even then I rather pay for Panda if I was craving that type of American Food. LoL
l 3 r t

J. Rock
Posts: 851
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1063 Post by J. Rock » May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am

PF Chang's isn't going to wow you, but it's WAY better than Panda Express (which I admittedly haven't had for a couple of decade or so).

I just had some local mom and pop Chinese take out (nothing special but scratches the itch) last night following a virtual tasting of 8 Rieslings from 2018 - 1983, and Riesling with the crispy duck was wonderful!
J o r d a n

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1064 Post by Vince L. » May 25th, 2020, 11:34 am

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
PF Chang's isn't going to wow you, but it's WAY better than Panda Express (which I admittedly haven't had for a couple of decade or so).
Let's agree to disagree :)
l 3 r t

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1065 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm

New Moon does a pretty good orange chicken.

I’m an unabashed fan of Panda Express. I think you’d find a lot of Chinese people are fans.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5143
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1066 Post by M.Kaplan » May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm

How about Yang Chow for American Chinese?
---Mark

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1067 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 6:24 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm
How about Yang Chow for American Chinese?
my wife is obsessed with Slippery Shrimp from Yang Chow. I think their food is too sweet for me. Especially at the price. It's really expensive now.

There's a lot of buffet style take out chinese spots in San Gabriel Valley that serve really traditional dishes (rolling wok, yi mei etc) that also do Orange Chicken, but it's never as good as Panda. Ha
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16054
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1068 Post by Craig G » May 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm

I keep checking but Panda Express never has it on the menu.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Curtis Chen
Posts: 1250
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1069 Post by Curtis Chen » May 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
PF Chang's isn't going to wow you, but it's WAY better than Panda Express (which I admittedly haven't had for a couple of decade or so).
Just no. Lol.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

J. Rock
Posts: 851
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1070 Post by J. Rock » May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Guys, you can't even tell what meat Panda Express is using. At least I can tell PF Chang's Mongolian beef has beef in it. I haven't had either for 10 - 20 years, but this is my clear recollection. I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
J o r d a n

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1071 Post by Vince L. » May 25th, 2020, 7:49 pm

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
There's one reason for us to goto Panda. Orange Chicken =)

Nothing comes close.
c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
New Moon does a pretty good orange chicken.
I've had the "Orange Chicken" at New Moon Cafe in DTLA ... its ok but it doesn't hit the spot like Panda does.
l 3 r t

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18908
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1072 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 25th, 2020, 8:25 pm

c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:24 pm
M.Kaplan wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm
How about Yang Chow for American Chinese?
my wife is obsessed with Slippery Shrimp from Yang Chow. I think their food is too sweet for me. Especially at the price. It's really expensive now.

There's a lot of buffet style take out chinese spots in San Gabriel Valley that serve really traditional dishes (rolling wok, yi mei etc) that also do Orange Chicken, but it's never as good as Panda. Ha
I **love** Yang Chow's slippery shrimp. The rest of their menu is a bit ho-hum for me --- nothing terrible, lots of stuff I find "fine," and a few I find "very good." But that slippery shrimp ... flirtysmile

P.S.: thanks for the info on Melisse, Charlie. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1073 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:49 pm
J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
There's one reason for us to goto Panda. Orange Chicken =)

Nothing comes close.
c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
New Moon does a pretty good orange chicken.
I've had the "Orange Chicken" at New Moon Cafe in DTLA ... its ok but it doesn't hit the spot like Panda does.
yeah the DTLA one is just ok. The original new moon in San Marino is really good.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

M. Meer
Posts: 571
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1074 Post by M. Meer » May 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm

The orange chicken at Hop Li on Pico in West LA was pretty boss. The Chinatown one doesn't do it the same. Have to try New Moon in SM...
Mar.kus

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18908
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1075 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 31st, 2020, 10:23 am

Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:35 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am
Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?
Best place near us is Bowl Thai - https://goo.gl/maps/2BysjwY3id1kkxnE7 & their Sister Restaurant Sweet Rice - https://g.page/sweet-rice-gardena?share

I grew up in North Torrance =) and parents currently live around there. I am now MdR/Playa Adjacent.
Tried Bowl Thai last night. Thought it was excellent! Thank you for the rec.! Definitely better than the 2 or 3 closer-to-me Thai spots I've tried.

My wife and I ordered the green curry (when they were out of the panang), papaya salad (when they were out of the beef for the Nam Tok, chicken larb, and the ka-na moo krob. I thought the green curry was good, the ka-na moo krob very good, the papaya salad excellent, and the chicken larb outstanding.

They were "busy" when I arrived to pickup my order around 8:45 p.m. (I was one of maybe 5 to 6 people waiting for their order to be ready), which I took as a good sign --- and this is what I was expecting when it took about 7 phone calls to finally get through to them on the phone, persisting through multiple non-answers and busy signals. My local taco joint is the same way --- they just don't answer the phone when they're busy.

Anyways, I will absolutely be returning to Bowl Thai. [cheers.gif]

p.s.: meal was paired with a 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner - Maximer Longuicher Herrenberg Auslese, which was fantastic. Best sweet Riesling I've had in a while.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1076 Post by Vince L. » May 31st, 2020, 5:40 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 10:23 am
Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:35 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am
Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?
Best place near us is Bowl Thai - https://goo.gl/maps/2BysjwY3id1kkxnE7 & their Sister Restaurant Sweet Rice - https://g.page/sweet-rice-gardena?share

I grew up in North Torrance =) and parents currently live around there. I am now MdR/Playa Adjacent.
Tried Bowl Thai last night. Thought it was excellent! Thank you for the rec.! Definitely better than the 2 or 3 closer-to-me Thai spots I've tried.

My wife and I ordered the green curry (when they were out of the panang), papaya salad (when they were out of the beef for the Nam Tok, chicken larb, and the ka-na moo krob. I thought the green curry was good, the ka-na moo krob very good, the papaya salad excellent, and the chicken larb outstanding.

They were "busy" when I arrived to pickup my order around 8:45 p.m. (I was one of maybe 5 to 6 people waiting for their order to be ready), which I took as a good sign --- and this is what I was expecting when it took about 7 phone calls to finally get through to them on the phone, persisting through multiple non-answers and busy signals. My local taco joint is the same way --- they just don't answer the phone when they're busy.

Anyways, I will absolutely be returning to Bowl Thai. [cheers.gif]

p.s.: meal was paired with a 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner - Maximer Longuicher Herrenberg Auslese, which was fantastic. Best sweet Riesling I've had in a while.
Glad you liked lol.
Also try sweet rice when you have a chance. Same owners but different kind of Thai food.
l 3 r t

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18908
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1077 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 1st, 2020, 8:52 am

I did look at Sweet Rice --- it appeared to be breakfast and desserts only --- is that the situation there, or no?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1078 Post by Vince L. » June 1st, 2020, 12:03 pm

Hmm not really. I went there for lunch but I guess depends on what you define as breakfast. They have rice porridge and eggs but that doesn't mean we eat that for breakfast only.
l 3 r t

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18908
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1079 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 1st, 2020, 12:27 pm

Cool. I was just going off the menu pictures I saw, and the Google description of the place:
"Modern dessert shop specializing in traditional Thai desserts & morning bites, savory or sweet."

I'll definitely check it out sometime! Thank you! [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

User avatar
Philip Liao
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 68
Joined: June 6th, 2020, 8:07 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1080 Post by Philip Liao » June 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm

I always find that the best Chinese American food is actually at the more authentic Chinese restaurants. They always have a few Chinese American dishes in addition to their more authentic/regional fare. And that's how I grew up - at restaurants I would want to order Peking Pork Chop and Walnut Shrimp while my parents would order Fried Intestine or Spicy Poached Chicken. Now I have an appreciation for both and it's only at these places that I can get that more upscale, more authentically flavored Chinese American food. Pretty much all the big hitters have this - Newport Seafood, Beijing Tasty, Mama Lu's, etc...
I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having six. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1081 Post by c fu » June 10th, 2020, 8:53 am

Philip Liao wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm
I always find that the best Chinese American food is actually at the more authentic Chinese restaurants. They always have a few Chinese American dishes in addition to their more authentic/regional fare. And that's how I grew up - at restaurants I would want to order Peking Pork Chop and Walnut Shrimp while my parents would order Fried Intestine or Spicy Poached Chicken. Now I have an appreciation for both and it's only at these places that I can get that more upscale, more authentically flavored Chinese American food. Pretty much all the big hitters have this - Newport Seafood, Beijing Tasty, Mama Lu's, etc...
except orange chicken, I don't know why, but there's not a single Chinese restaurant that can make Orange Chicken well. Walnut shrimp I agree with.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Philip Liao
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 68
Joined: June 6th, 2020, 8:07 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1082 Post by Philip Liao » June 11th, 2020, 6:30 pm

c fu wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:53 am

except orange chicken, I don't know why, but there's not a single Chinese restaurant that can make Orange Chicken well. Walnut shrimp I agree with.
Yeah it's hard to beat Panda orange chicken...is it because Panda:orange chicken like Heinz:ketchup? Have you ever had Trader Ming's orange chicken? Pretty fire lol

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3270
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1083 Post by Barry L i p t o n » June 11th, 2020, 7:02 pm

I thought it was made with Orange Hi-C. But haven’t tried it in 55 years.

User avatar
ki punwar
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1035
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Malibu Adjacent

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1084 Post by ki punwar » June 15th, 2020, 7:47 am

I like the Orange chicken at Green Apple in Studio City. Not fancy but great service, no fuss and the owner is always there. Wonder if it’s open now...
ITB

J. Rock
Posts: 851
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1085 Post by J. Rock » June 15th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Does anyone know where I can get some good roasted or braised lamb (e.g., leg, shank, ossobuco) in the Valley or Westside? I'm thinking French or Italian, but as long as it would pair well with Syrah, I think I'd be happy.
J o r d a n

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2342
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1086 Post by G. Greenbaum » June 17th, 2020, 9:42 am

ki punwar wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 7:47 am
I like the Orange chicken at Green Apple in Studio City. Not fancy but great service, no fuss and the owner is always there. Wonder if it’s open now...
Coincidently, we ordered from them last weekend. So, yeah they're open.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 788
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1087 Post by Jeff_M. » June 18th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Hummus Labs in Pasadena is a brand new Lebanese restaurant that I’ve been to now a few times. Great kabobs, filet mignon, beef kafta and chicken with fresh hummus. The owner runs occasional hummus specials for different hummus flavors. All the hummus is made fresh daily. The pita chips he makes are BOMB!! The owner Joe has done a few tastings with me before COVID hit us.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5143
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1088 Post by M.Kaplan » June 19th, 2020, 1:39 pm

c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
New Moon does a pretty good orange chicken.

I’m an unabashed fan of Panda Express. I think you’d find a lot of Chinese people are fans.
---Mark

M. Meer
Posts: 571
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1089 Post by M. Meer » June 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Hummus Labs in Pasadena is a brand new Lebanese restaurant that I’ve been to now a few times. Great kabobs, filet mignon, beef kafta and chicken with fresh hummus. The owner runs occasional hummus specials for different hummus flavors. All the hummus is made fresh daily. The pita chips he makes are BOMB!! The owner Joe has done a few tastings with me before COVID hit us.
The proteins were cooked just right (had chicken and salmon). Chips and the various dips good accents to the mains. Flavors are clean and that rice tho! Solid and about as good as anything in Glendale.
Mar.kus

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 788
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1090 Post by Jeff_M. » June 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm

M. Meer wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Hummus Labs in Pasadena is a brand new Lebanese restaurant that I’ve been to now a few times. Great kabobs, filet mignon, beef kafta and chicken with fresh hummus. The owner runs occasional hummus specials for different hummus flavors. All the hummus is made fresh daily. The pita chips he makes are BOMB!! The owner Joe has done a few tastings with me before COVID hit us.
The proteins were cooked just right (had chicken and salmon). Chips and the various dips good accents to the mains. Flavors are clean and that rice tho! Solid and about as good as anything in Glendale.
He did a lamb chop special on Saturday and pre-sold them all during the week. I am hearing he is going to do shawarma soon as well. He didn't have this to start since he opened his restaurant the week of the XO to shut everything down.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

M. Meer
Posts: 571
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1091 Post by M. Meer » June 23rd, 2020, 3:29 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm

He did a lamb chop special on Saturday and pre-sold them all during the week. I am hearing he is going to do shawarma soon as well. He didn't have this to start since he opened his restaurant the week of the XO to shut everything down.
Nice. In for all that plus anything fried!
Mar.kus

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1092 Post by c fu » June 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
M. Meer wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Hummus Labs in Pasadena is a brand new Lebanese restaurant that I’ve been to now a few times. Great kabobs, filet mignon, beef kafta and chicken with fresh hummus. The owner runs occasional hummus specials for different hummus flavors. All the hummus is made fresh daily. The pita chips he makes are BOMB!! The owner Joe has done a few tastings with me before COVID hit us.
The proteins were cooked just right (had chicken and salmon). Chips and the various dips good accents to the mains. Flavors are clean and that rice tho! Solid and about as good as anything in Glendale.
He did a lamb chop special on Saturday and pre-sold them all during the week. I am hearing he is going to do shawarma soon as well. He didn't have this to start since he opened his restaurant the week of the XO to shut everything down.
nice thanks for this
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 788
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1093 Post by Jeff_M. » June 24th, 2020, 7:21 am

c fu wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm
M. Meer wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm


The proteins were cooked just right (had chicken and salmon). Chips and the various dips good accents to the mains. Flavors are clean and that rice tho! Solid and about as good as anything in Glendale.
He did a lamb chop special on Saturday and pre-sold them all during the week. I am hearing he is going to do shawarma soon as well. He didn't have this to start since he opened his restaurant the week of the XO to shut everything down.
nice thanks for this
No problem. I am told there will be 13-15 count colossal shrimp kabobs next week, possibly on Thursday. Cumin lime hummus as the daily special.

The owner is a wine drinker and collector. He's all for after hours local tastings once Covid subsides or there's a vaccine.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 788
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1094 Post by Jeff_M. » June 25th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4658
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1095 Post by T. Altmayer » June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
Tom

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1096 Post by Frank Z » June 26th, 2020, 7:36 am

T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
I heard that the chef came from Daniel and the GM came from Auburn. Very excited for this and will be dining there tonight.
Frank Zhang

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4658
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1097 Post by T. Altmayer » June 26th, 2020, 9:21 am

Frank Z wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:36 am
T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
I heard that the chef came from Daniel and the GM came from Auburn. Very excited for this and will be dining there tonight.
I’ve heard very good things so far, we had friends who did take-out twice from them and loved it. We ordered a dessert for Fathers Day from them and it was excellent.
Tom

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 498
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1098 Post by Frank Z » June 26th, 2020, 10:07 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:21 am
Frank Z wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:36 am
T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
I heard that the chef came from Daniel and the GM came from Auburn. Very excited for this and will be dining there tonight.
I’ve heard very good things so far, we had friends who did take-out twice from them and loved it. We ordered a dessert for Fathers Day from them and it was excellent.
Just got back from nearly a 4-hour meal at Perle tonight. I felt very fortunate to be able to dine in at the restaurant, especially seeing the number of groups they had to turn away at the door. Overall, the food was excellent, flavors were on point, and plating was nice (soup was poured at the table). Some standouts were the charcuterie board, which had a impressive variety of meats, as well as the chocolate soufflé, which had the perfect rich and gooey center and was served with some vanilla bean ice cream.

One thing that I noticed was that the service was still slightly slow and disjointed, given that several of the normal waitstaff were not available. For example, the tables were not fully cleared after courses, the soup was served without spoons present, and the soufflé was served with forks. With that being said, we had a lovely conversation with the bartender (who was our server tonight given the bar is not fully open yet), the sommelier (who was brought in from a different restaurant), as well as the GM.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that they are still getting in the hang of answering their phones. I had reached out via email as well as called them 5 times throughout the day, including right before I left for the restaurant, to inquire regarding corkage; however, they did not answer their phone lines, and I did not receive an email response until I arrived at the restaurant with my bottle. If anyone's wondering, the corkage fee at Perle is $35 (for the first bottle at least). I drank a Vice Versa Platt Vineyard Chardonnay 2017 with my meal and it paired very nicely with its uplifting acidity.

Overall, I'm really happy that Pasadena finally has a French inspired restaurant open. It was a nice reminder of my time in France earlier this year, and I can't wait to be back! Highly recommend.
Frank Zhang

Vince L.
Posts: 299
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1099 Post by Vince L. » June 26th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Sorry but am I the only who feels this way?

I am amazed by people's urge to eat out at a proper restaurant that even with the news that COVID cases are rising and you're complaining about a spoon vs a fork?

Incredible people's priorities these days.
l 3 r t

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31886
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1100 Post by c fu » June 26th, 2020, 11:05 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
the menu looks so typical pasadena. Really basic french food. Miso Salmon, Coq au vin, steak frites.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”