Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Vince L.

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1051 Post by Vince L. » May 12th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Looks like Rustic Canyon is now open for Take Out through Tock. And 25% off their wines.

Anyone spot any good deals :)
l e r t

G. Greenbaum

#1052 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Regards,
Gregg

ITB

johngonzales

#1053 Post by johngonzales » May 14th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I like what Alta Adams is doing. They have a prix fine meal for $35.
But they are also offering a simpler meal that is “pay what you can”. The full price is $20, but one can just pay what they can. It’s a cool thing to offer to help the community.
The Palm actually has some nice discounted stuff.

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1054 Post by SZZimmermann » May 23rd, 2020, 11:54 am

Take out near or in Santa Monica:

Pizzana: This has become my favorite place for pizza; it's just great. It's somewhat more expensive but worth the tariff. Also try the artichoke side.

Melisse: Yesterday was our first foray into "high end" take out. It was $65 per person plus tip. Well worth it. The menu we chose was country roll; tomato soup with strawberry and burrata (the strawberry was interesting; I love tomato soup anyway); lobster bolognese (a substantial dish that was very tasty; we were getting almost full). The main was Liberty duck breast (very good; I really enjoyed what they did with the farro and mushroom risotto—but it was a little curious that they served twice-cooked potatoes and whipped potato on top of the risotto).

The alternate main was filet of beef, which none of us selected.

Wines: 2014 Morlet Ma Princess (had an overpowering nose and palate of toasted coconut, but otherwise a good wine; others liked it better) and 2009 Kosta Browne Gary's Vineyard (which was every enjoyable, nose and palate of ripe strawberry, drink now).

Dessert was lemon toffee crunch—good but I was really full by then.

The group agreed that we would do this again.
Scott Zimmermann

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1055 Post by Barry L i p t o n » May 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

Thanks Scott! Sounds tasty.

Here in the hinter-burbs, no such hi end options.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1056 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Weird. I thought Melisse announced they were closing for good. Before COVID.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1057 Post by c fu » May 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm
they re opened a couple months ago with a re-focused concept.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

johngonzales

#1058 Post by johngonzales » May 23rd, 2020, 9:43 pm

c fu wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:02 pm
May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm
they re opened a couple months ago with a re-focused concept.
Yep, Josaih opened a two concept place. Citrin is the larger, regular ala carte menu part. Then thee’s a small, fancier, room that is tasting menu only.

Haven’t been to either.

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1059 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Ongoing frustration: American-Chinese takeaway. Why is it always so shit? Absolutely terrible stuff consistently.

My case in point is my wife, who grew up with a taste for Panda Express. That's her idea of pretty good Chinese-American (to which I can only roll my eyes in silence or else get accused of being a snob). She doesn't like the real or regional Chinese, she wants the familiar stuff. I resist by trying to at least convince her to order the same PX dishes from a "good" Chinese takeaway. And every time we do, it's always worse. Would have been better to go with Panda Express to begin with, which of course fuels my wife's idea that they're actually really good... deadhorse

Surely, there must be a market for an upmarket chain that does Chow Mein, Orange Chicken and other comfort stuff well?
Last edited by Adam Frisch on May 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.

#1060 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Surely, there must be a market for an upmarket chain that does Chow Mein, Orange Chicken and other comfort stuff well?
Isn't that P.F. Chang & Pei Wei? Both are shit imo. It's either you get the real stuff or you go for the Chow Mein / Orange Chicken.
l e r t

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1061 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Isn't that P.F. Chang & Pei Wei? Both are shit imo. It's either you get the real stuff or you go for the Chow Mein / Orange Chicken.
I suppose you're right. Never tried either, actually.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.

#1062 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I suppose you're right. Never tried either, actually.
I only had PF Chang at LAX when it was part of Priority Pass lol. I think I tried PW once when I saw a slick deal for 2 meals for $10...

Even then I rather pay for Panda if I was craving that type of American Food. LoL
l e r t

J. Rock

#1063 Post by J. Rock » May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am

PF Chang's isn't going to wow you, but it's WAY better than Panda Express (which I admittedly haven't had for a couple of decade or so).

I just had some local mom and pop Chinese take out (nothing special but scratches the itch) last night following a virtual tasting of 8 Rieslings from 2018 - 1983, and Riesling with the crispy duck was wonderful!
J o r d a n

Vince L.

#1064 Post by Vince L. » May 25th, 2020, 11:34 am

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
PF Chang's isn't going to wow you, but it's WAY better than Panda Express (which I admittedly haven't had for a couple of decade or so).
Let's agree to disagree :)
l e r t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1065 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm

New Moon does a pretty good orange chicken.

I’m an unabashed fan of Panda Express. I think you’d find a lot of Chinese people are fans.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1066 Post by M.Kaplan » May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm

How about Yang Chow for American Chinese?
---Mark

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1067 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 6:24 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm
my wife is obsessed with Slippery Shrimp from Yang Chow. I think their food is too sweet for me. Especially at the price. It's really expensive now.

There's a lot of buffet style take out chinese spots in San Gabriel Valley that serve really traditional dishes (rolling wok, yi mei etc) that also do Orange Chicken, but it's never as good as Panda. Ha
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1068 Post by Craig G » May 25th, 2020, 6:33 pm

I keep checking but Panda Express never has it on the menu.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

C Chen

#1069 Post by C Chen » May 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
Just no. Lol.
CT: C Chen

J. Rock

#1070 Post by J. Rock » May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Guys, you can't even tell what meat Panda Express is using. At least I can tell PF Chang's Mongolian beef has beef in it. I haven't had either for 10 - 20 years, but this is my clear recollection. I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
J o r d a n

Vince L.

#1071 Post by Vince L. » May 25th, 2020, 7:49 pm

J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
There's one reason for us to goto Panda. Orange Chicken =)

Nothing comes close.
c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
I've had the "Orange Chicken" at New Moon Cafe in DTLA ... its ok but it doesn't hit the spot like Panda does.
l e r t

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1072 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 25th, 2020, 8:25 pm

c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:24 pm
M.Kaplan wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 3:50 pm
my wife is obsessed with Slippery Shrimp from Yang Chow. I think their food is too sweet for me. Especially at the price. It's really expensive now.

There's a lot of buffet style take out chinese spots in San Gabriel Valley that serve really traditional dishes (rolling wok, yi mei etc) that also do Orange Chicken, but it's never as good as Panda. Ha
I **love** Yang Chow's slippery shrimp. The rest of their menu is a bit ho-hum for me --- nothing terrible, lots of stuff I find "fine," and a few I find "very good." But that slippery shrimp ... flirtysmile

P.S.: thanks for the info on Melisse, Charlie. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1073 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:49 pm
J. Rock wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I don't think there's a reason to go to either Los Angeles.
There's one reason for us to goto Panda. Orange Chicken =)

Nothing comes close.
c fu wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
I've had the "Orange Chicken" at New Moon Cafe in DTLA ... its ok but it doesn't hit the spot like Panda does.
yeah the DTLA one is just ok. The original new moon in San Marino is really good.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

M. Meer

#1074 Post by M. Meer » May 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm

The orange chicken at Hop Li on Pico in West LA was pretty boss. The Chinatown one doesn't do it the same. Have to try New Moon in SM...
Mar.kus

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1075 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 31st, 2020, 10:23 am

Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:35 am
April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am
Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?
Best place near us is Bowl Thai - https://goo.gl/maps/2BysjwY3id1kkxnE7 & their Sister Restaurant Sweet Rice - https://g.page/sweet-rice-gardena?share

I grew up in North Torrance =) and parents currently live around there. I am now MdR/Playa Adjacent.
Tried Bowl Thai last night. Thought it was excellent! Thank you for the rec.! Definitely better than the 2 or 3 closer-to-me Thai spots I've tried.

My wife and I ordered the green curry (when they were out of the panang), papaya salad (when they were out of the beef for the Nam Tok, chicken larb, and the ka-na moo krob. I thought the green curry was good, the ka-na moo krob very good, the papaya salad excellent, and the chicken larb outstanding.

They were "busy" when I arrived to pickup my order around 8:45 p.m. (I was one of maybe 5 to 6 people waiting for their order to be ready), which I took as a good sign --- and this is what I was expecting when it took about 7 phone calls to finally get through to them on the phone, persisting through multiple non-answers and busy signals. My local taco joint is the same way --- they just don't answer the phone when they're busy.

Anyways, I will absolutely be returning to Bowl Thai. [cheers.gif]

p.s.: meal was paired with a 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner - Maximer Longuicher Herrenberg Auslese, which was fantastic. Best sweet Riesling I've had in a while.

Vince L.

#1076 Post by Vince L. » May 31st, 2020, 5:40 pm

May 31st, 2020, 10:23 am
Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:35 am
April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am
Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?
Best place near us is Bowl Thai - https://goo.gl/maps/2BysjwY3id1kkxnE7 & their Sister Restaurant Sweet Rice - https://g.page/sweet-rice-gardena?share

I grew up in North Torrance =) and parents currently live around there. I am now MdR/Playa Adjacent.
Tried Bowl Thai last night. Thought it was excellent! Thank you for the rec.! Definitely better than the 2 or 3 closer-to-me Thai spots I've tried.

My wife and I ordered the green curry (when they were out of the panang), papaya salad (when they were out of the beef for the Nam Tok, chicken larb, and the ka-na moo krob. I thought the green curry was good, the ka-na moo krob very good, the papaya salad excellent, and the chicken larb outstanding.

They were "busy" when I arrived to pickup my order around 8:45 p.m. (I was one of maybe 5 to 6 people waiting for their order to be ready), which I took as a good sign --- and this is what I was expecting when it took about 7 phone calls to finally get through to them on the phone, persisting through multiple non-answers and busy signals. My local taco joint is the same way --- they just don't answer the phone when they're busy.

Anyways, I will absolutely be returning to Bowl Thai. [cheers.gif]

p.s.: meal was paired with a 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner - Maximer Longuicher Herrenberg Auslese, which was fantastic. Best sweet Riesling I've had in a while.
Glad you liked lol.
Also try sweet rice when you have a chance. Same owners but different kind of Thai food.
l e r t

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1077 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 1st, 2020, 8:52 am

I did look at Sweet Rice --- it appeared to be breakfast and desserts only --- is that the situation there, or no?

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”