ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1002 Post by c fu » February 17th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Ramon C wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm
French bistro recommendations, anybody? Nothing ultra fancy or high brow or stuffy, but a + if byob allowed and welcomed. Don't want to drive or uber too far, looking to stay near the beaches (Manhattan to Redondo).

Thanks in advance and apologies if already provided in one of the thread pages, t l t r.

Ramon
Closest to you is in Santa Monica. Pasjoli. Good stuff. Prob 20minutes away
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Ramon C

#1003 Post by Ramon C » February 18th, 2020, 3:20 am

c fu wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Ramon C wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm
French bistro recommendations, anybody? Nothing ultra fancy or high brow or stuffy, but a + if byob allowed and welcomed. Don't want to drive or uber too far, looking to stay near the beaches (Manhattan to Redondo).

Thanks in advance and apologies if already provided in one of the thread pages, t l t r.

Ramon
Closest to you is in Santa Monica. Pasjoli. Good stuff. Prob 20minutes away
Looks good. Thanks.
@brera

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1004 Post by M.Kaplan » February 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

Ramon, You might want to check out MB Post, in Manhattan Beach. Not French bistro (SoCal is lacking in true French bistros), but fresh and fun California bistro. And wine friendly.
---Mark

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1005 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 18th, 2020, 11:19 am

Yeah I guess République, petit trois, a food affair, not sure what others.

Ramon C

#1006 Post by Ramon C » February 18th, 2020, 12:31 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:17 am
Ramon, You might want to check out MB Post, in Manhattan Beach. Not French bistro (SoCal is lacking in true French bistros), but fresh and fun California bistro. And wine friendly.
Thanks, Mark. Checked it online and it looks good and within where/what I would want. I should have added in my original note that Cali-style bistros are good with me too.

Given that I'm presuming (for now) that I'm solo, it looks that I can swing it to most of therse restaurants without reservations, or at very least make a call before heading out to make sure they can accomodate.
@brera

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1007 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Went to Costa in Manhattan beach last week. Thought it excellent, but a touch pricey. Will go back.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1008 Post by Peter Simpson » February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Chez Melange in Redondo Beach can be very hit or miss, but the bar would be good for solo dining.
Cheers, Peter

G. Greenbaum

#1009 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 12th, 2020, 7:39 am

Just got an email that Lucques is closing. What an incredible run and success they had. Suzanne Goin trained many of the chefs we have come to love in LA. Her food (and cookbook) are classics. Caroline Styne exposed us to wines from places many had not experienced. I have great memories of celebrations with friends and family. I'm definitely going back.

It is with tremendous sadness and emotion that we announce today that after almost 21 years we will be closing our beloved restaurant Lucques.

Lucques has lived a long and wonderful life and become far more than the sum of its parts. We are so proud of what we have accomplished which was way beyond our wildest imagination when we opened our doors at 8474 Melrose Avenue on September 25, 1998. We could not have anticipated the immeasurable love and dedication that grew over time for a place that we both just wanted to feel like the restaurant WE always wanted to go to.

From the hundreds of cherished employees past and present to the relationships we developed with farmers, vintners, chefs and purveyors locally and around the globe to the magical, unexpected and multiple awards from the James Beard Foundation, we could never have dreamed it.

Through our two decades at Lucques, we have seen many engagements, marriages, family celebrations and children born. We have seen our own families form and grow. The highlight of it all has been beyond food, wine, service and atmosphere---it has been the relationships we have built with so many people who have come through our doors and lived their lives within the four walls of our first-born restaurant. We cherish those memories and they will live forever in our hearts.

Our last day of service to the public will be Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Until then Lucques will continue to offer lunch, dinner and bar service as well as Sunday Suppers, Easter Dinner and the upcoming Chi Spacca Cookbook Dinner with Nancy Silverton on April 26, 2020.

During that time, we will be featuring old favorites and Lucques classics like bluefish wrapped in pancetta, suckling pig, chorizo-stuffed lamb leg and churros y chocolat in addition to Suzanne’s latest spring menu which begins today.

We’re looking forward to the coming weeks as a chance to celebrate Lucques and we hope that you will come in and see us---to enjoy a meal and raise a glass to the incredible years we have had with our staff, friends and family.

Yours Sincerely,

Caroline and Suzanne
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1010 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Peter Simpson wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Chez Melange in Redondo Beach can be very hit or miss, but the bar would be good for solo dining.

Unfortunately, Chez Melange is closed as well. The last day, after 37 years, was February 29th.

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1011 Post by Peter Simpson » March 15th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Peter Simpson wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, Chez Melange is closed as well. The last day, after 37 years, was February 29th.

Cheers!
Marshall
My wife and I actually went in the first month after it opened, IIRC it was located in the Plush Pony hotel back then. Such a shame it shut down, although the proprietor was certainly getting on in years, and for sure it's a long time since it was one of our favorite restaurants in the South Bay.
Cheers, Peter

J. Rock

#1012 Post by J. Rock » March 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Sounds like this forum will be quiet for the next couple of weeks, at least...
J o r d a n

johngonzales

#1013 Post by johngonzales » March 24th, 2020, 9:00 am

J. Rock wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm
Sounds like this forum will be quiet for the next couple of weeks, at least...
Hey, you can get a take-out tasting menu, bento-style, from N/naka for $39.

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1014 Post by Glen Gold » March 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

Had a great pizza from Triple Beam a couple nights ago. Take out only, masks and gloves. No hashmarks denoting six feet but the few folks who showed up managed to suss it out themselves. We tipped, a lot. And then a lot again. And afterward, 6:30 at night, I did a uturn on Sunset without even needing to brake. We popped a 2013 L'aventure Estate Cuvée that had strong enough acids to even handle the oil and vinegar dressing on the greek salad.

G. Greenbaum

#1015 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 24th, 2020, 11:36 am

So today is the #thegreatamericantakeout. Personally, I want to support my local restaurants. I'm also concerned about sanitary conditions, especially workers and transmission concerns as we know so little about infection and transmission. What are others thoughts?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1016 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:36 am
So today is the #thegreatamericantakeout. Personally, I want to support my local restaurants. I'm also concerned about sanitary conditions, especially workers and transmission concerns as we know so little about infection and transmission. What are others thoughts?
This is a pretty good article from a respected source.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html

G. Greenbaum

#1017 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 24th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Great info. Thanks Sarah.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1018 Post by c fu » March 24th, 2020, 1:44 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
Anajak thai in Sherman Oaks (awesome spot) wears gloves/masks while cooking/serving. I'm kinda put off by the places that aren't. Fortunately I live the SGV where almost all the Asian restaurants are wearing gloves/masks while preparing your food and not allowing people to loiter in the restaurant waiting around.

Even panda express!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

J. Rock

#1019 Post by J. Rock » March 25th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm
G. Greenbaum wrote:
This is a pretty good article from a respected source.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html
Thanks for this article. It's great! This makes me feel better about ordering from the local sushi spot (The Brothers Sushi in Woodland Hills is great and is doing delivery and curbside pickup).
J o r d a n

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1020 Post by M.Kaplan » March 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm

We are ordering takeout/delivery almost every night from local restaurants because we like their food and want to support them. Bruce Marder’s Capo/Rooster/Brentwood, Vincenti, Pizzana, Jon & Vinny’s, Bandera, California Chicken Cafe, Belcampo, Milo & Olive, Lodge Bread, Bombay Frankie, and others.
---Mark

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”