GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1101 Post by T. Altmayer » June 26th, 2020, 11:16 pm

c fu wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 11:05 pm
T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
the menu looks so typical pasadena. Really basic french food. Miso Salmon, Coq au vin, steak frites.
I wonder if they changed it because the menu they first posted was a bit different. There was no Coq au vin. They had a duck and veggies in Aspic Jelly and the salads had chicken liver, etc. Maybe they panicked and went more traditional for the opening.
Tom

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1102 Post by Frank Z » June 27th, 2020, 6:31 am

Vince L. wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:17 pm
Sorry but am I the only who feels this way?

I am amazed by people's urge to eat out at a proper restaurant that even with the news that COVID cases are rising and you're complaining about a spoon vs a fork?

Incredible people's priorities these days.
Thank you for your thoughts, and I respect your opinion. However, I do think that service is an integral part of the meal, especially when dining in. Otherwise, why not just stick to take out food then?

To provide some more details, we were seated in the corner table away at the very front of the restaurant away from the main dining area. The meal should not have lasted nearly 4 hours (probably 2.5 hours was average for other tables that were seated at the same time as us) if they were more observant and had more wait staff working. I wouldn’t call this complaining, but I just wanted to point these small things out in my review, especially since by the time I asked someone to bring us spoons, the fish soup had already become cold. I hope you would agree that 1. it isn’t proper to drink soup by lifting the bowl directly, and that 2. soup should be served warm.

If I truly wanted to complain - I would have complained about the corkage to the GM. If I had knew about corkage prior to arriving at the restaurant, I would have brought a different bottle. However, given that I fully understand that during these uncertain times, a lot of things are still up in the air, I recognize that they’re doing the best they can.

Ultimately, bottom line, I enjoyed the meal and was able to connect with the wait staff, and thus I look forward to returning.
Frank Zhang

Philip Liao

#1103 Post by Philip Liao » June 27th, 2020, 9:20 am

c fu wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 11:05 pm
T. Altmayer wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Perle, a new French restaurant just opened in Pasadena and I’ve heard good things about the Chef. We badly need a good French restaurant on this side of town.
the menu looks so typical pasadena. Really basic french food. Miso Salmon, Coq au vin, steak frites.
Yeah the menu seems a little early 2000's, a la Balthazar. But if it's done right, bistro cuisine is always welcome, especially since not much great bistros/brasseries in LA. Steak frites, sole meunier - that's what people want. Doubt many people would even try something like andouillette. This just makes me want to go back to France, but Americans are banned....Le sigh.

M. Meer

#1104 Post by M. Meer » June 30th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Any opinions on Fishwives?
TIA.
Mar.kus

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1105 Post by c fu » June 30th, 2020, 10:16 pm

M. Meer wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Any opinions on Fishwives?
TIA.
it's aight. i've been a few times. Their seafood is fine. The cooking is kinda simple. But we don't really have a ton of options in the area for that type of food. Very wine friendly tho!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

M. Meer

#1106 Post by M. Meer » July 1st, 2020, 12:15 pm

c fu wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:16 pm

it's aight. i've been a few times. Their seafood is fine. The cooking is kinda simple. But we don't really have a ton of options in the area for that type of food. Very wine friendly tho!
Aha, many thanks. Will give it a try and tread carefully through the menu.

Wish we had something like Bar Crudo.
Mar.kus

J. Rock

#1107 Post by J. Rock » July 1st, 2020, 6:02 pm

I just had Dialogue's 7 course (plus a slice of ridiculously amazing cheesecake) summer prologue tasting menu and was blown away. I expected the food to taste great, but wasn't really sure how their concept would translate to takeout. Not only was the food generally incredible, but you could tell that the staff put so much thought into the menu and specifically how to execute it very well in a takeout format. My wife and I were really impressed and I highly recommend trying this out if you're in the mood for something that's a bit more sophisticated than your traditional takeout.
J o r d a n

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1108 Post by Peter Simpson » July 1st, 2020, 7:26 pm

Talking about Pasadena, my wife's sister lives in Sierra Madre, and every time we visit her we have dinner at Altaeats on Allen Drive on the East side of Pasadena. Probably eaten there half a dozen times over the last year or two and never been disappointed. Curbside pickup only currently.

https://altaeats.com/menu Their Beef Wellington is fantastic!
Cheers, Peter

Philip Liao

#1109 Post by Philip Liao » July 3rd, 2020, 10:20 am

Benny P wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 5:58 pm
A little off the beaten path but there's Babita restaurant in San Gabriel about 10 or so miles east of Downtown LA if craving elevated Mexican food. It's been awhile so not sure how it is these days, but a change of pace from the various taco shops and more casual restaurants in the area.
Babita is a gem - great little Mexican/French bistro drawing from Sinaloa, Mexico City, and California. Love the Chiles en Nogada with pomegranate, beef cheek barbacoa, and habanero shrimp, but everything is pretty good. They also have a nice wine list with a lot of Valle de Guadalupe. Flavors remind me of Maximo Bistrot in CDMX but less hip. It's really just honest cooking from Chef Roberto.

johngonzales

#1110 Post by johngonzales » July 7th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Philip Liao wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 10:20 am
Benny P wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 5:58 pm
A little off the beaten path but there's Babita restaurant in San Gabriel about 10 or so miles east of Downtown LA if craving elevated Mexican food. It's been awhile so not sure how it is these days, but a change of pace from the various taco shops and more casual restaurants in the area.
Babita is a gem - great little Mexican/French bistro drawing from Sinaloa, Mexico City, and California. Love the Chiles en Nogada with pomegranate, beef cheek barbacoa, and habanero shrimp, but everything is pretty good. They also have a nice wine list with a lot of Valle de Guadalupe. Flavors remind me of Maximo Bistrot in CDMX but less hip. It's really just honest cooking from Chef Roberto.
Good summary, though I don’t think “French” really fits at all. It’s pretty much elevated Mexican, meaning just a bit of Euro technique. I LOVE the Chile’s en Nogada there. We’ve tried our best to replicate. They often don’t have it, in which case I lean toward a shrimp dish. Roberto likes some good tequila.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”