ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#1002 Post by c fu » February 17th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Ramon C wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm
French bistro recommendations, anybody? Nothing ultra fancy or high brow or stuffy, but a + if byob allowed and welcomed. Don't want to drive or uber too far, looking to stay near the beaches (Manhattan to Redondo).

Thanks in advance and apologies if already provided in one of the thread pages, t l t r.

Ramon
Closest to you is in Santa Monica. Pasjoli. Good stuff. Prob 20minutes away
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Ramon C

#1003 Post by Ramon C » February 18th, 2020, 3:20 am

c fu wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Ramon C wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm
French bistro recommendations, anybody? Nothing ultra fancy or high brow or stuffy, but a + if byob allowed and welcomed. Don't want to drive or uber too far, looking to stay near the beaches (Manhattan to Redondo).

Thanks in advance and apologies if already provided in one of the thread pages, t l t r.

Ramon
Closest to you is in Santa Monica. Pasjoli. Good stuff. Prob 20minutes away
Looks good. Thanks.
@brera

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1004 Post by M.Kaplan » February 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

Ramon, You might want to check out MB Post, in Manhattan Beach. Not French bistro (SoCal is lacking in true French bistros), but fresh and fun California bistro. And wine friendly.
---Mark

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1005 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » February 18th, 2020, 11:19 am

Yeah I guess République, petit trois, a food affair, not sure what others.

Ramon C

#1006 Post by Ramon C » February 18th, 2020, 12:31 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:17 am
Ramon, You might want to check out MB Post, in Manhattan Beach. Not French bistro (SoCal is lacking in true French bistros), but fresh and fun California bistro. And wine friendly.
Thanks, Mark. Checked it online and it looks good and within where/what I would want. I should have added in my original note that Cali-style bistros are good with me too.

Given that I'm presuming (for now) that I'm solo, it looks that I can swing it to most of therse restaurants without reservations, or at very least make a call before heading out to make sure they can accomodate.
@brera

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1007 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Went to Costa in Manhattan beach last week. Thought it excellent, but a touch pricey. Will go back.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1008 Post by Peter Simpson » February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Chez Melange in Redondo Beach can be very hit or miss, but the bar would be good for solo dining.
Cheers, Peter

G. Greenbaum

#1009 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 12th, 2020, 7:39 am

Just got an email that Lucques is closing. What an incredible run and success they had. Suzanne Goin trained many of the chefs we have come to love in LA. Her food (and cookbook) are classics. Caroline Styne exposed us to wines from places many had not experienced. I have great memories of celebrations with friends and family. I'm definitely going back.

It is with tremendous sadness and emotion that we announce today that after almost 21 years we will be closing our beloved restaurant Lucques.

Lucques has lived a long and wonderful life and become far more than the sum of its parts. We are so proud of what we have accomplished which was way beyond our wildest imagination when we opened our doors at 8474 Melrose Avenue on September 25, 1998. We could not have anticipated the immeasurable love and dedication that grew over time for a place that we both just wanted to feel like the restaurant WE always wanted to go to.

From the hundreds of cherished employees past and present to the relationships we developed with farmers, vintners, chefs and purveyors locally and around the globe to the magical, unexpected and multiple awards from the James Beard Foundation, we could never have dreamed it.

Through our two decades at Lucques, we have seen many engagements, marriages, family celebrations and children born. We have seen our own families form and grow. The highlight of it all has been beyond food, wine, service and atmosphere---it has been the relationships we have built with so many people who have come through our doors and lived their lives within the four walls of our first-born restaurant. We cherish those memories and they will live forever in our hearts.

Our last day of service to the public will be Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Until then Lucques will continue to offer lunch, dinner and bar service as well as Sunday Suppers, Easter Dinner and the upcoming Chi Spacca Cookbook Dinner with Nancy Silverton on April 26, 2020.

During that time, we will be featuring old favorites and Lucques classics like bluefish wrapped in pancetta, suckling pig, chorizo-stuffed lamb leg and churros y chocolat in addition to Suzanne’s latest spring menu which begins today.

We’re looking forward to the coming weeks as a chance to celebrate Lucques and we hope that you will come in and see us---to enjoy a meal and raise a glass to the incredible years we have had with our staff, friends and family.

Yours Sincerely,

Caroline and Suzanne
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1010 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Peter Simpson wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Chez Melange in Redondo Beach can be very hit or miss, but the bar would be good for solo dining.

Unfortunately, Chez Melange is closed as well. The last day, after 37 years, was February 29th.

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1011 Post by Peter Simpson » March 15th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Peter Simpson wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, Chez Melange is closed as well. The last day, after 37 years, was February 29th.

Cheers!
Marshall
My wife and I actually went in the first month after it opened, IIRC it was located in the Plush Pony hotel back then. Such a shame it shut down, although the proprietor was certainly getting on in years, and for sure it's a long time since it was one of our favorite restaurants in the South Bay.
Cheers, Peter

J. Rock

#1012 Post by J. Rock » March 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Sounds like this forum will be quiet for the next couple of weeks, at least...
J o r d a n

johngonzales

#1013 Post by johngonzales » March 24th, 2020, 9:00 am

J. Rock wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm
Sounds like this forum will be quiet for the next couple of weeks, at least...
Hey, you can get a take-out tasting menu, bento-style, from N/naka for $39.

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1014 Post by Glen Gold » March 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

Had a great pizza from Triple Beam a couple nights ago. Take out only, masks and gloves. No hashmarks denoting six feet but the few folks who showed up managed to suss it out themselves. We tipped, a lot. And then a lot again. And afterward, 6:30 at night, I did a uturn on Sunset without even needing to brake. We popped a 2013 L'aventure Estate Cuvée that had strong enough acids to even handle the oil and vinegar dressing on the greek salad.

G. Greenbaum

#1015 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 24th, 2020, 11:36 am

So today is the #thegreatamericantakeout. Personally, I want to support my local restaurants. I'm also concerned about sanitary conditions, especially workers and transmission concerns as we know so little about infection and transmission. What are others thoughts?
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#1016 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:36 am
So today is the #thegreatamericantakeout. Personally, I want to support my local restaurants. I'm also concerned about sanitary conditions, especially workers and transmission concerns as we know so little about infection and transmission. What are others thoughts?
This is a pretty good article from a respected source.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html

G. Greenbaum

#1017 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 24th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Great info. Thanks Sarah.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#1018 Post by c fu » March 24th, 2020, 1:44 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:
Anajak thai in Sherman Oaks (awesome spot) wears gloves/masks while cooking/serving. I'm kinda put off by the places that aren't. Fortunately I live the SGV where almost all the Asian restaurants are wearing gloves/masks while preparing your food and not allowing people to loiter in the restaurant waiting around.

Even panda express!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

J. Rock

#1019 Post by J. Rock » March 25th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 12:23 pm
G. Greenbaum wrote:
This is a pretty good article from a respected source.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/foo ... guide.html
Thanks for this article. It's great! This makes me feel better about ordering from the local sushi spot (The Brothers Sushi in Woodland Hills is great and is doing delivery and curbside pickup).
J o r d a n

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1020 Post by M.Kaplan » March 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm

We are ordering takeout/delivery almost every night from local restaurants because we like their food and want to support them. Bruce Marder’s Capo/Rooster/Brentwood, Vincenti, Pizzana, Jon & Vinny’s, Bandera, California Chicken Cafe, Belcampo, Milo & Olive, Lodge Bread, Bombay Frankie, and others.
---Mark

johngonzales

#1021 Post by johngonzales » March 29th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Nate & Al’s deli shuttered for good today.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1022 Post by Robert Dentice » March 30th, 2020, 5:14 am

johngonzales wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 9:58 pm
They have clarified that it is not for good.

Andrew S.

#1023 Post by Andrew S. » March 30th, 2020, 9:47 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 5:14 am
johngonzales wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 9:58 pm
They have clarified that it is not for good.

Beverly Hills has appeared to be a difficult landlord. Nate 'n Al's was supposed to move into the vacant Wolfgang's space one block over - and that has apparently fallen through. I would doubt the city would want to be the ones responsible for Nate 'n Al's closing given everything - especially as they've never filled Thomas Keller's space (for various reasons). As investors have plunked good change into keeping it going, we can only hope it's back later this year.

johngonzales

#1024 Post by johngonzales » March 30th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Good, maybe they’ll reopen. I’d imagine many places intend to “make the right decision” and hope to continue operations/tradition. Seems like they’re publicly negotiating with the city. Considering the circumstances, I guess everyone has to take desperately measures at this time.

I spoke to a couple of my neighborhood favorites, and their landlords aren’t offering any relief. Considering that I live in an area where replacement tenants, especially restaurants, aren’t a breeze to find ; it might not be smart to adopt a hardest line.

G. Greenbaum

#1025 Post by G. Greenbaum » March 31st, 2020, 4:21 pm

Gjusta had an employee test + for C-19. Just what I was fearing and with the recent surge and expected peak in April, I'm less likely to order take out.
https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020 ... y-covid-19
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

johngonzales

#1026 Post by johngonzales » April 14th, 2020, 7:38 am

Damn! One of the great donuts anywhere was the apple fritter from Stan’s.
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/10/21216543 ... es-classic

Gonna have to do a multiple restaurant takeout Thai food feast:
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/13/21219346 ... oronavirus

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1027 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 16th, 2020, 6:17 am

Dang! Never knew Hollywood Blvd. is basically Thai Row.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

johngonzales

#1028 Post by johngonzales » April 16th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Some wholesalers doing public business:
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/14/21219338 ... -fish-meat

Vince L.

#1029 Post by Vince L. » April 16th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 6:17 am
Dang! Never knew Hollywood Blvd. is basically Thai Row.
johngonzales wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 7:38 am
Gonna have to do a multiple restaurant takeout Thai food feast:
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/13/21219346 ... oronavirus
I've been to most of those growing up in LA and being Thai, I can vouch that these are legit and good.
  • Luv2Eat
  • Pa Ord
  • Siam Sunset
  • Wat Dong Moon Lek
  • Sapp Coffee Shop
Luv2Eat & Wat Dong Moon Lek are more Hipster while Siam Sunset/Sapp is where you'll more likely run into a Thai Family eating. Pa Ord is in-between.

Wish it wasn't a 40m Drive from where I live.
l e r t

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1030 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am

Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1031 Post by Glen Gold » April 17th, 2020, 2:46 am

This is a list of the restaurants in LA that have converted to public stores. You can order off their menu or get pantry items from them, and it looks like new places are being added all the time: http://kelseystefanson.com/lageneralstores/

Vince L.

#1032 Post by Vince L. » April 17th, 2020, 8:35 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 12:08 am
Thanks for posting, Vince. And you and I are in the same boat, with me about as south in Torrance as one can go. Embarrassment of Japanese riches in my area, though. Have not yet found an excellent Thai spot near us, but still looking! Where are you located?
Best place near us is Bowl Thai - https://goo.gl/maps/2BysjwY3id1kkxnE7 & their Sister Restaurant Sweet Rice - https://g.page/sweet-rice-gardena?share

I grew up in North Torrance =) and parents currently live around there. I am now MdR/Playa Adjacent.
l e r t

johngonzales

#1033 Post by johngonzales » April 17th, 2020, 8:41 am

I never thought I’d say it, but jumping in the car and cruising the open roads is actually a nice diversion these days. Luv2eat fairly could have its crowd termed “more hipster” but the food is REALLY good. Also agree that Sapp is o.g. and really good too.

It’s actually kind of interesting how quite a few neighborhoods in L.A. have a shortage of good Thai or Chinese food.

Vince L.

#1034 Post by Vince L. » April 17th, 2020, 8:52 am

Luv2Eat allows the use of credit cards ... come on.

Not included on that list but places i visit regularly are:
  • Rodded
  • Yai
I hope those two make it when this is over, as I crave Duck Noodle Soup & nowhere else does it as well as Rodded
l e r t

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1035 Post by M.Kaplan » April 17th, 2020, 9:59 am

No love for Kris Yenbamroong/Night + Market? I am a big fan of his cooking.
---Mark

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1036 Post by Adam Frisch » April 17th, 2020, 11:36 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 9:59 am
Love the food. The setting can be a little too hipster, but the food is great.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

J. Rock

#1037 Post by J. Rock » April 17th, 2020, 11:45 am

I haven't had a TON of Thai food around town, but Night + Market is my favorite. I can't get enough of those crispy duck rolls.
J o r d a n

Vince L.

#1038 Post by Vince L. » April 17th, 2020, 11:58 am

Adam Frisch wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:36 am
M.Kaplan wrote:
Been there once many years ago in WeHo. Agreed on the hipster part, but my biggest gripe is the pricing. They were charging what other places now charge for food which to me was like I dont see the value. It's not that much better yet why are you putting a 30%+ premium.
l e r t

Eric Michels

#1039 Post by Eric Michels » April 17th, 2020, 1:31 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
After a visit a year or so ago we were completely puzzled by the great reputation that this place has developed, though we've admittedly only been the one time (because we couldn't imagine wanting to go back). Not only is it a really unpleasant room (waits, noise, cramped tables, service acts as though they are doing a favor by showing up at all) but the food just wasn't very good. Given all the other great Thai places within 15 minutes of this spot I truly can't work out why it is so popular.

G. Greenbaum

#1040 Post by G. Greenbaum » April 18th, 2020, 9:47 am

Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:58 am
Adam Frisch wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:36 am
M.Kaplan wrote:
Been there once many years ago in WeHo. Agreed on the hipster part, but my biggest gripe is the pricing. They were charging what other places now charge for food which to me was like I dont see the value. It's not that much better yet why are you putting a 30%+ premium.
This. I've been to the Night Market Song twice and after dropping $80 for 2, I thought WTF am I doing here if TT is so close.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1041 Post by alan weinberg » April 18th, 2020, 10:46 am

tangential but Orange County’s Water Grill has a really cool social distancing pop up market. Just got prime dry aged porterhouse, scallops, sea bass, halibut, clam chowder, amazing produce . . .

M. Meer

#1042 Post by M. Meer » April 18th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:52 am

I hope those two make it when this is over, as I crave Duck Noodle Soup & nowhere else does it as well as Rodded
Will have to try that. Torung was my spot for DNS.
Mar.kus

Vince L.

#1043 Post by Vince L. » April 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm

M. Meer wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 4:44 pm
Vince L. wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:52 am

Will have to try that. Torung was my spot for DNS.
Torung is not bad but when you've gone to Rodded for 20+ years you kinda have a favorite.
What's funny was we went there once and left a 375ml of prosecco (Gift from wedding) on accident. when we returned a month later the owner was like, oh you left this here last time.

flirtysmile

the best
l e r t

M. Meer

#1044 Post by M. Meer » April 19th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Vince L. wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 5:30 pm

What's funny was we went there once and left a 375ml of prosecco (Gift from wedding) on accident. when we returned a month later the owner was like, oh you left this here last time.

flirtysmile

the best
That's pretty cool of them. Always nice to go where you're appreciated
Mar.kus

G. Greenbaum

#1045 Post by G. Greenbaum » April 29th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Another victim of the times. Wish I would have made it to Bon Temps.
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/29/21241888 ... oronavirus
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Justin S

#1046 Post by Justin S » April 30th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Auburn also closed.

Had some very memorable meals at both Bon Temps (including picking up pastries on weekends) and Auburn.
$ ! n g h

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1047 Post by Robert Dentice » April 30th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Justin S wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Auburn also closed.

Had some very memorable meals at both Bon Temps (including picking up pastries on weekends) and Auburn.
I was shocked by Auburn. Had one very promising meal there early on.

Just talked to a major LA restaurant owner this past weekend and he said he is hearing a number of high profile restaurants are not going to reopen. So far he is right.

We have not seen this yet in NYC.

J. Rock

#1048 Post by J. Rock » April 30th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Damn, I really wanted to go to Auburn. I hope we don't lose too many more top restaurants. I'll do my part and pick up some Dialogue and Vespertine.
J o r d a n

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1049 Post by T. Altmayer » May 1st, 2020, 8:40 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Another victim of the times. Wish I would have made it to Bon Temps.
https://la.eater.com/2020/4/29/21241888 ... oronavirus
Ugh, that was on my list right before the shutdown.
Tom

johngonzales

#1050 Post by johngonzales » May 2nd, 2020, 2:55 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Justin S wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Auburn also closed.

I was shocked by Auburn. Had one very promising meal there early on.

Just talked to a major LA restaurant owner this past weekend and he said he is hearing a number of high profile restaurants are not going to reopen. So far he is right.

We have not seen this yet in NYC.
My wife sells wine to restaurants. It is going to be ugly, starting soon. The L.A. mayor and the governor are both hinting at a further delay for restaurants AND some stringent restrictions. Cutting allowed capacity by 50% or more makes it almost impossible to prosper. Seeing the prospects for the next six months will have a bunch of places just call it a day. Same with bars. Places were holding on to see how fast it would end and how much financial relief they might get. The recent news has been bad on both fronts.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”