Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 641
Joined: November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Location: South OC, CA & Franklin, TN
Contact:

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#801 Post by SeanHarding » June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I REALLY like Taco Maria, but at the same time, I have always thought it somewhat overrated, first by Jonathan Gold, and now by Michelin.

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#802 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm

G. Keeler wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Some interesting choices for the stars. Taco Maria with a star? I really like it there and have been going regularly from the start but don't see how it's 1 star and a place like Majordomo is not. Also was just up in SF and went to Al's Place which has a star. Good food in an extremely casual (which I liked) environment. Again, if Al's Place is one star, Marjordomo, Bavel, etc should all have a star.
I agree that their ratings, especially at the 1 star (and no star) level seem very, very inconsistent.
J o r d a n

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 296
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#803 Post by G. Keeler » June 4th, 2019, 5:08 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm
I REALLY like Taco Maria, but at the same time, I have always thought it somewhat overrated, first by Jonathan Gold, and now by Michelin.
Same. While I always enjoy it, I think if they mixed up their pre-fix menu more they could take it to the next level. I feel like the past 4-5 times I've had a very similar menu which is now a bit tired.
G L E N N

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#804 Post by c fu » June 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:34 am
In NYC Michelin Stars have almost zero impact on a restaurants success. Starred restaurants close all of the time. A small restaurant I frequent told me they get far more business from a 2 minute video that eater did and my instagram posts than from their Michelin star. Another small 1 star that closed said the lack of NY Times review killed them and the star helped very little.

As for the LA Stars it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The biggest omission is Yamakase.

Also I think Majordomo deserved a star.
I was talking to Richard today @MD and they didn't think they'd get a star because the restaurant is too big and too casual. They strive for excellent service (which they give) and were hoping that'd push them over the top, but it seems Michelin just flat out ignored all of the "casual fine family style" dining that has made LA important in the dining scene (other than Rustic canyon which has to be a nod to Fox) like Republique, Bestia, Bavel, Domo etc.

Like Fred said, they seem to have a template they are following. Tasting menus are of the upmost importance or be japanese food (and one against Rustic Canyon stands out for being neither & CUT/Bistro Na).

It doesn't seem like Michelin has had an immediate impact. Kato still has wide open reservations, same as Taco Maria, Maude, Le Comptoir etc etc.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#805 Post by J. Rock » June 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Do you guys think Cut is better than Spago? I think Cut is an exceptional steakhouse, but I think Spago (the tasting menu) offers a much better dining experience.
J o r d a n

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#806 Post by c fu » June 4th, 2019, 10:02 pm

J. Rock wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Do you guys think Cut is better than Spago? I think Cut is an exceptional steakhouse, but I think Spago (the tasting menu) offers a much better dining experience.
I think Cut is a great steakhouse but I think Spago is a shell of its former self. Not sure why Cut gets a star and I'm totally fine with Spago having none. If food alone, i'd rather eat at Cut than Spago any day of the week.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18200
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#807 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 5th, 2019, 12:05 am

Maude has wide-open reservations?!? Damn. I've been wanting to go there for awhile ---- just haven't made the time. Sounds like now is as good a time as ever. Anyone know their corkage policy offhand?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#808 Post by J. Rock » June 5th, 2019, 12:52 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:05 am
Maude has wide-open reservations?!? Damn. I've been wanting to go there for awhile ---- just haven't made the time. Sounds like now is as good a time as ever. Anyone know their corkage policy offhand?
I was just there for their Sonoma menu. Free corkage if you bring a bottle from the region that the menu is inspired by (not sure on the limit). I thought it was very good (and probably the best duck I've had [which says a lot]), but I generally found it to be less exciting and excellent that other tasting menus in town (although, maybe I'd like another one of their menus more).
J o r d a n

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1879
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#809 Post by Robert Dentice » June 5th, 2019, 2:09 am

c fu wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 9:31 pm

It doesn't seem like Michelin has had an immediate impact. Kato still has wide open reservations, same as Taco Maria, Maude, Le Comptoir etc etc.
And I am sure Bavel is still packed!

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4916
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#810 Post by M.Kaplan » June 5th, 2019, 9:45 am

And Felix still sells out 30 days in advance.

I agree generally with Andy Wang's point of view: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/los-an ... t-reaction
---Mark

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#811 Post by c fu » June 5th, 2019, 11:01 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:45 am
And Felix still sells out 30 days in advance.

I agree generally with Andy Wang's point of view: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/los-an ... t-reaction
I disagree with his point that there should be a starred mexican, korean, thai restaurant just because we have a large hub for it here.

The worst thing michelin did was provide separate standards for Southeast Asia compared to the rest of the world. They gave hawker stands, casual places Michelin stars purely for shock value. So people in LA expected that the great casual hawker like places we have would hopefully get anointed as well.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

johngonzales
Posts: 7607
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#812 Post by johngonzales » June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Maybe Michelin got screwed by Feliz like we did. Played their month ahead reservation game for a group dinner on a friend's Saturday birthday. They canceled on us via voicemail the night before the reservation leaving us to try and scramble for another plan. No offer of a guarantee on another day, a comp, follow-up call, NADA. They won't answer their phone or email so I couldn't even let them know my displeasure.

I think the list is ok, and not a surprise. Michelin isn't going to use a different formula for L.A. , and shouldn't. It is what it is and usable when knowing their sweetspot.
I thought L.A. might get a three-star. Most likely being N/naka, or Urasawa. Especially with their real bias for Japanese food.
I love Providence. Been there 15 times. It totally deserves to be up there with the twos. Especially with the bias toward wine/service and "pure" foods.
I don't love Psago, but it''s still a one.
Really, my biggest complaint is that they didn't view our strengths and give more Bibs for ethnic stuff.

julianseersmartin
Posts: 380
Joined: February 27th, 2018, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#813 Post by julianseersmartin » June 6th, 2019, 9:02 am

johngonzales wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Maybe Michelin got screwed by Feliz like we did. Played their month ahead reservation game for a group dinner on a friend's Saturday birthday. They canceled on us via voicemail the night before the reservation leaving us to try and scramble for another plan. No offer of a guarantee on another day, a comp, follow-up call, NADA. They won't answer their phone or email so I couldn't even let them know my displeasure.
That is truly awful on their part.

johngonzales
Posts: 7607
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#814 Post by johngonzales » June 6th, 2019, 10:31 am

julianseersmartin wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:02 am
johngonzales wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Maybe Michelin got screwed by Feliz like we did. Played their month ahead reservation game for a group dinner on a friend's Saturday birthday. They canceled on us via voicemail the night before the reservation leaving us to try and scramble for another plan. No offer of a guarantee on another day, a comp, follow-up call, NADA. They won't answer their phone or email so I couldn't even let them know my displeasure.
That is truly awful on their part.
Most likely bumped for some celebrity.

p@ulbortin
Posts: 847
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#815 Post by p@ulbortin » June 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:02 pm
I REALLY like Taco Maria, but at the same time, I have always thought it somewhat overrated, first by Jonathan Gold, and now by Michelin.
This. Left there wondering about the hype and not really worth the long commute.

p@ulbortin
Posts: 847
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#816 Post by p@ulbortin » June 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Kass - good for corkage wine dinners.

Alta - I really liked everything we tried here even if the ridiculously stingy fried chicken was way too expensive it had great flavor. Loved the Ox Tail.

Slab - generous meaty ribs marred by the cloyingly sweet sauce that it is bbqed with. The key here is to manage the side sauces to balance out the sweetness.

Adam G
Posts: 392
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#817 Post by Adam G » June 9th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Had dinner at BOA in Santa Monica last night. Steaks are still excellent. Corkage is less than I remember - $25. All the other stuff we had was also great except the morel sauce for steak (a sweet and sticky mess) and the Brussels sprouts were not my thing (not charred, and remained kind of bitter).
A. Gr0ssm@n

johngonzales
Posts: 7607
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#818 Post by johngonzales » June 10th, 2019, 8:58 am

I really liked Kass. It’s not a typical wine bar, and more restaurant. The menu is more like a standard menu, with not just small snacks things, but some basic entrees. The wine list is decent, corkage reasonable and friendly, and the somm gave us excellent wine service.

We go to Alta quite a bit. Where we live (Baldwin Hills) is a food desert locally. So Alta is a welcome addition within 2 miles. It’s not particularly inventive, and not what I would consider excellent+, but it’s really solid. The oxtails, macncheese, fresh fish of the day, chickpea fritters, and coconut cake are all really good. As posted, the fried chicken is pricey, but it is quite good.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#819 Post by c fu » June 18th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Angler opened today at the Beverly Center (hate that location). The food is fantastic if you're a seafood lover. Very well prepared with an eye to simple preparations. Highly recommend
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 695
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#820 Post by Glen Gold » June 18th, 2019, 10:25 pm

c fu wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 9:46 pm
Angler opened today at the Beverly Center (hate that location). The food is fantastic if you're a seafood lover. Very well prepared with an eye to simple preparations. Highly recommend
Oh, good. I hit Farmhouse every time I go to Largo, and while I love that place I've been hoping for a good seafood spot.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2857
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#821 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 7th, 2019, 12:25 am

Going to the Broad,

which is recommended - Otium or Water Grill across the street? (I love fish).

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
Posts: 2794
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#822 Post by Marshall Gelb » July 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm

c fu wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Benny P wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
c fu wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 10:00 am
I went to Auburn this week.

Great service. Private room is amazing - feels like you're in a living room. Food visually is impressive, the plating is great.

Flavor wise.. i wish it popped and sometimes the flavors kinda conflict.

One example

There's a hamachi crudo dish with celery and strawberry. THe strawberries were (purposely?) underripe and the oil was a celery oil with a high amount of citric acid, so the dish was really mouth puckering sour.
I've had this on my to-do list since it opened and thank you for your thoughts. Did you do the 4, 6, or 9 course meal option? I typically always want to get the larger number of courses, however, my wife always advocates the lower number of courses so curious on their portion sizing.

Also, do you know if they had a corkage fee? Thanks!
9. But the table doesn’t have to commit to the same thing which I found interesting. Some portions are much larger, like the asparagus and razor clams was a fairly substantial dish, same as the turnip and bonito. Others were pretty small.

It’s a grid of 12 dishes and you can mix and match. So you and your wife can do 2 6 courses and get every dish.

I believe corkage is $50 btl.

We did the 9. Before tip and after tax our bill was $245.

I don’t believe they charged us for every bottle opened which was nice of them.
I definitely want to try Auburn. I don’t even mind the $50 corkage.... no problem whatsoever. Unfortunately, the website shows a progressive fee of $75 for the third bottle and $100 for the fourth. What do people think of that as it makes things harder for a big group.

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#823 Post by c fu » July 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm
c fu wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Benny P wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm


I've had this on my to-do list since it opened and thank you for your thoughts. Did you do the 4, 6, or 9 course meal option? I typically always want to get the larger number of courses, however, my wife always advocates the lower number of courses so curious on their portion sizing.

Also, do you know if they had a corkage fee? Thanks!
9. But the table doesn’t have to commit to the same thing which I found interesting. Some portions are much larger, like the asparagus and razor clams was a fairly substantial dish, same as the turnip and bonito. Others were pretty small.

It’s a grid of 12 dishes and you can mix and match. So you and your wife can do 2 6 courses and get every dish.

I believe corkage is $50 btl.

We did the 9. Before tip and after tax our bill was $245.

I don’t believe they charged us for every bottle opened which was nice of them.
I definitely want to try Auburn. I don’t even mind the $50 corkage.... no problem whatsoever. Unfortunately, the website shows a progressive fee of $75 for the third bottle and $100 for the fourth. What do people think of that as it makes things harder for a big group.

Cheers!
Marshall
If you contact them they’ll work it out.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

slada
Posts: 153
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#824 Post by slada » July 8th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Hi heading down to LA for a few days-
Have dinners lined up at Felix and majordomo
These looks byo friendly

But we love pastries and are a little spoiled by the SF bakery scene (arsicault [worship.gif] )

Best bakery in LA?!?
cheers, sam lada

johngonzales
Posts: 7607
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#825 Post by johngonzales » July 8th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm
c fu wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Benny P wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm


I've had this on my to-do list since it opened and thank you for your thoughts. Did you do the 4, 6, or 9 course meal option? I typically always want to get the larger number of courses, however, my wife always advocates the lower number of courses so curious on their portion sizing.

Also, do you know if they had a corkage fee? Thanks!
9. But the table doesn’t have to commit to the same thing which I found interesting. Some portions are much larger, like the asparagus and razor clams was a fairly substantial dish, same as the turnip and bonito. Others were pretty small.

It’s a grid of 12 dishes and you can mix and match. So you and your wife can do 2 6 courses and get every dish.

I believe corkage is $50 btl.

We did the 9. Before tip and after tax our bill was $245.

I don’t believe they charged us for every bottle opened which was nice of them.
I definitely want to try Auburn. I don’t even mind the $50 corkage.... no problem whatsoever. Unfortunately, the website shows a progressive fee of $75 for the third bottle and $100 for the fourth. What do people think of that as it makes things harder for a big group.

Cheers!
Marshall

I think we might have discusse it on the Fourth. They can obviously do whatever they want. That said I think it’s weird and not real encouraging for our crowd. Especially as you say, for four or six. Maybe a CF says, they’ll work it out. We probably have some connection.

I just think that it isn’t consistent with the price of their list or their pairings. I do understand that they are trying to steer toward pairings. $50 is swallowable. Unless they have an incredibly deep aged list, I really think $50 ought to be a max. The “best” (or most expensive) wine on the list is a 2013 Heitz Trailside Cab for $300. I guess cab drinker = whale. The rest of the list might be interesting but it’s somewhat esoteric, typically in the $45-75 range, and not particularly aged.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 296
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#826 Post by G. Keeler » July 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm

slada wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Hi heading down to LA for a few days-
Have dinners lined up at Felix and majordomo
These looks byo friendly

But we love pastries and are a little spoiled by the SF bakery scene (arsicault [worship.gif] )

Best bakery in LA?!?
republique
G L E N N

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1879
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#827 Post by Robert Dentice » July 9th, 2019, 7:08 am

slada wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Hi heading down to LA for a few days-
Have dinners lined up at Felix and majordomo
These looks byo friendly

But we love pastries and are a little spoiled by the SF bakery scene (arsicault [worship.gif] )

Best bakery in LA?!?
Well probably not what you want to here coming from SF but Tartine is pretty good.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4916
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#828 Post by M.Kaplan » July 9th, 2019, 9:37 am

My favorite bakeries are Lodge and Gjusta.
---Mark

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2272
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#829 Post by G. Greenbaum » July 9th, 2019, 11:40 am

Lodge and Gjusta bake outstanding breads. The best pastries in the city, imho, are at Proof. They rival Tartine.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

slada
Posts: 153
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#830 Post by slada » July 9th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Thanks all- we will try a couple!
cheers, sam lada

J. Rock
Posts: 360
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#831 Post by J. Rock » July 11th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 12:25 am
Going to the Broad,

which is recommended - Otium or Water Grill across the street? (I love fish).
I admittedly haven't been to Otium, but would be excited to go. I haven't been to WG in years, but when I went I thought the raw and chilled selection and execution was great, but the cooked seafood I had didn't particularly "wow" me. If it were me, I'd definitely go to Otium unless I just wanted oysters / shellfish tower etc. I'd pick a lot of DTLA restaurants over Water Grill (unless I specifically wanted raw/chilled seafood).
J o r d a n

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2857
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#832 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 12th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Thanks. If it was dinner, I'd definitely do Otium, but at brunch the fish is very limited (trout). I'm not a big brunch type (eggs in mole sauce for example). Dinner they have 5 types.

Water grill has halibut, so I'm leaning that way. I would definitely choose elsewhere downtown, but I'm going to the Broad Museum and don't want to move the car.

Has anyone been to Otium or perhaps Water Grill more recently.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#833 Post by c fu » July 12th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Thanks. If it was dinner, I'd definitely do Otium, but at brunch the fish is very limited (trout). I'm not a big brunch type (eggs in mole sauce for example). Dinner they have 5 types.

Water grill has halibut, so I'm leaning that way. I would definitely choose elsewhere downtown, but I'm going to the Broad Museum and don't want to move the car.

Has anyone been to Otium or perhaps Water Grill more recently.
Yes to both. There’s a fair number of seafood appetizers at otium. But if you love fish just go to watergrill.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2857
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#834 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 12th, 2019, 9:11 pm

c fu wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Thanks. If it was dinner, I'd definitely do Otium, but at brunch the fish is very limited (trout). I'm not a big brunch type (eggs in mole sauce for example). Dinner they have 5 types.

Water grill has halibut, so I'm leaning that way. I would definitely choose elsewhere downtown, but I'm going to the Broad Museum and don't want to move the car.

Has anyone been to Otium or perhaps Water Grill more recently.
Yes to both. There’s a fair number of seafood appetizers at otium. But if you love fish just go to watergrill.
Thanks for the tips!

User avatar
Jerry Hey
Posts: 1287
Joined: January 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#835 Post by Jerry Hey » July 14th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Oitum a year or so ago had disgustingly loud music. So much so I don't remember a thing I ate or even the good wines I brought. We couldn't even talk to our friends - we just ate and got out

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2857
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#836 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 14th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Water Grill did the trick. A healthy meal of salad and nice halibut with a few oysters to start. Not particularly special but guilt free

David Cooper
Posts: 1004
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#837 Post by David Cooper » July 15th, 2019, 8:59 am

I have been to Otium twice this year. Yes the room had a lot going on and was loud. The music was electronic and not unpleasant. It was no louder then Majordomo. I loved our dinner there. We took a peak in the kitchen from the back entrance by the WCs and it was dead quiet.

The second time, I was alone and ate on the Patio, I love the setting and the pasta I had was exceptional. I know nothing about Water Grill.

johngonzales
Posts: 7607
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#838 Post by johngonzales » July 15th, 2019, 11:15 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Water Grill did the trick. A healthy meal of salad and nice halibut with a few oysters to start. Not particularly special but guilt free
Plus they are corkage-friendly.

On the music front, we went to Spago last night. Did the DineLA tasting menu of about 8 courses. Very good btw. It didn’t bother me, but the modern re-done version of Spago, at one point harm Led Zeppelin (at a beyond backdrop volume) as one dined. I love Zep, but it was different. Music seems a little more in place at Otium, but their’s IS relatively loud and then it combines with the noise of the room.

Also did the Charcoal DineLA with the Gelbs. Another good choice.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1879
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#839 Post by Robert Dentice » July 17th, 2019, 11:58 am

Quick weekend in LA

Majordomo - Best meal out of approximately 10. A new Salmon Donburi dish is excellent. I rolled up at 8:30 on Saturday night with 7 people, several wines and no reservation. And they made it work. Food and service was excellent. They really appreciate regulars and people who are passionate about food and wine.

Here's Looking at You - Needed a place to take my picky niece for brunch. It was ok. Service terrible. The Avocado toast was 1/4 a normal portion yet the Ham steak was enough to feed 5 people. The server said she no longer tells guests that certain dishes are intended for sharing because they get mad when the dishes arrive and they think they are too small. We also ordered a still and sparking water and they were about to pour one of each for a table of 5.

Bavel - At long last I finally went to Bavel. I never really thought Bestia was that good and hated the hype so I was in no rush to go to Bavel. The food was ok. The quail particularly good. The scene was as I expected. Wine service was great and they were very gracious about the wine we bought. I personally don't think it is better than Kismet. And I know it is not the same type of cuisine but my meal in SF at State Bird the next night was on an entirely different level.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#840 Post by c fu » July 17th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 11:58 am
Quick weekend in LA

Majordomo - Best meal out of approximately 10. A new Salmon Donburi dish is excellent. I rolled up at 8:30 on Saturday night with 7 people, several wines and no reservation. And they made it work. Food and service was excellent. They really appreciate regulars and people who are passionate about food and wine.

Here's Looking at You - Needed a place to take my picky niece for brunch. It was ok. Service terrible. The Avocado toast was 1/4 a normal portion yet the Ham steak was enough to feed 5 people. The server said she no longer tells guests that certain dishes are intended for sharing because they get mad when the dishes arrive and they think they are too small. We also ordered a still and sparking water and they were about to pour one of each for a table of 5.

Bavel - At long last I finally went to Bavel. I never really thought Bestia was that good and hated the hype so I was in no rush to go to Bavel. The food was ok. The quail particularly good. The scene was as I expected. Wine service was great and they were very gracious about the wine we bought. I personally don't think it is better than Kismet. And I know it is not the same type of cuisine but my meal in SF at State Bird the next night was on an entirely different level.
Domo treats regulars very well & wine lovers to boot. Best wine service in the city. That salmon dish is awesome.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18200
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#841 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » July 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Just had a nice dinner at Redbird.

Rabbit pasta dish was insane. Duck course was laughably small. Pork course was laughably big. Both tasted good. Fun space.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18200
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#842 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » July 19th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Next night had a superb meal at Trois Mec.

One course (Santa Barbara prawn) terribly over-salted. Everything else was very good at worst, to absolutely awesome, at best. Sat at the bar, which was interesting in a good way. Will go back.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4244
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#843 Post by T. Altmayer » July 19th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm
Just had a nice dinner at Redbird.

Rabbit pasta dish was insane. Duck course was laughably small. Pork course was laughably big. Both tasted good. Fun space.
Redbird is underrated IMO.
Tom

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18200
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#844 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » July 20th, 2019, 11:13 am

I would go back to Redbird, but would probably focus on the pastas and starters. We also had a pasta with goat that was very nice, and paired well with a 20 yo Malescot.

Ash and I used to be big fans of Grace, so we're happy to see Neal Fraser doing his thing in L.A. once again.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2857
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#845 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 21st, 2019, 10:44 am

johngonzales wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 11:15 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Water Grill did the trick. A healthy meal of salad and nice halibut with a few oysters to start. Not particularly special but guilt free
Plus they are corkage-friendly.

On the music front, we went to Spago last night. Did the DineLA tasting menu of about 8 courses. Very good btw. It didn’t bother me, but the modern re-done version of Spago, at one point harm Led Zeppelin (at a beyond backdrop volume) as one dined. I love Zep, but it was different. Music seems a little more in place at Otium, but their’s IS relatively loud and then it combines with the noise of the room.

Also did the Charcoal DineLA with the Gelbs. Another good choice.
Yes, corkage friendly as in $0 corkage fee! Brought a half bottle of Billaud Simon 2012 Monte de Tonnerre for lunch.

Good to hear about Spago. The DineLA menu looks great but I had hesitated because my last meal there was pedestrian. Will be trying AOC's dineLA menu tonight.

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
Posts: 2794
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#846 Post by Marshall Gelb » July 22nd, 2019, 8:48 am

We had another excellent meal at DAMA......consistently excellent and interesting food and wonderful service.

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2272
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#847 Post by G. Greenbaum » July 22nd, 2019, 9:08 am

PSA: CORKAGE website. I've been using this with good results. Seems to be accurate.
https://byoblikeaboss.com/
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 349
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 10:51 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#848 Post by fred o. » July 22nd, 2019, 11:20 pm

had a great meal at Angler recently. I was inspired to visit after listening to David Chang's podcast with Josh Skenes, and reading some of the recent articles about how Josh Skenes left Saison. Hard to distill him down to a simple characterization, Josh Skenes seems singularly complex, still unsure about what he wants for his food and his restaurants beyond his long-term goal of the Skenes ranch, lol. Whereas David Chang seemed impatient and more immediately goal-focused for his food/restaurants, I interpreted Josh Skenes as being more conflicted, more uneasy with where he's at with his food evolution, still figuring things out, which is both fascinating and challenging.

For Angler, I think what he mentioned about sourcing local, high-quality ingredients still holds true. The ambition behind the restaurant is striking, and I think masked by multiple factors, the location being only one component of those. The wine list is deep and well-thought-out (our sommelier, Floreana, was especially gracious and helpful), and the dishes, especially the vegetable dishes, are deep, perhaps deeper than they have to be, as David Chang seems to bemoan. I personally thought the smoky mushroom dish was the highlight, with its balance and complexity of flavor, including the buffalo-style sauce. The embered blood beet dish was a standout but seemed incomplete; the complexity of flavor was amazing, it tasted like the most amazing barbecued meat, but it was lacking some acidity/brightness. If they made it into a full-fledged entree and completed it with something like a cole slaw or pickle, it would be perfect to my taste.

All this to say that I think Angler deserves a visit, and deserves more support, especially from people on this board. I hope it does well, and that people can recognize the effort and skill behind its food, and wine/drinks. Besides the dishes I mentioned, I loved the desserts, and the aged amaro list, and so many other parts of the experience. I saw some posts about an off-menu whole pork shoulder, for example. Hope to see others' feedback on the restaurant/concept.
0k

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 279
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#849 Post by Adam Frisch » July 23rd, 2019, 7:15 am

The Exchange in the Freehand Hotel DT is a great Israeli restaurant. Service was a bit too hipster chummy when I was there, but food excellent.

Also, another vote for APL Steakhouse. Over-priced perhaps, but great steaks. I'd still rather go to Musso's at half the price when people come to visit town (more of an experience), but for a good business dinner APL is a good spot.

Another one I really have to recommend is Rosaline on Melrose. It's tragically hip, and the bearded bartender royally screwed up by misplacing my card somewhere whilst trying to act like a mixology pro and just coming off as a clueless pretender. But the seafood paella I had with the wife was out of this world! Like, the best I've ever had even compared to Spain. And our waitress was a pro. I decided to splash on a SQN skin-contact Viognier that was insanely expensive, but it kind of just reaffirmed that I don't really get SQN. But that paella was worth it all, I'm telling you.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#850 Post by c fu » July 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

fred o. wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 11:20 pm
had a great meal at Angler recently. I was inspired to visit after listening to David Chang's podcast with Josh Skenes, and reading some of the recent articles about how Josh Skenes left Saison. Hard to distill him down to a simple characterization, Josh Skenes seems singularly complex, still unsure about what he wants for his food and his restaurants beyond his long-term goal of the Skenes ranch, lol. Whereas David Chang seemed impatient and more immediately goal-focused for his food/restaurants, I interpreted Josh Skenes as being more conflicted, more uneasy with where he's at with his food evolution, still figuring things out, which is both fascinating and challenging.

For Angler, I think what he mentioned about sourcing local, high-quality ingredients still holds true. The ambition behind the restaurant is striking, and I think masked by multiple factors, the location being only one component of those. The wine list is deep and well-thought-out (our sommelier, Floreana, was especially gracious and helpful), and the dishes, especially the vegetable dishes, are deep, perhaps deeper than they have to be, as David Chang seems to bemoan. I personally thought the smoky mushroom dish was the highlight, with its balance and complexity of flavor, including the buffalo-style sauce. The embered blood beet dish was a standout but seemed incomplete; the complexity of flavor was amazing, it tasted like the most amazing barbecued meat, but it was lacking some acidity/brightness. If they made it into a full-fledged entree and completed it with something like a cole slaw or pickle, it would be perfect to my taste.

All this to say that I think Angler deserves a visit, and deserves more support, especially from people on this board. I hope it does well, and that people can recognize the effort and skill behind its food, and wine/drinks. Besides the dishes I mentioned, I loved the desserts, and the aged amaro list, and so many other parts of the experience. I saw some posts about an off-menu whole pork shoulder, for example. Hope to see others' feedback on the restaurant/concept.
I loved angler, went twice. Don't love driving to where it's located though, which might stop some people from going if you're not from around the area. Seems they dropped the prices already on the menu twice

I don't understand the vocal hatred by people on the interwebs of it being a mall restaurant though. We have no problem with shopping center restaurants, restaurants in skid row.. but a mall is where the line is drawn? *shrug*.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”