Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 343
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 10:51 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#601 Post by fred o. » November 28th, 2018, 12:09 am

had a forgettable experience at Simone recently. the execution was actually good but the conception behind the dishes seemed a bit off, which was disappointing given the pedigree behind the kitchen.

tried Majordomo again and it was much more enjoyable this time, the food/execution was very well done, particular kudos to Jude Parra Sickels for his tight oversight of the kitchen. the macaroni and chickpea, and the boiled chicken were highlights. the soup from the boiled chicken preparation was outstanding with amazing depth of flavor, if a bit salty; leftovers the next day showed the degree of skill, the chilled soup separated cleanly into a fatty top layer and a clear gelatinous bottom layer, evidently a long preparation of bone broth. The wine list was much more interesting with some older selections, though they were priced accordingly.

Bestia on a recent visit was still outstanding. Ori Menashe was in the kitchen by the grills and all the food had a great balance of flavor, vibrant but strikingly not salty. They were very good about taking back a drink that a member of our party didn't like (dirty martini) and replacing it with a cocktail (white negroni -- excellent).
0k

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2758
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#602 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 30th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Havent gone through the entire thread of late but we have had two excellent meals at "Dama" in DTLA. Very interesting food, excellent service, decent wine list and reasonable corkage. It its across the courtyard from Rosso Blu. I think, at one time, that it was actually a banana warehouse.


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2758
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#603 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 30th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 2:18 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:
El Segundo Brewery visit?

El Segundo is a million miles away from me but could do Monkish, Smog City or Phantom.

Brian, our favorite place used to be right down the street from you. Maria's (Anza & PCH). Incredible carnitas and albondigas. Of course almost every Mexican restaurant in the South Bay would slaughter anything I can get in Orange county. Marias has moved to Western Avenue. Haven't been so I cannot vouch for it. Maria is the sister of South Bay legend, Alfredo. As the Alfredo's empire grew, I thought the food became variable and would only go to Maria's. Of course that was over 20 years ago.

I'll PM you next time I am in the area. Should be soon.

Jason
Sounds good. And I think I've driven by an Alfredo's ---- on PCH somewhere, iirc. And I'll put Maria's on the list, too. [cheers.gif]
Seems like time for a Torrance/Redondo Beach get together! Shoot, I think Maria's is about to become a d%$# Starbucks! Just what the neighborhood needs.


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#604 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 2nd, 2018, 10:27 am

I would certainly enjoy that! (The get together, not the Starbucks. [berserker.gif] )
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#605 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm

Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Group of 10 diners. Any recent diners have food recs. and/or know of current corkage policy? Obviously, I can simply call the restaurant about the corkage, but thought I might as well ask here, too.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30376
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#606 Post by c fu » December 3rd, 2018, 9:59 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Group of 10 diners. Any recent diners have food recs. and/or know of current corkage policy? Obviously, I can simply call the restaurant about the corkage, but thought I might as well ask here, too.
i don't know if it's still super strict, but it used to be a two btl limit
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#607 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:42 am

Thanks.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5064
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#608 Post by Jason Hagen » December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.
Good to hear. We have had some really great meals there, but sometimes a bit inconsistent. Is corkage still free there?

Jason

M. Meer
Posts: 386
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#609 Post by M. Meer » December 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Any recent diners have food recs?
Yes, the casonzei. I think it's a family recipe from where the chef grew up. The porchetta is good. Haven't had the cotechino there, but that's a great winter dish.

The wine list is decent as well.
Mar.kus

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#610 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.
Good to hear. We have had some really great meals there, but sometimes a bit inconsistent. Is corkage still free there?

Jason
No idea, Jason. Sorry. I hadn't even known corkage was/is free there. In fact, hadn't even considered bringing wine to Disney, but I will now!! champagne.gif
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#611 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

M. Meer wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 8:10 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 3:08 pm
Will be going to Factory Kitchen for the first time on Fri Dec. 14th. Any recent diners have food recs?
Yes, the casonzei. I think it's a family recipe from where the chef grew up. The porchetta is good. Haven't had the cotechino there, but that's a great winter dish.

The wine list is decent as well.
Oooh!! This is all I needed to hear. I *love* porchetta, and it's not nearly as prevalent in L.A. markets as it is/was in and around where I grew up in the Twin Cities, so it's a rare occasion when I come across it. Thank you for posting. [cheers.gif]
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#612 Post by David Cooper » December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

I will be in DTLA next week and have two reservations, Osteria Mozza and Otium. We need one more in the Downtown area. We were thinking Broken Spanish. Is BYOB an idea at any of these places?

My Mrs spends a lot of time in LA and has had great meals at Otium and BS, we are going to Mozza after our trip to K and L. It seems close enough. We were going to go to the Hearth and Hound which she loves but it is closed Mondays.

Any recommendation for somewhere to eat late night on Sunday near the Walt Disney Music Hall?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Robert Dentice
Posts: 1703
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#613 Post by Robert Dentice » December 4th, 2018, 10:41 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am
I will be in DTLA next week and have two reservations, Osteria Mozza and Otium. We need one more in the Downtown area. We were thinking Broken Spanish. Is BYOB an idea at any of these places?

My Mrs spends a lot of time in LA and has had great meals at Otium and BS, we are going to Mozza after our trip to K and L. It seems close enough. We were going to go to the Hearth and Hound which she loves but it is closed Mondays.

Any recommendation for somewhere to eat late night on Sunday near the Walt Disney Music Hall?

Thanks in advance.

I would add Majordomo to that list.

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2740
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#614 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 4th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Anyone been to Scratch kitchen in Encino?

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5064
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#615 Post by Jason Hagen » December 4th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm
Jason Hagen wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:39 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Ate at Catal in downtown Disney this past weekend. My suckling pig was excellent. The wine list was very reasonably priced (2005 Beychelle for $139 just about jumped off the page at me; there were plenty of other very reasonable options, too).

If, in the future, I ever find myself needing dinner in downtown Disney I would not hesitate to eat there again.
Good to hear. We have had some really great meals there, but sometimes a bit inconsistent. Is corkage still free there?

Jason
No idea, Jason. Sorry. I hadn't even known corkage was/is free there. In fact, hadn't even considered bringing wine to Disney, but I will now!! champagne.gif

Well check with them. It has been awhile but there was a season that all of the, or most of the, Patina Group restaurants waived corkage fees.

And how has no flamed you for posting this in a "Los Angeles" thread!?!

Jason

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#616 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 4th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Hey, the *Los Angeles* Angels of Anaheim play there. LOL!!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30376
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#617 Post by c fu » December 4th, 2018, 6:50 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 9:42 am
I will be in DTLA next week and have two reservations, Osteria Mozza and Otium. We need one more in the Downtown area. We were thinking Broken Spanish. Is BYOB an idea at any of these places?

My Mrs spends a lot of time in LA and has had great meals at Otium and BS, we are going to Mozza after our trip to K and L. It seems close enough. We were going to go to the Hearth and Hound which she loves but it is closed Mondays.

Any recommendation for somewhere to eat late night on Sunday near the Walt Disney Music Hall?

Thanks in advance.
you can BYOB at all of them, they just charge corkage.

I second Robert - Majordomo
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#618 Post by David Cooper » December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am

Thanks c fu. Would we have a chance of walking up and getting a table at around 5:30? The earliest reservation they seem to have is around 9:30. We aren't looking for Blue Plate specials yet but that is a bit late for us.

M. Meer
Posts: 386
Joined: December 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#619 Post by M. Meer » December 5th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm
I *love* porchetta, and it's not nearly as prevalent in L.A. markets as it is/was in and around where I grew up in the Twin Cities, so it's a rare occasion when I come across it. Thank you for posting. [cheers.gif]
[/quote]

Hope you enjoy your meal there! We had a really pleasant experience. Porchetta is a special dish for us, as well. The staff was engaging and responsive that night, and the chef was able to come out and chat with us for a minute and talk about food.
Mar.kus

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30376
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#620 Post by c fu » December 6th, 2018, 12:36 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 8:53 am
Thanks c fu. Would we have a chance of walking up and getting a table at around 5:30? The earliest reservation they seem to have is around 9:30. We aren't looking for Blue Plate specials yet but that is a bit late for us.
yep 5:30 you can walk up and sit at the chef's counter or an outdoor table (maybe indoor too)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#621 Post by David Cooper » December 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Turns out I got a phone reservation. Very excited. Thanks Charlie and Robert for encouraging me.

Cancelled Osteria Mozza and added Broken Spanish. Anyone know of a late night place near Disney for Sunday night?

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30376
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#622 Post by c fu » December 6th, 2018, 5:45 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Turns out I got a phone reservation. Very excited. Thanks Charlie and Robert for encouraging me.

Cancelled Osteria Mozza and added Broken Spanish. Anyone know of a late night place near Disney for Sunday night?
disneyland?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#623 Post by David Cooper » December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Sorry. The Walt Disney Music Hall. We can't eat before the concert, so will be wondering the streets of DTLA looking for food.

Antonio_G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6
Joined: November 20th, 2018, 8:30 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#624 Post by Antonio_G » December 6th, 2018, 8:41 pm

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Sorry. The Walt Disney Music Hall. We can't eat before the concert, so will be wondering the streets of DTLA looking for food.

For some of the best food right now IMO, Bavel or Simone Restaurant. About 10 minutes from Disney hall
A_Guti errez

User avatar
Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 677
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:12 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#625 Post by Nowell Karten » December 7th, 2018, 1:40 am

David Cooper wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Sorry. The Walt Disney Music Hall. We can't eat before the concert, so will be wondering the streets of DTLA looking for food.
How about Bestia? Sorry if someone already suggested this.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#626 Post by David Cooper » December 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Wow. Majordomo was great.Thanks Robert and Charlie. We had a bunch of smaller plates, the Cauliflower and Macheroni with truffles were exceptional. Drank a 16 Faury Saint Joseph of the list.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#627 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 12th, 2018, 2:17 pm

How was that Faury, David?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#628 Post by David Cooper » December 12th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I really liked it. I am a huge fan of the 2016s that I have drank, although they have been lower end wines like this one and Chapoutier Les Meysonieres.

2016 Domaine Faury St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (12/10/2018)
Medium red, very clear and bright. Lovely fresh Syrah nose, red flowers, cherry, earth and pepper. Delicious textured earthy red fruit and a dry tannic but fresh finish. (91 pts.)



We just had a 2016 Halcon Alturus, that was very much like the Faury. We also had a 2015 Billon Cote Rotie at Otium last night that was just okay.

Our LA visit included dinners at Majordomo, Otium, Vespaiolo and Shake Shack. All were very good in their own way. I also had tongue and tripe tacos for breakfast at the Central Market and sushi at a place called Sushi go 55 while my Mrs worked.

Forgot about a white knuckle glass of wine on the roof of the Intercontinental Hotel. I hate heights.

I'm hoping to pick up a Rush Creek Reserve tomorrow morning at DTLA cheese before going home. Can't wait to come back in February.

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#629 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 17th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Factory Kitchen was excellent. Not mind-bending, but I would go back. Corkage is $20 for first two bottles, $35 for every subsequent.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

User avatar
c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 46
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 10:29 am
Location: LA

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#630 Post by c_choi_ » December 18th, 2018, 10:13 am

Went to Hayato last week and it didn't disappoint. It provided the same if not better experience to 2-3 star Michelin kaiseki places in Tokyo, a month ago. The chef is present for all the dishes, is accessible and the quiet atmosphere is fantastic.
Chr|s Ch0|

johngonzales
Posts: 7421
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#631 Post by johngonzales » December 18th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 10:46 pm
Factory Kitchen was excellent. Not mind-bending, but I would go back. Corkage is $20 for first two bottles, $35 for every subsequent.
I love Factory Kitchen. Angelo always treats us right. Haven’t been in a spell. Did they have any truffles offered?

User avatar
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17897
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am
Location: westside

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#632 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » December 18th, 2018, 10:56 pm

They did have truffles, John. I can't recall what the dish was, but it was $90, so an easy pass for me. I ordered the porchetta as my main (very good, if not excellent, but I *really* need to be done ever ordering pork belly b/c I don't like the copious amounts of fat), and one of our starters was the casonzei, which was superb. The mushroom pizza hit the table and I recall liking that alot. ... and I think we had some carpaccio, too. I wish it wasn't so loud, but it wasn't so bad that I don't want to go back.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

johngonzales
Posts: 7421
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#633 Post by johngonzales » December 19th, 2018, 9:41 am

Brian,
Yes, I almost never order truffles at restaurants. Only in a few places where we are regulars, and know that the serving will be substantial. We know Angelo well, so Factory is a place I’d order something with truffles. The casonzei is one of my favorite dishes there. I get that or the modenesi every time, both if in a group. But the mandilli (pesto) is the must-have thing. I’d say I’ve been almost 20 times and have had the mandilli every single time. The fat on the porchetta is indeed too much. But I just slice some off, and it adds to the flavor and tenderness.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4824
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#634 Post by M.Kaplan » December 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm

PSA: Pasta or gnocchi with 8 grams of white truffles is currently $100 at Felix.
---Mark

johngonzales
Posts: 7421
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#635 Post by johngonzales » December 19th, 2018, 3:20 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 1:37 pm
PSA: Pasta or gnocchi with 8 grams of white truffles is currently $100 at Felix.
Still haven’t been to Felix.
We met the chef/owner at a James Beard event and he gave us his card telling us to try him if we wanted to come in. So we did, albeit with only a week’s notice, less than their advanced booking period. Never got a reply, even a “sorry”. Not a big deal though. Then, earlier this year, the wife of a fellow wine board member did book well ahead for four of us to go for his birthday dinner on a Saturday. After having had it on the books for a month?, the restaurant left her a voicemail saying they couldn’t honor the reservation. She tried to call but they don’t answer the phone and I couldn’t find an email to complain to them. No offer from them to get us in at another time, to do anything to make up for it, or even follow-up to make a live apology. So we’re left with a day’s notice for a Saturday to find somewhere special to go, which didn’t happen. Poor form.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4824
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#636 Post by M.Kaplan » December 19th, 2018, 4:01 pm

JG,
That's too bad. Food is very good, though, and maybe worth another try. I avoid Saturdays (Fridays are bad enough, but still worthwhile) as it often be a shitshow then.
---Mark

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2740
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#637 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 19th, 2018, 7:39 pm

I’m usyally disappointed with white truffle in LA.

But if I have then again, it should be with John at Factory Kitchen😃

User avatar
Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 677
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:12 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#638 Post by Nowell Karten » December 20th, 2018, 3:32 am

johngonzales wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 3:20 pm
Still haven’t been to Felix...Then, earlier this year, the wife of a fellow wine board member did book well ahead for four of us to go for his birthday dinner on a Saturday. After having had it on the books for a month?, the restaurant left her a voicemail saying they couldn’t honor the reservation. She tried to call but they don’t answer the phone and I couldn’t find an email to complain to them. No offer from them to get us in at another time, to do anything to make up for it, or even follow-up to make a live apology. So we’re left with a day’s notice for a Saturday to find somewhere special to go, which didn’t happen. Poor form.
This is extraordinary and inexcusable to me. Just hearing that it happened to someone makes me never want to patronize them again. Even if I can imagine a circumstance that could make a restaurant conclude that it is in their short-term and long-term interests to unilaterally cancel someone's reservation, I can't imagine why they wouldn't apologize and offer a complimentary meal on another night just to keep that diner as a customer. It looks like they might now end-up losing more than just that one customer.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

User avatar
Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 789
Joined: July 9th, 2018, 8:21 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#639 Post by Sh@n A » December 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Hi folks. Am making a trip out to LA for MLK weekend, after having moved out of the OC area back in 2013. Coming back for a long weekend to catch up with various friends would love recommendations for (i) corkage friendly trendy contemporary restaurants and (ii) reasonably priced/trendy Mexican restaurant for some nice Cali-Mex for a non-wine group. Will be staying in Santa Monica area, but will happily Uber.

Specifically, would love recommendations for:
(i) Corkage friendly: Contemporary Italian (I plan to bring some Barolo)
(ii) Corkage friendly: Contemporary American (I plan to bring either some more Barolo or perhaps Burgundy/Rhone)
(iii) Group friendly: Mexican (Tequila)

Diners will be late 30s of age for the most part, appreciative of both good food and ambience.

Thank you!
/ @ g r @ \

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#640 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 29th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Hi folks. Am making a trip out to LA for MLK weekend, after having moved out of the OC area back in 2013. Coming back for a long weekend to catch up with various friends would love recommendations for (i) corkage friendly trendy contemporary restaurants and (ii) reasonably priced/trendy Mexican restaurant for some nice Cali-Mex for a non-wine group. Will be staying in Santa Monica area, but will happily Uber.

Specifically, would love recommendations for:
(i) Corkage friendly: Contemporary Italian (I plan to bring some Barolo)
(ii) Corkage friendly: Contemporary American (I plan to bring either some more Barolo or perhaps Burgundy/Rhone)
(iii) Group friendly: Mexican (Tequila)

Diners will be late 30s of age for the most part, appreciative of both good food and ambience.

Thank you!
i. Bestia would be my first choice and Felix would be nice as well but both of these may be hard to get reservations at with such relatively short notice for contemporary Italian. Osteria Mozza is also a possibility.

ii. Republique is not exactly Contemporary American (technically it's French Alsatian) but would be my first choice in this category. It's very wine friendly and is my favorite restaurant in LA. The answer would definitely have been upstairs 2 before but it’s closed for now, unfortunately. That was probably the best place to do a wine dinner as it had good, inexpensive food, a very friendly and talented somm, cheap corkage, and you can buy wine at the attached store (wine house) and open it for $10.

I'll let others chime in with recs about Mexican places. There are many and a lot depends on what you're looking for.
Last edited by Mich@el Ch@ng on December 29th, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Cooper
Posts: 995
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 1:58 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#641 Post by David Cooper » December 29th, 2018, 5:05 pm

My wife really likes Broken Spanish for Mexican food. It is in DTLA though.

BTW I found Uber to be very good in LA.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#642 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 29th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Mercado and Border Grill in SM are fun but not very authentic Mexican restaurants. The question is if you want really authentic food or a fun place to drink tequila or both?

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#643 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 29th, 2018, 5:39 pm

The new Wally’s in SM is open now too, probably worth checking out.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11474
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#644 Post by alan weinberg » December 29th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 5:39 pm
The new Wally’s in SM is open now too, probably worth checking out.
Wally’s, where the motto is, “why pay less when you can pay more here?” But the BH store/resto is pretty

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#645 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 29th, 2018, 7:15 pm

They have decent deals on wines occasionally. I actually bought a bit of PYCM from them. I think they still have 2011 Grand Ruchottes for $150.

User avatar
Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 789
Joined: July 9th, 2018, 8:21 am

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#646 Post by Sh@n A » December 29th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations

- For Mexican I guess it would be TexMex, which I think California does a lot better than Texas or New York. I'm thinking Al Pastor tacos, Guacamole, Arrachera, etc. Not sure if this answers the question much. But I was thinking a casual, trendy spot. E.G., like Cafe Habana in NY (well circa 2000 when it was trendy, but not tourist deep trendy).
- Indeed, Bestia and Felix are pretty much booked. Osteria Mozza has availability. I recall wanting to check it out back in 2012-13 when it ?first opened? but never made the trek. This would be a good excuse to do so!
- Republique menue looks pretty solid and exciting. I feel I can taste many menus these days prior to even eating the food, but this Republique menu looks refreshing. Thanks for the recommendation.

P.S. Not stopping by Wallys! I spent 2x what I budgeted on starting my cellar this year! I am more trying to backfill selectively these days. I picked up a fair amount of 2013 Barolo and 2013-2016 Burgundy at this point... more than I budgeted for. I'm now transitioning to greater focus on what Barolo I want to focus on in 2016, narrowing down producers/crus for 2018+ Burgundy, and backfilling/continuing to taste (e.g., per the separate Bourgogne thread, I just picked up 4x Bourgognes to give a whirl, 2005 Barthod, 2005 Gerard Mungeret, 2002 Lafarge and 2015 Arnoux).

P.P.S. I considered driving down to visit Envoyer though :)
/ @ g r @ \

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30376
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#647 Post by c fu » December 29th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 9:13 pm
Thank you all for the recommendations

- For Mexican I guess it would be TexMex, which I think California does a lot better than Texas or New York. I'm thinking Al Pastor tacos, Guacamole, Arrachera, etc. Not sure if this answers the question much. But I was thinking a casual, trendy spot. E.G., like Cafe Habana in NY (well circa 2000 when it was trendy, but not tourist deep trendy).
- Indeed, Bestia and Felix are pretty much booked. Osteria Mozza has availability. I recall wanting to check it out back in 2012-13 when it ?first opened? but never made the trek. This would be a good excuse to do so!
- Republique menue looks pretty solid and exciting. I feel I can taste many menus these days prior to even eating the food, but this Republique menu looks refreshing. Thanks for the recommendation.

P.S. Not stopping by Wallys! I spent 2x what I budgeted on starting my cellar this year! I am more trying to backfill selectively these days. I picked up a fair amount of 2013 Barolo and 2013-2016 Burgundy at this point... more than I budgeted for. I'm now transitioning to greater focus on what Barolo I want to focus on in 2016, narrowing down producers/crus for 2018+ Burgundy, and backfilling/continuing to taste (e.g., per the separate Bourgogne thread, I just picked up 4x Bourgognes to give a whirl, 2005 Barthod, 2005 Gerard Mungeret, 2002 Lafarge and 2015 Arnoux).

P.P.S. I considered driving down to visit Envoyer though :)
Guerrilla tacos probably fits the bill for mexican.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4824
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#648 Post by M.Kaplan » December 29th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Or Bar Ama in DTLA. Guelaguetza for Oaxacan. Tallula’s (part of the Rustic Canyon family) in SaMo.
---Mark

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#649 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 30th, 2018, 3:59 am

Mercado is perfect for that and in SM.
Sh@n A wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 9:13 pm
Thank you all for the recommendations

- For Mexican I guess it would be TexMex, which I think California does a lot better than Texas or New York. I'm thinking Al Pastor tacos, Guacamole, Arrachera, etc. Not sure if this answers the question much. But I was thinking a casual, trendy spot. E.G., like Cafe Habana in NY (well circa 2000 when it was trendy, but not tourist deep trendy).
- Indeed, Bestia and Felix are pretty much booked. Osteria Mozza has availability. I recall wanting to check it out back in 2012-13 when it ?first opened? but never made the trek. This would be a good excuse to do so!
- Republique menue looks pretty solid and exciting. I feel I can taste many menus these days prior to even eating the food, but this Republique menu looks refreshing. Thanks for the recommendation.

P.S. Not stopping by Wallys! I spent 2x what I budgeted on starting my cellar this year! I am more trying to backfill selectively these days. I picked up a fair amount of 2013 Barolo and 2013-2016 Burgundy at this point... more than I budgeted for. I'm now transitioning to greater focus on what Barolo I want to focus on in 2016, narrowing down producers/crus for 2018+ Burgundy, and backfilling/continuing to taste (e.g., per the separate Bourgogne thread, I just picked up 4x Bourgognes to give a whirl, 2005 Barthod, 2005 Gerard Mungeret, 2002 Lafarge and 2015 Arnoux).

P.P.S. I considered driving down to visit Envoyer though :)

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 274
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 12:03 am
Location: OC

Re: Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

#650 Post by G. Keeler » January 2nd, 2019, 11:48 am

My wife and I went up to LA for a quick 1 night get away from the kids. We stayed at the Peninsula and planned our dinning around that area. That lead us to Spago for lunch and Tempura Endo for dinner. It's been a long time since we have been to Spago and it was very enjoyable for lunch. We shared the smoked salmon pizza and added caviar which was great but made for a very rich starter. Our pasta mains were also very good but again on the rich side. We were stuffed.

After a long walk and some shopping we went to Endo for dinner. The tempura was very good with the shrimp toast, corn, crab and wagyu as my favorites. The sashimi course was top notch as well and a welcome break from the tempura. Overall we enjoyed but won't be running back since there are so many other options to try. I also think we might have enjoyed it a little more if hadn't had such a big lunch.
G L E N N

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”