Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

#1 Post by Robert Dentice » January 4th, 2016, 11:46 am

I go to Los Angeles 4 or 5 times per year and admittedly I have been hyper-critical of the food scene. Keep in mind I live in NYC and dine there frequently, travel to many other cities in the U.S. including San Francisco (10+ times per year) and travel abroad to eat. Every time I am critical of LA I am told that either I go to the wrong places and/or that Los Angeles excels at Ethnic cuisine. Hence I tried to initially focus my dining on Japanese (a particular passion of mine), Mexican and Korean. This strategy worked very well and I discovered some amazing new places for me. The highlights are below:

Guerrila Tacos – First stop fresh from the plane I headed directly to Blue Bottle in DTLA. I have been here before and it is always fantastic. Over the course of two visits we had a i) sweet potato taco with almond chile, fried corn, scallions, and feta cheese, ii) smoked salmon and soft scrambled egg taco, iii) Peurto vallacta style crab taco and iv) albacore tuna tostado poke with white miso and furikake herbs. All were excellent. I could eat here every day and I wish we had this in NYC.

Yamakase – Invitation only Japanese restaurant. This was one of my best meals of 2015. Four and a half hour meal and close to 20 dishes yet the meal did not drag. Lots of uni and truffles yet each dish was distinctive enough that it was not overkill. Some online reviews have complained about this but it worked for me. The San Diego uni was fantastic along with many rare ingredients from Japan. I can’t believe there are only two people in the kitchen. This was close to as good as Urusawa for half the price and free corkage. I will be going back soon. We drank some older dry Rieslings and white burgs – both worked very well with the food.

Baroo – This place was unknown to me and it blew my mind. The restaurant is named for the food bowl that is used by Buddhist monks. The space is tiny and they do not have a wine license so no BYOB. They are open from 11-9. Chef Kwang Uh is from Seoul, Korea and has worked at Daniel, Nobu Bahama and staged at Noma prior to opening Baroo. Don’t let the fancy places scare you the Chef is clearly utilizing his training but the food is delicious Korean inspired food that is both creative and comforting. Most of the dishes are comprised of something fermented, rice or grains and fresh herbs or vegetables. The menu is primarily vegetarian. The Celeriac pasta is wonderful. Also the Noorook dish was outstanding. I love this place and if I lived in LA I would go frequently.
http://www.kevineats.com/2015/10/baroo- ... es-ca.html
http://baroola.strikingly.com/

Sushi Gen – I have been here a few times in the past and have always loved the sushi. As usual there was a HUGE line in front but strangely no one wants to sit at the counter. We always do and loved our meal once again, we focused exclusively on Sushi. We drank dry riesling and white burgundy and it worked very well.

Taco Maria – I have heard many good things about this place so I made the trek out to Orange county for lunch. I enjoyed it very much. Can’t say the tacos were any better than Guerrila. I would really like to go back for dinner. Similar to Baroo the Chef trained at some amazing restaurants including two of my favorites Commis and Coi. One thing that I think has held the Los Angeles dining scene back is the lack of top restaurants that can train cooks who then leave to start places like Taco Maria and Baroo – this is changing as Chefs get priced out of other large cities. Los Angeles is clearly the beneficiary of this! The wine list is not great, not sure if they have a corkage policy.

Kinjiro – Recommended to me by none other than Charlie Fu! I absolutely love this place. One of my goals for 2016 is to go even deeper into Japanese cuisine and what a way to start off 2016. This is Japanese comfort food at the highest level. Fantastic ingredients with flawless execution. Chef Yamamoto from Yamakase was sitting next to us and we traded wine back and forth. The service was excellent and they have a great Sake list with incredible pricing. We drank white burgundy and Sake, both went very well with the food.

Sqirl – What can I say I love this place and have been many times (sorry Charlie). The lines and hipster crowd do not bother me. We ate here twice and also ordered to go for the plane ride back. I also wish we had this in NYC.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#2 Post by c fu » January 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Glad you liked Kinjiro.

People sit at tables for Sushi Gen because they do sushi/sashimi specials that they don't allow at the bar. So for lunch you get about 15 pieces of sashimi with some cooked fish for $17. Dinner I think is $25 with some extras.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Robert Dentice

#3 Post by Robert Dentice » January 4th, 2016, 12:34 pm

c fu wrote:Glad you liked Kinjiro.

People sit at tables for Sushi Gen because they do sushi/sashimi specials that they don't allow at the bar. So for lunch you get about 15 pieces of sashimi with some cooked fish for $17. Dinner I think is $25 with some extras.
Ok that explains it. Our bill was over $100 per person at the counter including $20 corkage for three bottles.

And I loved not liked Kinjiro!

G. Greenbaum

#4 Post by G. Greenbaum » June 7th, 2016, 4:45 pm

I ate at Kali restaurant recently and loved it. Partners in crime are Drew Langley (former Providence somm) and chef Kevin Mehan. The service is precise and on point, yet relaxed. Drew took great care of us. The food was excellent. They run 5 course tasting menu and a chef's tasting menu (which we selected). You can also get in house dry aged Flannery ribeye as a supplement (of course we did). Excellent wine list. Highly recommended. Drew said wine geeks are encouraged and welcomes wine dinners.

http://www.kalirestaurant.com
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by M.Kaplan » June 7th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Gregg,
I couldn't agree more.
---Mark

ybarselah

#6 Post by ybarselah » June 8th, 2016, 4:27 am

great write up, will be there soon.

you have to be a pretty miserable person to not absolutely love sqirl.
Yaacov (ITB)

Mike Cohen

#7 Post by Mike Cohen » June 8th, 2016, 7:02 am

Was in LA over the recent holiday weekend. Loved Sqirl, Eggslut, Superba Food and Bread, Gjelina and Petit Trois. I find that LA does the hipster, casual, fun meal very well.

Dinners included (in order of favorites) Smoke.Oil.Salt, Milo & Olive, Tasting Kitchen, and Cassia

Gjusta was a messy egg sandwich combined with a crowded PITA seating arrangement. Food was good, but not worth the hassle. Really enjoy the simple and calm breakfast experience at Farmshop in Brentwood. Would happily enjoy breakfast and the newspaper here everyday.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 9th, 2016, 1:56 pm

I go to Gjusta for their breads and fermented chilli sauces. I never bother sitting-in, as it is a royal cluster...
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

johngonzales

#9 Post by johngonzales » June 9th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Mike Cohen wrote:Was in LA over the recent holiday weekend........
Why I oughta...!!!
I am placing a curse on Altuve and Harper so as to tank your fantasy baseball team.
One of these trips you'll let me know and I'll at least meet you for a glass of wine.

Squirl is just a bit tragically hipster for me. I like the food, though it's a bit veggie slanted for me. The jams that they make there are fantastic and I eat them a lot at home. But the place is over-packed, usually requires a wait, has a lack of easy parking, and is pretty pricey for what it is, and they have that popular inflexibility going. But everyone knows that. It has tons of people that rave a about it and tons of people that really don't like it. Both are understandable. Certainly there are reasons other than being miserable to not love it.

Mike Cohen

#10 Post by Mike Cohen » June 9th, 2016, 5:23 pm

johngonzales wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:Was in LA over the recent holiday weekend........
Why I oughta...!!!
I am placing a curse on Altuve and Harper so as to tank your fantasy baseball team.
One of these trips you'll let me know and I'll at least meet you for a glass of wine.
Sorry bro. Quick trip with the family. Wish I had more time

As a side note we ate at Gracias Madre...what a freaking disaster that was. Highly recommended by someone I (used) to trust about food. Slop on a plate. Went to In and Out Burger afterwards.

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by P. Willenberg » June 10th, 2016, 7:04 am

Adding a couple of those to my list. Thanks for the notes!
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by c fu » June 10th, 2016, 9:55 am

ybarselah wrote:great write up, will be there soon.

i'm a miserable person then. I agree with all of John's sentiments on it. It's fine, just not worth the trip for me. If i'm around and someone wants to go i wouldn't say no.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ybarselah

#13 Post by ybarselah » June 10th, 2016, 4:43 pm

c fu wrote:

i'm a miserable person then. I agree with all of John's sentiments on it. It's fine, just not worth the trip for me. If i'm around and someone wants to go i wouldn't say no.
aren't you the same guy that shit the bed at Arpege??

flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile
Yaacov (ITB)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#14 Post by c fu » June 11th, 2016, 10:16 am

ybarselah wrote:
c fu wrote:

aren't you the same guy that shit the bed at Arpege??

flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile
Yes. Totally my fault for being served seven courses of beets flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile

Like I said. Sqirl is fine. I just don't love it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by alan weinberg » June 11th, 2016, 3:25 pm

can't wait till Smorgasburg LA opens--next week.

ybarselah

#16 Post by ybarselah » June 27th, 2016, 12:46 pm

G. Greenbaum wrote:I ate at Kali restaurant recently and loved it. Partners in crime are Drew Langley (former Providence somm) and chef Kevin Mehan. The service is precise and on point, yet relaxed. Drew took great care of us. The food was excellent. They run 5 course tasting menu and a chef's tasting menu (which we selected). You can also get in house dry aged Flannery ribeye as a supplement (of course we did). Excellent wine list. Highly recommended. Drew said wine geeks are encouraged and welcomes wine dinners.

appropriate to bring my 7 year old human here?
Yaacov (ITB)

G. Greenbaum

#17 Post by G. Greenbaum » June 27th, 2016, 5:03 pm

ybarselah wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:I ate at Kali restaurant recently and loved it. Partners in crime are Drew Langley (former Providence somm) and chef Kevin Mehan. The service is precise and on point, yet relaxed. Drew took great care of us. The food was excellent. They run 5 course tasting menu and a chef's tasting menu (which we selected). You can also get in house dry aged Flannery ribeye as a supplement (of course we did). Excellent wine list. Highly recommended. Drew said wine geeks are encouraged and welcomes wine dinners.

appropriate to bring my 7 year old human here?
Depends what your kid eats. Setting is casual.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by alan weinberg » June 27th, 2016, 7:35 pm

alan weinberg wrote:can't wait till Smorgasburg LA opens--next week.
went yesterday--disappointed--few sites of interest--Guerilla Tacos had a very good fish taco, everything else at other sites less memorable . . . won't go back. Ramen Burger was decent, too much sweet soy, a decent but not special mango/sticky rice site, nothing else really good to me . . .

ybarselah

#19 Post by ybarselah » June 28th, 2016, 10:23 am

alan weinberg wrote:
went yesterday--disappointed--few sites of interest--Guerilla Tacos had a very good fish taco, everything else at other sites less memorable . . . won't go back. Ramen Burger was decent, too much sweet soy, a decent but not special mango/sticky rice site, nothing else really good to me . . .
it's not that great here, so don't feel you got cheated.
Yaacov (ITB)

Mike Cohen

#20 Post by Mike Cohen » June 28th, 2016, 11:57 am

ybarselah wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
it's not that great here, so don't feel you got cheated.
My family and I went to the Brooklyn version two weekends ago. It's a fun way to spend a few hours, but it's not earth shattering.

Robert Dentice

#21 Post by Robert Dentice » July 17th, 2016, 8:37 am

36 hours in LA. I had another great meal at Kinjiro, will be forever grateful to Charlie Fu.

Dinner last night at The Cannibal was fantastic. The food and service were both outstanding. Amazing beer list and a very small focused winelist. We drank 2014 Sandlands Trousseau. The menu is diverse and has lots to eat for non-meat eaters. Jonathan Gold was sitting behind us and the place was packed. My guess is that it is going to be hard to get into in short order.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#22 Post by c fu » July 17th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:36 hours in LA. I had another great meal at Kinjiro, will be forever grateful to Charlie Fu.

Dinner last night at The Cannibal was fantastic. The food and service were both outstanding. Amazing beer list and a very small focused winelist. We drank 2014 Sandlands Trousseau. The menu is diverse and has lots to eat for non-meat eaters. Jonathan Gold was sitting behind us and the place was packed. My guess is that it is going to be hard to get into in short order.
I heard good things about Cannibal, will have to check it out.

Kinjiro just got written up by the NYT for the 36 hours in LA article (what a coincidence!). Business has been even crazier after that. Considering Jun doesn't want to do more than 2 turns a night, it just means more and more people get turned away.

Gotta do dinner next time you're in LA robert!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Barry L i p t o n

#23 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 17th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
The menu is diverse and has lots to eat for non-meat eaters. .
I'm sure it's great , but based on the menu, just side veg, cheese and tuna tartare
Last edited by Barry L i p t o n on August 31st, 2016, 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by T Welch » July 17th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
I'm sure it's great , but based on the menu, just side veg, cheese and Ina tartare
Ina Garten met her demise?
T*R*U*E*T*T - ITB

Robert Dentice

#25 Post by Robert Dentice » July 17th, 2016, 5:42 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:
I'm sure it's great , but based on the menu, just side veg, cheese and Ina tartare
Eight veggie sides that are all like small plates, the best pretzel I have ever had, a couple of snacks plus cheese. I think a vegetarian could eat very well here.

Barry L i p t o n

#26 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 17th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love your reviews.

But my vegetarian feels marginalized when all they have are side dishes.

She will go to those side dish places if she just wants a little to eat and it's quick and easy. But if it's a schlep she will stay home.

Robert Dentice

#27 Post by Robert Dentice » August 29th, 2016, 9:21 am

My version of 36 hours in LA

Another stellar lunch at Baroo. Such an exciting place.

And a wonderful meal at Yamakase. I wish Chef would reduce the overall quantity of the food just a bit as it is too much for me let alone my wife. Nonetheless it is a very special place and I can't wait to go back.

Also we had an outstanding array of rare cheeses from DTLA Cheese in the Grand Central Market.

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#28 Post by ryancurry » August 29th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:My version of 36 hours in LA

And a wonderful meal at Yamakase. I wish Chef would reduce the overall quantity of the food just a bit as it is too much for me let alone my wife. Nonetheless it is a very special place and I can't wait to go back.

Also we had an outstanding array of rare cheeses from DTLA Cheese in the Grand Central Market.

I agree that Yamakase is too much food. I'm not quite as big of a fan as your are. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it seems like high end japanese stoner food to me. Super indulgent with tons of uni, truffles, kani miso, etc. Oddly my favorite dish was a tomato and shrimp pasta that was perfectly executed. Its a fun place to visit, but I crave a different balance of flavors.
itb

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#29 Post by c fu » August 30th, 2016, 1:05 pm

ryancurry wrote:
Robert Dentice wrote:My version of 36 hours in LA

I agree that Yamakase is too much food. I'm not quite as big of a fan as your are. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it seems like high end japanese stoner food to me. Super indulgent with tons of uni, truffles, kani miso, etc. Oddly my favorite dish was a tomato and shrimp pasta that was perfectly executed. Its a fun place to visit, but I crave a different balance of flavors.
I'm not a huge fan either, it's just too much rich food. MORE TORO. MORE CRAB GUTS. MORE UNI. MORE TRUFFLES. MORE WAGYU. MORE FOIE.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by P. Willenberg » August 30th, 2016, 2:40 pm

gosh it must really be excessibe because that sounds wonderful to this gourmand.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by M.Kaplan » August 30th, 2016, 2:48 pm

It's a lot of very rich food having the same texture. I agree with Charlie. Except for the too much crab guts. No such thing as too much crab guts.
---Mark

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by P. Willenberg » August 30th, 2016, 3:00 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:It's a lot of very rich food having the same texture. I agree with Charlie. Except for the too much crab guts. No such thing as too much crab guts.
I'd post that pic of me at Johan if the Photobucket would stop crashing.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by M.Kaplan » August 30th, 2016, 5:32 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:
M.Kaplan wrote:It's a lot of very rich food having the same texture. I agree with Charlie. Except for the too much crab guts. No such thing as too much crab guts.
I'd post that pic of me at Johan if the Photobucket would stop crashing.
IMG_8698.JPG
IMG_8698.JPG (18.11 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
This one?
---Mark

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by P. Willenberg » August 31st, 2016, 6:53 am

ha ha. Is that your phone background? Daily inspiration?
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Robert Dentice

#35 Post by Robert Dentice » August 31st, 2016, 7:11 am

Don't disagree with the too much rich. I would say this past meal it was less rich with some really delicious new lighter dishes including an amazing Eel dish.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#36 Post by c fu » August 31st, 2016, 10:31 am

i do love crab guts.

Elite in MPK does an awesome dish with the head/guts of a king crab. Basically a king crab head custard.
photocred: Andy Gavin.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by M.Kaplan » August 31st, 2016, 11:19 am

That looks fantastic.
---Mark

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by P. Willenberg » September 1st, 2016, 8:10 am

that reminds me of the Chawanmushi at Tei-An in Dallas. cold seafood custard in a Dungeness crab head.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#39 Post by c fu » September 29th, 2016, 8:29 pm

need to put some love into this thread. Things I ate this past week or so.

Howlin Rays- hot fried chicken. Delicious. Sweet, spicy, vinegary deliciousness. Chicken sandwich is fantastic with just the right amount of sour in the cole slaw.

Lao Tao street food - newly opened slightly upscale take on traditional taiwanese food. It's taiwanese food but just with more care and better ingredients. Oyster pancake is about as authentic as it gets but with meaty briny oysters. Better than Pine and Crane which is really just taiwanese food for non taiwanese.

Egg slut - went again to see if I was wrong. Still ordinary. I think I figured out my issue with it, the bread just isn't good. It has almost a dry staleness to it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Mike Cohen

#40 Post by Mike Cohen » September 30th, 2016, 5:24 am

c fu wrote:Egg slut - went again to see if I was wrong. Still ordinary. I think I figured out my issue with it, the bread just isn't good. It has almost a dry staleness to it.
You're dead to me. ;)

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by T. Altmayer » September 30th, 2016, 10:11 am

c fu wrote:Howlin Rays- hot fried chicken. Delicious. Sweet, spicy, vinegary deliciousness. Chicken sandwich is fantastic with just the right amount of sour in the cole slaw.
How was the line? I've been waiting to go there because I haven't wanted to wait an hour +.
Tom

M. Meer

#42 Post by M. Meer » September 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

Haven't braved the line for HR either, so I can't compare, but I did like the hot chicken at Crawford's.
Pretty low frills spot, but you can grab a beer with your meal while you're there. I'd skip the regular fried chicken and go for the spicy.
Mar.kus

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#43 Post by c fu » September 30th, 2016, 12:45 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
c fu wrote:Howlin Rays- hot fried chicken. Delicious. Sweet, spicy, vinegary deliciousness. Chicken sandwich is fantastic with just the right amount of sour in the cole slaw.
How was the line? I've been waiting to go there because I haven't wanted to wait an hour +.
Go after 1 on weekdays, lines are maybe 10-15 minutes long. If you go at opening it's about a hour. Last wed I was eating nearby, we finished at 12:45 and the line was about 6-7 deep. We went to eat there Wed at 3pm and the line was similarly 6-7 deep. Weekends are a shit show all day long.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#44 Post by c fu » September 30th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Rice Bar - Opened by Charles Olalia (former exec chef at Patina). About a year old now, it's in my lunch rotation. Basically rice bowls with some specials. Throwback to filipino comfort food. The chicken rice with the ginger soup is perfect. The housemade langganisa is the best langganisa I've had, especially when he makes a burger out of it. All the rice is non-gmo heirloom rice growers from the philippines. Great spot

Sonoratown - recent addition to the fashion district. Sonora region's flour tortilla with mesquite grilled meats. The chorizo is from a local maker. The chivichanga is a throw back to the great microwave burrito, shredded meat, a pepper, melted cheese, wrapped up and grilled on the flames. Carne Asada is smokey and full of flavor. But the star is the flour tortillas, light but with great chew.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#45 Post by c fu » September 30th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Went to 71 Above a couple of weeks ago for a wine dinner.

Food is better than it needs to be for a high elevation destination restaurant. It was interesting but nothing incredible. The octopus tentacle grilled then lightly fried with almost a sweet and sour flavor was good. Also the pork trio was pretty tasty too (pork belly, pork loin, ball). Really cool space though, beautifully appointed and the view is top notch. Huge bar area if you just want to grab a drink.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

M. Meer

#46 Post by M. Meer » September 30th, 2016, 3:34 pm

c fu wrote:Rice Bar - Opened by Charles Olalia (former exec chef at Patina). About a year old now, it's in my lunch rotation. Basically rice bowls with some specials. Throwback to filipino comfort food. The chicken rice with the ginger soup is perfect. The housemade langganisa is the best langganisa I've had, especially when he makes a burger out of it. All the rice is non-gmo heirloom rice growers from the philippines. Great spot
The longganisa is definitely one to get. Have to make it out again for some of the other dishes (chicken & beef). Being open later now definitely helps.
Mar.kus

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jay Miller » October 2nd, 2016, 11:15 am

M. Meer wrote:
c fu wrote:Rice Bar - Opened by Charles Olalia (former exec chef at Patina). About a year old now, it's in my lunch rotation. Basically rice bowls with some specials. Throwback to filipino comfort food. The chicken rice with the ginger soup is perfect. The housemade langganisa is the best langganisa I've had, especially when he makes a burger out of it. All the rice is non-gmo heirloom rice growers from the philippines. Great spot
The longganisa is definitely one to get. Have to make it out again for some of the other dishes (chicken & beef). Being open later now definitely helps.

Yum. Maybe Arnold and I should visit LA next year.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Dentice

#48 Post by Robert Dentice » October 2nd, 2016, 2:59 pm

Went to Alma for brunch because I was meeting someone there. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. The food and service were horrible.

Tom Moore

#49 Post by Tom Moore » October 2nd, 2016, 5:05 pm

Went to Otium next to the Broad for lunch yesterday - outstanding! Anybody else been?
Rustic/chic decor with lots of different variety on seating, 4 of us were seated at the end of a counter and had a view of a Metro expansion below us.

Expensive small plate concept - most were $17-$25 each, we shared 5 or six and was plenty for brunch. Delicious, quality food with their take on different ethnic dishes. Standouts were Hamachi with an avocado/citrus smear, hummus and baba ganoush with best flatbread/pita ever, buckwheat blini with smoked salmon/cream fraische, amazing brioche with fig, poached egg and prosciutto.

Every dish was outstanding and we all licked our plates. Highly recommended for the food. Wine list was crazy expensive by the glass so I had a $15 Bloody Mary that was mehhhhhh.

We were thinking this place was inside the Broad Museum of Modern Art but was adjacent to. Line to get into museum was crazy long, but we do plan on going back to check it out and will eat here again.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#50 Post by c fu » October 2nd, 2016, 10:18 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:Went to Alma for brunch because I was meeting someone there. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. The food and service were horrible.
Place sucked when it was stand alone and named best new restaurant by BA and it still sucks.

Completely full of themselves.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”