this happened: flannery vs lobels vs organic butcher ribeye/hangar

Thanks to JoeD with the BGE, we had a chance last saturday to pit flannery vs lobel vs the organic butcher in VA
the two cuts we used were the ribeye and the hangar steak. similar weight, cooked side by side.

results? i’m still stuffed days after the meal…

very interested in the lobel flannery difference

Common Art, don’t tease! Tasting notes please.

The steaks look amazing! Which did you prefer?

we just spent a fortune at Organic Butcher.

My guess is that they were all excellent and the differences were minor and possibly just perceived or represent individual pieces of meat variation.

And, the take home will be to go with whichever one is currently offering the best deal.

My picks turned out to both be the Flannery. Call me a homer if you must.

The ribeye were rather close- the Lobell had a really nice taste, and was likely the most flavorful. The waygu was “oily” and really tender. In my view the Flannery had the best texture/mouthfeel and all around most balanced, if that makes any sense. There were 7 of us and it was pretty evenly split… There were no losers.

The hangers were a landslide- I think everyone picked Flannery. It was actually surprising, as the lobell were dry aged and therefore the most trimmed. The organic butcher didn’t have waygu, so this was regular prime (at 40% of the cost of the other 2), so not a fair fight. The Flannery seemeed to have the most marbling, and boy did it show in the final product.

Fun night all around. The new ultramarine rose was killer, and a handful of saxums were lined up next to the beef.

(Pro tip- the waygu tritip at the OG butcher is off the charts)

so it’s all wagyu?

Mark, to my knowledge the only cut that came form a predominantly waygu cattle was the largest ribeye in the pic above, sourced from the organic butcher of McLean, va.

Have done something similar with Flannery vs. some others side by side. By and large, Flannery generally came out on top by a little bit. It was exactly as you describe, the overall combination of flavor, texture, mouth feel, and taste was what set Flannery apart.

Nice photo! Libations?

Results?

Interesting. When we did Flannery vs. Lobel’s hangers, the Lobel’s won by a landslide.