GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rush Creek Reserve!

#202 Post by David K o l i n » February 3rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

1/21 wheel tonight. Perfect

Kenny H

#203 Post by Kenny H » February 3rd, 2019, 8:11 pm

Our wheel just before the new year was excellent, if a little tame. The bacon came through with some depth but it did not get funky. Great stuff for sure and at the price no reason to complain, but it has been better for sure.
H0eve!kamp

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by AlexS » February 4th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Kenny H wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:11 pm
Our wheel just before the new year was excellent, if a little tame. The bacon came through with some depth but it did not get funky. Great stuff for sure and at the price no reason to complain, but it has been better for sure.
In my experience, the most "bacony" wheels are the earliest released with the later releases becoming less smoked meats and more of a herbaceous mustard profile.
s t e w @ r t

Kenny H

#205 Post by Kenny H » February 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

AlexS wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Kenny H wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 8:11 pm
In my experience, the most "bacony" wheels are the earliest released with the later releases becoming less smoked meats and more of a herbaceous mustard profile.
That is very interesting. I also buy their Harbison and I have noted the herbaceous mustard profile you identify. It is outstanding and why I got hooked on this style of cheese. Maybe a good reason some folks choose to age their wheels a few months more.
H0eve!kamp

Doug Sher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Doug Sher » February 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Kenny H wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

That is very interesting. I also buy their Harbison and I have noted the herbaceous mustard profile you identify. It is outstanding and why I got hooked on this style of cheese. Maybe a good reason some folks choose to age their wheels a few months more.
I regret to inform you that Harbison is made by Jasper Hill Farm, not Uplands Cheese Company.

As an aside, the last five Rush Creek Reserves that I have purchased (from Whole Foods) have been badly ammoniated and inedible. I quit buying it. I've had much better luck with Harbison.

Kenny H

#207 Post by Kenny H » February 6th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Doug Sher wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm
Kenny H wrote:

I regret to inform you that Harbison is made by Jasper Hill Farm, not Uplands Cheese Company.

As an aside, the last five Rush Creek Reserves that I have purchased (from Whole Foods) have been badly ammoniated and inedible. I quit buying it. I've had much better luck with Harbison.

Typo/brain stall on my part. I buy both and Winnimere.
H0eve!kamp

Ittachi_Kawasaki

#208 Post by Ittachi_Kawasaki » August 25th, 2019, 6:58 am

Natto is really good for your health. Everyone should try it at least one time.
I know you may wonder what does natto taste like, but believe in me, Natto taste is not bad as you image [dance-clap.gif]
Travel Lover
Japanese Man

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by George Hejna » August 25th, 2019, 8:50 am

Not sure what Natto has to do with a 7 month old thread on this cheese? Maybe just another way for you to plug your blog??

George

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Michae1 P0wers » August 26th, 2019, 7:46 am

Closer to topic, I had a really good piece of Moses Sleeper from Jasper Hill recently. This was decidedly more complex and meatier than I've found it in the past. Quite good.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by MitchTallan » August 26th, 2019, 10:32 am

Doug Sher wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm
Kenny H wrote:

I've had the same experience. I've made the dietary choice to avoid most cheeses these days but even when I was still regularly buying artisanal cheese, I thought RCR was very good when it was very good, very bad when it was bad, and not worth the effort. The stuff has the shelf life of a fruit fly.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 27th, 2019, 6:14 am

George Hejna wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 8:50 am
Not sure what Natto has to do with a 7 month old thread on this cheese? Maybe just another way for you to plug your blog??

George
Natto has been mentioned several times in this thread.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

ybarselah

#213 Post by ybarselah » November 4th, 2019, 8:56 am

cracked my first 2019 RCR last night and was thrilled as usual. eataly has them.
Yaacov (ITB)

Sarah Kirschbaum

#214 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 6th, 2019, 7:57 am

They didn't have any Rush Creek Reserve in yet at DiBrunos but they did have Black Betty!!!! Probably even more exciting to me than RCR, as far as seasonal cheeses go.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by George Hejna » November 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Had it last night vs a bunch of really nice French cheeses. It did well. The texture to me still seems a little bit plastic like. It was room temp. I would like it to get a little more runny but that is being pretty nit picky,

Geoge

Mel Hill

#216 Post by Mel Hill » November 11th, 2019, 4:52 pm

George Hejna wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Had it last night vs a bunch of really nice French cheeses. It did well. The texture to me still seems a little bit plastic like. It was room temp. I would like it to get a little more runny but that is being pretty nit picky,

Geoge
200 deg oven for 20 min. Plenty runny then!

ybarselah

#217 Post by ybarselah » November 12th, 2019, 7:47 am

George Hejna wrote:

Geoge
plastic like seems a little under ripe to me. likely just needed a few more days in the fridge. i find the same thing here; if there are multiple dates, i choose the oldest one.
Yaacov (ITB)

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by George Hejna » November 13th, 2019, 12:25 pm

ybarselah wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 7:47 am
George Hejna wrote:

Geoge
plastic like seems a little under ripe to me. likely just needed a few more days in the fridge. i find the same thing here; if there are multiple dates, i choose the oldest one.
I would agree. I think it probably could have used a good month.

George

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » November 26th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Picked up one for the Thanksgiving cheeseplate
Attachments
IMG_4881.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rush Creek Reserve!pn

#220 Post by MitchTallan » November 27th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 10:38 am
[smileyvault-ban.gif] 🤫12-17 had a touch of ammonia on Saturday night
Here we are a year later and today I found a wheel at the counter of a small local creamery that also sells other US cheeses https://www.northmarket.com/portfolio-i ... -creamery/ dated 12/10. They had the Harbison too but the gal at the counter said "we always have Harbison, we rarely get RCR and when we do it goes fast". It rang up at $45. When I expressed mild surprise at the price jump my nice counterperson said "I will discount that for you" and priced it down to $30 as far as I could tell since I bought two other cheeses including a Rogue Blue, all to be served tomorrow with some Champagne to our Thanksgiving party of about 12.
We talked about the ammonia character. Counter gal said "absolutely, if you consume it close to or after the sell-by date, it is likely going to have that off-putting ammonia-it is meant to be consumed almost immediately upon release".
I am not a food scientist, but is pretty clear that the active bacteria in this cheese, which I assume is dominated by Brevibacterium Linens as in France, continues to feed upon the cream and break down into a waste-like puddle in a fairly fast time frame of four to six weeks. The creamery processes the wheels over four weeks and then upon release there is a window of just two weeks left before the breakdown/downturn/spoilage occurs.
Last edited by MitchTallan on November 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by David K o l i n » November 27th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I saw it at $48 a wheel tonight. Love the cheese, but an easy pass

Mel Hill

#222 Post by Mel Hill » November 28th, 2019, 6:25 am

Picked up a wheel at Quality Meats yesterday in Chicago priced at the MSRP $39 per pound. Brought it to MI and we had it last night. The sell by date was January and the disk was soft so a few min in the oven to warm it up was all it needed. Showed great and was r
Easily finished by a bunch of new fans.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by MitchTallan » November 28th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I gotta say, when RCR is on, it is so on. We had a large mixed group for Thanksgiving and six artisanal cheeses and the RCR was a knockout consensus favorite even among the newbies to Epoisses. It got devoured and praised by even a few who thought they did not like smelly cheeses. This particular wheel was so full of delicate unami mushroom complexity as to be irresistible. So I take back a bit of my criticism. I am once again an unabashed fan. We had so many good things to eat tonight but the RCR stood out.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » November 29th, 2019, 8:22 am

I was disappointed. The center was great, but far too much ammonia permeating into it (which I couldn't smell in the packaging). Mid-Dec good by date.
Cheers,
/<evin

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 30th, 2019, 12:38 pm

We put RCR up against Harbison and again the Harbison was the favorite. The Rush Creek was meatier, but the Harbison was more complex, and the texture is better. RCR always seems a bit waxy. I know the common answer is to warm it in the oven, but the Harbison is perfect at room temperature, and on TG there wasn't an oven to use at a very low temp to warm the RCR. Both were very good though. Harbison is more widely available which seems to diminish its allure some, and of course it's much cheaper. Even found some at TJ's for like $12 each last year.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#226 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 2nd, 2019, 5:07 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 8:22 am
I was disappointed. The center was great, but far too much ammonia permeating into it (which I couldn't smell in the packaging). Mid-Dec good by date.
This happens way more often than it should, year after year, with RCR and Harbison and even with Kunik and a few others. We can't stand that ammonia smell (I've commented on it here before), and it seems not to be related to any sell-by date. We've had cheeses that were impacted every year, along with good wheels. Some stores seem to have worse problems than others, not sure why. I've heard theories that it has to do with how long a wheel has been in packaging, but I can't make that work in all cases logically. It's very sad when it happens, and very frustrating since I can't generally smell it through the packaging. DiBrunos will now open wheels for us, since we've discussed this problem with them, before we take anything home. Then we can vacuum seal again if it's good and we don't want it right away.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by Jay Miller » December 2nd, 2019, 6:12 am

Had a great RCR alongside an equally great in an entirely different way Rogue River Blue 2 weeks ago.

An Arethusa Blue was very good but outclassed by its company.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”