Rush Creek Reserve!

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#101 Post by John Morris » December 17th, 2016, 2:15 pm

FYI, Murray's on Bleeker Street in NYC has it in stock at $32.
Chris Freemott wrote:John,
FWIW, I'm with Mel on this. I let mine sit at room temp for several hours and peeled the top a bit and tried it...Then I followed the cheesemaker's directions and got some heat on it. Flavor profile changed and it opened up into a richer, Earthy puddle of goodness.
I guess I feel that's cheating. Even industrial brie tastes pretty good when heated.
"Cream is not the only bovine product that rises in a bull market." --Justin Hibbard -- @hibbard

"Facebook is a company started by a teen in his dorm room to rank the hotness of Harvard students that has today grown into the market leader in the field of apologizing for privacy violations."--Matt Levine, Bloomberg

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#102 Post by Kenny H » December 17th, 2016, 8:17 pm

We have now sampled the Rush Creek Reserve for two days. FWIW, we don't get the hype that it is that much better than other vacherin mont d'or styled cheeses. This isn't just me, it's my notoriously independent wife and myself. I purposely avoid asking her about these things to make sure there is no influence. Today we both agreed the RCR presents no major difference to the Harbison. In fact, we agreed that the Harbison often has an earthiness not present in the RCR we had. Do not get me wrong, we think it is excellent. Suzy even went as far as to say the RCR is cleaner, less funky. But we both appreciate the funkiness that Harbison often provides. YMMV, but there you go.
H0eve!kamp

Nolan E

Rush Creek Reserve!

#103 Post by Nolan E » December 17th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Wouldn't the Winnimere be more comparable to RCR? I had a wheel of Harbison today and thought it was much lighter/fresher/cleaner than RCR.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#104 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 17th, 2016, 10:48 pm

dcornutt wrote:I had the cheese Michael bought in town. Heated up it is at it's best. I love Mont d'Or but this is such a singular experience for a US cheese like this. Wonderful.
Totally feels like I'm missing out on this, but if I'm honest here... I'm eating Mont d'Or three or four nights a week now :) Thanks to the WB guys for recommending.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#105 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2016, 4:36 am

I don't understand why it has to be singular or mind blowing for people to "get it." Can't is just be delicious? It doesn't need to be better than Harbison or Winnemere. It's a different cheese, and we're lucky to have all of them. I am getting to hate the culture-of-best that means if something is merely great, it's disappointing. I blame the scores and prizes as a major culprit. We love RCR because it's a great cheese. It's what it is. There are others that are also great. Why do we need to measure them against each other in a fashion where one is superior and the other inferior? I don't think Midnight Moon is the best firm goat out there, but I love eating it. Many people read this thread tried RCR reserve for the first time, and every single person has enjoyed it. I really don't understand why people seem to feel failed if it isn't the best cheese they've ever had. Eat it and enjoy it. Or don't. It's one of the special options available.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#106 Post by George Hejna » December 18th, 2016, 6:47 am

This is the best thread ever!

[snort.gif]

Sarah - I completely agree.

George

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#107 Post by Michae1 P0wers » December 18th, 2016, 11:09 am

I've never had RCR and based on this thread I'm going to grab one for the afternoon on Christmas. Big fan of Vacherin and Harbison/Winnimere so I'm excited to try this expression.

Edited to remedy auto-correct
Last edited by Michae1 P0wers on December 19th, 2016, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#108 Post by George Hejna » December 18th, 2016, 11:41 am

For something a little different went with a Crown Finish Caves Naked Pruner a ripened sheep cheese.

Very nice.

http://www.crownfinishcaves.com/cheeses ... frforfj9hl

George

ybarselah

Rush Creek Reserve!

#109 Post by ybarselah » December 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

had it for the first time this week and loved it. heated up as per the instructions.

eataly has a bunch and cheap(er) than murray's
Yaacov (ITB)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#110 Post by Alan Rath » December 19th, 2016, 11:15 am

For those in SF, Cowgirl cheese shop in the Ferry Plaza had the Rush Creek, plus Winnimere and one other Jasper Hill cheese in stock on Friday. I ended up with a Winnimere.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#111 Post by Kenny H » December 19th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:I don't understand why it has to be singular or mind blowing for people to "get it".
Who said that?
H0eve!kamp

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#112 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 20th, 2016, 12:48 am

I got that sense from several in this thread, you included, that people were disappointed that the RCR was "merely good," and that it should be much better than other similar cheeses in order to deserve the excitement it has. If I misinterpreted, I apologize. It is, however, a definite trend in the world of wine, restaurant, food evaluations that everything has to be INCREDIBLE to be taken seriously. For instance, I talked about Le Coucou in NYC as being very good, though not mind-blowing, and at least a half dozen people interpreted that to mean I was lukewarm about it. I wasn't. I liked it a lot. I just didn't think it was anything like the best restaurant in NYC right now. As if nothing short of AMAZING!! means you like it.

Tom Gibson

Rush Creek Reserve!

#113 Post by Tom Gibson » December 20th, 2016, 9:24 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:I got that sense from several in this thread, you included, that people were disappointed that the RCR was "merely good," and that it should be much better than other similar cheeses in order to deserve the excitement it has. If I misinterpreted, I apologize. It is, however, a definite trend in the world of wine, restaurant, food evaluations that everything has to be INCREDIBLE to be taken seriously. For instance, I talked about Le Coucou in NYC as being very good, though not mind-blowing, and at least a half dozen people interpreted that to mean I was lukewarm about it. I wasn't. I liked it a lot. I just didn't think it was anything like the best restaurant in NYC right now. As if nothing short of AMAZING!! means you like it.
I think there's a pricing aspect to it, too. People have limited funds (usually) and want to optimize their spending on the "amazing!!" places. At a place charging $45-50 an entree you'd hope you'd be in the "very good-to-great" category, versus "very good but not amazing" category. That's at least my guess as to the reactions.

Also, Starr basically coined the "good but not amazing" phrase for his restaurants. I think it's emblazoned on the servers' coats.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#114 Post by AlexS » December 20th, 2016, 10:06 am

No doubt, RCR ain't cheap...it's pretty danged expensive for cheese.

That said, count me among the people who think it's worth every penny (and then some).
s t e w @ r t

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#115 Post by George Hejna » December 20th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I paid $22 for a wheel that weighs 14.5oz. I think that is a very reasonable price.

George

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#116 Post by AlexS » December 20th, 2016, 2:02 pm

George Hejna wrote:I paid $22 for a wheel that weighs 14.5oz. I think that is a very reasonable price.

George
It's $35 direct, more than I normally pay for cheese but in this instance something I'm more than happy to have (repeatedly) done.
s t e w @ r t

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#117 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 20th, 2016, 10:45 pm

[quote="Tom Gibson"

Also, Starr basically coined the "good but not amazing" phrase for his restaurants. I think it's emblazoned on the servers' coats.[/quote]

I think this one is off-base when it comes to Le Coucou, though not untrue vis a vis his other restaurants. I live in Philly, which is Starr-Land, and they are all, as you say, good at best. Le Coucou has nothing whatsoever in common with other restaurants of his.

Tom Gibson

Rush Creek Reserve!

#118 Post by Tom Gibson » December 21st, 2016, 8:47 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Tom Gibson wrote:
Also, Starr basically coined the "good but not amazing" phrase for his restaurants. I think it's emblazoned on the servers' coats.
I think this one is off-base when it comes to Le Coucou, though not untrue vis a vis his other restaurants. I live in Philly, which is Starr-Land, and they are all, as you say, good at best. Le Coucou has nothing whatsoever in common with other restaurants of his.
I've never been to Le Coucou, so my snark may not apply there! I spent about 75% of my life in Philadelphia and that guy can sell modern decor and average food better than anyone! Although, I definitely missed Tangerine when it closed; it was my favorite of his spots and was walking distance from my apartment.

TSimpson

Rush Creek Reserve!

#119 Post by TSimpson » December 21st, 2016, 1:41 pm

FYI picking up some at DTLA Cheese market in a few. They literally just called and told me they got in a shipment, expect it to go soon.....say they've sold 12 cases so far!!!
T=Tyl3r

TSimpson

Rush Creek Reserve!

#120 Post by TSimpson » December 21st, 2016, 4:57 pm

TSimpson wrote:FYI picking up some at DTLA Cheese market in a few. They literally just called and told me they got in a shipment, expect it to go soon.....say they've sold 12 cases so far!!!
So lots of people spend a few hundred dollars on cheese for Christmas weekend right?

I'm 80% done on my Christmas Eve/Day meal prep and got an absolute killer cheese spread at DTLA Cheese. BTW, it's been mentioned before but the Black Betty is just another level as well.

One interesting note on the RCR from the friendly DTLA cheese monger: she suggested taking the rind and essentially making a gratin of potatoes and garlic (no cream or liquids) in it, baking int the oven and then flipping it over onto a plate when done. So simple yet sounds amazing. Will post TN on this preparation as it MUST be done.....
T=Tyl3r

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#121 Post by M.Kaplan » December 21st, 2016, 5:26 pm

Yes, Black Betty is all that, too. Just finished a healthy portion and now I'm contemplating which other cheeses to snack on with my old Springbank 12 100 proof. I prefer most cheeses with whisky rather than wine.
---Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#122 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 21st, 2016, 5:29 pm

This is killing me - been in Asia for 2 weeks now, and, while I adore the food here, I'm missing cheese big time. A visit to DiBruno's is almost always one of the first stops after we get home from Asia.

Black Betty....mmmm.....That was a new one for us this year, and we can't get over how good it is. Too bad so little of it comes into the country.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#123 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 21st, 2016, 5:39 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Yes, Black Betty is all that, too. Just finished a healthy portion and now I'm contemplating which other cheeses to snack on with my old Springbank 12 100 proof. I prefer most cheeses with whisky rather than wine.
If that's the Springbank I'm thinking of, I'm even more jealous. About 15-20 years ago release, reddish outline of black square, white writing? Or something close to that?

Brian Lynch

Rush Creek Reserve!

#124 Post by Brian Lynch » December 22nd, 2016, 9:42 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Yes, Black Betty is all that, too. Just finished a healthy portion and now I'm contemplating which other cheeses to snack on with my old Springbank 12 100 proof. I prefer most cheeses with whisky rather than wine.
Interesting

Please name a few you like and I will try them out.

Brian Lynch

Rush Creek Reserve!

#125 Post by Brian Lynch » December 22nd, 2016, 9:46 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:This is killing me - been in Asia for 2 weeks now, and, while I adore the food here, I'm missing cheese big time. A visit to DiBruno's is almost always one of the first stops after we get home from Asia.

Black Betty....mmmm.....That was a new one for us this year, and we can't get over how good it is. Too bad so little of it comes into the country.

Still have Black Betty and RCR for holidays and have added this for the season as well (from DiBruno), a domestic robiola-style:

http://cheesenotes.com/post/12056308515 ... cottonseed

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#126 Post by M.Kaplan » December 22nd, 2016, 6:00 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
If that's the Springbank I'm thinking of, I'm even more jealous. About 15-20 years ago release, reddish outline of black square, white writing? Or something close to that?
I'm sure there are a few bottles in the whisky clubs/bars in Japan. This is the whisky that Gordon Wright diluted from cask strength to 50% abv with very old whisky rather than water. Bottled around 20 years ago. An excellent accompaniment to aged cheeses. Great with Black Betty, aged Parmesan, aged Comte...
Attachments
IMG_9483.jpg
IMG_9483.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
---Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#127 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 22nd, 2016, 6:05 pm

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Delicious stuff.

No trouble finding good whisky in Asia. Cheese, on the other hand, is tough.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#128 Post by Craig G » December 22nd, 2016, 7:22 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Delicious stuff.

No trouble finding good whisky in Asia. Cheese, on the other hand, is tough.
You know where to find cheese in Tokyo, at least? There's a good shop in Tokyu Foodshow in Shibuya (nice wine shop there too), but I guess there would be others too.
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#129 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 22nd, 2016, 9:56 pm

Not in Tokyo this trip, but thanks.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#130 Post by John Morris » December 24th, 2016, 1:17 pm

FYI, Zabar's has the Rush Creek for $30.
"Cream is not the only bovine product that rises in a bull market." --Justin Hibbard -- @hibbard

"Facebook is a company started by a teen in his dorm room to rank the hotness of Harvard students that has today grown into the market leader in the field of apologizing for privacy violations."--Matt Levine, Bloomberg

ybarselah

Rush Creek Reserve!

#131 Post by ybarselah » December 24th, 2016, 1:19 pm

John Morris wrote:FYI, Zabar's has the Rush Creek for $30.
arb oppty between them and eataly?
Yaacov (ITB)

Mel Hill

Rush Creek Reserve!

#132 Post by Mel Hill » December 24th, 2016, 2:23 pm

IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG (24.37 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Wheel #2 (heated) Atouch funkier than the first one we had at Thanksgiving. Third one will be on NYE

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#133 Post by John Morris » December 26th, 2016, 7:28 am

ybarselah wrote:
John Morris wrote:FYI, Zabar's has the Rush Creek for $30.
arb oppty between them and eataly?
Good point. There are lots of those.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#134 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 29th, 2016, 7:47 am

Just picked up a small wheel of "Wynd in the Willough," which I was told is a special, very small production, cider-washed version of Jasper Hill's Willoughby.

Anyone have this one yet?

TSimpson

Rush Creek Reserve!

#135 Post by TSimpson » December 29th, 2016, 9:17 am

Haven't hear of that but found a single lonely wheel of RCR at Whole Foods in El Segundo yesterday. Needless to say it is in my fridge now...
T=Tyl3r

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#136 Post by Alan Rath » January 12th, 2017, 9:32 am

Kenny H wrote:Guess I will just have to settle for this

This is the winter only, supercharged version of the Harbison for those who are familiar, except it is hay fed. Same vacherin mont d'or style. It's just over 95 days aged right now. I'll crack it xmas eve.
I picked up one of these about a month ago. Supposedly pretty close to ready when I bought it, now with another 4 weeks of age. Cracked it last night, not particularly impressed. Too salty, relatively mild and uninteresting. Definitely not worth the price tag.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#137 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 12th, 2017, 11:07 am

Wow, I've never heard descriptors like "mild" or "uninteresting" applied to Harbison before. Sorry it was a disappointment.

In contrast, I had cheese leftover from the holidays and so brought a Harbison, a the cider-washed Willoughby I mentioned previously, and a Pleasant Ridge Reserve to the NY office with me where I shared it with my team. One person is a dedicated cheese lover, one a total cheese novice and the others in between. All of them liked the Harbison the best.

I guess it's like wine - no great cheeses, only great wheels. :)

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#138 Post by Alan Rath » January 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Well, one issue may be that it wasn't particularly ripe, still pretty solid and rubbery. But since Cowgirl (where I bought it) said they only sell it when its ready, and I let it sit another month, I figured it should be in a good place. So between being under ripe, and the salt level, it fell short of my expectations.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#139 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 12th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Solid and rubbery? Did you leave it out at room temp for a few hours before eating? I find a new wheel needs at least 3 hours to come to proper temp.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#140 Post by Alan Rath » January 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

I had it out for a while, it was at room temp when I ate it. More air time won't help this one, and once cut open it's not going to continue to ripen.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#141 Post by Kenny H » January 12th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Something wrong there. It should be almost the consistency of mayonnaise.
H0eve!kamp

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#142 Post by Alan Rath » January 12th, 2017, 3:34 pm

I wasn't expecting mayonnaise (maybe too ripe, even for my tastes), but definitely should have more gooey and soft.

Nolan E

Rush Creek Reserve!

#143 Post by Nolan E » January 12th, 2017, 3:46 pm

The wheel of Winnimere I last bought needed some warming in the oven to really shine, room temp wasn't enough.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#144 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 12th, 2017, 4:59 pm

Oops, pictures don't load for me at work so I just realized you had Winnimere, not Harbison. Even more odd!

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#145 Post by John Morris » February 10th, 2017, 8:53 am

FYI, the NY Times has an interesting feature on the research Jasper Creek is doing on bacterial and yeast cultures in cheeses. It seems they're really investing in the science. The results certainly are first rate!

David Cooper

Rush Creek Reserve!

#146 Post by David Cooper » February 12th, 2017, 9:40 am

A friend brought over a wheel of Winnimere to a lunch we had just after Christmas. She had purchased it at the Bellingham Costco. We served it alongside a Swiss Arnoux Mont d Or. It was brilliant. Ripe and earthy like a Rush Creek.

The Arnoux on the other hand was more like something made by Kraft. I have loved the French Arnoux but the Swiss is made from pasturised milk.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#147 Post by AlexS » February 12th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Had my last wheel of Rush Creek at the end of January a few days after the expiration date, was exceptional. Absolutely need to try the Winnimere, not seeing it locally anywhere so might have to order some.
s t e w @ r t

Chris S p i k e s

Rush Creek Reserve!

#148 Post by Chris S p i k e s » March 10th, 2017, 7:22 am

Winnamere advice, please.

I picked up a round of this back in mid to late December and put it in the fridge. The timing hasn't worked out to eat it unfortunately. So, now that I'm approaching nearly 3 months after purchase, should it still be fine to eat?

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#149 Post by P. Willenberg » March 10th, 2017, 8:54 am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:Winnamere advice, please.

I picked up a round of this back in mid to late December and put it in the fridge. The timing hasn't worked out to eat it unfortunately. So, now that I'm approaching nearly 3 months after purchase, should it still be fine to eat?
certainly. make sure to give it time to warm up and off gas.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#150 Post by AlexS » November 12th, 2017, 8:07 am

bump

New release is out, grabbed a wheel from my local WF and promptly devoured enough of it to make a sizable dent. Insanely delicious as always but I'd say this first wave is much funkier than last year...which is a great thing!
s t e w @ r t

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”