Rush Creek Reserve!

It’s been gone for so long… None in 2014, but it’s back fro 2015 and I am told it’s excellent. I’ll find out tonight. :slight_smile:

For those who don’t know, it’s made by Uplands Cheese, and is a raw cows’ milk Vacherin Mont d’Or style cheese made only in the fall when the cows start eating hay instead of grass. In my opinion, it is one of the great cows’ milk cheeses produced in this country.

Bummer it is soldout out on the Uplands website

Good news! I’ll have to check Murrays soon.

Guess I will just have to settle for this

This is the winter only, supercharged version of the Harbison for those who are familiar, except it is hay fed. Same vacherin mont d’or style. It’s just over 95 days aged right now. I’ll crack it xmas eve.

I bought direct from Uplands, where it sold out in a day. It is still available from their customary retailers. For less. It is my favorite American cheese. By a lot.

Yes, Winnimere is very good, too, and also just arrived recently. At DiBruno’s this morning, where they know their cheese, I specifically asked about the Winnimere versus the Rush Creek and they said, having tasted them both multiple times in the last week or so, the nod goes to Rush Creek at the moment - it’s at another level this year, said Samantha. Certainly can’t go wrong with either.

In case anyone was wondering why we’re all so excited to see this cheese available:

[http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108764&p=1628798&hilit=rush+creek#p1628798[url](http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108764&p=1628798&hilit=rush+creek#p1628798[url)][/url]

I remember! My birthday cheese thread. :slight_smile:

Yeah no reason too complain for either, a special treat for sure. For extra indulgence dip some Marcel Petit into that gooey goodness, oh yes!

The Rush Creek Reserve was delicious, no surprise. But perhaps a little…reserved (no pun intended), even at ideal temperature. I wonder if the issues with last year and federal idiocy made them change their methods? It’s not as exuberant as I have had in the past, with less of the bacon taste or deep richness. Still yummy, of course, just not quite what I expect from Rush Creek. What can I say, though - I’m very happy it’s back!!

Sarah,
Maybe it isn’t what it’s been. However, Rush Creek was just released for sale. I’ve tasted two wheels; both seem a bit under ripe and reserved. My guess is that they need to age a bit. I hope so, as my refrigerators at home and office house quite a few.

Edit: Just had a bite or two from a cheese that has been at room temp for hours. Not yet ripe. I’m going to wait a while before eating another.

Thanks for the input, Mark. We’d wondered the same and will wait to buy the next one, as local merchants have plenty and store properly. It’s always a narrow path between ripe (desirable) and sporting ammonia (unbearable). I guess one needs to test regularly. :slight_smile:

This style is pretty young yet, our monger mentioned it was just hitting ripeness at 90 days. I will see where ours is at around 100 days. Fingers crossed.

In the interest of science and gluttony, I picked up a half while buying some other stuff at a neighborhood cheese shop. Perfectly ripe. Yum!

I love the Uplands Alpine style cheeses!!!

You guys are a bad influence. Looking forward to trying this. If it is anything at all like Mont d’Or, I will be absolutely delighted.

Its funny, I just came onto the thread to post pretty much the exact same thing. Tastes like . . . Harbison. Not that that’s a bad thing, but . . .

1 Like

Tonight, I tasted two different wheels of Rush Creek Reserve and a newly purchased Winnimere. I preferred both of the Rush Creek to the Winnimere, which, while very good, wasn’t as funky good (much less alder influence). I also snagged the real deal today. Game on!

Have a look at this link to a visit to the production facility.

:slight_smile: Just got one of the last Winnemere from Murray’s… First timer for me!

Cheers!
Marshall