Rush Creek Reserve!

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#1 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2015, 7:49 am

It's been gone for so long... None in 2014, but it's back fro 2015 and I am told it's excellent. I'll find out tonight. :)

For those who don't know, it's made by Uplands Cheese, and is a raw cows' milk Vacherin Mont d'Or style cheese made only in the fall when the cows start eating hay instead of grass. In my opinion, it is one of the great cows' milk cheeses produced in this country.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on December 18th, 2015, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mel Hill

Rush Creek Reserve!

#2 Post by Mel Hill » December 18th, 2015, 7:58 am

Bummer it is soldout out on the Uplands website

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#3 Post by Jay Miller » December 18th, 2015, 8:13 am

Good news! I'll have to check Murrays soon.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#4 Post by Kenny H » December 18th, 2015, 8:58 am

Guess I will just have to settle for this

This is the winter only, supercharged version of the Harbison for those who are familiar, except it is hay fed. Same vacherin mont d'or style. It's just over 95 days aged right now. I'll crack it xmas eve.
H0eve!kamp

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#5 Post by M.Kaplan » December 18th, 2015, 9:08 am

I bought direct from Uplands, where it sold out in a day. It is still available from their customary retailers. For less. It is my favorite American cheese. By a lot.
---Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2015, 9:27 am

Kenny H wrote:Guess I will just have to settle for this

This is the winter only, supercharged version of the Harbison for those who are familiar, except it is hay fed. Same vacherin mont d'or style. It's just over 95 days aged right now. I'll crack it xmas eve.
Yes, Winnimere is very good, too, and also just arrived recently. At DiBruno's this morning, where they know their cheese, I specifically asked about the Winnimere versus the Rush Creek and they said, having tasted them both multiple times in the last week or so, the nod goes to Rush Creek at the moment - it's at another level this year, said Samantha. Certainly can't go wrong with either.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#7 Post by Jay Miller » December 18th, 2015, 12:11 pm

In case anyone was wondering why we're all so excited to see this cheese available:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 628798[url][/url]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#8 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I remember! My birthday cheese thread. :)

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#9 Post by Kenny H » December 18th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Yeah no reason too complain for either, a special treat for sure. For extra indulgence dip some Marcel Petit into that gooey goodness, oh yes!
H0eve!kamp

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#10 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2015, 6:28 pm

The Rush Creek Reserve was delicious, no surprise. But perhaps a little....reserved (no pun intended), even at ideal temperature. I wonder if the issues with last year and federal idiocy made them change their methods? It's not as exuberant as I have had in the past, with less of the bacon taste or deep richness. Still yummy, of course, just not quite what I expect from Rush Creek. What can I say, though - I'm very happy it's back!!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#11 Post by M.Kaplan » December 18th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Sarah,
Maybe it isn't what it's been. However, Rush Creek was just released for sale. I've tasted two wheels; both seem a bit under ripe and reserved. My guess is that they need to age a bit. I hope so, as my refrigerators at home and office house quite a few.

Edit: Just had a bite or two from a cheese that has been at room temp for hours. Not yet ripe. I'm going to wait a while before eating another.
---Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#12 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 18th, 2015, 6:52 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:Sarah,
Maybe it isn't what it's been. However, Rush Creek was just released for sale. I've tasted two wheels; both seem a bit under ripe and reserved. My guess is that they need to age a bit. I hope so, as my refrigerators at home and office house quite a few.

Edit: Just had a bite or two from a cheese that has been at room temp for hours. Not yet ripe. I'm going to wait a while before eating another.
Thanks for the input, Mark. We'd wondered the same and will wait to buy the next one, as local merchants have plenty and store properly. It's always a narrow path between ripe (desirable) and sporting ammonia (unbearable). I guess one needs to test regularly. :)

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#13 Post by Kenny H » December 18th, 2015, 9:19 pm

This style is pretty young yet, our monger mentioned it was just hitting ripeness at 90 days. I will see where ours is at around 100 days. Fingers crossed.
H0eve!kamp

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#14 Post by M.Kaplan » December 19th, 2015, 1:12 pm

In the interest of science and gluttony, I picked up a half while buying some other stuff at a neighborhood cheese shop. Perfectly ripe. Yum!

---Mark

Drew Goin

Rush Creek Reserve!

#15 Post by Drew Goin » December 19th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I love the Uplands Alpine style cheeses!!!

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#16 Post by dcornutt » December 19th, 2015, 3:56 pm

You guys are a bad influence. Looking forward to trying this. If it is anything at all like Mont d'Or, I will be absolutely delighted.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

D@v1dZ

Rush Creek Reserve!

#17 Post by D@v1dZ » December 20th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:The Rush Creek Reserve was delicious, no surprise. But perhaps a little....reserved (no pun intended), even at ideal temperature. I wonder if the issues with last year and federal idiocy made them change their methods? It's not as exuberant as I have had in the past, with less of the bacon taste or deep richness. Still yummy, of course, just not quite what I expect from Rush Creek. What can I say, though - I'm very happy it's back!!
Its funny, I just came onto the thread to post pretty much the exact same thing. Tastes like . . . Harbison. Not that that's a bad thing, but . . .

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#18 Post by M.Kaplan » December 23rd, 2015, 6:19 pm

Tonight, I tasted two different wheels of Rush Creek Reserve and a newly purchased Winnimere. I preferred both of the Rush Creek to the Winnimere, which, while very good, wasn't as funky good (much less alder influence). I also snagged the real deal today. Game on!

---Mark

Mel Hill

Rush Creek Reserve!

#19 Post by Mel Hill » December 26th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Have a look at this link to a visit to the production facility.
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p354060

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#20 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 8th, 2016, 10:49 am

:) Just got one of the last Winnemere from Murray's.... First timer for me!

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#21 Post by M.Kaplan » January 8th, 2016, 11:05 am

Winnemere is very good this year. Did they tell you how to serve/eat it?
---Mark

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#22 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 8th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Mark; we ate about half ......following the instructions from the cheese label and the cheese monger from Murray's. Really quite good and everyone liked it. We actually were under semi - control at Murray's and bought larger pieces of fewer cheeses.

It was a good day as Murray's was our second stop after Russ and Daughters....... 4 types of smoked salmon, pickled herring with cream sauce, sable, and whitefish salad, and of course, chocolate/ orange rugelach.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#23 Post by John Morris » January 12th, 2016, 10:07 am

Haven't had the Rush Creek, but I have long loved the Pleasant Ridge Reserve and my wife and I are Harbison and Winnemere addicts.

Remember, not so long ago, when there were virtually on interesting American cheeses? What a difference a decade makes!
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#24 Post by Kenny H » January 13th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Forgot to update this after eating the Winnemere last week.

I found it very bacon-y and mustard-y. Plenty of funk adding depth. Big step up from Harbison. Had it with several crackers but the great addition was some truffle honey. The umami really blasted out then. I loved the addition of the bitter salty rind once in a while.
H0eve!kamp

P. Willenberg

Rush Creek Reserve!

#25 Post by P. Willenberg » January 14th, 2016, 12:01 pm

this makes me hungry. I'm headed to Murray's tonight to see what they have. Any other cheeses I should look for they normally carry?
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#26 Post by scamhi » January 14th, 2016, 1:24 pm

I stopped by Ideal Cheese on first ave bet 51 and 52nd streets.
I picked up a couple of Rolf Beeler cheeses a Büffel Reblochon and a fantastic 18 month Gruyere.

Paul at Murray's they have a gruyere type cheese that they cave age called Etivaz that is excellent.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

P. Willenberg

Rush Creek Reserve!

#27 Post by P. Willenberg » January 28th, 2016, 10:16 am

so my local Murray's didn't have the Rush Creek, but did have some 50% off past poll date Pont l'Eveque. So I'm going to call myself a winner.

They also had this local cheese that maybe your Murray's might too? http://threeringfarm.com/

Their bloomy rind goat cheese is fantastic.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Mel Hill

Rush Creek Reserve!

#28 Post by Mel Hill » November 13th, 2016, 2:26 pm

They are now taking orders for the 2016 release

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Rush Creek Reserve!

#29 Post by Chris Freemott » November 14th, 2016, 7:01 am

Thanks Mel. Order placed.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#30 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 14th, 2016, 8:52 am

It's on the shelf at DiBruno Bros. in Philadelphia now. Had our first wheel this weekend. Very good, if still a little young. In a line up with Black Betty and Tomme Dolce, it certainly held its own. What a selection of rock stars!

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#31 Post by scamhi » November 15th, 2016, 6:22 pm

I ordered online as well from Upland Cheese Company. the Rush Creek Reserve that are releasing on 11/14. I ordered on Monday and have not heard anything about shipping yet.
S u z a n n e C a m h i

P. Willenberg

Rush Creek Reserve!

#32 Post by P. Willenberg » November 16th, 2016, 6:21 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Kenny H wrote:Guess I will just have to settle for this

Yes, Winnimere is very good, too, and also just arrived recently. At DiBruno's this morning, where they know their cheese, I specifically asked about the Winnimere versus the Rush Creek and they said, having tasted them both multiple times in the last week or so, the nod goes to Rush Creek at the moment - it's at another level this year, said Samantha. Certainly can't go wrong with either.
aha! I saw this at my local Murray's yesterday and didn't buy it. I should have checked here first. Thanks for the tip! champagne.gif
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#33 Post by Kenny H » November 16th, 2016, 1:34 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:
aha! I saw this at my local Murray's yesterday and didn't buy it. I should have checked here first. Thanks for the tip! champagne.gif
Don't be afraid to let it sit for a bit. I was at 110 days aged when I cracked mine last year.

And if you happen to have some truffle and honey sitting around, GET IT ON THERE.
H0eve!kamp

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#34 Post by Bob Hughes » November 17th, 2016, 6:13 am

After first consulting with my local cheese sensei (aka Sarah Kirschbaum [cheers.gif] ), last night we had the Rush Creek Reserve side-by-side with a wheel of the Harbison.

Wines were a 2014 Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d'Ange and a 2011 Vissoux/Chermette Beaujolais VV Traditionnelle.

These are two great cheeses - I realize that I am preaching to the choir with that observation, but I have to admit that I was very impressed with the Harbison. To me, the Rush Creek is an earthier cheese (and went well with the Beaujolais), but I kept coming back for more Harbison - maybe more straightforward and less complex than the Rush Creek, but it's purity of flavor almost felt like the essence of cheese.

I still prefer the Rush Creek, but these are both worthy.

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#35 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 17th, 2016, 6:24 am

So glad you enjoyed them both, Bob. We are lucky to have the easily available to us in Philadelphia.

Brian Lynch

Rush Creek Reserve!

#36 Post by Brian Lynch » November 17th, 2016, 9:16 am

Had RCR last night + Black Betty (with Pistaschioso spread). Deelish. Sarah, what wine do you like to pair with RCR?

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#37 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 17th, 2016, 9:26 am

Love both those cheeses. Black Betty was new to me this year and it's terrific!

With Rush Creek, I would ideally choose a medium maturity red burgundy, but it's quite flexible. Plenty of whites will work well, too. We have a Jurancon Sec we like a lot that is always a good match.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#38 Post by AlexS » November 17th, 2016, 8:27 pm

This cheese.

Absolutely redonkulous, sooooooo effing good.

I'm a huge fan of this style, never met a decent double or triple-crème I haven't fallen in love with. That said, this cheese is like taking the best of the best and knocking the complexity up a notch with a savory/meaty character that pretty much epitomizes epic deliciousness.

I let it warm up and served it to a couple friends with my favorite baguette and a bottle of 2010 Secret de Grand Bateau Blanc, such a perfect combo and one which made an ordinary November evening feel like a very special occasion. Needless to say, we killed all of it!

Sarah, thx so much for starting this thread, you rock.

[cheers.gif]

(even better this cheese is made in WI!)
s t e w @ r t

Kenny H

Rush Creek Reserve!

#39 Post by Kenny H » November 17th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:After first consulting with my local cheese sensei (aka Sarah Kirschbaum [cheers.gif] ), last night we had the Rush Creek Reserve side-by-side with a wheel of the Harbison.

Wines were a 2014 Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d'Ange and a 2011 Vissoux/Chermette Beaujolais VV Traditionnelle.

These are two great cheeses - I realize that I am preaching to the choir with that observation, but I have to admit that I was very impressed with the Harbison. To me, the Rush Creek is an earthier cheese (and went well with the Beaujolais), but I kept coming back for more Harbison - maybe more straightforward and less complex than the Rush Creek, but it's purity of flavor almost felt like the essence of cheese.

I still prefer the Rush Creek, but these are both worthy.
Get a wheel of Winnimere. It is Harbison on steroids, more earthy, a better comparison.
H0eve!kamp

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#40 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 18th, 2016, 11:02 am

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. There's many more knowledgeable than I am, but happy I can make my little bit of knowledge go a long way.

As my husband's favorite t-shirt says "What a Friend we have in Cheeses!"

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#41 Post by Ethan Abraham » November 18th, 2016, 11:30 am

Alas already sold out at Zabar's. My wife picked up the "Vaccarinus Petit Vacherin" on recommendation from the cheesemonger as a replacement which I gather is a similar cheese from Switzerland. She says "I think it's the most perfect cheese I've ever had." Hopefully there will be some left for me to try tonight.

R Roberts

Rush Creek Reserve!

#42 Post by R Roberts » November 19th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the thread- this cheese is new to me but sounds intriguing!
R.ama

P. Willenberg

Rush Creek Reserve!

#43 Post by P. Willenberg » November 20th, 2016, 8:07 am

So if you're in Portland, Cheese Bar has the Rush Creek Reserve. For the Harbison, both Costco and Murray's have it with Costco about half the price.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Thomas Bougetz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Rush Creek Reserve!

#44 Post by Thomas Bougetz » November 20th, 2016, 8:38 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:Alas already sold out at Zabar's. My wife picked up the "Vaccarinus Petit Vacherin" on recommendation from the cheesemonger as a replacement which I gather is a similar cheese from Switzerland. She says "I think it's the most perfect cheese I've ever had." Hopefully there will be some left for me to try tonight.
Got the same recommendation from my Cheese Monger, when looking for Mont D'Or. Haven't tried it yet. Waiting for family to show up this week and I know they'll all want a taste.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#45 Post by Craig G » November 20th, 2016, 8:41 am

I picked one of these up in Boston yesterday and will be eating it with my mom and brother in Vermont today! Getting hungry...
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#46 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 20th, 2016, 11:12 am

>>(even better this cheese is made in WI!)
Was so waiting for that LOL!!!!!!!

Man, I've become a cheese whore. It's terrible; I lose all dignity when somebody brings Vacherin into the room.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

fred o.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#47 Post by fred o. » November 20th, 2016, 8:13 pm

I've never been much of a cheese connoisseur but this thread inspired me and I got a wheel (?) of Rush Creek Reserve from DTLA Cheese in Grand Central Market in LA today. The whole experience kinda reminded me of when I was a whiskey newbie and had heard about Pappy online (mostly at the straightbourbon forums) and went into stores looking for it without knowing much about bourbon or whiskey in general; of course, this was a couple of years before Pappy became an elusive unicorn, and it was still on the shelves in places.

Anyways, I had called earlier and then went in later, and it was such a consumerist pleasure/relief to be able to purchase it on the spot. I asked the counter person whether we could age it longer, like 100 days like some people were saying above, and she almost laughed at me, telling me that I'd likely need a special fridge with specific temp/humidity controls, and recommended eating it within a week. This was just before I asked about the Epoisses sitting right next to the RCR and pronounced it in the worst American-English accent possible; I'm grateful that she corrected it with the correct French pronunciation with a straight face.

After all that buildup, tasting the cheese itself was really pleasurable. I think we had it too cold, not warmed up/room temp sufficiently, and it was a little subtle, kind of like a tight wine needing decanting. But it was rich and I could taste the slight smoked-meat flavor, and it went really well with a Pepiere muscadet. I'm really looking forward to exploring more of the cheese there at dtla cheese and sharing in this journey, thanks for the recs!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#48 Post by M.Kaplan » November 20th, 2016, 8:59 pm

I picked up my first batch ctoday. They feel like they need a week or so before they are ready to eat. YMMV.
---Mark

Sarah Kirschbaum

Rush Creek Reserve!

#49 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 21st, 2016, 4:44 am

Mark - that was our impression of the first wheel. But since we were leaving town, we ate it anyway.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rush Creek Reserve!

#50 Post by scamhi » November 21st, 2016, 6:03 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Mark - that was our impression of the first wheel. But since we were leaving town, we ate it anyway.
Planning to open one tomorrow night.
Should I move it from the refrigerator to the wine cellar?
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”