Frankenfish

FDA approves genetically modified Atlantic salmon: Genetically modified salmon gets FDA approval for consumption - MarketWatch

I’d eat it with no qualms.

+1

It took seven years to get FDA approval. I expect market acceptance will take longer. Much longer.

I wouldn’t worry about safety as much as I’d worry about flavor. Farmed salmon does not have same the depth of flavor as wild caught salmon.

I’ll bet it will be as tasty as those tomatoes modified to grow and “ripen” faster.

Looking past the end of my nose, I hope that thse things don’t get out in the wild. Raising them in the general area* of Jurassic Park does give pause…

*Panama = neighbor of Costa Rica

I doubt it. Is it even required to be labelled GMO? Do restaurants need to tell you that your fish is GMO?

George

Almost universally not worth eating in my view. Though I admit that’s limited to Scotland and Norway. Wild and farmed are not comparable.

Think again. Farmed Atlantic salmon with clams is a real treat! :wink: [snort.gif] newhere

No, it will not require labelling (per the FDA press release).

You forgot the most important emoji for that joke:

pileon

This should gain acceptance immediately in the sushi market

If you can’t tell the difference between wild and farm raised your palate is so really gone it doesn’t make a difference what you eat. rolleyes

Definitely. Maybe a squeeze of lemon but no qualms.

As others have mentioned I’d have to see what it tastes like to eat it more than once though.

The Lobster Place has some organically farmed salmon (I think they’re hand fed, scored 1600 on their SATs and attended Harvard given the pricing) which is a pretty good alternative when wild salmon isn’t available.

But in general your point holds.

Costco said Friday it does not intend to sell genetically modified salmon at this time, joining a list of retailers that say they will not sell the fish despite the approval Thursday by the federal Food and Drug Administration of such fish for human consumption.
Retailers including Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Target and Kroger have all said they are not planning to sell AquAdvantage Salmon.

One of the beautiful luxuries to be had in living in the PNW is Salmon. Atlantic Salmon is already in the back seat quality wise, making it GMO too hardly matters.

I think it’s fine as long as you only feed it to people who take human growth hormones.

Bruce

They’ll find lots of willing buyers if they can underprice other sources. I wouldn’t worry about AquaAdvantage, Inc.

If you honestly don’t like the taste, don’t like even responsible aquaculture, or worry about interbreeding; don’t buy it. But “frankenfish”??? c’mon. Are 99.99% of European wines “frankenwines” because they came from vines grafted onto American rootstock? Are carrots “frankenveg” because they are the result of careful breeding to honor William of Orange/Dutch independence?

Atlantic salmon makes better lox. Otherwise, no thanks