Waffle House > French Laundry?

Bourdain thinks so…

Well, they went for the full experience by going there drunk.

Tiger Woods nods his head in complete agreement…

Innumerable visits during my life in Dixie. Nothing but first-class stories as I experienced life’s rich pageant in that warm, yellow glow.

I realize the quip was meant in jest, but I think he’s become a bit of a parody of himself.

Monday morning after the race I was forced to go under duress to the Pancake House on Bellevue & Rush by some a-hole DR friends. Never been to Waffle House, but if it’s anything remotely similar to Pancake House…then I loathe Bourdain even more than I thought possible.

I haven’t been to that Pancake House in a while, but I used to like the dutch apple pancake. As for Waffle House…it’s closer to IHOP than the Pancake House.

^this here^
The only thing better than them cheesy hash browns is the people watching especially in the wee hours.

It makes sense. Bourdain is still a child. I used to like Waffle House when I was a kid. My dad – from Virginia – would take us there on road trips out of nostalgia.

When I was in college I got violently ill after eating sausage at a Waffle House. I tried to go back one more time a few years later. Couldn’t do it. It’s really hard to justify eating there, even compared to a place like Denny’s (much less Cracker Barrel). Even the people watching is usually not that interesting. It’s just tired cross-country travelers.

I bet I would have hated The French Laundry when I was 8 though.

The last time I was in the Baltimore area (a couple months ago), I stopped at a Cracker Barrel for breakfast. It refreshed my memory as to why I hadn’t been to one in ~15yrs. Next time, I’ll seek out the local places like I tend to do normally when I’m on the road.

Nothing better than a good breakfast and not much worse than a bad one.

Oh, and I’m no longer a Bourdain fan either.

You don’t eff with the Waffle House in these parts!
An Institution.
Certainly best enjoyed late-night when shitfaced like Brock and Bourdain appeared to be.
Morning after is good, too, when you need some grease to soak up the booze.

The classical music seemed an odd choice given the actual ambiance.

Bruce

They initially tried this, but it didn’t work out so well.

You highfalutin big city boys just don’t get it. When you finish a baseball tournament with your kids at 11:30 at night and they are hungry and it’s the middle of nowhere that yellow glow is a beacon of hope. When you leave on a family vacation at 4:30 in the morning and the kids are asleep when you put them in the car and they wake up in Pineapple, AL hungry at 6:00 am The Waffle House is manna from heaven.

Things may be open all the time in the big city, but in the rest of the country your late night early morning options are pretty limited. Now that they are non-smoking they have more appeal as well.

And when you need to soak up your transgressions from the night before nothing better than the embarrassment of starchy richness that the Waffle House can send your way.

That’s about as drunk as I’ve seen Bourdain, actually. Although that one time he was in either China or Russia (back in the No Res days) partying outside with that man and woman in the snow comes close…

831 Gulf Breeze Highway was my home-base but 17352 Perdido Key Hwy my favorite location.

Anthony Bourdain needs to move to Tuscany.

Ha!

That said, I’d head to Waffle House with Sean Brock any day of the week. Dude seems extremely grounded and likable.

What Sean has done with these long forgotten vegetable and grain varieties is impressive. Later in that show the pink heirloom grits looked amazing.