Recent New Orleans Eats

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
F.Daner

Re: Recent New Orleans Eats

#101 Post by F.Daner » April 8th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I've been to both Bywater and Compere and preferred Bywater. Primarily because of the menu and dishes. I've had lunch and dinner at Compere. Preparation was excellent but overall the menu just didn't do it for me. We really enjoyed Bywater and the menu choices. I would add Pesche to your list over Compere. We've eaten at Maypop several times and have loved every meal. Our best meal from our October trip and where I wish i would have eaten the night I was in town 2 weeks ago is at Carrollton Market http://carrolltonmarket.com/. Highly recommend it and it's in the Riverbend area so not too far from Uptown.

cheers
J Diven wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Any updates from March visits?
We are there 4/13-4/20, staying in Uptown, and have a number of things set up including Coquette, Compere Lapin and Maypop.
Considering Bywater...
Fred

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by J Diven » April 10th, 2019, 9:45 am

F.Daner wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 5:07 pm
I've been to both Bywater and Compere and preferred Bywater. Primarily because of the menu and dishes. I've had lunch and dinner at Compere. Preparation was excellent but overall the menu just didn't do it for me. We really enjoyed Bywater and the menu choices. I would add Pesche to your list over Compere. We've eaten at Maypop several times and have loved every meal. Our best meal from our October trip and where I wish i would have eaten the night I was in town 2 weeks ago is at Carrollton Market http://carrolltonmarket.com/. Highly recommend it and it's in the Riverbend area so not too far from Uptown.

cheers
J Diven wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Any updates from March visits?
We are there 4/13-4/20, staying in Uptown, and have a number of things set up including Coquette, Compere Lapin and Maypop.
Considering Bywater...
Thanks for the input. Had already booked Carrollton Market - not sure why I omitted it above.
Chose it over nearby Brigtsen's and DTB for this trip. Just too many places to try in a week.
Jim

Dave Sankaran

#103 Post by Dave Sankaran » April 11th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Glad to see the love for Luizzas and Casamentos and shaya and a few others that I love. We try to get to NOLA 1-2x per year to eat and enjoy the city. I recently wrote the following for some folks that wanted my thoughts on where to eat. Thought I'd share it here:

Oysters - there are several. Casamento's works for me.

Po Boys - there are several. Parkway is good all around. Casamento's for oyster poboy. But the best for beef debris poboy imo is Domilise's.

Best all round lunch place - Liuzza's. Very special place. The BBQ Shrimp poboy is amazing and not to be missed. Their etouffee and gumbo are plus level.

Coolest dinner spot = Jacques Imo's. Don't miss it. Order anything, it will be good. Runner up Cafe Degas.

Very quaint and good food = Bistro Daisy (for a quiet dinner)

Something different = Shaya. Fantastic, fresh, light Mediterranean/middle eastern. Love this place. A must go when I'm in nola.

Essential Nola (Casual) = Dookie Chase, Mother's, Willie Mae's Scotch house (I guess you gotta go once to each. But really only Dookie Chase and then only for the lunch buffet is really worth it)

Essential Nola (Fancy) = Commander's, Brennan's, Galatoire’s

Best fine dining - many choices, but I like August a lot. (They have a $29 three-course prix fixe lunch offering that is among the best fine dinning values in the country. Might only be on Friday, can't recall)

Places I have wanted to go, but haven't been yet = Neyow's Creole Cafe, Bacchanal Fine Wine & Spirits (for sunday afternoon concerts), Jamila's Mediterranean Cuisine. I had all three of these booked for our last visit, but ended up canceling as we simply couldn't eat another bite when the reservation day/time rolled around (these were dinner's during jazz fest). These places are "next up" on my list.

Its my favorite food town in the world...looking back I've had great meals at all of these places, most of them more than once.

But, if I had to make a list of "places I'd go if it were my last trip to nola", I guess that list would be:

Lunches:
- Shaya
- Liuzza's
- Domilise's
- Casamento's

Dinners:
- Jaques Imo's
- One of Commanders/Brennans/Galatoires
- August
- Try some of the new places to me - Neyow's, Jamila's, Bachhanal

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#104 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » April 17th, 2019, 4:57 am

Had a delicious dinner at Saba last week. We ordered a variety of plates and it was more than enough food. They are doing really great stuff there - it's pretty much the opposite of traditional New Orleans cuisine, but I do think it's one of the best restaurants in the city.

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by J Diven » April 19th, 2019, 8:21 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 4:57 am
Had a delicious dinner at Saba last week. We ordered a variety of plates and it was more than enough food. They are doing really great stuff there - it's pretty much the opposite of traditional New Orleans cuisine, but I do think it's one of the best restaurants in the city.
Stopped in for lunch Wednesday. Just the 2 of us so a little limited in dishes. We had the blue crab hummus, shakshouka, and lamb kabab - all very good. Would have loved to have ordered multiple small plates from the Salitim they looked interesting. Would recommend going with maybe 4 people to share more dishes.

We are not eating that much ‘traditional’ food, but it was a good break nonetheless. Never been to Shaya so no insights there...
Jim

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Christine Huang » April 23rd, 2019, 4:31 am

Alon Shaya is no longer affiliated with Shaya after the John Besh scandal. He opened Saba and that’s where I go now. It’s my favorite restaurant in NOLA. If you like his food, his cookbook is excellent. It’s a great read, the recipes are approachable and faithful to what’s served at Saba.

Dave Sankaran

#107 Post by Dave Sankaran » April 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

Christine Huang wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 4:31 am
Alon Shaya is no longer affiliated with Shaya after the John Besh scandal. He opened Saba and that’s where I go now. It’s my favorite restaurant in NOLA. If you like his food, his cookbook is excellent. It’s a great read, the recipes are approachable and faithful to what’s served at Saba.
I heard that they parted ways, but hadn't heard about his new restaurant. Thanks for the tip...can't wait to try it on our next visit.

Do you find Shaya as good as always, or do you think its changed?

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Marshall Gelb » April 29th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Made a reservation for "Bordeaux.".........new on Magazine and if we have time, I have heard good things about "Gris Gris." In addition, we will try Bywater Bistro for the first time. Love the city and it is always a challenge to balance our favorites with new openings.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif
WoW! Quoting myself, what an egotist! [snort.gif] Seriously, Bordeaux was just delicious, especially for a restaurant that was only open for about 2 1/2 weeks. Nice French flair with a great rotisserie. A very interesting but moderate wine list. Not "grand," but if we lived in New Orleans, we would be there often. Gris Gris was much more "New Orleans....Definitely hipper than Bordeaux with a relatively young clientele. However, to us, almost everyone is younger! [stirthepothal.gif] We sat at the "chef's table which was fun but a bit hectic. We would definitely return. On the complete other end of the spectrum, we had a fantastic meal at Galatoire's We were lucky enough to score fantastic seats for Hamilton, so we booked lunch at Galatoire's. Just a wonderful "old school" experience....three hours later, we waddled back to our hotel to rest up for the show. Perfect service and some surprisingly good deals on the wine list. We didn't bring any wine with us this year, but New Orleans ids pretty liberal with its' corkage policies. Next year, for our 40th anniversary , we will probably pack a few bottles. We love the city and also very much enjoyed Bywater Bistro for dinner as well as Cochon, Maypop (great flavors), Grand Isle, and the Bourbon House for lunch.

Can't wait to go back!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by J Diven » April 29th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Dinner:
Coquette - tasting menu, wine pairings. this was a great meal and sure seems like a required stop every trip.
DTB - ‘Coastal Cajun’ modern place out in Carrollton. Some nice fresh dishes here, some traditional, some a bit innovative.
Carrollton Market - This was delish and worth a return trip. But I do want to get to nearby Brigtsen’s one of these visits.
Compere Lapin - We were at Jazz at the Square, so this was a natural for dinner - very good meal. Conch croquettes, Curried Goat Sweet potato gnocchi, adobo pork with plantain creme, other innovative caribbean influenced fare. 2017 Pepiere Briords on the list was a no brainer. My wife had a cocktail she enjoyed but lots of kids drinking something out of a bronze rabbit sippy cup - avoid?
Commanders Palace - this was near our AirBnB and our ‘classic’ meal for the week. Good service and great wine list (that I can't afford). Food was pretty average in my opinion. Better gumbo at Tableau, DTB. No desire to go back. Maybe try Brennan’s when we are back in October? (I haven't been since 1980). Hint to Huet fans, for some reason they bury the demi-sec in the ‘Stickies’ section and it is a good match for the food. 2010 Clos du Bourg was a highlight of the meal. They have 85 Le Mont if you can afford it.
Maypop - what everybody is raving about. Lots of rez availability and was a bit slow on a Friday so maybe a little concerning, but it was Good Friday. Slow Roasted Duckling was massive, but made for excellent leftovers.

Lunch:
Cochon - full dinner menu at lunch I believe. Pork cheek andouille jambalaya, fried livers. The signature Cochon dish as good as advertised. Amazingly good greens. People kept getting seated next to us and then figuring out they wanted to be at the Cochon Butcher sandwich shop next door.
Saba - discussed this up thread. Very good.
Atchafalaya - lunch, brunch whatever this was a solid neighborhood place. We didn’t order it but observed on neighboring tables be forwarned, the chicken and biscuits are HUGE, like to feed 2 or 3.

Others
Bar Francis - Freret St corridor, happy hour with some friends. Some very good bites - fried chickpeas, lamb meatballs, whipped feta. Ordered Octopus off the appetizer menu and it was salty beyond words (and I am a salt lover). Tried nothing else from the regular menu. Some nice cocktails and btg wines.
Tableau - hungry in the early/mid afternoon wandered into this Dickie Brennan place in the quarter. Good gumbo, egg dish, wedge salad. Wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but it was solid.
Jim

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#110 Post by Robert M yers » April 29th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Doing coquette for the first time tomorrow. Can you give me some idea of the tasting menu? Unless I know the chefs food a blind 5 course makes me a Bit nervous. It just doesn’t leave a lot of leeway for an off coarse or one that’s just not a favorite.

Did you find the pairing a value? Was it 5 small pours?

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by J Diven » April 30th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 9:17 pm
Doing coquette for the first time tomorrow. Can you give me some idea of the tasting menu? Unless I know the chefs food a blind 5 course makes me a Bit nervous. It just doesn’t leave a lot of leeway for an off coarse or one that’s just not a favorite.

Did you find the pairing a value? Was it 5 small pours?
Well you can certainly order off the menu instead. I've only been the one time so can't tell you if my experience was typical, I was just looking for as much immersion as possible. There was a tasty fried ball thingy (this seems to be a local trend) as an amuse, followed by an excellent baby asparagus dish, followed by a quite excellent rice dish (that seemed like maybe a specialty of theirs), a fish course, a chicken course, followed by dessert. I'm guessing you can probably expect that general progression. But as the restaurant is very focused on sourced ingredients, I would expect the dishes themselves to change quite a bit. All the plates were small with the exception of the chicken which clearly served as the 'entree' of the meal. Sorry I do not recall the dessert, but I am not a real dessert person.

On the pairings I thought they fit fairly well. Nothing I had heard of before, nothing expensive. Sorry, I'm not a millennial so I do not document anything. A Loire sparkler and a white, an alsatian riesling, a beaujolais with the chicken. Some thing described as a sherry but tasting a lot closer to a madeira with dessert. A day or two later I was in Spirit Wines a small natural/bio shop several blocks down Magazine and they had the 2 Loire wines. So they seem to be drawing on natural wines being distributed locally.

Two other comments about the pairings. 1. The pours were small but ample with the exception of the beaujolais. The chicken course was larger and I could have used another ounce of wine with the course, but that is just me I think. My wife did just fine. 2. There is no pairing for the Amuse, so you may want to order a cocktail, or a glass of white or a sparkler in advance. I missed having it, but we were going out late to a club with friends afterwards so did not order any type of apertif.

Enjoy!
Jim

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#112 Post by Robert M yers » April 30th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Just landed and got settled into the hotel. Much Appreciate the great insight Jim, very helpful!

F.Daner

#113 Post by F.Daner » June 23rd, 2019, 3:22 am

Nice work ! Agree with you on Commanders based on our last visit. It will be tough not to have Carrollton Market and Maypop on the list for our next visit. I loved Coquette when it first opened. Really need to make it back.
J Diven wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 5:13 pm
Dinner:
Coquette - tasting menu, wine pairings. this was a great meal and sure seems like a required stop every trip.
DTB - ‘Coastal Cajun’ modern place out in Carrollton. Some nice fresh dishes here, some traditional, some a bit innovative.
Carrollton Market - This was delish and worth a return trip. But I do want to get to nearby Brigtsen’s one of these visits.
Compere Lapin - We were at Jazz at the Square, so this was a natural for dinner - very good meal. Conch croquettes, Curried Goat Sweet potato gnocchi, adobo pork with plantain creme, other innovative caribbean influenced fare. 2017 Pepiere Briords on the list was a no brainer. My wife had a cocktail she enjoyed but lots of kids drinking something out of a bronze rabbit sippy cup - avoid?
Commanders Palace - this was near our AirBnB and our ‘classic’ meal for the week. Good service and great wine list (that I can't afford). Food was pretty average in my opinion. Better gumbo at Tableau, DTB. No desire to go back. Maybe try Brennan’s when we are back in October? (I haven't been since 1980). Hint to Huet fans, for some reason they bury the demi-sec in the ‘Stickies’ section and it is a good match for the food. 2010 Clos du Bourg was a highlight of the meal. They have 85 Le Mont if you can afford it.
Maypop - what everybody is raving about. Lots of rez availability and was a bit slow on a Friday so maybe a little concerning, but it was Good Friday. Slow Roasted Duckling was massive, but made for excellent leftovers.

Lunch:
Cochon - full dinner menu at lunch I believe. Pork cheek andouille jambalaya, fried livers. The signature Cochon dish as good as advertised. Amazingly good greens. People kept getting seated next to us and then figuring out they wanted to be at the Cochon Butcher sandwich shop next door.
Saba - discussed this up thread. Very good.
Atchafalaya - lunch, brunch whatever this was a solid neighborhood place. We didn’t order it but observed on neighboring tables be forwarned, the chicken and biscuits are HUGE, like to feed 2 or 3.

Others
Bar Francis - Freret St corridor, happy hour with some friends. Some very good bites - fried chickpeas, lamb meatballs, whipped feta. Ordered Octopus off the appetizer menu and it was salty beyond words (and I am a salt lover). Tried nothing else from the regular menu. Some nice cocktails and btg wines.
Tableau - hungry in the early/mid afternoon wandered into this Dickie Brennan place in the quarter. Good gumbo, egg dish, wedge salad. Wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but it was solid.
Fred

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Jason T » June 25th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Agree on the recommendations for Bistro Daisy and Bacchanal, though Bacchanal is less for the food and more for the wine, live music and ambience.

Gris Gris is ok and I personally like the chef, but you’d be hard-pressed to pick it out of a lineup from the thousand or so restaurants roughly like it in that city.

Agree also that Commanders is average at best. It’s been trading on name for way too long, as so many of the “old guard” New Orleans restaurants. If “old” New Orleans is what you want, take a look at Brigstens (mentioned above) as well as the Upperline.

I see a lot of the same names coming up. I get it, they are good. Or, well, most of them are good. But I’d love to see people checking out N7, which I think consistently churns put some of the best food in NOLA at any place not named “Coquette”. Lilette also doesn’t get enough love from out-of-towers but it is quintessential New Orleans fine dining. Le Petite Grocery’s sister restaurant, Justine, makes dining in The Quarter fun again. I’ve mentioned Sylvain before and I still think they should be on people’s radar if dining in the quarter as well.

Agree with Compere Lapin and BAB, as well as Carrollton Market and DTB, both of which I think are doing some of the most interesting cooking Not just in that area but all of New Orleans.

MoPho has so much going for it, with so many interesting flavours from all over Asia - from east to west, and it’s not as fussy as their flagship restaurant, Maypop. Seaworthy is churning out fantastic food just a short walk from The Quarter.

My “last meals” before moving were Coquette, N7, Justine, Seaworthy and MoPho. Though if you are an out-of-towner with limited time I’d focus on Coquette, N7 and Justine While none are “old New Orleans” both are very much “New Orleans”. Justine as I said made going to The Quarter fun again, which is saying something. I was really bummed that it only opened right before I left.
J@son Tr@ughber

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by J Diven » November 7th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Just adding some notes from our late October visit.

Dinner:

La Petite Grocery - This is a good solid offering if you have not been. Modern american restaurant with southern influenced ingredients. Ricotta Dumpling, and Paneed Rabbit, very nice pork chop, salads, etc. Very nice wine list, but a bit expensive. Good Somm on hand.

N7 - Late on a Monday might not have been the best day/time. We may have stuck a little to closely to the classic bistro menu here instead of venturing into their more unique items - Tarte Flambee, or Pork Katsu with Beet puree anyone? Most of the seating is outdoors here, though we sat inside at a postage stamp sized table for 4, luckily there were just 2 of us. Still we had real estate problems, Romaine Salad was very fresh and huge, Duck Liver Pate was delish, but also served in a small jar on a huge platter. Frites were fine. Problems with the Steamed Mussels - huge portion of very small mussels ultimately not cooked long enough, many fine, but many closed, and many still gooey. Coq au Riesling (basically Coq au Vin with white wine) was excellent. Large wine list, a little hard to read due to the way it is printed. We will give this another try when we are back in March, and I do encourage others to visit and post.

Rockrose - Open for just a week or so, this was pretty tasty, though no culinary revelation. Greek influenced, not overtly greek/mediterranean. Interesting salads and flatbreads, good octopus. Lamb cavatelli was mostly lamb, but very nicely braised. Minimal greek wine on the bottle list, but with iClivi friuliano and Texier Brezeme at reasonable prices I was happy.

Bayona - A little pricier for sure, but as a party of six we traversed a decent swath of their menu and I saw no weak spots. Good wine list, but like Petite Grocery I swallow a little hard paying $80 for the current release of JP Thevenet Morgon VV.

Herbsaint - This has been discussed at length in other theads, and was very, very good. The Duck Leg Confit was only eclipsed by the Crispy Goat with lentils. The goat plate was served kind of deconstructed and was all the better when mixed together. The cornmeal Oysters killed. Was not as taken with the spaghetti with fried/poached egg. Would have a 2nd order of the oysters next time.

Bistro Daisy- A smallish house in the Audubon part area of Magazine St. Saturday night and really a neighborhood flavor. Oysters poached in herbsaint cream and julienned apple and endive salad were great with a bottle of Gimonnet 1er cru for $70 which I thought was a pretty fair price. We went hearty on entrees - lamb shank, steak, but they had a lot of great sounding fish as well. The wine list is small, inexpensive, and oddly Paso Robles oriented, but they have $20 corkage advertised right on the wine list which I haven’t seen much of in New Orleans.

Paladar 511 - This is a modern Italian place out in the Marigny. Pizza’s are featured and very good. Fresh pasta too. I’d go back, though i’d like to try Gianna and Avo some time as well, and don't tend to eat that much Italian when in town.

Lunch/Brunch:

Patois - brunch near our AirBnb, so limited tasting. Reminded me a little of Atchafalaya as a neighborhood place (but with a better wine list), but i’d have to have lunch or dinner to be fair. Large smoker out on the street, not sure what they use it for.

Justine - new place on Chartres St that Jason T had mentioned. This is from Justin Devillier of La Petite Grocery. Very good Duck Confit, Croque Monsieur which they made into a Madame at my wife’s request. Wine by the glass, didn’t look through the list though they seemed to have quite a bit. Very good.

Toups Meaterie - more pubby for lunch, sandwiches. I didn’t see the large plates offered. Excellent wagyu burger however.

Tableau - brunch. Cochon du Lait Benedict on cornbread was pretty satisfying. Again would not go out of my way, but it is there. But now Justine and Sylvain are both nearby as well.

Killer PoBoy - I wasn’t as taken with this. The pork belly was a little undercooked for me. Gulf Shrimp was better. They have some veggie options (sweet potato, roasted cauliflower) if that is your thing.

Oak Street PoBoy Festival - caught up with some local friends at this large event. Not unexpectedly standouts were Mahony’s (PeaceMaker Fried oysters,shrimp, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, pickle & Tabasco), Parkway Bakery (the James Brown). Also Gulf Tacos (Lt. Dan). All three better than Killer in my opinion.
Jim

F.Daner

#116 Post by F.Daner » November 10th, 2019, 4:54 am

Nice work Jim ! Hoping to head back in the next few months. So many new places to try.
J Diven wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Just adding some notes from our late October visit.

Dinner:

La Petite Grocery - This is a good solid offering if you have not been. Modern american restaurant with southern influenced ingredients. Ricotta Dumpling, and Paneed Rabbit, very nice pork chop, salads, etc. Very nice wine list, but a bit expensive. Good Somm on hand.

N7 - Late on a Monday might not have been the best day/time. We may have stuck a little to closely to the classic bistro menu here instead of venturing into their more unique items - Tarte Flambee, or Pork Katsu with Beet puree anyone? Most of the seating is outdoors here, though we sat inside at a postage stamp sized table for 4, luckily there were just 2 of us. Still we had real estate problems, Romaine Salad was very fresh and huge, Duck Liver Pate was delish, but also served in a small jar on a huge platter. Frites were fine. Problems with the Steamed Mussels - huge portion of very small mussels ultimately not cooked long enough, many fine, but many closed, and many still gooey. Coq au Riesling (basically Coq au Vin with white wine) was excellent. Large wine list, a little hard to read due to the way it is printed. We will give this another try when we are back in March, and I do encourage others to visit and post.

Rockrose - Open for just a week or so, this was pretty tasty, though no culinary revelation. Greek influenced, not overtly greek/mediterranean. Interesting salads and flatbreads, good octopus. Lamb cavatelli was mostly lamb, but very nicely braised. Minimal greek wine on the bottle list, but with iClivi friuliano and Texier Brezeme at reasonable prices I was happy.

Bayona - A little pricier for sure, but as a party of six we traversed a decent swath of their menu and I saw no weak spots. Good wine list, but like Petite Grocery I swallow a little hard paying $80 for the current release of JP Thevenet Morgon VV.

Herbsaint - This has been discussed at length in other theads, and was very, very good. The Duck Leg Confit was only eclipsed by the Crispy Goat with lentils. The goat plate was served kind of deconstructed and was all the better when mixed together. The cornmeal Oysters killed. Was not as taken with the spaghetti with fried/poached egg. Would have a 2nd order of the oysters next time.

Bistro Daisy- A smallish house in the Audubon part area of Magazine St. Saturday night and really a neighborhood flavor. Oysters poached in herbsaint cream and julienned apple and endive salad were great with a bottle of Gimonnet 1er cru for $70 which I thought was a pretty fair price. We went hearty on entrees - lamb shank, steak, but they had a lot of great sounding fish as well. The wine list is small, inexpensive, and oddly Paso Robles oriented, but they have $20 corkage advertised right on the wine list which I haven’t seen much of in New Orleans.

Paladar 511 - This is a modern Italian place out in the Marigny. Pizza’s are featured and very good. Fresh pasta too. I’d go back, though i’d like to try Gianna and Avo some time as well, and don't tend to eat that much Italian when in town.

Lunch/Brunch:

Patois - brunch near our AirBnb, so limited tasting. Reminded me a little of Atchafalaya as a neighborhood place (but with a better wine list), but i’d have to have lunch or dinner to be fair. Large smoker out on the street, not sure what they use it for.

Justine - new place on Chartres St that Jason T had mentioned. This is from Justin Devillier of La Petite Grocery. Very good Duck Confit, Croque Monsieur which they made into a Madame at my wife’s request. Wine by the glass, didn’t look through the list though they seemed to have quite a bit. Very good.

Toups Meaterie - more pubby for lunch, sandwiches. I didn’t see the large plates offered. Excellent wagyu burger however.

Tableau - brunch. Cochon du Lait Benedict on cornbread was pretty satisfying. Again would not go out of my way, but it is there. But now Justine and Sylvain are both nearby as well.

Killer PoBoy - I wasn’t as taken with this. The pork belly was a little undercooked for me. Gulf Shrimp was better. They have some veggie options (sweet potato, roasted cauliflower) if that is your thing.

Oak Street PoBoy Festival - caught up with some local friends at this large event. Not unexpectedly standouts were Mahony’s (PeaceMaker Fried oysters,shrimp, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, pickle & Tabasco), Parkway Bakery (the James Brown). Also Gulf Tacos (Lt. Dan). All three better than Killer in my opinion.
Fred

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Diane Kessler » November 11th, 2019, 8:43 am

We were just there last week and went to a few places on this list.

Our top two restaurants were Le Petite Grocery and Herbsaint. The short rib appetizer with fried peanuts at LPG was delicious, as were a couple of fish entrees. I never looked at the wine list since I brought a 2008 Chevillon LSG which went great with the food, interested the somm, and we gave him a glass. He reciprocated with a couple of glasses of a young Burgundy. Great experience. I switched my dinner reservation to lunch at Herbsaint since we had a very early flight home the next morning, and I believe it is the same menu. I really wanted those cornmeal fried oysters, but decided to skip a starter and go right to the hearty duck leg confit with dirty rice. I brought a 2013 Rhys Horseshoe Pinot Noir that was perfect with it. Our server was really into wine and happy to be offered a glass. Another great experience.

Our two other dinners were also excellent. I loved the vibe at Saba, the cocktails, hummus with roasted Brussels Sprouts, pita, and lamb kebab. There is so much on the menu I wanted to try but decided on those. Compère Lapin was fun and the curried goat with sweet potato gnocchi was fantastic and I only had a Sazerac with it.

We strolled over to Cochon after going to the WWII museum. The place was bustling for lunch on a Saturday. We had excellent duck and sausage gumbo and catfish. It is worthwhile to set a couple of hours aside for the museum. The film and the Adolf Eichmann exhibit are gripping.

Breakfast at Luke was the day after we arrived, or, as it turned out, later that day. We had a long delay in Charlotte, and didn’t get to the hotel until 2AM. A late, big breakfast was what we needed. They do it well.

Our one disappointment was brunch at Justine. An awful Salad Lyonnaise and an awful server. Then a maitre’d who complained about hiring competent staff, and gave me his card and said if we were ever back in New Orleans, to contact him. That will never happen.

With the exception of Justine, all the restaurants were superb. As much as I didn’t want to, we stopped at Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee one afternoon. Packed with tourists but nothing else like it. A couple of times, we stopped at the French Coffee Truck and took a cafe au lait to Jackson Square.

J Diven
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by J Diven » November 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm

We calculated that we had not been to Cafe Du Monde in almost 11 years, but we had first timers with us for part of this trip so we also visited. A sunny day, so it was the quicker take out line, then enjoyed on a bench in Jackson Square admiring the cathedral. Shake em up in that bag with the powered sugar, excellent as always. Two is my limit and just right.
Jim

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Diane Kessler » November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm

J Diven wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm
We calculated that we had not been to Cafe Du Monde in almost 11 years, but we had first timers with us for part of this trip so we also visited. A sunny day, so it was the quicker take out line, then enjoyed on a bench in Jackson Square admiring the cathedral. Shake em up in that bag with the powered sugar, excellent as always. Two is my limit and just right.
When we first saw the line, we didn’t bother getting on it. About an hour later, when we circled back, it was much, much shorter, and we were seated within 10 minutes. I didn’t realize the line in the back was for takeout until we were seated.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”