Recent New Orleans Eats

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
awilliamson4
Posts: 664
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Recent New Orleans Eats

#1 Post by awilliamson4 » November 2nd, 2015, 12:24 pm

I was in New Orleans for a weekend as my wine group was taking on August. Here are some notes on the restaurants we went to:
Balise- Fantastic menu with lots of small plates options. Fish dip was unreal, and the buttermilk biscuits with chicken liver pate were so stinking good. Really nice specialty cocktails.
Shaya- The very best pita and hummus I have ever had. I mean the best. The labneh was great and the lamb kebabs too. The cocktails here were not good.
Cochon- Still really great. We had a fantastic lunch there. Great service and food.
August- One of the best dining experiences in America in my opinion. The atmosphere is second to none and the food is outstanding. It didn't hurt that we BYO'd some really special wines.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

MandyC
Posts: 111
Joined: August 25th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#2 Post by MandyC » November 2nd, 2015, 4:16 pm

awilliamson4 wrote:I was in New Orleans for a weekend as my wine group was taking on August. Here are some notes on the restaurants we went to:
Balise- Fantastic menu with lots of small plates options. Fish dip was unreal, and the buttermilk biscuits with chicken liver pate were so stinking good. Really nice specialty cocktails.
Shaya- The very best pita and hummus I have ever had. I mean the best. The labneh was great and the lamb kebabs too. The cocktails here were not good.
Cochon- Still really great. We had a fantastic lunch there. Great service and food.
August- One of the best dining experiences in America in my opinion. The atmosphere is second to none and the food is outstanding. It didn't hurt that we BYO'd some really special wines.
That pita bread at Shaya is too delicious for words. Had a meal here very soon after they opened and was very, very impressed. August and Cochon are always reliable.
-Mandy Click

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5799
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Recent New Orleans Eats

#3 Post by Dennis Atick » November 2nd, 2015, 4:58 pm

Man, People are nuts over that pita and hummus at Shaya! I keep hearing about it!
Can't wait to get back to town and try that restaurant.

Alston-Sounds like a great trip. I really like August too. Cochon is always fun. I need to try Balise. Have you ever done La Petite Grocery? Had a great meal there last summer. Worth a visit.
Cheers.
@decaturwinedude

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2682
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#4 Post by Mike Cohen » November 2nd, 2015, 5:21 pm

Sounds awesome. I ate at August, Cochon, Le Petite Grocery, Peche, and Cochon Butcher last year and loved those restaurants. Can't wait to get back and try Shaya.

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#5 Post by P. Willenberg » November 3rd, 2015, 7:08 am

I was unimpressed with Shaya but yes, August is one of the few places in New Orleans that could hold it's own anywhere in the US.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

awilliamson4
Posts: 664
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Recent New Orleans Eats

#6 Post by awilliamson4 » November 3rd, 2015, 12:50 pm

Dennis Atick wrote:Man, People are nuts over that pita and hummus at Shaya! I keep hearing about it!
Can't wait to get back to town and try that restaurant.

Alston-Sounds like a great trip. I really like August too. Cochon is always fun. I need to try Balise. Have you ever done La Petite Grocery? Had a great meal there last summer. Worth a visit.
Cheers.
I have been to La Petite Grocery many years ago when Joel Dondis was still the chef. Balise is Justin Devillier's more casual take on his food at La Petite now.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow
Posts: 6260
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#7 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » November 3rd, 2015, 2:11 pm

I was unimpressed by August last year.

I think places like that don't do it for me. I hardly remember what I had there...and the portions were beyond tiny. Was able to bring some good wines on the plane with me, so that added. But.....not my cup of tea. Too many ingredients per plate.

Alan Gottlieb
Posts: 215
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:54 am
Location: Atlanta

Recent New Orleans Eats

#8 Post by Alan Gottlieb » November 9th, 2015, 11:04 am

Just got back from NO
1. Clancy's: not great
2. Peche: very good will go back for sure
3. Gautreau's was great though quite loud Will go back. Highly recommend
4. Revolution: did not see what all the raves are about Would not go back

Lunch
1. Cochon Butcher was really good
2. Parkway Bakery Best shrimp po boys I have had. (better than Domilese)

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5799
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Recent New Orleans Eats

#9 Post by Dennis Atick » November 9th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Alan Gottlieb wrote: 2. Parkway Bakery Best shrimp po boys I have had. (better than Domilese)
Fighting words!
I need to check our Parkway when I'm there next month.
Hope all is well, Alan
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#10 Post by P. Willenberg » November 9th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I liked parkway but I preferred:

Cajun Joe's in the Lower 9th
followed by Luizza's by the Track (bbq shrimp here actually)
followed by Guy's way out on magazine.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1486
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Recent New Orleans Eats

#11 Post by Robert M yers » March 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Spent a couple days in NOLA and thought I'd share some brief impressions.

- Willie Mae's - best fried chicken I've ever had, but I'm a northerner so...and I tend to go overboard with sides ect. it's a bit of a heavy lunch.
- Casamentos - love the old school atmosphere and great fresh oysters and fried seafood.
- Mahoney's - Casamentos was closed the first try so started walking back. Came upon these guys several blocks away and Knew I had heard of them somewhere, but it couldn't have been on a best of list. Roast beef po-boys are my thing and this one wasn't very good.
- Butcher - always awesome for lunch, Really wish we had something like this in my town.
- Revolution - didn't love the atmosphere, but had 3 really good dishes there. Death by Gumbo is a very cool take on the dish, at minimum worth a stop at the bar to get that.
- Mr. B's - if your in the quarter and just need a cup of gumbo they make one of my favorites in the city.
- Peche - nice bright open space and the food was on point.
- Willa Jean - eh, best thing I had was the rice Krispy treat I bought on the way out.
Last edited by Robert M yers on March 19th, 2016, 5:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9589
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#12 Post by dcornutt » March 19th, 2016, 9:30 am

Alan Gottlieb wrote:Just got back from NO
1. Clancy's: not great
2. Peche: very good will go back for sure
3. Gautreau's was great though quite loud Will go back. Highly recommend
4. Revolution: did not see what all the raves are about Would not go back

Lunch
1. Cochon Butcher was really good
2. Parkway Bakery Best shrimp po boys I have had. (better than Domilese)
Thanks!
Heading there soon for a meeting.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Recent New Orleans Eats

#13 Post by Michae1 P0wers » June 21st, 2017, 10:51 am

Bumping this. What's good in New Orleans right now? We're heading there in July for a weekend and for the first time in years won't have a child with us or work obligations. Looking for any advice, but we will probably hit two upscale restaurants, somewhere for po'boys at least once, and one or more oyster places (or anywhere for seafood generally) while there.

Thanks!

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

Recent New Orleans Eats

#14 Post by Jason T » June 22nd, 2017, 10:21 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:Bumping this. What's good in New Orleans right now? We're heading there in July for a weekend and for the first time in years won't have a child with us or work obligations. Looking for any advice, but we will probably hit two upscale restaurants, somewhere for po'boys at least once, and one or more oyster places (or anywhere for seafood generally) while there.

Thanks!
Michael - I'll share my thoughts from the perspective of someone who lives in this city, dines out quite a bit, but tends to avoid the "institutions" (i.e. Antoine's, Commander's, Brennan's, etc). Below is a post from the travel forum I made several months back, and I'll add some additional commentary below.
Jason Traughber wrote:
Coquette is, for me, the best restaurant in the city. Consistently interesting, executes at a high level, and the tasting menu is always a tremendous value.

+1 for Compere Lapin as well. Nina Compton is lights out.

We've been to the Carribean Room 3 or 4 times since it reopened and it's a great time. It's a very old school New Orleans experience. The roof top bar has great cocktails and a wonderful view of the skyline, but can get quite busy.

Glen mentioned the old school Mr John's Steakhouse which is still next to the Pontchartrain and is alive and well. If you're looking for a more modern take on the New Orleans steakhouse experience. Doris Metropolitan is doing fantastic work down in the French Quarter.

Other notables that are relatively new...Seaworthy in the Ace Hotel, which has great seafood. Also somewhat seafood-centric is Cavan, which has a focus on coastal and southern cuisine. Oxalis; the food is very nice but my reason for going is that I think it's got the best cocktails in town now that Bellocq is gone.

If pan-Asian food is up your alley then a couple of great and very fun places are Michael Gulotta's Mo Pho and Maypop. Gulotta was formerly at Besh's August and then broke away to do his own thing. I say pan-Asian because he borrows from all over Asia (I've seen him incorporate ideas from India all the way up to Korea) and combines that with Creole influences. Mopho is a bit off the beaten path and is the more casual and fun of the two. Maypop just opened in the CBD and borrows some of the ideas from Mopho but in a more sophisticated setting; he's really elevated his dishes to match.

Countless others as we have seen a flurry of restaurants open in the last few years but these are currently my favorites.
Sadly, Oxalis has closed. Maypop is absolutely on fire. In addition to the above, I'll add the Upperline to the list, and also Bistro Daisy for more of an intimate neighborhood bistro feel. Sylvain is still one of my favorite spots in the quarter. Cane and Table, also in the quarter, is great for small bites and cocktails.

If you're wanting something a little bit out there, I think N7 can be fun. Different but not as far out there is a place called Bakery Bar. It's from the women behind Debbie Does Doberge, and focuses on craft cocktails, small sweets, and a handful of shared plates. I wouldn't call it a destination but it's great for a cocktail and a doberge bite on the way to/from somewhere else.

As for recent openings, DTB, which stands for "Down the Bayou" just opened. It's cajun + coastal cuisine that is a bit elevated, but in a more casual setting. Fantastic cocktails and food.
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2081
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

Recent New Orleans Eats

#15 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » June 22nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:Bumping this. What's good in New Orleans right now? We're heading there in July for a weekend and for the first time in years won't have a child with us or work obligations. Looking for any advice, but we will probably hit two upscale restaurants, somewhere for po'boys at least once, and one or more oyster places (or anywhere for seafood generally) while there.

Thanks!
My daughter just finished her first year of college in New Orleans so I was there a few times this year. As others have mentioned, Shaya is our family favorite; one of the owners of Shaya also owns Domenica (and Pizza Domenica), an Italian place that my daughter really likes. Another we love is Luke. I had a bad experience and didn't like Peche but most people seem to disagree with me on that one.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Recent New Orleans Eats

#16 Post by Michae1 P0wers » June 22nd, 2017, 2:02 pm

Thanks Jason and Sherri! I'm currently lining up a family trip with some family members who've never been as adults. We're debating two rentals at present, a more upscale place in the Marigny and a nice if somewhat unremarkable place uptown. It's tough as I'll want to spend time in each area, and will want them to see both areas. My wife went to Loyola and lived in NOLA for six years off Magazine but she's kind of pushing for the nicer place in the Marigny.

Anyway, I was looking at Coquette for one dinner. How is it for someone who eats seafood but no meat? Maybe considering Peche for another. Sherri sorry to hear you didn't like it but most here seem to like it a lot. I will look into Seaworthy and Cavan. Actually, I will peruse all of these suggestions and keep a list in case we end up far from whatever we'd initially planned.

Thoughts on Lilette? I hear people saying Coquette is the better choice.

Any thoughts on personal favorites for Po'boys? Oyster bar?

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10788
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#17 Post by alan weinberg » June 22nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

Friends ate at Brennan's recently and loved it but they aren't foodies.

User avatar
Nolan E
Posts: 2958
Joined: January 13th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Location: Willamette Valley

Recent New Orleans Eats

#18 Post by Nolan E » June 22nd, 2017, 10:56 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote: Any thoughts on personal favorites for Po'boys? Oyster bar?
Oyster loaf at Casamento's.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#19 Post by P. Willenberg » June 23rd, 2017, 6:22 am

Nolan E wrote:
Michae1 P0wers wrote: Any thoughts on personal favorites for Po'boys? Oyster bar?
Oyster loaf at Casamento's.
I'm a fan of luizza's by the track and Guy's
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Recent New Orleans Eats

#20 Post by Michae1 P0wers » June 23rd, 2017, 6:52 am

P. Willenberg wrote:
Nolan E wrote:
Michae1 P0wers wrote: Any thoughts on personal favorites for Po'boys? Oyster bar?
Oyster loaf at Casamento's.
I'm a fan of luizza's by the track and Guy's
Thanks, Luizza's might be a good option as we are staying in the Marigny. We'll spend some time Uptown as well though, so I'll keep in mind Guy's as well.

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#21 Post by P. Willenberg » June 23rd, 2017, 7:34 am

indeed, a bus will take you straight to Luizza's. it's quite a different style than the fried shrimp places, so worth the trek.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Recent New Orleans Eats

#22 Post by Michae1 P0wers » June 23rd, 2017, 8:16 am

P. Willenberg wrote:indeed, a bus will take you straight to Luizza's. it's quite a different style than the fried shrimp places, so worth the trek.

How so?

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
Posts: 18078
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#23 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 23rd, 2017, 8:43 am

Local friends loving Seaworthy lately.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#24 Post by P. Willenberg » June 23rd, 2017, 12:17 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
P. Willenberg wrote:indeed, a bus will take you straight to Luizza's. it's quite a different style than the fried shrimp places, so worth the trek.
How so?
It's "barbecue" shrimp. It doesn't actually ever see a grill though. It's in a butter/Worcestershire/hot sauce sauce typically.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

Recent New Orleans Eats

#25 Post by Jason T » June 23rd, 2017, 2:19 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Local friends loving Seaworthy lately.
Yeah, I think Seaworthy is in the top handful of places to open in NOLA in the last couple years. It's great.
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

Recent New Orleans Eats

#26 Post by Jason T » June 23rd, 2017, 2:32 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:Thanks Jason and Sherri! I'm currently lining up a family trip with some family members who've never been as adults. We're debating two rentals at present, a more upscale place in the Marigny and a nice if somewhat unremarkable place uptown. It's tough as I'll want to spend time in each area, and will want them to see both areas. My wife went to Loyola and lived in NOLA for six years off Magazine but she's kind of pushing for the nicer place in the Marigny.

Anyway, I was looking at Coquette for one dinner. How is it for someone who eats seafood but no meat? Maybe considering Peche for another. Sherri sorry to hear you didn't like it but most here seem to like it a lot. I will look into Seaworthy and Cavan. Actually, I will peruse all of these suggestions and keep a list in case we end up far from whatever we'd initially planned.

Thoughts on Lilette? I hear people saying Coquette is the better choice.

Any thoughts on personal favorites for Po'boys? Oyster bar?
Michael Coquette is normally pretty great for seafood - they heavily focus on heavily sourced proteins and produce, and so seafood is a part of that. They do a great blind tasting, and I'm thinking that if you said you wanted to focus on seafood they'd accommodate.

I think Lilette is wonderful - I live just a few blocks for it. That said Lilette and (maybe to a lesser extent) Le Petite Grocery strike me more as being higher end brasseries. I think if you went to either you'd have a great meal and a great time. But there's nothing that will leave you walking out of there saying "wow, that's New Orleans".

Lilette is straight down the middle as well, whereas Coquette, while far from avant-garde, is quite creative (especially for New Orleans. I love my city but too often it trades on tradition and history rather than exploring new ideas). And as mentioned above, they really do focus on sourcing locally, which can be pretty cool, as they'll really highlight unusual ingredients that are unique to southern Louisiana.
J@son Tr@ughber

Milton Hudson
Posts: 1190
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 1:44 pm
Location: Mobile, AL US of A

Recent New Orleans Eats

#27 Post by Milton Hudson » June 25th, 2017, 10:32 am

alan weinberg wrote:Friends ate at Brennan's recently and loved it but they aren't foodies.
We were at Brennans in April and I found it fantastic. If a place can be renovated to look fresh while at the same time looking like it has been there a long time, they accomplished it. The food has been updated while remaining true to the Brennan's classics and the service has been moved to the CP branch of the family level. I think the renovation was north of $12MM. The execution of the food is much more refined than in the old Brennan's. A much lighter quality with a little more emphasis on classic preps of local food. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best way to describe is Nouvelle Old New Orleans.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10788
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#28 Post by alan weinberg » September 18th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Brigtsen's any good?

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2717
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Recent New Orleans Eats

#29 Post by Marshall Gelb » September 19th, 2017, 6:45 am

Alan: Brigtsen's continues to fly under the radar and is very good. However, it is very "old school" and the dishes are quite heavy. Nonetheless, a great New Orleans experience.

We were down there recently and tried a couple of newer places that we really enjoyed. The redone "Caribbean Room" and "Toup's Meatery" were both excellent experiences. "Compere Lapin" was also excellent as we were there for lunch. In the more casual vein, we really liked "Grand Isle" and the happy hour at the "Bourbon House." I was blown away by the lines of people waiting to get into Acme when the Bourbon House, right across the street, has better oysters, at the same price, and a much better atmosphere.


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10788
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#30 Post by alan weinberg » September 19th, 2017, 7:05 am

thanks, Marshall. Is corkage generally allowed in NOLA restaurants, or case by case? Caribbean Room it is, looks great. And where's some great music--blues preferred? Thanks.

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#31 Post by P. Willenberg » September 19th, 2017, 11:46 am

alan weinberg wrote:thanks, Marshall. Is corkage generally allowed in NOLA restaurants, or case by case? Caribbean Room it is, looks great. And where's some great music--blues preferred? Thanks.
viewtopic.php?p=1852220#p1852220
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3847
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Recent New Orleans Eats

#32 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 20th, 2017, 7:20 am

I never reported back after the trip in July, but Coquette was excellent as our finer dining meal. On Friday night we ate about several dozen oysters and a few other mixed items at St. Roche market, which was near where we were staying. Good oysters and quite inexpensive, was able to get bottles of muscadet from the wine seller in the market too at a good price. Had a po-boy place recommended by our Air BnB hosts for lunch the next day, Verdi mart in the Quarter since we were going there anyway. I demurred, wanting to go farther afield. Everyone should have listened to me, as the sandwiches were terrible. Anyway, Coquette that night was great. We did the tasting menu, three omnivores and one pescetarian. I was happy to see that they accommodated this request. I didn't know if they would as they require the entire table to get the tasting menu if ordered. The seafood courses were all very good. The wagyu strip was excellent, though almost too much by the time it came. Probably the best dish though was fresh lima beans in a cured egg and fennel sauce. I don't know that I'd call the meal quintessential New Orleans, in the sense that it had no hints of creole or cajun influence, nor even a very easily discernible French influence, but all the ingredients were obviously super local and excellent. Overall it was a wonderful meal and the price was reasonable (about $220 a couple, though we only split one liter bottle of wine IIRC). As noted, the biggest drawback, and something truly inexplicable to me, is the lack of proper espresso after the meal. No espresso machine? I'm baffled. The Bunn coffee machine coffee was mediocre, and a sour note after such a great meal.

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2717
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Recent New Orleans Eats

#33 Post by Marshall Gelb » September 20th, 2017, 7:51 am

alan weinberg wrote:thanks, Marshall. Is corkage generally allowed in NOLA restaurants, or case by case? Caribbean Room it is, looks great. And where's some great music--blues preferred? Thanks.
Alan: As far as I remember , all the John Besh restaurants allow corkage. This was the first time that we did not bring any wine with us. In the past, August had free corkage but I believe they now have a nominal charge. The Caribbean Room had a very fair list and we enjoyed a couple of well priced bottles. One interesting note.....The Caribbean Room has a jackets policy and they ask you to keep it on during the meal. An interesting note is that Domenica had both pizzas and glasses of wine for half price on Sunday afternoon. If you are interested, Domenica is in the Roosevelt Hotel and they make one of the best Sazeracs in town. The Sazerac Bar is gorgeous and the drinks are seriously good! Enjoy!


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6224
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#34 Post by Drew Goin » September 20th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I always recommend Coop's for the assorted Cajun/Creole plate and $4 doubles of Chartreuse.

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 3980
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Recent New Orleans Eats

#35 Post by Michael S. Monie » September 20th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Domenica does happy hour from 2-5 seven days a week.
Fly on, Little Wing.

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2081
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

Recent New Orleans Eats

#36 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » September 21st, 2017, 4:47 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:thanks, Marshall. Is corkage generally allowed in NOLA restaurants, or case by case? Caribbean Room it is, looks great. And where's some great music--blues preferred? Thanks.
Alan: As far as I remember , all the John Besh restaurants allow corkage. This was the first time that we did not bring any wine with us. In the past, August had free corkage but I believe they now have a nominal charge. The Caribbean Room had a very fair list and we enjoyed a couple of well priced bottles. One interesting note.....The Caribbean Room has a jackets policy and they ask you to keep it on during the meal. An interesting note is that Domenica had both pizzas and glasses of wine for half price on Sunday afternoon. If you are interested, Domenica is in the Roosevelt Hotel and they make one of the best Sazeracs in town. The Sazerac Bar is gorgeous and the drinks are seriously good! Enjoy!


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
The chef/owner of Shaya is also an owner of Domenica (and the more casual Pizza Domenica). It has a similar format as Shaya with "small plates" and "large plates" -well suited for groups/sharing. I had a good meal there in August, particularly the roasted cauliflower small plate was delicious. But I get enough GREAT Italian food at home, so I probably won't go back next time I am in town.

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 3980
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Recent New Orleans Eats

#37 Post by Michael S. Monie » September 21st, 2017, 5:59 am

I have not yet made it to Seaworthy but we did have an outstanding seafood meal recently at GW Finns. In a city known for its boiled and fried seafood, GW Finns is a much elavated experience. It sometimes amazes me how quickly restaurants seem to go out of vogue. It wasn't that long ago when Square Root was the next greatest local dining experience.
Fly on, Little Wing.

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2717
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Recent New Orleans Eats

#38 Post by Marshall Gelb » September 21st, 2017, 2:12 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:thanks, Marshall. Is corkage generally allowed in NOLA restaurants, or case by case? Caribbean Room it is, looks great. And where's some great music--blues preferred? Thanks.
Alan: As far as I remember , all the John Besh restaurants allow corkage. This was the first time that we did not bring any wine with us. In the past, August had free corkage but I believe they now have a nominal charge. The Caribbean Room had a very fair list and we enjoyed a couple of well priced bottles. One interesting note.....The Caribbean Room has a jackets policy and they ask you to keep it on during the meal. An interesting note is that Domenica had both pizzas and glasses of wine for half price on Sunday afternoon. If you are interested, Domenica is in the Roosevelt Hotel and they make one of the best Sazeracs in town. The Sazerac Bar is gorgeous and the drinks are seriously good! Enjoy!


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
The chef/owner of Shaya is also an owner of Domenica (and the more casual Pizza Domenica). It has a similar format as Shaya with "small plates" and "large plates" -well suited for groups/sharing. I had a good meal there in August, particularly the roasted cauliflower small plate was delicious. But I get enough GREAT Italian food at home, so I probably won't go back next time I am in town.

I recently saw an article that said Alon had left Shaya and Domenica.

Cheers!
Marshall [wow.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

F.Daner
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:48 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Recent New Orleans Eats

#39 Post by F.Daner » September 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm

As usual Marshall is spot on. Been away from the board and our hometown but going in November. Toups is outstanding !
Compere was really good when it first opened and will probably give it another shot. Seaworthy looks great and will probably be a good lunch spot before some of the big dinners.

Laissez le bon temps rouler !

Curious why no one has mentioned Herbsaint. One of our favorites. Reasonable corkage and a nice wine list as well.
Les
Marshall Gelb wrote:Alan: Brigtsen's continues to fly under the radar and is very good. However, it is very "old school" and the dishes are quite heavy. Nonetheless, a great New Orleans experience.

We were down there recently and tried a couple of newer places that we really enjoyed. The redone "Caribbean Room" and "Toup's Meatery" were both excellent experiences. "Compere Lapin" was also excellent as we were there for lunch. In the more casual vein, we really liked "Grand Isle" and the happy hour at the "Bourbon House." I was blown away by the lines of people waiting to get into Acme when the Bourbon House, right across the street, has better oysters, at the same price, and a much better atmosphere.


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
Fred

F.Daner
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:48 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Recent New Orleans Eats

#40 Post by F.Daner » September 30th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Here are the current top picks from Brett Anderson. He loves Clancy's. It's good but don't see it as top 10 but I generally agree with his palate and like his writing.

Will have to add Kenton's to the list to try

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index. ... urant.html
http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index. ... n_new.html
Fred

User avatar
P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2205
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Recent New Orleans Eats

#41 Post by P. Willenberg » October 2nd, 2017, 7:42 am

F.Daner wrote:Here are the current top picks from Brett Anderson. He loves Clancy's. It's good but don't see it as top 10 but I generally agree with his palate and like his writing.

Will have to add Kenton's to the list to try

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index. ... urant.html
http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index. ... n_new.html
He is indeed a great writer
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

User avatar
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2717
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am
Location: Redondo Beach, California

Recent New Orleans Eats

#42 Post by Marshall Gelb » October 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am

F.Daner wrote:As usual Marshall is spot on. Been away from the board and our hometown but going in November. Toups is outstanding !
Compere was really good when it first opened and will probably give it another shot. Seaworthy looks great and will probably be a good lunch spot before some of the big dinners.

Laissez le bon temps rouler !

Curious why no one has mentioned Herbsaint. One of our favorites. Reasonable corkage and a nice wine list as well.
Les
Marshall Gelb wrote:Alan: Brigtsen's continues to fly under the radar and is very good. However, it is very "old school" and the dishes are quite heavy. Nonetheless, a great New Orleans experience.

We were down there recently and tried a couple of newer places that we really enjoyed. The redone "Caribbean Room" and "Toup's Meatery" were both excellent experiences. "Compere Lapin" was also excellent as we were there for lunch. In the more casual vein, we really liked "Grand Isle" and the happy hour at the "Bourbon House." I was blown away by the lines of people waiting to get into Acme when the Bourbon House, right across the street, has better oysters, at the same price, and a much better atmosphere.


Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Thanks Fred! Really appreciate the link to a few new places. Both Kenton's and Seaworthy are now on our radar. We are really hoping to get back there again relatively soon. Hopefully, we can do another "family" escapade but Diana and I are retired while my girls, unfortunately, have jobs! Our last trip was wonderful but one of the few times we were on our own.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Ncmussell
Posts: 320
Joined: October 24th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Recent New Orleans Eats

#43 Post by Ncmussell » October 17th, 2017, 5:46 pm

I will be in New Orleans in early November for a conference and have opportunities for a dinner (or two) Saturday night and Sunday night. Give me three or four places that I should go. Havent even been to New Orleans before so the classics are fine too if they are worth a stop.
Nate Mussell

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 3980
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Recent New Orleans Eats

#44 Post by Michael S. Monie » October 18th, 2017, 7:21 am

Ncmussell wrote:I will be in New Orleans in early November for a conference and have opportunities for a dinner (or two) Saturday night and Sunday night. Give me three or four places that I should go. Havent even been to New Orleans before so the classics are fine too if they are worth a stop.
If you are looking for the quintessential New Orleans' dining experience go to Galatoire's. If you go, there are some things that you should know. No reservations are taken for the downstairs dining room and that's where you want to be. The upstairs room serves the same food but downstairs is where the celebration is. Go slowly, the servers expect it and will not rush you. Order a cocktail and an appetizer (hot: oysters en brochettes, cold: Crabmeat Maison) and take your time. After about an hour or so order your entree. The seafood is significantly better here than the meat dishes. Soft shell crabs should still be available and oysters are in the peak season. Dessert here is a bit of an afterthought but they do a decent Creme Caramel. A better choice at the end of the meal might be Cafe Brulot done tableside.
Fly on, Little Wing.

awilliamson4
Posts: 664
Joined: October 6th, 2010, 8:49 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Recent New Orleans Eats

#45 Post by awilliamson4 » October 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Galtoires is just not any good. It has to be the most over rated of all of the old New Orleans staples. My dad, however, loves it so im sure there is some sort of nostalgia factor that i do not understand.

Recent notes:
Went to R'evolution last week for dinner and it was outstanding. Food and service were great. there is nothing crazy unique about it, but its just a restaurant that operate really well. Went to DTB on my way to the airport for Brunch on Friday morning and was impressed.
Alston Williamson
Hatersgonhate

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 3980
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Recent New Orleans Eats

#46 Post by Michael S. Monie » October 18th, 2017, 9:23 am

awilliamson4 wrote:Galtoires is just not any good. It has to be the most over rated of all of the old New Orleans staples. My dad, however, loves it so im sure there is some sort of nostalgia factor that i do not understand.

Recent notes:
Went to R'evolution last week for dinner and it was outstanding. Food and service were great. there is nothing crazy unique about it, but its just a restaurant that operate really well. Went to DTB on my way to the airport for Brunch on Friday morning and was impressed.
I'm curious as to what you experienced, food or service, that was " just not any good" at Galatoire's. Also, if you think that Galatoire's is "the most overrated of all of the old New Orleans' staples" then you clearly haven't been to Antoine's or Broussard's lately. The last time I went to Revolution (a year ago) I found it to be meh and significantly over-priced.
Fly on, Little Wing.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow
Posts: 6260
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#47 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 18th, 2017, 11:11 am

Michael S. Monie wrote:
Ncmussell wrote:I will be in New Orleans in early November for a conference and have opportunities for a dinner (or two) Saturday night and Sunday night. Give me three or four places that I should go. Havent even been to New Orleans before so the classics are fine too if they are worth a stop.
If you are looking for the quintessential New Orleans' dining experience go to Galatoire's. If you go, there are some things that you should know. No reservations are taken for the downstairs dining room and that's where you want to be. The upstairs room serves the same food but downstairs is where the celebration isThe seafood is significantly better here than the meat dishes. Soft shell crabs should still be available and oysters are in the peak season.
I agree. Every time I've been to NO since 1980, I've been to Galatoire's for at least one meal. And, I think it has really improved food-wise in the last decade. Their pompano almandine; crabmeat Louis, oysters (or other dishes like fish, and I think potatoes) rockefeller..and sides are all worth remembering..and I do. Not haute cuisine or little plate cusine..or even really modern cuisine. But, it quite admirably illustrates why NO has such a great dining tradition in the first place. And, the place is always packed with locals who enjoy the relatively unadorned, but wonderful food. And, it's lots of fun..though..as Michael suggests..it's good to slow the waiters down.

I'd take Galatoire's over several of the more hyped restaurants in NO anytime. I liked my meal there a whole lot better than the one we had at August in 2015...and remember more about it, too. (And, they were quite generous in allowing us to bring special bottles for a birthday celebration.)

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 5799
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Recent New Orleans Eats

#48 Post by Dennis Atick » October 23rd, 2017, 8:42 am

Thread drift, but not a good look for NOLA's beloved, John Besh.
http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... tered.html
@decaturwinedude

Chris S p i k e s
Posts: 2630
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Recent New Orleans Eats

#49 Post by Chris S p i k e s » October 31st, 2017, 8:39 am

Doris Metropolitan - Has anyone had any success negotiating around their 2 bottle corkage limit? We have a table for 12 coming up and that seems ridiculous to limit us to the same as a table for 2. Maybe we could say we are 6 tables of 2 and want to be seated together?

I was considering calling ahead to request a flat or increased rate.

F.Daner
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:48 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Recent New Orleans Eats

#50 Post by F.Daner » November 11th, 2017, 10:21 am

Top 10 by Brett Anderson. Happy reading. Some old favorites and a new place or 2.

http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index. ... ans_2.html
Fred

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”