Inexpensive coffee grinders?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
PeterJ

#51 Post by PeterJ » October 18th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Krups GVX2 now in pre-use mode, (wife brought it home late this afternoon). This one has a covered plastic bin, but the instructions say to tap it before opening, so I'm assuming the static thing is standard for these bins. At least, because it's covered, we may be able to empty it over the sink and avoid too much cleanup. News at 11.
Peter J@ckel

M Hudson

#52 Post by M Hudson » October 19th, 2015, 12:51 pm

David Wright wrote:Yo, Peter... perhaps you could use a handheld vacuum to pick up errant coffee grounds without staining the grout. I use this one to deal with copious amounts of chaff when roasting coffee beans. It works very well, and the lithium battery holds a charge for a long time.

FWIW my Baratza Encore grinder (conical burr) makes very little mess.
I have a very large commercial grinder and I am constantly fiddling with my grind, and my dose, so i am too lazy to try and program dose very often. I just hit a button and out comes coffee. As such I often (every day) overrun my PF and have grounds on the catch tray and even my counter. I bought a cordless shop vac off amazon and love it. I just keep it by the grinder and clean up in a second.
M@rk
Actions Matter

PeterJ

#53 Post by PeterJ » October 20th, 2015, 12:20 am

JMHO. But we used a $20 spice grinder to grind coffee for years until it died. I just don't see the need to buy a dedicated (kept clean for kitchen use) $50 vacuum to clean up after a $75 grinder. Hopefully the closed Krups bin will get this under control. Will report back in a few days.
Peter J@ckel

Chris Foley
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#54 Post by Chris Foley » October 20th, 2015, 9:26 am

I'm using a Krups blade grinder and am happy with the simplicity and the results.
But I use a pulse technique rather than continuous grind and I think I get a more uniform particulate size that way.
Chris F.

PeterJ

#55 Post by PeterJ » October 20th, 2015, 11:26 pm

It isn't a perfect world. The Krups grinder seems to work well, and the covered bin is definitely eliminating the flyaway grounds problem. The unit, however, has about half the capacity of the Capressa, which did our normal quantity in a single grind. You can't have everything I guess.

Gee. Only three grinders in two weeks. Hope we're done now.
Peter J@ckel

David Wright

#56 Post by David Wright » October 21st, 2015, 9:10 am

Now is an opportunity to try out a few handheld vacuums. Your grout will be happier. Carpe diem!

PeterJ

#57 Post by PeterJ » October 21st, 2015, 6:23 pm

David Wright wrote:Now is an opportunity to try out a few handheld vacuums. Your grout will be happier. Carpe diem!
Please don't give my wife any ideas. She will go through 4 of them before settling on one that we don't need in the first place. :o
Peter J@ckel

Scott Butler

#58 Post by Scott Butler » October 22nd, 2015, 5:33 am

Some good review sites.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-burr-co ... 1653494382

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/coffee-grinders/

If you don't mind a little physical labor, this hand crank is $40 and has good reviews. Just don't buy it from Amazon, I noticed complaints that it isn't a true Hario, but a cheaper knockoff with lower quality. Though the reviews say its a lot of work if you are making a whole pot of fine grounds.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/har ... offee-mill

https://food52.com/shop/products/312-ha ... ee-grinder
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

Mike.Young

#59 Post by Mike.Young » October 22nd, 2015, 11:30 am

David Kaufman wrote:I have this. It's cheap and gives you a workout!

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill ... 6461716011
I have one of those. It is about 200 cranks to get coffee for one large mug. The grind quality is great, you can do everything from french press to espresso. I would hate to have to grind enough for a pot.

I was going to recommend the Gaggia MDF grinder. Mine has lasted over 8 years and is still going strong. But I paid $115 for mine in 2007, they are now in $250 range. I have heard good things on the Baratza.

Rick Smith

#60 Post by Rick Smith » October 24th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Baratza Encore - awesome grinder
Williams Sonoma has the Virtuoso eligible for their 20% off any one item this weekend. Price is ~$184 before tax. Better than Amazon's price, better reviews than the Encore, and the price difference drops to <$60. Not insignificant, but I am a buyer.

M Hudson

#61 Post by M Hudson » October 26th, 2015, 9:18 am

Rick Smith wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Williams Sonoma has the Virtuoso eligible for their 20% off any one item this weekend. Price is ~$184 before tax. Better than Amazon's price, better reviews than the Encore, and the price difference drops to <$60. Not insignificant, but I am a buyer.

Your going to love it. I have one at home and one at work. I grind 45 grams each day each place, and its never blinked. At home I go everywhere from drip to pour over to french press so I am adjusting all the time, again never a hiccup.
M@rk
Actions Matter

Brian Curtis

#62 Post by Brian Curtis » October 26th, 2015, 9:27 pm

PeterJ wrote:…the instructions say to tap it before opening, so I'm assuming the static thing is standard for these bins.
We used the Cuisinart like the one you returned for many years and it never had any problems. But the static issues were horrible. I used a brush to wipe the grounds out of the bin, but no matter what I did they always went all over. We have stainless counters and that isn't a huge deal, but it was a pain.

We upgraded to the Virtuoso and it does not have the static problem. The grounds pour right out of the bin. The weather can have some effect on how much cling there is, but I've found that a couple taps on the grinder bin before I remove it and a couple more when I pour it does the trick. I haven't pulled out my brush since we got the Virtuoso. Despite all that we do end up with some stray grounds around the grinder that I have to clean up every so often. Fortunately, we have stainless counters and cleanup is trivial.

PeterJ

#63 Post by PeterJ » October 29th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Final report: The Krups works well. It takes three rounds of grinding to get what we like to do at one time (not so concerned about freshness as some), but taking the bin to the sink to empty into the sealable container we use has eliminated the mess. There's static clinging of grounds to the bin, but it doesn't fly around because it has a lid. One more step for man!
Peter J@ckel

P. Willenberg

#64 Post by P. Willenberg » November 23rd, 2015, 6:42 am

Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

ColinH

#65 Post by ColinH » November 24th, 2015, 2:34 am

Ah, nice to see this thread pop up. I've recently got a manual burr grinder, it's cool and fun..... for about 60 seconds. Doing research now to find something a bit more 'electric'.....
Ou Sing
itb

PeterJ

#66 Post by PeterJ » November 24th, 2015, 8:51 am

ColinH wrote:Ah, nice to see this thread pop up. I've recently got a manual burr grinder, it's cool and fun..... for about 60 seconds. Doing research now to find something a bit more 'electric'.....
Read the whole thread. The Braun we settled on (last of three but & try's) is working very well, but the Cuisinart grinds two or more times the amount of beans in a single fill. If not for the 'static flyaway' issue I'd make it #1 in this price range.
Peter J@ckel

ColinH

#67 Post by ColinH » November 27th, 2015, 5:17 am

PeterJ wrote:
ColinH wrote:Ah, nice to see this thread pop up. I've recently got a manual burr grinder, it's cool and fun..... for about 60 seconds. Doing research now to find something a bit more 'electric'.....
Read the whole thread. The Braun we settled on (last of three but & try's) is working very well, but the Cuisinart grinds two or more times the amount of beans in a single fill. If not for the 'static flyaway' issue I'd make it #1 in this price range.

Unfortunately not finding the Braun locally. Looking like I've got two real choices of the Cuisinart DBM 8KR and the Krups GVX 242. Leaning toward the Krups, bit smaller, I grind beans just before making coffee so that size is cool.
Ou Sing
itb

Rick Smith

#68 Post by Rick Smith » November 29th, 2015, 9:38 am

M Hudson wrote:
Rick Smith wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Your going to love it. I have one at home and one at work. I grind 45 grams each day each place, and its never blinked. At home I go everywhere from drip to pour over to french press so I am adjusting all the time, again never a hiccup.
so far, I love it. No significant static issues either.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#69 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 29th, 2015, 3:21 pm

William Moy wrote:I bought this Capresso 560 from amazon 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's $95 right now.

Will
Ditto this rec.. I think we've had ours for at least 5 years now, and it gets used more than 300x per year. We are satisfied with the product, and will probably buy it again when ours craps out.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#70 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » December 14th, 2016, 9:19 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:So, Peter, after reading all this, what are you thinking?

I might be in the market for an inexpensive conical burr grinder this year/next, myself...at our home we have a Capresso with no complaints at all, so...that's our likely candidate.
Spoke too soon, I guess. The Capresso conical burr grinder, bought in mid-2014 on amazon for $135 (stainless steel) died yesterday after daily morning use. I called Capresso; they said the motor "burned out" and that there was nothing to do but order a new one..no repair, no help. Since it was beyond the one year warranty, Capresso offered a "discount" on a new one: would sell it for $99...the same price it is now on Amazon. No thanks. No more Capresso; too expensive to have lasted only 2.5 years..and no help from Capresso.

I ordered the Barzata Encore, based on this thread. But, I also ordered a 4 year warranty extension, as these machines aren't very durable in my experience. I mainly use coffee for Technivorm machine..and only occasionally for espresso. So, I dind't think the next more expensive Barzata was warranted.

We'll see.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Chris Blum » December 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

This is the best one we've ever had. Been using it for a few months. Nice deep cup, easy-ish to remove the top. Grinds pretty decent for a blade grinder. Not particularly noisy.

Krups F203
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Corey N.

#72 Post by Corey N. » December 14th, 2016, 11:57 am

Chris Blum wrote:This is the best one we've ever had. Been using it for a few months. Nice deep cup, easy-ish to remove the top. Grinds pretty decent for a blade grinder. Not particularly noisy.

Krups F203
I used one like that for probably 15 years. Kept thinking that when it finally went, I'd invest in a burr grinder...except that it kept going and going.

So I got a burr grinder anyway.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 14th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:Meanwhile, the Krups blade grinder we got as a wedding present 35 years ago is still grinding our coffee beans.

http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-Co ... B00004SPEU
Got one as a gift almost 20 years ago. Works like a charm.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Andrew Hamilton

#74 Post by Andrew Hamilton » December 14th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Scott Butler wrote:Some good review sites.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-burr-co ... 1653494382

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/coffee-grinders/

If you don't mind a little physical labor, this hand crank is $40 and has good reviews. Just don't buy it from Amazon, I noticed complaints that it isn't a true Hario, but a cheaper knockoff with lower quality. Though the reviews say its a lot of work if you are making a whole pot of fine grounds.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/har ... offee-mill

https://food52.com/shop/products/312-ha ... ee-grinder
I'm on the hand crank Hario bus as well. I own that exact Skerton model you've linked to above. The consistency of the grind is excellent. Combined with an AeroPress and a Nespresso milk frother I can make a very good cup of coffee at home or on vacation. Someday I might switch to an espresso machine at home but for now I'm very happy with the cost/benefit ratio of my setup.

And with regards to the physical labor required with a hand crank, I think my mate Matt's (who put me onto the Hario grinder in the first place) comment on that situation is quite insightful. His view is "coffee's a drug, so a timewasting ritual is totally OK." I never thought of it in that way but I reckon there's a bit of wisdom in that statement.
Don't be an idiot schmelt. It doesn't count unless you go bardownski.

Al Osterheld

#75 Post by Al Osterheld » December 14th, 2016, 8:59 pm

A blade grinder isn't really a grinder, it's a chopper. It shatters the beans and the subsequent larger pieces, producing a distribution of sizes of the ground coffee rather than the uniform grind from a high quality burr grinder. Sure, it lasts forever. But it's not a grinder.

-Al

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by alan weinberg » December 14th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Baratta Preciso for me. Fast and even grind. Had the Encore but it died. Love this more costly one.

#77 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » December 15th, 2016, 6:31 am

I bought a 4 year "protection"plan with the Barzata Encore I just bought. No chances this time...the Capresso died after 2.5 years; a kitchen aid I had that was built like a tank...died after 6. But the Saeco I got many years ago with my Technivorm is still working...though you have to hold the grinds hopper in as the latch is gone.

We'll see this time....

c_choi_
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by c_choi_ » December 16th, 2016, 2:21 pm

If the price of the burr grinders is off-putting for a beginner, one can also get the same quality with a refurbished model; just check their site to see what's in stock: http://www.baratza.com/product-category/refurb/
Chr|s Ch0|

Re: Inexpensive coffee grinders?

#79 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 18th, 2019, 5:55 am

FWIW, as its name suggests, the Encore did an encore, too, dying at almost precisely two and a half years. Now, to find the details of this extra plan, which I had compltety forgotten about. Any thoughts on the best ones these days, including durability? I'm just curious, as I hope I paid for something that will cover a new one. But, it's nice to know the current state of affairs.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by David K o l i n » May 18th, 2019, 6:55 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
October 8th, 2015, 2:18 pm
We have been using our old Braun 4045 for over 20 years. Still grinding beautifully. Made in Germany.

Saw these on ebay http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sop=16&_ ... 045&_frs=1
We lost ours several years ago after 30 years of daily use. ‘‘Twas a sad day

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by alan weinberg » May 23rd, 2019, 11:27 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:55 am
FWIW, as its name suggests, the Encore did an encore, too, dying at almost precisely two and a half years. Now, to find the details of this extra plan, which I had compltety forgotten about. Any thoughts on the best ones these days, including durability? I'm just curious, as I hope I paid for something that will cover a new one. But, it's nice to know the current state of affairs.
Baratza has an affordable repair/refurbish program. Sent mine in and they fixed it, not expensive.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Josh Grossman » May 23rd, 2019, 12:25 pm

Bodum. It has been great for me:

Also have the matching water kettle:
Last edited by Josh Grossman on May 23rd, 2019, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David Wright

#83 Post by David Wright » May 23rd, 2019, 12:30 pm

The encore (along with other baratzas) has parts that eventually wear out, but they can be replaced. How-tos and parts on their website.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm

We bought a Secura a couple of years ago SCG-903B. No issues so far
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

John S

#85 Post by John S » May 23rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

I'll weigh but not saying much new. Really just two primary options I can see.

If the blade type (I call them choppers) are fine then go ahead. They simply obliterate and chop the beans and leave the grind quite uneven. But if that works for you then by all means. I used to have one but have not used for coffee in 20 years now. Just pretty poor results for what I want.

For a real grinder I'd pretty much only go with the Barazta Encore as the lowest end. Great service and product. Get a refurb to save $$. There are other cheaper burr grinders but IMHO not that reliable for LT use and this is IMHO essential LT kitchen gear.

Not going into grinders for expresso as then you up the ante way beyond what you need for regular coffee.
John Sprow

Chris S p i k e s

#86 Post by Chris S p i k e s » May 23rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

Agree with John on all accounts. I didn't realize how much of an improvement my Encore had been for my coffee making until I went on vacation and packed a chopper blade grinder thinking that would be at least good enough and better than grinding ahead. I couldn't believe how poor the coffee came out for us compared to our usual. Now I take a high end hand burr grinder and have excellent results.

It's all about the particle size distribution. Blade grinders deliver particles from super fine all the way to coarse in the mix which means you have a lot of over-extraction (fines) and under-extraction (coarse) mixed with the proper sized particles. Some pretty sophisticated technological evaluations of particle size distribution for grinders set in the drip grind range has shown that the Baratza grinders are the best on the market for such. I have the Virtuoso which replaced my Encore after about 10 years.

As John mentioned, espresso grinders are a different beast with another digit of cost thrown in for the good ones. Also, good espresso grinders aren't the best drip grinders.

ybarselah

#87 Post by ybarselah » May 24th, 2019, 6:51 am

best deal going right now for an espresso grinder is the Sette 30 ($250) then adding the better adjustment assembly direct from baratza for $90. it's a phenomenally amazing design and grinder. overkill for drip or pourover, but i do get amazing results when used that way. you don't really need the better adjustment, but it's a rather cheap upgrade and you get to dial in exactly what you need. it's a modest improvement over stock, but likely worth if for those that have a better espresso machine and know what they're doing.

https://baratza.com/product/sette-270-2 ... -assembly/
Yaacov (ITB)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#88 Post by Robert M yers » May 24th, 2019, 10:24 am

Does the 30 with the $90 upgrade essentially turn it into the 270 model?

#89 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 26th, 2019, 6:57 am

alan weinberg wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 11:27 am
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:55 am
Baratza has an affordable repair/refurbish program. Sent mine in and they fixed it, not expensive.
Alan:

Did both your Baratzas die on you?

I bought another Encore, and had an issue when the new one arrived. Dealing with their "peoples" was pleasant and easy, and they have sent one to switch and send back the new one. Someone there said they had a "bad batch" of motors around 2016....is that your experience, too?

Hope all is well.

Had an unbelievable Sauzet Truffieres 2004 with local lobsters this weekend. A WOW wine.

stuart

ybarselah

#90 Post by ybarselah » May 26th, 2019, 8:34 am

Robert M yers wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 10:24 am
Does the 30 with the $90 upgrade essentially turn it into the 270 model?
yes. it misses some of the custom functionality and i think the portafilter holder is different, but the grinding mechanism was always the same, just with a plastic adjustment with fewer steps; this upgrade replaces that entire adjustment.
Yaacov (ITB)

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#91 Post by Robert M yers » May 26th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Almost pulled the trigger on a refurb 30 for $180, but then they wanted $50 to ship. Just better of getting a new one with free shipping on Amazon. Has anybody bought the optional burr unit for the Sette line which supposedly makes better drip grinds? Looks super easy to swap out but they don’t give a great explanation of how it’s better.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Almost pulled the trigger on a refurb 30 for $180, but then they wanted $50 to ship. Just better of getting a new one with free shipping on Amazon. Has anybody bought the optional burr unit for the Sette line which supposedly makes better drip grinds? Looks super easy to swap out but they don’t give a great explanation of how it’s better.
I thought the two burrs were included?

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#93 Post by Robert M yers » May 26th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
Here’s the other optional one supposedly for coarser grinds. I tried to call them 3 times on Friday for a better explanation but they weren’t picking up.

https://baratza.com/product/sette-bg-co ... rr-holder/

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#94 Post by Robert M yers » May 26th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Just went back and bought the 270wi refurb for 379. Looking at some YouTube videos it seems like for the most consistent coarse grind the other burr helps, but shouldn’t be absolutely necessary. I’ll play around and get it later if I think it would make a difference. Going from a chopper to this should be fun. I only have a Baby Gaggia right now, might be time to start looking...

Stan Y.

#95 Post by Stan Y. » May 27th, 2019, 7:04 am

For press pots, pour-overs, etc. I wish there was a good alternative to a big Ditting or Mahlkonig store grinder that are so expensive and huge. I have a Virtuoso and I still get lots of fines, and it still makes a mess...no coarse-grinding nirvana in this price range. But my cheap little Bonavita makes just as good a cup as the Technivorm that I used for years.
S. Y @ t € s

ybarselah

#96 Post by ybarselah » May 27th, 2019, 7:32 am

Robert M yers wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 8:12 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
Here’s the other optional one supposedly for coarser grinds. I tried to call them 3 times on Friday for a better explanation but they weren’t picking up.

https://baratza.com/product/sette-bg-co ... rr-holder/
i use the sette 1-2x per week to make pourover and I find that about position 25 is great. i haven't needed anything courser and it's perfectly even. shifting back to 11-13 for espresso needs one shot to recalibrate i find.
Yaacov (ITB)

#97 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 27th, 2019, 11:56 am

Stan Y. wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 7:04 am
For press pots, pour-overs, etc. I wish there was a good alternative to a big Ditting or Mahlkonig store grinder that are so expensive and huge. I have a Virtuoso and I still get lots of fines, and it still makes a mess...no coarse-grinding nirvana in this price range. But my cheap little Bonavita makes just as good a cup as the Technivorm that I used for years.
What happened to the Technivorm? and...how long have you had the Bonavita? I reco'd it to a couple, and it died in a few months...so...they gave up and went back to whatever they were using. So, I am curious what the best value in a high-temp coffeemaker is these days....short of Technivorm.

John S

#98 Post by John S » May 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Check this site linked below for what i would term the best for serious coffee people who want drip. I have the Bonavita and have used the Techivorm as well. Both seem to perform pretty similarly, maybe a slight edge to the Bonavita for home roaster like myself who often has very freshly roasted beans. The Technivorm is cooler looking but I prefered the nice water spout of the Bonavita. Technivorm is also more solid but comes at a much steeper price. I had the Bonavita 1900 for 18 mos, never a problem. Would not rec the one with the heated plate, bad for your brew!

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
John Sprow

ybarselah

#99 Post by ybarselah » May 28th, 2019, 5:54 am

John S wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
this is fantastic - thanks for the reference.
Yaacov (ITB)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 28th, 2019, 8:00 am

Robert M yers wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Just went back and bought the 270wi refurb for 379. Looking at some YouTube videos it seems like for the most consistent coarse grind the other burr helps, but shouldn’t be absolutely necessary. I’ll play around and get it later if I think it would make a difference. Going from a chopper to this should be fun. I only have a Baby Gaggia right now, might be time to start looking...
I bought the same grinder this weekend. It does not come with the extra burr. I’ll try it with the regular burr first.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”