Inexpensive coffee grinders?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
ybarselah

Re: Inexpensive coffee grinders?

#101 Post by ybarselah »

John S wrote: May 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm Check this site linked below for what i would term the best for serious coffee people who want drip. I have the Bonavita and have used the Techivorm as well. Both seem to perform pretty similarly, maybe a slight edge to the Bonavita for home roaster like myself who often has very freshly roasted beans. The Technivorm is cooler looking but I prefered the nice water spout of the Bonavita. Technivorm is also more solid but comes at a much steeper price. I had the Bonavita 1900 for 18 mos, never a problem. Would not rec the one with the heated plate, bad for your brew!

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
one of the machines in this list (bonavita) is on drop right now for a pretty great price at $100 ... just got one for drip.

https://drop.com/buy/bonavita-8-cup-car ... rer=KHHQTR
Yaacov (ITB)

Chris S p i k e s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Chris S p i k e s »

ybarselah wrote: July 18th, 2019, 11:53 am
John S wrote: May 27th, 2019, 12:32 pm Check this site linked below for what i would term the best for serious coffee people who want drip. I have the Bonavita and have used the Techivorm as well. Both seem to perform pretty similarly, maybe a slight edge to the Bonavita for home roaster like myself who often has very freshly roasted beans. The Technivorm is cooler looking but I prefered the nice water spout of the Bonavita. Technivorm is also more solid but comes at a much steeper price. I had the Bonavita 1900 for 18 mos, never a problem. Would not rec the one with the heated plate, bad for your brew!

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
one of the machines in this list (bonavita) is on drop right now for a pretty great price at $100 ... just got one for drip.

https://drop.com/buy/bonavita-8-cup-car ... rer=KHHQTR
I saw that earlier and am tempted. But, the max of only 8 cups is a bit of an issue and I really don't need it since I've been using a Technivorm for years and it's still going strong.

Edit - Crap, on closer inspection the volume capacity is about the same as Technivorm - 1.3L. So that eliminates one of my hurdles keeping me from spending the money. Decisions....

2nd Edit - It's only a few dollars more on Amazon. Not worth any savings for something that isn't a need for me right now.

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Mark.Ricca »

I'm still blissful in my ignorance as I have been using the same Braun blade grinder for 30+ years, but I gotta tell you, this looked really interesting. I just purchased a salad spinner by this manufacturer and it is really well detailed and well made. (plus warrantied for life)
If this grinder is as good as the salad spinner, for $16.97, that's some pretty hefty QPR.

ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

John S

#104 Post by John S »

I have read the hand grinders can do a nice job grinding but are very slow to grind much. So I would read up on that. Once you retire you chopper you won’t look back.
John Sprow

Ruth_Morrison

#105 Post by Ruth_Morrison »

I understand you. It is quite difficult to find a good coffee machine. I've been making coffee in a coffee maker for five years. It took about 10-15 minutes. Then I couldn't find an inexpensive but high-quality coffee machine for a very long time. After two months of searching, I came across budget espresso machines. I could afford to buy two of these coffee machines. I kept one for me and my wife, and the other gave to my mother. It's been a year since I bought this coffee machine. I use it every day. It is still in excellent condition.
Last edited by Ruth_Morrison on December 28th, 2020, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ybarselah

#106 Post by ybarselah »

Mark.Ricca wrote: August 14th, 2019, 5:24 am I'm still blissful in my ignorance as I have been using the same Braun blade grinder for 30+ years, but I gotta tell you, this looked really interesting. I just purchased a salad spinner by this manufacturer and it is really well detailed and well made. (plus warrantied for life)
If this grinder is as good as the salad spinner, for $16.97, that's some pretty hefty QPR.

regarding coffee of all methods, the grinder is as important if not more so for certain preparations. if you acknowledge that freshly ground beans are superior to pre-ground for all preps (they are), then it should quickly follow that the method of grinding matters immensely (it does). the idea of expecting good/great coffee at home without investing in a proper grinder is an impossibility.

edit: it seems the software update renders amazon links differently/incorrectly
Yaacov (ITB)

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”