Inexpensive coffee grinders?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
PeterJ

#1 Post by PeterJ » October 7th, 2015, 5:57 pm

I have a Jura in my garage that someone gave me because the burr grinder in it stopped working. That thing sells for something. like $2500. We just returned a $50 Cuisinart burr grinder that stopped grinding after 5 or 6 uses.

I've read that burr grinders make much better coffee than blade machines, but it sure seems like burr technology is challenged. Anyone have a recommendation for a good grinder under $100. Preferably one that will grind a significant amount of beans without having to have a switch held down constantly (wife request)?
Peter J@ckel

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Randy Bowman » October 7th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Let me know if you find one. We haven't found one for under a $150 that lasted more than 6 months and most less than 4 months. Meanwhile, the Krups blade grinder we got as a wedding present 35 years ago is still grinding our coffee beans.

http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-Co ... B00004SPEU
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2015, 9:35 pm

check out wholelattelove.com.

William Moy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by William Moy » October 8th, 2015, 4:06 am

I bought this Capresso 560 from amazon 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's $95 right now.

Will

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » October 8th, 2015, 5:10 am

I've also read that burr grinders are superior. But my Krups blade grinder has been going strong for 25 years.
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

P. Willenberg

#6 Post by P. Willenberg » October 8th, 2015, 11:20 am

William Moy wrote:I bought this Capresso 560 from amazon 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's $95 right now.

Will

^^^^^^^This is the best value for your money. the timer is great because you can walk away and not worry about it.

And for those burr grinder doubters. have your local coffee shop grind you a dose then grind your own at home as soon as possible and brew them side my side. you'll see the difference, I promise, especially if you've ever picked out a flavor in a wine before. newhere
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Michael O'Brien » October 8th, 2015, 2:18 pm

We have been using our old Braun 4045 for over 20 years. Still grinding beautifully. Made in Germany.

Saw these on ebay http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sop=16&_ ... 045&_frs=1
PlanoWino

PeterJ

#8 Post by PeterJ » October 8th, 2015, 2:20 pm

William Moy wrote:I bought this Capresso 560 from amazon 3 years ago and it's still going strong. It's $95 right now.

Will
That's the one my wife brought home last night. Fingers crossed. It's made by Jura or appears to be. First use seemed better than the one she returned. Some grinders don't give you access to the actual cutting mechanism for cleaning but this one does. Don't think it's a true BURR type though. Maybe that's better.
Peter J@ckel

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#9 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 8th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Baratza Encore - awesome grinder
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

M Hudson

#10 Post by M Hudson » October 8th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Todd's suggestion. I use the next step up at home and my office, but if all I ever did was drip, I would buy what todd did.

BTW thats the same price at some of the inet dealers and places like seattle coffee gear and whole latte love run 10% off at most major holidays
M@rk
Actions Matter

ybarselah

#11 Post by ybarselah » October 8th, 2015, 3:37 pm

for drip coffee or pourover, you can do well with most grinders in the $100-$150 range. but if you're looking for espresso, the grinder will be, by far, the weakest link. in fact, at the lower end of espresso machines, the grinder will be MUCH more important than the machine.
Yaacov (ITB)

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 8th, 2015, 5:51 pm

an oxymoron?
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Mel Hill

#13 Post by Mel Hill » October 8th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Bought this unit a year or two ago and it works really well. A bit messy sometimes but very consistent grind. Tends to drop grinds after you remove the container unless you bounce the unit a bit as it finishes grinding

PeterJ

#14 Post by PeterJ » October 8th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

............ Tends to drop grinds after you remove the container unless you bounce the unit a bit as it finishes grinding
The Capresso does exactly the same thing.
Peter J@ckel

Scott Butler

#15 Post by Scott Butler » October 9th, 2015, 8:50 am

I've had this one for about 5 years now, $45 and still going strong. I got one for my Father in law, and it is 18 months old and still working great.

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by MitchTallan » October 9th, 2015, 9:22 am

I have the Baratza and I am on my third motor. They charged me $80 each time despite it being barely out of warranty the first time. I believe that the motor problem was a small epidemic a few years ago and they switched the motor type from DC to AC or vice versa. But, I've had it for six or seven years and Baratza's turn around time is very good. If you splurge on the metal based unit, it does not suffer from the static electricity and Klingons (spelling intentional) that the all plastic unit has in the wintertime. Sorry for thread drift, but after twelve years of heavy use, I replaced my Technivorm Mochamaster with a Technivorm Mochamaster. The bike shop that sponsors our team has a sister business of roasting coffee and is a Technivorm dealer. Getting a discount and getting it immediately (in stock) was too good to pass up. New one has auto shut-off on burner after two hours and redesigned spout at the end of the water bar/bridge. The old one which is still perfectly good is going to one of my sons in college. My wife is pissed that I pissed away money replacing a perfectly good coffee maker. Oh well. Not the first or last time.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by David K o l i n » October 9th, 2015, 9:30 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:We have been using our old Braun 4045 for over 20 years. Still grinding beautifully. Made in Germany.

I loved this grinder. It lasted over 25 years for me as well.
Mel Hill wrote:
Todd French wrote:

Bought this unit a year or two ago and it works really well. A bit messy sometimes but very consistent grind. Tends to drop grinds after you remove the container unless you bounce the unit a bit as it finishes grinding

This is our current grinder. Does a great job but as Mel said, it can be messy. I'll try the bouncing technique. Most of my mess seems to result from post-grinding static electricity in the hopper

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#18 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 9th, 2015, 9:33 am

David K o l i n wrote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:We have been using our old Braun 4045 for over 20 years. Still grinding beautifully. Made in Germany.

I loved this grinder. It lasted over 25 years for me as well.
Mel Hill wrote:
Todd French wrote:

This is our current grinder. Does a great job but as Mel said, it can be messy. I'll try the bouncing technique. Most of my mess seems to result from post-grinding static electricity in the hopper
Any leftover hulls are easily cleaned up with a damp paper towel - I do that maybe once every 2 weeks, if that
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Al Osterheld

#19 Post by Al Osterheld » October 9th, 2015, 9:53 am

Not sure why, but the amount of static cling seems to depend on the beans, less with a lighter roast, more with a darker, oilier looking roast.

-Al

David Wright

#20 Post by David Wright » October 9th, 2015, 9:58 am

Mel Hill wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

To release stuck grounds after grinding, I give mine a gentle thwack with the heel of the hand on the front of the machine, just above the top edge of the container.

PeterJ

#21 Post by PeterJ » October 9th, 2015, 10:15 am

Scott Butler wrote:I've had this one for about 5 years now, $45 and still going strong. I got one for my Father in law, and it is 18 months old and still working great.

The Cuisinart is the same model we just returned. Must have been a defective unit.
Peter J@ckel

Scott Butler

#22 Post by Scott Butler » October 9th, 2015, 10:38 am

PeterJ wrote:
Scott Butler wrote:I've had this one for about 5 years now, $45 and still going strong. I got one for my Father in law, and it is 18 months old and still working great.

The Cuisinart is the same model we just returned. Must have been a defective unit.
Oh yes, I see that now, too bad. i've been very happy.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

P. Willenberg

#23 Post by P. Willenberg » October 9th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:Not sure why, but the amount of static cling seems to depend on the beans, less with a lighter roast, more with a darker, oilier looking roast.

-Al
lighter roasted beans often still have some of the chaff. when you burn the beans, the chaff burns off and the oils move from inside to outside of the beans.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

RMolnar

#24 Post by RMolnar » October 10th, 2015, 2:31 pm

I've also had good luck with that Capresso grinder--has lasted about 10 years, although it's not my everyday grinder (it lives at the office now). Will agree that the static can be annoying, and I also burp the grinder once it's done.
R@chel

David Kaufman

#25 Post by David Kaufman » October 10th, 2015, 3:31 pm

I have this. It's cheap and gives you a workout!

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill ... 6461716011

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 11th, 2015, 6:48 am

PeterJ wrote:I have a Jura in my garage that someone gave me because the burr grinder in it stopped working. That thing sells for something. like $2500. We just returned a $50 Cuisinart burr grinder that stopped grinding after 5 or 6 uses.

I've read that burr grinders make much better coffee than blade machines, but it sure seems like burr technology is challenged. Anyone have a recommendation for a good grinder under $100. Preferably one that will grind a significant amount of beans without having to have a switch held down constantly (wife request)?
Google how to fix the Jura

PeterJ

#27 Post by PeterJ » October 12th, 2015, 9:28 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: Google how to fix the Jura
If you have more specific info I'd really appreciate it. I did some heavy duty Googling a year or so ago but didn't find much of use. It appears that no repair places will work on the Jura but Jura will refurb it for around $300. That's a good deal but I'd probably only do it to sell it. We really don't need something like that for daily use at home.
Peter J@ckel

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 12th, 2015, 6:43 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: Google how to fix the Jura
If you have more specific info I'd really appreciate it. I did some heavy duty Googling a year or so ago but didn't find much of use. It appears that no repair places will work on the Jura but Jura will refurb it for around $300. That's a good deal but I'd probably only do it to sell it. We really don't need something like that for daily use at home.
Not such useful advice I suppose. It's hard to find advice on a Jura grinder given all the automatic machines they sell. Do you know who sells it?

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#29 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 13th, 2015, 6:02 am

So, Peter, after reading all this, what are you thinking?

I might be in the market for an inexpensive conical burr grinder this year/next, myself...at our home we have a Capresso with no complaints at all, so...that's our likely candidate.

Bob Sherwood

#30 Post by Bob Sherwood » October 13th, 2015, 7:53 am

Brad B a l l i n g e r wrote:I've also read that burr grinders are superior. But my Krups blade grinder has been going strong for 25 years.
+1. Exactly my experience; can't tamper with success.
“Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined.”

- Samuel Goldwyn

#31 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 13th, 2015, 10:24 am

I think that's a given re: burr grinders. I made that move years ago because of that "wisdom". But, if something works for you....I guess...why mess with it.

Burr grinders have provided me with what I've wanted over the years. They just don't last forever.

PeterJ

#32 Post by PeterJ » October 13th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:So, Peter, after reading all this, what are you thinking?

I might be in the market for an inexpensive conical burr grinder this year/next, myself...at our home we have a Capresso with no complaints at all, so...that's our likely candidate.
My wife bought the Capressa and it is working fine so far. Seems to be quieter and better than the Cuisinart. Still trying to figure out the static issue because our counter is small tile and the grout doesn't take sealing well, so the powdery grounds tend to discolor it immediately during cleanup. Kindof a drag having to pull out a large mat to put under it each time, but we'll survive.
Peter J@ckel

#33 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 13th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I had a Kitchen Aid industrial model for a number of years. They had a glass carafe to supposedly eliminate that issue. The glass kept breaking and they charged me each time...snug fit. It worked ok with darker roasts..but, as pointed out here, the lighter, chaff will fly around. Nothing seems to solve that issue no matter the machine.

good luck

Chris S p i k e s

#34 Post by Chris S p i k e s » October 13th, 2015, 3:06 pm

This is way outside the price point you're seeking: http://www.baratza.com/grinder/virtuoso/

But how many are you going to buy and throw away before you get one that does the job? These are built rock solid and are easy to work on yourself and baratza does a great job supporting them with knowledge and part. This particular one has been widely considered the best for drip type coffee. I've been very pleased. I suspect this will last me another 20 years with replacing the burrs every 5-10 years and a few other small parts.

And, originally I bought their lower model one at the time (dumb luck, I didn't know it was good) and it did great work for 10+ years. I've now replaced the burrs in it and it's great again. It's a little smaller, so we use it on vacations.

PeterJ

#35 Post by PeterJ » October 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Chris S p i k e s wrote:This is way outside the price point you're seeking: http://www.baratza.com/grinder/virtuoso/

But how many are you going to buy and throw away before you get one that does the job?
Throw them away? My wife has kept every receipt for everything she's bought in the last 25 years. But the one we returned we'd had for only 2 weeks.
Peter J@ckel

GMcCarthy

#36 Post by GMcCarthy » October 14th, 2015, 5:36 am

Chris S p i k e s wrote:This is way outside the price point you're seeking: http://www.baratza.com/grinder/virtuoso/

But how many are you going to buy and throw away before you get one that does the job? These are built rock solid and are easy to work on yourself and baratza does a great job supporting them with knowledge and part. This particular one has been widely considered the best for drip type coffee. I've been very pleased. I suspect this will last me another 20 years with replacing the burrs every 5-10 years and a few other small parts.

And, originally I bought their lower model one at the time (dumb luck, I didn't know it was good) and it did great work for 10+ years. I've now replaced the burrs in it and it's great again. It's a little smaller, so we use it on vacations.
Yup. Buy it right the first time and forget it. My inlaws asked for a grinder recommendation a few years ago and I gave similar recommendations as above. They balked at the price range and bought at the bottom of the burr grinder range. I think they are on their 3rd unit and have spent over $300 in total.
Greg McCarthy
itb:beer

Al Osterheld

#37 Post by Al Osterheld » October 14th, 2015, 6:05 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:I had a Kitchen Aid industrial model for a number of years. They had a glass carafe to supposedly eliminate that issue. The glass kept breaking and they charged me each time...snug fit. It worked ok with darker roasts..but, as pointed out here, the lighter, chaff will fly around. Nothing seems to solve that issue no matter the machine.

good luck
Actually, mine (Capresso) does the opposite. The light roasts have very little static electricity problem, the darker roasts generate more (although really not hard to wipe up each time).

-Al

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 14th, 2015, 7:14 am

got this from Costco a few years back. Works just fine.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Chris Blum » October 14th, 2015, 7:29 am

We have this and I hate it

It is impossible to remove the lid without spilling coffee.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Al Osterheld

#40 Post by Al Osterheld » October 14th, 2015, 8:33 am

Don't get a blade chopper.

-Al

Brian Zamkotowicz

#41 Post by Brian Zamkotowicz » October 14th, 2015, 8:57 am

Have this, works reasonably well. Really cheap for a burr grinder.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CUIDBM8

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Chris Blum » October 14th, 2015, 9:26 am

Al Osterheld wrote:Don't get a blade chopper.

-Al
I know coffee snobs agree with you, but what is the rationale? (I drink almost 100% espresso rather than drip or other)
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

#43 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 14th, 2015, 9:28 am

There are all levels of grinders: blade, "burr" and "conical burr". The last is what the better machines are.

Blade choppers are good for dry spices and pepper, etc...not for coffee.

#44 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » October 14th, 2015, 9:31 am

Chris Blum wrote:

-Al
I know coffee snobs agree with you, but what is the rationale? (I drink almost 100% espresso rather than drip or other)
"Sweet Maria" explains....consistency of the ground is impossible with blade grinder. http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/c ... esso-grind

M Hudson

#45 Post by M Hudson » October 14th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Chris Blum wrote:

-Al
do I understand that you are using a blade grinder to dose espresso, or you just use espresso beans for drip?
M@rk
Actions Matter

PeterJ

#46 Post by PeterJ » October 14th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Stay tuned. Wife says she's returning the Capressa in favor of a Krups that had a covered bin. Her assumption is that the open design of the Capressa bin is allowing the static to toss the grounds around. At least we can empty a closed bin in the sink to avoid the grout staining problem. The Cuisinart we started this odyssey with had the same kind of bin, so we'll see.

Who knew this was such a big deal?
Peter J@ckel

b. c@stner

#47 Post by b. c@stner » October 15th, 2015, 3:38 pm

I have two Breville Smart Grinders that I have dialed in to a Gaggia Baby and a Sylvia (yep I know you can't pair these two together...wrong) for the last couple of years. Took a bit of tweaking and I'm pretty consistent with the beans I use.
b 0 b

David Wright

#48 Post by David Wright » October 15th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Yo, Peter... perhaps you could use a handheld vacuum to pick up errant coffee grounds without staining the grout. I use this one to deal with copious amounts of chaff when roasting coffee beans. It works very well, and the lithium battery holds a charge for a long time.

FWIW my Baratza Encore grinder (conical burr) makes very little mess.

William Moy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by William Moy » October 16th, 2015, 5:36 am

PeterJ wrote:Stay tuned. Wife says she's returning the Capressa in favor of a Krups that had a covered bin. Her assumption is that the open design of the Capressa bin is allowing the static to toss the grounds around. At least we can empty a closed bin in the sink to avoid the grout staining problem. The Cuisinart we started this odyssey with had the same kind of bin, so we'll see.

Who knew this was such a big deal?
I usually grind it and let it sit for a bit (maybe 20 minutes or so) and the static goes away.

PeterJ

#50 Post by PeterJ » October 16th, 2015, 12:18 pm

David Wright wrote:Yo, Peter... perhaps you could use a handheld vacuum to pick up errant coffee grounds without staining the grout. I use this one to deal with copious amounts of chaff when roasting coffee beans. It works very well, and the lithium battery holds a charge for a long time.

FWIW my Baratza Encore grinder (conical burr) makes very little mess.
Why go to the trouble if you can keep returning units until you find the right one? As an ex-retailer I am particularly thrilled by the practice. :o
Peter J@ckel

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”