Any other uses for iSi whipped cream maker

Cleaning up the house yesterday and throwing out useless items,I found an iSi whipped cream maker. This model:

Maybe someone gave it to me as a gift, or maybe one of my son’s friends accidentally left it at my house after using it to breath nitrous oxide, because of course my children would never do that. [head-bang.gif]

I do not use whipped cream on anything and haven’t made it decades. In an emergency with little kids coming to the house, I once bought a can of that spray whipped cream stuff, but even that was years ago.

Are there any uses for this device other than making whipped cream? If no one has any good ideas, I think I’m going to fill it with tomato juice and a NO2 cartridge and see what comes out.

I don’t have that exact model, but I mostly use my iSi for cocktail-related experiments. Making fizzy fruit garnishes, doing rapid infusions, carbonating cocktails, homemade alcoholic donut filling, alcoholic pudding, etc. A lot of these uses call for CO2 cartridges rather than NO2, although it is interesting to pressurize a cocktail with NO2.

Come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever used the thing for regular whipped cream…

I’ve been considering getting one for cocktail experiments.

Who doesn’t hand whip their whipped cream?*

To be honest, when my back acts up I’ll use an electric mixer instead.

You mentioned the best use, including making whipped cream, in the first post: Whippets.

c.f. iSi Gourmet Whip – The Must-Have Tool in Modernist Cuisine

I have used mine to make potato foam. Add some mashed potatoes with warm cream into the canister. Use one canister, shake, and dispense.
I have also done something similar with warm half and half, vegetable stock and blue cheese to make a foam to serve with steak.

Sounds good, that’s the kind of thing I am looking for. I will have to buy a tip (which seems to be missing) and then I think I will experiment with some weird stuff like making foam out of a mixture of my homemade mole sauce (strained) and stock to pipe onto open faced pulled pork sandwiches.

Jay
Go visit the ChefSteps web site. They use them frequently for many items. I did the hollandaise sauce. Epic.

A mole foam on some roast chicken sounds like it could be great. (Pulled pork and anything with a foam or similar modernist type technique just seems wrong as BBQ sauce seems perfect already.)
Your mole sauce idea seems a good one.

I remember Alton Brown using one to make a non-dairy chocolate mousse with dark chocolate and coffee:

We tried this once; I liked it, Lori didn’t (she’s not a fan of coffee in desserts).

The NO2 is fat-soluble so you need a minimum amount of fat in order for it to foam, which is why the AB recipe calls for 54% chocolate - higher % cacao and I think there’s not enough cocoa butter to get the foam.