Eating and Drinking in Paris

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Robert Dentice

#1 Post by Robert Dentice » July 1st, 2015, 1:35 am

Boutique yam'Tcha - stopped by on our first day and had buns and tea. This is in the old space and only serves buns. Fantastic.

Miznon - Nice addition to the Marais. Not quite as scintillating as the original in Tel Aviv but still extremely delicious.

Clown Bar - fantastic meal and wine. The pigeon was outstanding. We had a 10:00 reservation and were the last diners sitting outside when the entire restaurant filled up with circus performers - surreal!

Septime - For my tastes one of my favorite restaurants in Paris.

Gare Au Gorille - Gorgeous new place by two former Septime alums in the 17th. We had a perfect lunch and will be going back often. Highly recommended.

Heimat - The legendary Pierre Jancou's new place. We stopped in after dinner and ended up eating everything they had left in the kitchen. Wow the food was outstanding. A dish that was comprised of sardines over bread soaked in tomato juice was amazing in its freshness and simplicity.

Four more days to go....follow along on instagram:

https://instagram.com/soilpimp/
Last edited by Robert Dentice on November 25th, 2019, 12:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by M.Kaplan » July 1st, 2015, 6:07 am

Please keep them coming, Robert. Looking to fill in 10 or so new restaurants for our October visit. Love both Septime and Clown Bar.

Will definitely check out Heimat, as we have been big fans of Vivant.
Thanks!
---Mark

Robert Dentice

#3 Post by Robert Dentice » July 1st, 2015, 7:40 am

Lunch at Clover was very good. If you find your self in the 7th it is well worth going. Not quite on the level of a Septime or Gare Au Gorille.

Mark - my intention for this trip was to explore a number of new places. The new restaurant I am most excited for is Restaurant A.T. which we have booked for Friday so stay tuned.

Jeremy Holmes

#4 Post by Jeremy Holmes » July 2nd, 2015, 7:07 pm

We had an excellent meal at Gare au Gorille Robert. Pages is also brilliant if you have time and can get in.

Best Regards
Jeremy
ITB

Robert Dentice

#5 Post by Robert Dentice » July 5th, 2015, 2:07 pm

The New Yam'Tcha was outstanding as usual. Can't really say the food changed which is a good thing as it is one of my favorite restaurants in Paris. The space is much larger than the old yet still intimate.

Restaurant A.T was one of the best meals of the trip despite the 100 degree weather. Superb food and an excellent mostly Natural wine list with many new producers to me. The Winebar below is also worth checking out.

Lastly 6 Bistro Paul Bert has a new chef and it is slightly less cerebral than the prior chef but still very good and the wine list is excellent.

It was very difficult eating in 100 degree weather and had I known what I know now I would have probably lightened up our schedule. It was extremely challenging for the wine professionals who had to chill every bottle prior to bringing it to the table, chill the glasses and then keep everything chilled. Most of the cellars are not cooled so it made me wonder if some of the wines will suffer permanent heat damage.

ybarselah

#6 Post by ybarselah » July 29th, 2015, 9:00 am

TIL that Clown Bar is literally a Clown Bar
Yaacov (ITB)

John W Osgood

#7 Post by John W Osgood » September 11th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Great to hear that Yam T'cha 2.0 is as good as the original. The meal there in 2013 blew me away. I tried to visit in May this year but they were not yet open. Need to get back to Paris!
IG: vins_rouges

CT: JOsgood

Robert Dentice

#8 Post by Robert Dentice » July 5th, 2017, 1:43 am

Just back from our annual July 4th trip. Our plan for this trip was to not do our usual pre-planning/scripting of lunch and dinner every single day. This was partly because we are bit burned out with this approach and because I am slammed with work so I did not have much time to plan. We have enough connections at the hard to get in places that we love that this is also not a necessity. We did make two reservations one for lunch at L'Astrance and another for dinner at Septime for nine full days in Paris.

We like to go to Le 6 Bistro Paul Bert or Cave Bistro Paul Bert for our first meal for sentimental reasons. This trip we chose Le 6 Bistro Paul Bert and as usual it was delicious and right on cue when the owner heard we were there called in from the country to welcome us. We had a fantastic simple fresh tomato dish and a mind-blowing charred avocado dish (avocado seems to be very popular in Paris at this time). We drank a beautiful 1998 Domaine Valette Clos Monsier that was unfortunately their last bottle, I am sure I have drank at least 5 other bottles there.

With no reservations on a Saturday night we decided to hit Clamato and it was also a great meal with lots of fresh produce and the usual great seafood (Clamato is the casual seafood centric restaurant from Septime).

After Clamato and approaching Midnight we head over to Clown Bar to meet with some Chefs who are finishing up service. It was late, dark, I was on NYC time and it has been a few years but I stupidly after hearing the Chef at the at the end of the table works at Le Coucou ask him if he worked at the original Spring and he says without embarassing me yes I have been there from the beginning, I then realize it was Chef Daniel Rose. We drank extremely well late into the night, before leaving we make our impossible reservation for Sunday night (their busiest night and its Mens Fashion Week) and stroll home.

Sunday we head over to Le Verre Vole for lunch another very special spot for us where we have eaten well over 15x. We meet a friend who is in town for Mens Fashion Week who does not usually have time to eat during the craziness. We choose all of the fish options and ask for an off the menu anything greens dish and are extremely happy. The 07 Ganevat mon Pere is fantastic.

Since we have a late dinner we head to Cave Paul Bert for a bottle of Selosse Initiale (2009 disgorgement and 110 Euros) and the best sardines in Paris. PROTIP - Cave Paul Bert is open 7 days a week and the simple food is actually fantastic and it sadly is never crowded, it is very small 7 or 8 bar stools and two tables in front. You can buy wine to go and order wine from the other Paul Bert places. I LOVE THIS PLACE.

For dinner we head to Clown Bar and it is as fantastic as ever. A simple buckwheat onion pancake is delicious and holds our attention for an extended period of time and beyond. "Tempura" zucchini made with charcoal is outstanding. And of course their Pigeon dish is always fantastic.

Then all hell breaks lose with work and the next four days are mostly trashed...

I did manage to go to Frenchie Wine Bar on Monday evening for a quick dinner. The food is very good; however, I get why locals don't like the place. It is near 100% tourists, the servers a little prickly (although to be fair I did have to take four calls over the course of a 1.5 hour meal) and the food has close to zero french influence. I would definitely go back based on the food and because they are open on Mondays. Beware though if you do not get there early the line/wait can be really long.

Wednesday I am able to make our lunch at L'Astrance and it a wonderful meal all around. Chef Pascal Barbot has recently traveled to a few different countries in Asia and has added a couple of dishes that were inspired by his travels. The service is relaxed for a three star but still perfect. The sommelier was fantastic, I was able to have a 2012 Clemens Bush Falkenlay which made me extremely happy and the somm poured me a 2005 wine (Mondeuse) from Savoie that is sadly no longer made that was a beautiful wine. It was such a great experience that I can't wait to go back.

I sadly had to miss Septime on Thursday but I can report from others that it was a great as always (Septime is my overall favorite restaurant in Paris).

Abe Schoener is in town for only two days and I have always wanted to show him "our" Paris! Thursday did not really work out as planned. I hope Friday will...

On Friday we start with Lunch at Clown Bar, we again order three of the Buckwheat Onion Pancakes and they are outstanding. The "Tempura" dish today is sardine and WOW they are amazing. Lunch in the pouring rain at Clown Bar turns into a 5 hour affair with many friends coming and going and sharing of wine including an amazing 10th anniversary edition Cornelissen Munjebel that we discuss with James Murphy who is doing an interview for his new album over lunch but would rather talk about wine. Close to 5 pm and even though there are no subtle hints from the polite staff we know we should go...

We of course head to Cave Paul Bert for snacks - Sardines and Selosse. Bertrand the owner is there and all of sudden the best cured meat and oysters I have ever had are delivered from the main restaurant Bistro Paul Bert and wine is ordered from all three venues (luckily they are on the same street).

After Cave Paul Bert we head to my friends Atsushi Tanaka's restaurant, Restaurant A.T We let his partner Lulie do all the wine pairings and she dazzles us with her choices including a blind wine that turns out to be a classic style Pinot Noir from of all places Japan! The meal is all around fantastic and we end up hanging late into the night with Atsushi and Lulie.

15 hours later I think Abe understands why we LOVE Paris...

We head (hungover) to the Loire in the morning...

Many pictures on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/soilpimp/

And one more day in Paris that I will write about later.

p.s. I am sure there are a million typos in here but I wanted to get this up while it was still fresh as I hope it will help others planning Paris trips!
Last edited by Robert Dentice on July 8th, 2017, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated July 2017)

#9 Post by c fu » July 5th, 2017, 1:10 pm

great as always Robert!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by RyanC » July 5th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Wow -- this is the type of Paris trip I'd love to take once I don't have two small kids in tow. Excellent report!
C@ughey

lsmorris

#11 Post by lsmorris » July 6th, 2017, 6:22 am

Spectacular stuff, Robert!

We went to Restaurant A.T. in April 2016. Best foie gras dish I have ever eaten. It was the first dinner we ever ate in Paris and we had an early reservation. Three courses in, we were still the only ones in the place, and I commented to my wife that this place is effing amazing, how sad we're the only ones here. Thankfully, it filled up rapidly after that.
Laurence

Robert Dentice

#12 Post by Robert Dentice » July 8th, 2017, 4:26 am

After the Loire where we attended an amazing wedding with 10 or so top winemakers from the region and had the winemaker visit of a lifetime (you can read about that here - http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/7046 ... 9ab63bc7d/ ) we head back to Paris for one last day. We arrive at the awkward time of 2:30 where most places are closed for lunch so naturally we head to Cave Paul Bert there is only one person at the counter and the chef is acting as both chef and waiter. We order most everything on the menu and I can easily say the croque monsieur is the best I have ever had.

Dinner is at Saturne which is the michelin starred sister restaurant to Clown Bar. It is a blend of nordic inspired cuisine and french technique. We loved our meal and they have one of the most fascinating natural wine lists with many older vintages (which is rare) and many wines I do not know.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by M.Kaplan » July 8th, 2017, 6:03 am

Great report. I am a big fan of Saturne, which always provides a good, interesting discovery menu at a fair price. Not only is their selection of natural wines extensive, it is kept cold and the wines I've tasted there have always been fresh. I've had problems with wine spoilage at Clown Bar and A.T (and sometimes Le Chateaubriand), where I like the food but the wines have often been disappointing.
---Mark

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 8th, 2017, 9:12 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Great report. I am a big fan of Saturne, which always provides a good, interesting discovery menu at a fair price. Not only is their selection of natural wines extensive, it is kept cold and the wines I've tasted there have always been fresh. I've had problems with wine spoilage at Clown Bar and A.T (and sometimes Le Chateaubriand), where I like the food but the wines have often been disappointing.
If you're looking for "natural wines," which appears to be the big trend here now, check out -> http://www.lesfinesgueules.fr/
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Robert Dentice

Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated December 2017)

#15 Post by Robert Dentice » December 31st, 2017, 2:43 am

Our fourth meal at Septime was as spectacular as all of the others one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

Had a great time at Cave Paul Bert and very nice meal at Le 6th Paul Bert (I prefer it for lunch).

Le Rigmarole opened in October. Two young chefs that have worked all over the world including Brooklyn Fare and Tori Shin. The focus is primarily Yakatori with a number of notable surprises that reflect the two chefs diverse training including a stunning pasta dish. I really liked it and will be adding this to the rotation.

Le Sèrvan - Very nice meal and perfect choice for a light late night dinner after a long lunch.

Benichat is a new Natural wine bar from a former Clown Bar/Restaurant A.T/Ten Bells somm. Really fun place that is open until 2:00. I will definitely be going back.

Another great wine lunch at Tour d'Argent.

Tonight we ring in the new year at Restaurant A.T

Lots of photos on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/soilpimp/

Jerry Hey

#16 Post by Jerry Hey » January 1st, 2018, 8:00 pm

Robert Dentice - Our fourth meal at Septime was as spectacular as all of the others one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

How did you get a reservation?

Robert Dentice

#17 Post by Robert Dentice » January 2nd, 2018, 4:01 am

Jerry Hey wrote:Robert Dentice - Our fourth meal at Septime was as spectacular as all of the others one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

I should have been more clear it was our fourth time this year and have been many times over the years. I think the best way to try to get a reservation is to call right before the first seating around 11:30 or in between first and second between 3:00-5:00. They do pick up the phone. I would say about 30 days out or very close to your date which is less likely but you might get lucky. They will also put your name on waitlist and they actually call to let you know one way or another.
Last edited by Robert Dentice on January 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyR

#18 Post by JeremyR » January 11th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Really appreciate you keeping this updated. I'm hoping to be heading back to Paris in February for a week and always looking for great places to try!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Frank Murray III » March 17th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I sent a note to Septime today. Want to try and get in there.

Has anyone dined there recently?
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by M.Kaplan » March 18th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Frank,
Definitely worth a visit if you like modern, market driven tasting menu with a focus on natural wines. The best chance of garnering what has become a difficult dinner reservation is to follow Robert's advice, above, and call them +33 1 43 67 38 29. Lunch is much easier. Online booking hasn't seemed to work for some time.
---Mark

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Frank Murray III » May 23rd, 2018, 6:54 am

I'll add to the chorus here, as I just spent 2 weeks in France (1/2 in Champagne and 1/2 in Paris). I used much of what I could glean here to make reservations for my wife and I. I have a thread going in Wine Talk, that will ultimately show menus and some food photos so I won't make them redundant here. But, here are some very brief summations.

Septime--could not get in. Tried.

Saturne--enjoyed it. 8 courses. Was 85E and we had the somm, Mees, pick up a Chenin. Turned out to be a good choice. Overall, wasn't too hard to get the rez but they were busy.

L'Assiette--loved the cassoulet. I can see why this was recommended here. Small, attentive. Got to go down into the 'cellar'. Well, it's the basement and we picked a bottle with our waiter.

Les 6 Paul Bert--terrific. Wasn't busy but we got there for lunch really early. The beet dish with the citrus and goat cheese was really good.

Pacade--just happened onto this place. Just above the 1st Arr. 33E for three courses, solid wine list, to include by the glass. The food was executed well, fresh and the inside was updated and cool.

Semilla--bingo. We ate lunch here 2 days in a row and I think for both of us (and we didn't do wine), it came to about 80E on Day 1, then yesterday was a formulae, which was 34E w/o dessert and 40E with it. I was so enamored on the first day, and my wife was equally geeked, that we went right back yesterday again. The quality, freshness and flavors of just about everything they put in front of me was spot on. I had the white bean and citrus salad there that was the best salad I have ever eaten. About fell from my chair. The chocolate mint dessert too, fantastic. If I was to give the best reco, I'd say this has to be top dog.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by alan weinberg » May 23rd, 2018, 6:37 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:Septime--could not get in. Tried.

Semilla--bingo. We ate lunch here 2 days in a row and I think for both of us (and we didn't do wine), it came to about 80E on Day 1, then yesterday was a formulae, which was 34E w/o dessert and 40E with it. I was so enamored on the first day, and my wife was equally geeked, that we went right back yesterday again. The quality, freshness and flavors of just about everything they put in front of me was spot on. I had the white bean and citrus salad there that was the best salad I have ever eaten. About fell from my chair. The chocolate mint dessert too, fantastic. If I was to give the best reco, I'd say this has to be top dog.
trying to get into Septime soon—concierge will try for me. Looked at Semilla web site and can’t find a menu or much info, though Paris by Mouth says good things, too.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by M.Kaplan » May 23rd, 2018, 8:06 pm

Alan,
Semilla is a good, modern wine bar/restaurant, owned and operated by the same people who own and operate Fish, across the street. The apartment we rent is nearby, so we sometimes eat there on Sundays (it is one of the better Sunday dinner options). Cooking can variable; however, we ate a very good and better than expected dinner there in October. The lamb for two is usually the best main on the menu, but the cote de bouef we ate along side it (there were four of us) was better. As with most eating experiences, ymmv.
---Mark

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 23rd, 2018, 8:18 pm

>> The lamb for two is usually the best main on the menu, but the cote de bouef we ate along side it (there were four of us) was better.
Lamb was fantastic. If you're going for steak, though, I'd try Brutos - Michel with the win on that one.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by alan weinberg » May 23rd, 2018, 9:40 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Jerry Hey wrote:Robert Dentice - Our fourth meal at Septime was as spectacular as all of the others one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

I should have been more clear it was our fourth time this year and have been many times over the years. I think the best way to try to get a reservation is to call right before the first seating around 11:30 or in between first and second between 3:00-5:00. They do pick up the phone. I would say about 30 days out or very close to your date which is less likely but you might get lucky. They will also put your name on waitlist and they actually call to let you know one way or another.
web site says 3 weeks prior—30 days is of course more than 4 weeks. They don’t follow their own rules? I should try?

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Frank Murray III » May 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Alan, see below. They look fairly similar, but Lunch Two has a few more items, and was formulae. The previous day, Lunch One, was a la carte. Also, as a local reference, I would put Semilla up against Marche Moderne for quality, execution and thought. It was for me that good.

PS--these may be hard to read. If you want, Alan, I can email them to you. Send me a PM with your email address if you want them that way.
Semilla--Lunch One.jpg
Semilla--Lunch One.jpg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Semilla--Lunch Two.jpg
Semilla--Lunch Two.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Frank Murray III » May 24th, 2018, 4:41 pm

PS

Also, to my previous post about where we dined, my wife reminded me as to how much she liked Le Bon Georges. This was her #2 behind Semilla. No menu to share back to you as I didn't take a photo but the wine list there is quite good, and the Somm is energetic and into it. Liked him.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by alan weinberg » May 24th, 2018, 7:52 pm

got it, Frank, merci.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by alan weinberg » May 30th, 2018, 5:22 am

woo hoo! Just confirmed for Septime in Jun. Did it via hotel concierge! Stoked.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Phil Smith » May 30th, 2018, 7:31 am

A few quick notes from a trip last week... frankly exhasuting after 5-days:

Les Crayeres (Reims): Beautiful venue. Solid, classic food experience. Obnoxiously disorganized, slow service. Some solid deals on the wine list (e.g., '10 Coche Villages @ E150) but not what I gather it used to be.

L'Assiette Champnoise (Reims): More modern 3* environment, with classically inspired dishes. Really strong starters and service component. Mains weren't quite as strong. Very broad Champagne list, but a bit younger. Some good deals here as well ('14 Raveneau Clos @ E160).

Taillevent (Paris): Lunch. Still one of my favorite overall dining experiences. Food is classic but not dated. Service may not be quite what it was in the Vrinat/Archer days, but it's still very, very good. '04 Raveneau Clos @ E200.

L'Ambroisie (Paris): Old fashioned and incredibly decadent a la carte, but certainly well executed. Think 8oz veal sweetbreads with another 8oz morels and cream, or an oz caviar/dish. Wine list is limited and expensive ('14 Ramonet 1er @ ~E260). Professional service. Everything is expensive.

Le Cinq (Paris): Probably the most top-to-bottom refined dinner we had, though a few misses on individual dishes. Some classic Le Squer Ledoyen dishes still on the menu (spaghetti, turbot, grapefruit millefeulle). Extensive wine list with reasonable pricing ('10 Raveneau Butteaux @ ~E110, '09 Rougeard Poyeaux @ ~E250). Professional, refined service. Very expensive, but given the location and overall package that's expected.

Eric Michels

#31 Post by Eric Michels » May 31st, 2018, 4:39 pm

I really appreciated this thread when planning our recent trip to Paris so wanted to add my experience for others who might reference the thread. We spent a week in late April, which turned out to be a perfect time to visit. The weather was beautiful. Our dinners are briefly described below. Lunches tended to be casual and/or build-your-own-affairs from the market.

Daroco
Our hosts suggested this place for dinner the night we arrived. Italian. Really solid pizza and a nice upscale space.

Gare Au Gorille
A suggestion taken from this thread. Overall a solid but not memorable meal. Good charcuterie tray. Two of our dishes were significantly oversalted (this coming from a guy that really likes salt). Average service.

Restaurant Le Timbre
One of the highlights of the trip. We did the tasting menu. Modern French menu. Very small room served out of the smallest kitchen I’ve ever seen. Every dish was spot in and the service was excellent. Beautifully plated dishes as well.

Bistro Paul Bert
A low point of the trip. This place has been around a long time, has a lot of press and appears on a many lists of classic bistros. They seemed to have stopped trying and started coasting some years ago. Perhaps the number of lists also contribute to the tourist trap atmosphere. Huge portions of mediocre dishes. Menu features offal in all its forms – interesting and different but not particularly well done. Indifferent service. Definitely avoid.

Arnauld Nicolas
Very spacious dining room – unfortunately they keep the lights too bright. They feature terrines and charcuterie, which were good but not the best that we had on the trip. Pleasant service. Their welcome wine poured on our arrival was a real gem from the trip – 2016 Domaine Chiroulet Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne Les Terres Blanches (available in the US for $13 a bottle – I ordered a case when we arrived home). Wine list is heavily tilted toward expensive bottles.

Ze Kitchen Galerie
Another highlight of the trip and the only starred restaurant we visited that week. Tasting menu only. Very comfortable dining room. Again I would describe it as modern French. Excellent combinations of subtle flavors. We were seated near the window into the kitchen and it was a really fun experience to watch the activity over the course of the evening. The one oddity here is that despite it being a tasting menu only place, they have a list of dishes on the menu – not so odd, right? The odd part is that they don’t serve the same dishes to each table (there are more dishes listed than courses served as a part of the menu). It meant that the table next to us had a slightly different dinner than we did. This really upset the guy at the table to the other side of us who felt that he had been shorted because he wasn’t served all of the dishes listed on the menu. Seemed strange and unnecessary to do it this way. In any case, we highly recommend this place. Very reasonably priced for the quality.

Le Verre Vole
Part wine shop/part restaurant. Tapas style. Food just ok. Tightly packed/very lively. Would not recommend overall.

Le Petit Marche
This place was a delight on our last evening. A casual neighborhood bistro. Open on Sunday. Relatively classic dishes really well prepared. Comfortable room and pleasant service.

Another nice find of the trip was the wine shop and Champagne Bar in the flagship Printemps department store. The champagne bar had a number of very nice and a few interesting bottles served by the glass. Our server was very friendly and very serious about proper wine service. I had ordered a glass of Deutz and after pouring my glass she dumped it and the remainder of the bottle because she thought that the bottle had been open slightly too long and she didn’t like the mousse as she was pouring. I can’t imagine that happening at very many wine bars back home (though it should).

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by alan weinberg » July 1st, 2018, 12:27 pm

Epicure in the Bristol: Can you give four stars? Expensive meal worth every Euro. Troisgros quality! First, it's a beautiful formal room, ample spacing between tables. Tables are set beautifully and the china/flatware gorgeous. Service is perfect, friendly and warm while still polite and efficient--very accommodating. Pacing of courses was perfect, food on point. Even the theatrical langoustine sauce preparation tableside was fun.

Amuse bouches were whimsical and delicious. Food was delicious. It's a prix fixe but changes can be made. Wine list is worthy of a 3 star, but a bit pricy. Found a 2001 Serafin Charmes Chambertin that was delicious with the cuisine, and had an overpriced Leflaive white by the glass.

Won't go into specific details of each course--menu changes--but suffice it to say that the kitchen is on its game and the food quality, preparation, and presentation were all great--no missteps.

Three Michelin stars for a decade. Not a surprise. We will be back.

Jerry Hey

#33 Post by Jerry Hey » July 1st, 2018, 4:11 pm

alan weinberg wrote:Epicure in the Bristol: Can you give four stars? Expensive meal worth every Euro. Troisgros quality! First, it's a beautiful formal room, ample spacing between tables. Tables are set beautifully and the china/flatware gorgeous. Service is perfect, friendly and warm while still polite and efficient--very accommodating. Pacing of courses was perfect, food on point. Even the theatrical langoustine sauce preparation tableside was fun.

The two times we've been have been perfect. The winelist is expensive but there are some wines that are cheaper than current retail prices. The waitstaff was friendly yet very professional and attentive, but not overly so. The food is inventive french cuisine but not over the top like some I have been to. Definitely worth a visit and three stars. Our next visit to Paris our last night is Le Cinq in the Georges V. We'll see how it compares.

Yao C

#34 Post by Yao C » July 2nd, 2018, 10:58 pm

Glad to hear Epicure getting some love! It was definitely the gastronomic highlight the last time I visited and the competition was stiff (Bocuse, David Toutain, l'Ambroisie, l'Assiette Champenoise). I particularly liked that the waitstaff weren't grave or stern, but rather all seemed to be having a good time. We were also served a remarkable dish - the poularde en vessie - which will forever remain etched in my memory and is in fact the basis of my avatar. Wines weren't cheap and I overpaid for a '98 l'Evangile, but it was a perfect match with the food and so all was forgiven [cheers.gif]

Jerry - would love to hear how Le Cinq stacks up to Epicure :)
C h 0 o n 6

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by John Davis » July 3rd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Yao C wrote:Glad to hear Epicure getting some love! It was definitely the gastronomic highlight the last time I visited and the competition was stiff (Bocuse, David Toutain, l'Ambroisie, l'Assiette Champenoise). I particularly liked that the waitstaff weren't grave or stern, but rather all seemed to be having a good time. We were also served a remarkable dish - the poularde en vessie - which will forever remain etched in my memory and is in fact the basis of my avatar. Wines weren't cheap and I overpaid for a '98 l'Evangile, but it was a perfect match with the food and so all was forgiven [cheers.gif]

Jerry - would love to hear how Le Cinq stacks up to Epicure :)
Yeah the poularde en vessie is pretty special! [cheers.gif] And one of the reasons we are considering a return!

JD
ITB

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#36 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » July 12th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Great reccos. Keep em coming!

Any thoughts on clever cocktail bars or natural wine bars? Last time I was in Paris, there was a wave of noveau hipster cocktail joints (this was 2013). Curious how that has evolved.

F

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by M.Kaplan » July 12th, 2018, 8:24 pm

I’m a bit of a broken record about this: my favorite wine bars featuring mostly (although not exclusively) natural wines are the Avant Comptoir trio in the 6th (Odeon): Avant Comptoir de la Terre (the original), Avant Comptoir de la Mere (next door), and Avant Comptoir du Marche (around the corner and up the street). The food at all three is excellent. We spend a month in Paris during Sept-Oct and I stop by every day for lunch if I’m in the neighborhood at lunch time or on the way home (we stay nearby) if not.

Other wine bars worth popping into if you're nearby:
Frenchie Wine Bar
Vivant Wine Bar
Semilla
Juveniles
Verjus Wine Bar
Ellsworth
Mr. T (wine/cocktail bar and casual restaurant owned by Guillaume Guedj of Passage 53)
---Mark

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by alan weinberg » July 15th, 2018, 5:36 pm

John Davis wrote:Yeah the poularde en vessie is pretty special! [cheers.gif] And one of the reasons we are considering a return!
JD
the bladder just allows the chicken to steam, no crispness for the skin. Had it at Paul Bocuse and wasn’t impressed. Much prefer a roasted bird.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John Davis » July 15th, 2018, 7:06 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
John Davis wrote:Yeah the poularde en vessie is pretty special! [cheers.gif] And one of the reasons we are considering a return!
JD
the bladder just allows the chicken to steam, no crispness for the skin. Had it at Paul Bocuse and wasn’t impressed. Much prefer a roasted bird.
Different strokes I guess....
JD
ITB

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#40 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » July 31st, 2018, 7:42 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Chateaubriand? Is the "no substitution" tasting menu vegetarian/pescatarian accommodating?

Robert Dentice

#41 Post by Robert Dentice » August 1st, 2018, 10:09 am

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Chateaubriand? Is the "no substitution" tasting menu vegetarian/pescatarian accommodating?
I have not been in a year or so. Other places have been vying for my attention. I have had many, many great meals here. My wife is a pescatarian and we have never had a problem but we have dined here many times in the past and know Inaki.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by M.Kaplan » August 1st, 2018, 10:44 am

Robert Dentice wrote:
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Chateaubriand? Is the "no substitution" tasting menu vegetarian/pescatarian accommodating?
I have not been in a year or so. Other places have been vying for my attention. I have had many, many great meals here. My wife is a pescatarian and we have never had a problem but we have dined here many times in the past and know Inaki.
After one poor meal our first visit in 2011, we took a chance and returned in 2013 and have returned annually since. There are enough vegetable/pescatarian dishes that it shouldn't be a problem to skip the one or two animal protein dishes. I think there was only one (tartare) our last visit. Be aware if you are adverse to natural wines. I haven't had a problem finding wine on their list that I want to drink.
---Mark

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

#43 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 1st, 2018, 7:25 pm

I love the hipster wines! I only wished Au Passage and Septime were open during our stint :/

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by M.Kaplan » August 1st, 2018, 8:39 pm

August? August/first week of September can be tough. Saturne is open for dinner. They will work with dietary preferences and have an excellent natural wine list.
---Mark

Robert Dentice

#45 Post by Robert Dentice » August 2nd, 2018, 4:43 am

Yard is where all the cool kids hang to drink Natural wine these days. And it is open on Sunday.

Also here is a tip I am hearing raves about this place from locals in the know:

https://parisbymouth.com/les-enfants-du-marche/

Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated December 2017)

#46 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » August 15th, 2018, 8:07 am

Left Paris this morning. Not a ton of options given the August holiday but a memorable trip. Le Dauphin is just t place and was a great book end around Chateaubriand which was pretty good. Can throw some suggestions when I’m back stateside if anyone would find it helpful.

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jim Friedman » August 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

We left last Saturday. Le Cinq was the only high-end place open for August and lunch there was outstanding. So was the Ravenau Chablis at a decent price.
L'Ardoise and Lorraine were also very good.
Paris in August has much less traffic and it seemed like fewer tourists. It was hot but wonderful.

Barry L i p t o n

#48 Post by Barry L i p t o n » October 30th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Jerry Hey wrote:
July 1st, 2018, 4:11 pm
alan weinberg wrote:Epicure in the Bristol: Can you give four stars? Expensive meal worth every Euro. Troisgros quality! First, it's a beautiful formal room, ample spacing between tables. Tables are set beautifully and the china/flatware gorgeous. Service is perfect, friendly and warm while still polite and efficient--very accommodating. Pacing of courses was perfect, food on point. Even the theatrical langoustine sauce preparation tableside was fun.

The two times we've been have been perfect. The winelist is expensive but there are some wines that are cheaper than current retail prices. The waitstaff was friendly yet very professional and attentive, but not overly so. The food is inventive french cuisine but not over the top like some I have been to. Definitely worth a visit and three stars. Our next visit to Paris our last night is Le Cinq in the Georges V. We'll see how it compares.
Hi Jerry;

I've been looking forward to the Le Cinq - Epicure comparison. Did you already dine there?

Thanks!

Jerry Hey

#49 Post by Jerry Hey » October 31st, 2018, 4:40 pm

Yes - Epicure last December and Le Cinq just recently in September. More inventive modern style food at Le Cinq with the gratineed onions and black market beef, two outstanding dishes. Epicure has a better and more reasonably priced wine list, and also some classic dishes. Both are top tiered restaurants with great service and either would be a memorable night.

Robert Dentice

Re: Eating and Drinking in Paris (Updated December 2018)

#50 Post by Robert Dentice » November 27th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Just back from a trip to Paris. We decided to skip the higher end restaurants this trip and go more casual with less planning. It is amazing how fast the Paris restaurant scene changes.

First meal was at Les Enfants Du Marche in the open market in the Marais. Just outstanding French cuisine and overall experience. Despite the 40 or so degree weather it was a wonderful lunch and exactly the type of experience we were looking for this trip. My friend Aaron who joined us wrote one of the first reviews earlier this year.

https://parisbymouth.com/les-enfants-du-marche/

For dinner we went to C.A.M. which is a Korean inspired, very casual, small plates restaurants frequented by many of the top chefs in Paris. The food inventive and overall excellent. The Chef from Les Enfants Du Marche joined us for dinner.

http://www.parisfoodaffair.com/c-a-m-import-export/

More to come....

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”