Mexico City?

Recommendations anyone? We are kicking around a few days end of Feb 2016 for anniversary as we never get enough city time, and yet can’t really leave home a far distance secondary to our then 6 y/o.

Three restaurants fairly regularly make world’s top 100: Pujol, Quintonil & Biko. Interested to hear about them and any other gems, dives AOK in our book.

TIA.

1 Like

I recommend the Saturday street market in Polanco for street food - there’s good street food all over the city, but the stands here have some of the best I tried, and there are several stands so you can get a nice mix. And if you see an orange barrel of tepache, get a cup of that to drink. I haven’t been to the restaurants you mention, but all three are in Polanco so maybe you could hit the street market for a Saturday lunch and then one of the restaurants for dinner. It’s a great city for food!

Tianguis Polanco Sabados: Saturday, 9-5, Eastern end of Parque Lincoln.

1 Like

Thanks Jon. Love markets and carts so that will be useful information

I would recommend the St. Regis and Pujol. I have friends who live there and I can gather an extensive list of street food/small restaurants if you like. Another city destination to consider is San Miguel de Allende.

Thx John. The St Regis there is older, still nice though? We are considering San Miguel de Allende as well.

You have dined at Pujol?

Glenn, Do you know Nick Zukin? If not, I recommend you buy him dinner next time you’re in Portland in exchange for bending his ear on Mexico. He’s very knowledgeable. Here’s a link to his thoughts on Mexico City on the Portland food board he mods.

http://portlandfood.org/topic/13854-mexico-city/#entry168866

Talk to Frank Murray, he goes there regularly:

Personally, Mexico City is just to big for me, though I haven’t been there in 20 years. I’d prefer some place a bit smaller, like Oaxaca.

Frank and I have spoken. Growing up in Brooklyn & LI and living in a town of 2800 I like the big city.

Will you please go to Seoul for me? And then Tokyo? :wink: Nothing I hate worse than the concrete jungle…

Glenn:

One of my dearest friends lives in Monterrey, MX so I passed on your query. His reply:

Well they should stay in the Polanco area, there are couple of good hotels. My favorite Las Alcobas, then W, J Marriot and Intercontinental!!!

Restaurantes: Dulce Patria, Anatol, Contramar, Mercado Roma very different, Pujol, Puerto Madero, Tori Tori, Bond… around Polanco and Condesa there are great small restaurants and nice walk.

Hope that it helps.

C

Can’t go overseas until Solly is older. Non starter. You want out of the jungle and need some sand just drive N, 75° on the beach this weekend.

I’m sure this is good advice if you’re looking for the very best hotels, but personally I’d rather stay in Condesa/Roma than Polanco. Just a matter of preference. A quick Google image search of each gives a feeling for the difference between these neighborhoods.

My fiancee and I are going in September. We have some of the same restaurants on our list. I will make sure to update this thread after our visit.

We ended up eating at Pujol, which I thought was amazing. Second best meal of my life (only behind Cyrus). I thought everything was fantastic. I particularly loved the corn dish and the octopus dish. We got a tour of the kitchen, which was really cool. One of the best dining experiences of my life.

Equally enjoyable were the tacos. We ate a lot of tacos and street food. I love the range that Mexico City has. You can eat amazing for $4 and then get one of the best meals of your life for $125/person.

We also ate at Eno, which was a really delightful cafe/bistro. I remember leaving Eno after having spent something like $22 for two people. We had eaten at Buvette not too long before. I believe our bill at Buvette was $80. Mexico City is such a great value. I have recommended Mexico City to many friends after our visit.

We also did a cooking course, which was a super fun day. We toured a market, learned about ingredients, and then made a mole. I’m not a huge fan of mole and wasn’t super excited about the cooking course, as I consider myself to be a pretty good home chef, but did it because my fiancee wanted to. We had such a great time. They did such a good job of explaining traditional Mexican ingredients, techniques, and recipes, I loved it. And then on top of that we tried a bunch of Mezcals.

We had an amazing time in MC and I can’t wait to go back.

What’s the wine scene like there? I ask in terms of internationally representative lists, national/local wine pride/quality and overall consumer awareness of wine as a component of a great meal.

Rick Bayless may not be the unanimous choice for a tour guide but there’s enough crossover to places mentioned already to give this a look:

We ate at Azul Historico, De Mar a Mar, had cocktails at Limantour, and ate at the markets.

I would recommend all of those. We did not eat at Maximo, but plan to on our next visit.

Didn’t have any wine, so can’t comment on the lists. Did cocktails with meals and lots of tequila/mezcal. We did buy a bottle from Baja, but have not tried it yet.

Any updates on must-eat or must-see or must-do for Mexico City? We’re going between Christmas and New Year’s and probably staying in Condesa.

G

Resuscitating this thread.

Went pre COVID had some fantastic meals at Pujol, Lardo, Rosetta, and MeRoma. Heading back in a few weeks. Any recent visits and tips?

Right now, we’re considering Quintonil and Contramar. We will def go again to Lardo and MeRoma.

Cheers